College + Alcohol - How do I solve this problem?

Options

Replies

• opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    When I drank alcohol and wanted to stay slim, I drank Dry Martini and soda. 48 calories. Soda water has no calories. Lots of ice and a slice of lemon makes it lush. It worked for me.
  • shapelyJ
    shapelyJ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When I drank alcohol and wanted to stay slim, I drank Dry Martini and soda. 48 calories. Soda water has no calories. Lots of ice and a slice of lemon makes it lush. It worked for me.

:happy:
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yeap - grow up and learn when to say "No" :-p :drinker:

in college off course...!

I know .. crazy me right? expecting adults in college to be somewhat inteligent :-p
  • shapelyJ
    shapelyJ Posts: 57 Member
    Options

I know .. crazy me right? expecting adults in college to be somewhat inteligent :-p

I don't understand why I have to be labeled an idiot just for wanting to drink alcohol? :indifferent:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Find good friends who have the same goals you have.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

I don't understand why I have to be labeled an idiot just for wanting to drink alcohol? :indifferent:

I suppose on one level it is a bit harsh. But on the other hand, throwing poison down your throat for "fun" can't be that smart can it? Anyway, pass me the single malt.

Thing is, 20 years ago, people got just as drunk, beer would be 50p a pint, yet there weren't many fat people. What's the difference in booze between then and now?
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Change your major to a science major. You won't have time for drinking.

also drinking and college is an excuse.

Law school and I barely have time to sleep, let alone drink.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Booze leads to stuff to eat while drinking and hungover cravings.

Best not to drink altogether. If you really have to, vodka + diet soda.
  • zman1313
    zman1313 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Alcohol gets demonized a lot on this site. I'm 21, in college, and I drink mostly every weekend. Sometimes heavily. I have a full time job, go to class full time, and hve managed to lose almost 75 pounds since March 1st. I'm far from being "immature" as many of you are labeling those who chose to drink alcohol. I don't judge anybody for not drinking alcohol, but it always seems like those who choose not to indulge have this ego to them where they're better than others.

I know that alcohol isn't great for me, but I also know that I only have one life, and if drinking brings me enjoyment on the weekends, then I'll consume it. If I had to completely cut out all my favorite food and drinks out of my diet, I probably wouldn't be on MFP right now.

OP, your best bet is going to be mixed drinks (using diet soda, of course,) although, personally, I am very strict with myself during the week. I NEVER go over my daily calories, rarely eat back exercise calories, etc. Yes, I use a food scale. The weekend is "me time" and if I want to go out to eat with friends and have a few beers, I don't let it bug me, because I worked hard all week and if I go over by a few hundred calories, then so be it.
  • mondak757
    Options
    ^ ha I'm in Law School as well, cheers to having no life right? ANYWAY I was also a science major in undergrad and did drink occasionally, so there's that. When I drink now (which is rarely) I usually stick with liquor and diet soda like others have said but the real problem is what you eat while drinking...one too many and you will choose those cheese sticks over carrot sticks in a heartbeat!

p.s. it's spelled intelligent ...;-)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    make it fit or don't drink.

getdrunknotfat.com might help.
  • BarbieFromHellx
    BarbieFromHellx Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Weirdly enough when I started university in the first year, I actually lost weight. I drank mostly diet coke and vodka and didn't eat much because I was nervous.
  • TXGirl78028
    Options
    Alternate each drink with a glass/bottle of water. Heck, just walk around with water. It looks like vodka and you'll get to enjoy watching other people be drunk.

^^^^This! Especially that last part.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i was active enough in college that it was a wash.
    and i would party pretty hard 2-3 times a week.

walking/skateboarding/biking everywhere.

stumbling from party to party.

getting up after falling down repeatedly (thats like burpees).

you got this, OP!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with some alcohol here or there. Don't make it too difficult. Simply budget the calories and be done with it.
  • marie3221
    marie3221 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    drinking alcohol can effect your liver, as I am sure you already knew that. If your liver is not healthy, you willnot lose weight, period. So look at how badly you want to reach your weight goal, then determine if drinking will even be worth it. Sorry to be a downer, but there you have it. Even at a young age, and only drinking on the weekends will effect your goals.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    college? I only remember a hang over.

Drink whisky. Be epic.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    College only involves drinking if you chose to drink. Adult life is the same way. There is no situation in which you are forced to drink so do not pretend that it isn't a choice. That said if you do choose to drink that is fine. If you choose to do so while trying to lose weight then just log the calories and stay within your goal. This could very well mean that you only have a one or two cups or glasses but that is how that goes.

So how do you solve this "problem"? Same way you solve any "problem" like this one, willpower and deciding to do what you need to do to accomplish your goals in life.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    drinking alcohol can effect your liver, as I am sure you already knew that. If your liver is not healthy, you willnot lose weight, period. So look at how badly you want to reach your weight goal, then determine if drinking will even be worth it. Sorry to be a downer, but there you have it. Even at a young age, and only drinking on the weekends will effect your goals.

Well although I'm not going to encourage drinking or suggest that it is somehow healthy the idea that you cannot lose weight while simultaneously damanging your liver is of course untrue.