How much money do you spend on groceries?

Options

Replies

• beaniepink
    Options
    Under $100/week for a family of 3. We use tons of coupons paired with store sales. To really make it work, you have to get used to buying what is a good deal that week - ie, if peaches are on sale this week, we have peaches, if berries are a good deal, we have berries. If berries are not on sale, we don't get them. I buy whatever brand of yogurt is on sale, that sort of thing. For healthy eating, remember that you can find coupons and good savings on frozen veggies, including organic sometimes. This website has great advice for starting to coupon: http://www.southernsavers.com/learn/.
  • CherylLee77
    CherylLee77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I spend over $1000 a month and we have 2 gardens, hunt, and fish. But then we also have 10 kids ;)
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Family of 5- $300 a week in addition to that we go through 4-6 gallons of milk each week that we buy on a daily basis... My husband and I are eating healthy, organic fruits veggies and meats/fish. I buy some snacks for the kids but mostly granola bars, chex mix type things. Some weeks it could be less but we average around $300. :ohwell:
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    £100 a week ($168), for a family of 6 - includes food, alcohol, cleaning, personal hygiene, nappies etc.

I'm pretty close to this, but for family of 5.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Same spot as you - lots of produce and no meat for me, just fish, and The Hubs eats some meat. We spend about $125 - $150 per week and don't eat any meals out. I don't regret a dime of it!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    For myself, my husband and son (he is 20) who both have very physical jobs and require lunches packed we spend about 1000$ a month.

That does not include liquor, personal items etc.

We buy whatever we want usually. We do however buy in bulk when we can.

75% of what is bought would be considered "healthy". The rest of prepackaged items for lunches, snacks etc.

We do however have a garden in the summer from which I can veggies, make spagetti sauce, salsa, jams and since my son and father in law are hunters we also have wild game in the freezer most of the time. I also cook a lot such as bread, cookies etc.
  • smokinkudzu
    smokinkudzu Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    primarily spend about $120 a week at ShopRite.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I probably spend upwards of $100. Maybe $125. I buy a lot of meat and some organic food. I eat a ton of protein and produce and don't fill in with any cheap grains: a whole family pack of chicken breasts, 2 steaks, a carton of eggs, a package of bacon, and usually one more pack of meat: sometimes beef or pork roast, and lean ground beef or turkey. That in meat alone is expensive. I eat 2700 calories per day for one person, very little of it processed/pre-packaged, so fueling that kind of diet is expensive. I get all of my fish from nature. Produce is also quite expensive where I live. I rarely eat out though, so this accounts for the fact that nearly all of my food is eaten at home or prepared at home and brought somewhere else.
  • cherrylf
    cherrylf Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    For me alone it is about 120 a week. But I have found that now that I don't eat out at fast food places, I am actually saving money. Before i would buy healthy, but lots would go to waste. Also I have fallen in love with those green food containers that keep food fresher longer. With it just being me I can buy a bit more in bulk when on sale and it will last.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    On average my boyfriend and I will spend about $70-$80 on groceries every two weeks. I have a schedule that doesn't allow me to cook at least two days a week, so we tend to eat out more than we should. $40 of it goes to our bi-weekly produce box, and the rest goes to chicken breasts, bread, eggs, milk and some other type of meat.
  • UsernameisNick
    Options
    $15-$20 a week for myself.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    When I lived in the States I spent about $120 a month on groceries I bought fresh produce where I could and cooked at home regularly. America is just so cheap!
    Here in New Zealand I spend $70 or so a week. I have a good eye for things on sale and tend to eat dependent on what is cheap this week at the supermarket.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    We spend about $150-$180 every two weeks for the two of us. I plan what I buy ahead of time, look for deals in flyers and we also have a small garden (and family with a huge garden) so this time of year I get a lot veggies for free. I buy eggs at a local farm and I limit my meat intake but we get our chicken from a local free range grass fed poultry place. We tend to eat out once every two weeks and go to a family dinner once a week as well.
  • dottyb1tchmouse
    dottyb1tchmouse Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from $90-$130 a week for two people. We eat mostly organic but not 100%.
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Dang. I am amazed at how little some of you spend! I realize mileage varies, and a lot depends on where you live (groceries are v. expensive where I live) and whether you regularly eat meals out, etc., but --

family of four - two adults, and two kids who eat like adults (seriously). If I include diapers, wipes, etc., I spend about $250-$300 a week.
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    £15-20 a week excluding alcohol. I can't believe how much some people spend, what do you buy?! Or is food just a lot more expensive in the US?
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Wow last month spent $163 x 4wks for a family of 4. May have been some diapers in there.
  • qmmanager69
    qmmanager69 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I spend about $140 a week for two adults and two children.

We're a family of 4 and this is our general budget also. We pretty much only each chicken and fish for meat.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I shop for myself so I don't need much and I try to meal prep Sunday nights so I have food for the rest of the week. I use local farmer's markets and find good deals. I'd say I spend about $30 bucks on groceries or maybe $50 if I buy for two weeks total. At a local market I was able to buy 3 huge zucchinis (I use them for noodles instead of regular noodles), green beans, strawberries, a basket of plums, cucumbers, and 2 mangos for no more than $14. The rest usually goes to meat/fish or if I want someting specific that I can't get at a local market. I also try to get creative with using up all the food. I don't buy milk or cheese though I do eat a lot of eggs.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Somewhere in the $100-$120 range. That includes dinners for both of us and breakfast, lunch and snacks for me as well as cleaning products, etc. We also usually spend $20-$40 per week on one take out dinner.