How much money do you spend on groceries?

Options

Replies

• Daytonsmommy
    Daytonsmommy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Around $200 a week for 2 adults and a growing 5 year old. We also eat out probably 2 times a week (i.e. Publix sub, or subway, etc.)
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    $250 per month.

We are a family of 5.

Organic, fresh and a couple treats + pricesmart stuff.

Wow! Guatemala must be very inexpensive.

Fast food is expensive, fresh produce is always at hand and much cheaper. :smile:
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    This thread and mint has made me realize I have a problem with money.

I spend about 2000 bucks a month on food and dining for myself and my girlfriend.

We eat out a lot.

I like steak.

And good beer.

I think I spent 50 bucks on a cheeseburger the other night.

Yeaaaaaaaa. :ohwell:

But was the cheeseburger delicious?
  • Annabear3
    Annabear3 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I spend about $200 a week, but that's for a family of 5. Sometimes I can stretch 2 weeks in with $200-$300. It's gone up since I stopped buying so much of the ready made processed stuff and started buying fresh and organic (when I can). I still buy some quick and easy foods for my kids. Now that my kids and husband are going back to school this week, it might level out a bit since I won't have 4 people at my house grazing in my kitchen all day.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    whow, clearly i need to budget better! I spend about 100 a week just for me!...mostly fresh veggies, meats..etc
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I already added to this thread, but wanted to share, my 100 dollars per week for 2 adults and 2 small kids, is for a family who lives in the rural Midwest, one of the lowest cost of living areas in the USA.

In addition to living in a low cost of living area, I receive WIC benefits (vouchers for whole grain cereal, beans, juice,milk,eggs,whole grain bread) and am surrounded by farms/gardens, so I get a lot of fruits and veggies for free in the summer.

I do include diapers, shampoo,dog food, beer/wine, laundry supplies, school milk.... In that budget, so it's probably more like in the mid 70's for actual food. I feel okay with this number, and i couldn't lower much without losing some quality of life.

When my kids get older, I fully expect this amount to go up, because they will need to eat more!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    About $100/week for a family of 2 adults/2 Pre-K aged kids. It helps that we belong to BJs and buy milk there (which is significantly cheaper usually). We also belong to a Summer CSA (which I already bought into). I get a portion of eggs/veggies from that. You can factor in about another $25 on my tab there.

We spend between $20-30 on going out to eat during the week.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the week. I'm a farmer's daughter, and my parents are awesome, so we generally do not have to buy pork or beef products, we get those straight from the farm, for free. But for everything else, some weeks we can get buy with $30, other weeks it is closer to $100 or more. Tonight's dinner is super cheap (unstuffed cabbage rolls) and will make food for tonight and the next couple of lunches, for just a few bucks. However, most meals aren't that cheap, then it can go up a lot, depending on what we make.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I spend $50 - $60 per week for my son and I. We eat a lot of dinners with my grandparents, though.
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Probably $800 a month for two adults and two small children. We don't make any effort to save though. We just buy what we want.

Same but that would include everything-not just food. Paper towels, cleaning products,etc.
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I spend $800 a month for a family of 4. I guess that is about $200 a week. I buy all organic food and baby food pouches...organic whole, 2% and skim.... grass fed meats...

This budget also includes things like: detergent, soap, paper towel, toilet paper, etc. It's TOUGH to stick to that budget....I pretty much can only buy what's on sale with the exception of baby food and milk.
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I feed 5 people, with food allergies and Celiac disease, in Northern BC Canada, for way way too much. Usually around $250/week, so $1000 a month. We have 3 grocery stores, nothing like a Costco, and our Walmart doesn't sell meat or produce.

A loaf of gf bread is $7, a container of dairy free milk is $5, $12/pack of chicken breast (4 in a pack) Ot adds up fast.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I spend about $400-$600 a month on food between me and my boyfriend.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    whow, clearly i need to budget better! I spend about 100 a week just for me!...mostly fresh veggies, meats..etc

I spent around the same when I was single.
  • kmariet7
    kmariet7 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    175-200 weekly for 2 adults, 3 kids, and daycare kids....
  • ANTlSOClAL
    Options
    Probably like $200 a month. Sometimes more.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    €130/month on me alone. My husband buys his own food.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    About $250 a month for just myself. (Does not include household goods or cat food)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    $300-400 a week.
  • wgaue
    wgaue Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I spend $125-$130 weekly for 3 people.