How much money do you spend on groceries?

Options

Replies

• lmann72
    lmann72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Dang. I am amazed at how little some of you spend! I realize mileage varies, and a lot depends on where you live (groceries are v. expensive where I live) and whether you regularly eat meals out, etc., but --

family of four - two adults, and two kids who eat like adults (seriously). If I include diapers, wipes, etc., I spend about $250-$300 a week.

We are more like this - between Costco and three grocery stores - we can easily spend $500 every two weeks for five people. We buy mostly fresh everything and organic/grassfed meat. We pack our lunches and only eat out on the weekends. It may seem like more than normal, but I see it an investment in our lives.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I spend about $120 every other week for 2 adults. That does not include my Quest bar habit.. that's probably about $40 a month. We eat out together once a week, I never get lunch out, he gets lunch out a few times a week.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I spend between 100-200 for a family of 4 every two weeks.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Our budget is $125/week (~$500/month) for a family of 5 (all boys, and one's a teenager). Things are tight, so no organic (unless it's cheaper--it sometimes is), lots of bulk items bought (bags of chicken breasts, dry beans, oats, etc.), mostly scratch cooking (except for the treats and extras bought with the "rainy day" fun money). I'm a coupon queen, store brand lover, and farmers' market bargain hunter. We eat simply, and as well rounded (nutrient wise and indulgent wise) as possible.

ETA: Food only. Toiletries/cleaning supplies are minimal--maybe $50/month or less? IDK--the only paper products we buy is TP--and a bar of real soap, borax, washing soda, and vinegar are about all one needs to clean everything in a house, including people--those things are cheap.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    $250 per month.

We are a family of 5.

Organic, fresh and a couple treats + pricesmart stuff.
  • VenusSparks
    Options
    Very tight budget so anywhere from $50-$70/wk for me and my husband. If organic is on sale then I get it but if not, the dirty veggies work just fine lol. Everything I buy is healthy except for my husband's ravioli and Vienna sausage. Those are his treats. He gets 5 cans/wk lol
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I spend over $1000 a month and we have 2 gardens, hunt, and fish. But then we also have 10 kids ;)

what.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    $200 - $300 per week for a family of 4. If we have to restock meat, poultry, fish, etc it's usually on the higher end.
  • Emilyoutland
    Emilyoutland Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For a woman, man, and an 11 year old boy we spend between $100 and $125 per week on food only. We don't eat out, and we buy organic when its comparitively priced. Our diet is exteremely healthy with lots of fruits and vegetables, and our protein intake is relatively high. I eat gluten free and have a legume allergy so we spend a little more on substitutes sometimes.
    Near Portland Oregon
  • Sugartoes44
    Options
    Too friggin' much
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    About $100. We just spent $200 at BJs yesterday but that was after eating the refrigerator bare and going on vacation for a week.

About $50 of it will go into the crockpot to make beef stew for me tonight that will yield me 10 or 11 servings for lunch so that will be pretty cost effective.

Breakfast is either a smoothie (protein powder, banana, berries, spinach or kale) or eggs (3 whites, 3 whole) guacamole and bacon.

Dinner is a protein and vegetables. I will usually do a protein shake after workouts as well.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I spend on average $150 a week for two people, this includes cleaning supplies and toiletries and paper products.

Edit because I saw another poster mention this: That amount doesn't include my Quest bars :heart:
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Family of 4: just for food: ~$130. Every other week we hit up walmart for other things like cleaning supplies, diapers, toothpaste, etc. That usually runs up to another $100 when we go. I do try to watch for sales and get coupons for stuff I know we like and will eat/use.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    We spend $75 per week on groceries, which includes toiletries, paper products, etc. This doesn't include medicine or alcohol. This covers me, hubby, two teenage boys, one preteen girl, and two cats.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Probably about $100 / week on average just for myself. Add in my dogs food and it just gets worse. lol
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    For 2 adults we spend about $110-130/week on groceries. I buy most of my fruits and veggies, cheese, eggs from our farmers market when in season and winter at the grocery stores. We have a meat CSA we are part of and get meat monthly. Just found a local dairy farmer and started getting milk from them as well.

I keep prepackaged foods to a minimum and cook from scratch most of the time
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    This varies so much. My husband tends to be out of town for weeks at a time and our food budget drops significantly when it is just myself and the kids (8 year old and 1 year old). I find if I buy my bulk stuff while he is gone then I can even things out a little bit.

In the course of a month we burn through about $600, including my once a week takeout lunch, hubbies takeout lunch once a week and our once a month dinner out.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    $250 per month.

We are a family of 5.

Organic, fresh and a couple treats + pricesmart stuff.

Wow! Guatemala must be very inexpensive.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    We spend $75 per week on groceries, which includes toiletries, paper products, etc. This doesn't include medicine or alcohol. This covers me, hubby, two teenage boys, one preteen girl, and two cats.

OMG! That is SO inexpensive. What do you guys eat - can't believe it includes non food items too.

Where do you live?

Gosh...it costs about $6 - 7 for a carton of organic eggs here or about half for conventional - (Canada - major city center)
  • Ginger046
    Ginger046 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    About £30 each week, but usually one week out of the month i dont need to buy anything :) Thats for 2 of us