Finding Meaning & Delivering Confessions

Options

Replies

• MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Fair - with you personally. - my point came off as far to personal. My mind is in constant turmoil and debate - there is rarely a moment of rest. - now as my ideal ideas of virtue run harmonious with my action I think my body and mind will be more 'at ease' - but for now its constant adaption and growing.

OP your hubris seems to be your Achilles heel as you have demonstrated in many a thread, you constantly withdraw comments admitting fault but follow it up with further ego driven statements and proclamations. Adapt to be adept. Follow up your statements about self reevaluation with action and maybe consider the delivery of your posts, responses etc and people may take you more seriously.

I am still unsure if you are a master troll or are someone who repeatedly displays a truly narcissistic personality that is all to ready to be dismissive of others so readily.

Lol. Just a side note - I just learned what 'hubris' meant like a month ago - truly one of my favorite words. Makes me smile every time I hear or see it.

I appreciate your observation - I can see your point.

I am however not a narcissist. Watch and wait, the love of people will most likely be my undoing.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You didn't actually submit research for your biography. You submitted a large, awkward, random assemblage of sentences. In fact, the sentences you apparently kidnapped in the dead of night and forced into this violent and arbitrary plan of yours clearly seemed to be placed on the thread against their will. Reading your post(s)/responses was like watching unfamiliar, uncomfortable people interact at a cocktail party that no one wanted to attend in the first place. You didn't submit research. You submitted a hostage situation.

No, no..I regret bringing up the biography - none of that had anything to do with this.

^I like your point though - things should be elaborated more basically for everyone since I'm specifically trying to hit the average person and wake up or at least communicate with his 'self'. No, this was simply to get - and I thought it was super clear on my 1st post - simply to know if positive disintegration could be taken seriously by the gifted and if any of the gifted had already stumbled on to existential philosophy as a coping mechanism for dealing with the absurdity and void.
    The thing is that no matter how gifted a person is, that person only knows what that person has been educated on. And not everyone, no matter their intelligence, is familiar with philosophy and psychology at the level you're speaking. So you're speaking down to anyone who isn't an expert on those things, either by profession, formal education or simply reading about it out of interest.

I am not at that level, though looking things up made them clear enough to understand the concepts. I shouldn't have had to do that work. You wanted something from people and then asked them to do extra work to give it to you. The only reason I did is that I'm naturally curious and I like to learn new things.

He's not speaking of them at a particularly high level. It's coming off as very autodiadactic and not very seasoned. If he did have the advanced level understanding that he pretends to want to engage at, he would be able to present simple points in simple ways. And he'd probably find the MFP audience to be boring as they wouldn't have the context to respond in a way to take the thoughts to the next level.

ETA - Updated with better term.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    You didn't actually submit research for your biography. You submitted a large, awkward, random assemblage of sentences. In fact, the sentences you apparently kidnapped in the dead of night and forced into this violent and arbitrary plan of yours clearly seemed to be placed on the thread against their will. Reading your post(s)/responses was like watching unfamiliar, uncomfortable people interact at a cocktail party that no one wanted to attend in the first place. You didn't submit research. You submitted a hostage situation.

No, no..I regret bringing up the biography - none of that had anything to do with this.

^I like your point though - things should be elaborated more basically for everyone since I'm specifically trying to hit the average person and wake up or at least communicate with his 'self'. No, this was simply to get - and I thought it was super clear on my 1st post - simply to know if positive disintegration could be taken seriously by the gifted and if any of the gifted had already stumbled on to existential philosophy as a coping mechanism for dealing with the absurdity and void.

Honestly, positive disintegration looks like a sophomoric attempt to appear "special."

You might want to check out Mezirow's Transformative Learning Theory - though I haven't seen that it has more real-world application than straight up Cognitive/Constructivist Learning Theories.

^haslow was friends with Dabrowski and he appreciated the idea. I will look into Mezirow's transformative learning theory.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Kierkegaard is for chumps.

:angry:

Care to elaborate on that? I look up to him a great, great deal. - He provided more insight for the individual then even Nietzsche.

than even*

I love you, man.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

The thing is that no matter how gifted a person is, that person only knows what that person has been educated on. And not everyone, no matter their intelligence, is familiar with philosophy and psychology at the level you're speaking. So you're speaking down to anyone who isn't an expert on those things, either by profession, formal education or simply reading about it out of interest.

I am not at that level, though looking things up made them clear enough to understand the concepts. I shouldn't have had to do that work. You wanted something from people and then asked them to do extra work to give it to you. The only reason I did is that I'm naturally curious and I like to learn new things.

He's not speaking of them at a particularly high level. It's coming off as very autodiadactic and not very seasoned. If he did have the advanced level understanding that he pretends to want to engage at, he would be able to present simple points in simple ways. And he'd probably find the MFP audience to be boring as they wouldn't have the context to respond in a way to take the thoughts to the next level.

ETA - Updated with better term.
    I should say, rather, that he's using terms and referencing psychologists and philosophers that only those who have specifically studied them will know about. Either way, he's asking people to do extra work in order to give him free information.
  • helenarriaza
    Options

I'll check it out - I'm fairly certain I don't display narcissist character traits.

I take criticism rather well - I constantly learn from doing so.
    I show empathy to those I feel pity for, and never behave cruel towards them.
    I do have a strong will to power, but I don't feel the need to behave cruel as I gain stature - even to those I may not be fond of.
    I am an extreme optimist - hence me fighting for existentialism in this moral vacuum.
    I don't sleep with strangers.
    You used the word "I" 10 times in your example of how you don't display narcissistic traits.

I love you too.
  • helenarriaza
    Options

I agree this will not end profitably, however the book has been on my head and page screaming to be wrote for years, so I have been plowing through it, and am finding it is a process of sublimation for me - it is sorta self-psyche work.

"screaming to be 'wrote'..."

What's your IQ again?

burn.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Honestly, positive disintegration looks like a sophomoric attempt to appear "special."

You might want to check out Mezirow's Transformative Learning Theory - though I haven't seen that it has more real-world application than straight up Cognitive/Constructivist Learning Theories.

^haslow was friends with Dabrowski and he appreciated the idea. I will look into Mezirow's transformative learning theory.

Really, though, you can just tell adults "this is why you need to know this" and they'll take care of the transformative thing themselves. Occasionally, after a couple of pilots, there are times where you notice that people assume that understand the concept more than they do, but that's mostly going to be taken care of if you provide sufficient practice and feedback.

The levels described in positive disintegration seem to be pretty pedestrian - most people I know who are over the age of 30 have addressed all of these to a basic degree, except they don't require manic-depression to make this happen.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    We all know that the ladies love complex sentence structure and an overuse of the thesaurus.

Dawkins said in our sexual selection the brain is our peacocks tail! :wink:

Actually it's nothing like a peacock's tail. Peacock's tails are hard to explain in evolutionary terms - it's more of an advert for good genes, as in if it can survive with a ridiculously big and pretty tail which has no evolutionary advantage and is probably a hinderance to survival, it can't have that bad genetics in everything other than its tail. But higher cognitive functions that come from the human brain including the ability to construct complex sentences, make fancy tools and all the rest conveys a huge evolutionary advantage in and of itself, and sexual selection for people who can construct complex sentences would directly increase the survival of your offspring. Not hard to explain at all, and not something that exists for no other reason than to advertise your good genes to attract a mate.
  • helenarriaza
    Options
    10/10 would not read your auto/biography if I were offered money.

Amen.
  • helenarriaza
    Options
    This ... this ... this is beautiful. The writer in me is in tears, it's so beautiful.

Unf.
  • helenarriaza
    Options
    I like philosophy as well as reading about psychological deviations.

But *kitten* son, reading you or the "book" idea you have is like you are wanking off to a mirror, just you getting turned on by you.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    TLDR

What is your I.Q.?

I have no idea. People who boast about their I.Q. are losers. ~ Steven Hawking

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/12/magazine/12QUESTIONS.html?_r=0
  • likitisplit
    Options
    As you mature, you will find that these "over-excitabilities" are less of a special gift - everybody gets fired up about something - and more of a challenge experienced by people who are young and not particularly emotionally mature.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    As you mature, you will find that these "over-excitabilities" are less of a special gift - everybody gets fired up about something - and more of a challenge experienced by people who are young and not particularly emotionally mature.
    Sounds like these "over-excitabilities" are bit like premature mental ejaculation then.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    "True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."

Socrates

That is Philosophy 101. Start there.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    You are sooo boring. I knew a guy like you on another message board. If you want satisfaction, sit in a corner and talk to yourself. You'll always like what you hear that way.

I love the above post

soo many piss filled white breads on the internet trying to masquerade as french toast
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You are sooo boring. I knew a guy like you on another message board. If you want satisfaction, sit in a corner and talk to yourself. You'll always like what you hear that way.

I love the above post

soo many piss filled white breads on the internet trying to masquerade as french toast

Wouldn't that make the bread yellow?
  • likitisplit
    Options

I love the above post

Don't eat the yellow bread?
    Wouldn't that make the bread yellow?