Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties - December Challenge!!

Options

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Walking is not considered cross for running? Hmmm I must be reading all the wrong sources :ohwell:

Jury's out on weather you should be cross training using similar muscles as running or different ones, as far as I know. Depends on your intentions, I think. I just found the following at http://www.therunnersguide.com/crosstraining/
    There are a couple of different theories on cross training for runners. One theory is to select an activity which is closely related to running and to use this activity to augment your running program. Another theory is to select activities which are not closely related to running and to use these activities to complement your running program. The use of both types of cross training is considered to be useful; however, it is up to the runner to determine which type works best for him. However, in general runners who are training for a serious event and are very dedicated to performing well in this event are likely to select cross training activities which are very similar to running while runners who run simply for exercise are more likely to opt for cross training activities which are not closely related to running. Additionally, runners who participate in multifaceted events such as triathlons are likely to cross train using unrelated activities in an effort to properly prepare them for the swim and bike legs of the triathlon

I say - do whatever motivates you the most! If you really like the eliptical and get motivated for it 3x per week, then stick with it. It's better than nothing! If you can incorporate other activities instead and still feel motivated, then that's great too. For those of us who don't like or know how to swim/cycle there are always other options! Good luck :happy:
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Thank you for everyone's 2 cents!! :bigsmile: It was much needed!! And Gonk - thank you for the kick in the *kitten*...I think that was needed even more. I didn't get to planning out my meals for the next week because I want to get some grocery shopping in this weekend. But I have been thinking about it non-stop.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    You beat me to it...I was about to go find something to support what I said. My training plans always said that cross-training days were to be anything other than walking.

The whole point of cross-training is to use different muscles to prevent overuse/injury and let the muscles rebuild themselves.

In terms of runners, the elliptical is recommended for those coming off injury to get them back into running. And walking is recommended to put in place of an easy run. Basically runners who have had a hard long run/speed workout and need to take a bit more recovery.

That's what I go off of anyways. But you're right, jury is basically out on the use same/different muscles...though what makes sense to me is to use different muscles so you can rest up/repair your running muscles!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Guam, glad to hear it! I understand part of your situation...living with your mother. It's hard hard hard at times. I sort of have lived with my parents since I quit my job in June 2009. Well I did live with them from June 2009-August 2010 and now I live in one of their houses until I get more situated. I try not to be offensive when they suggest something that absolutely revolts me and have learned that being proactive and suggesting/planning/cooking when they're up at "my" house works wonders. You seriously are doing a kicka$$ job with working, going to school, raising kids and being healthy. So major props to you!

As for lunch, I'm a sandwich kind of girl. It's quick and easy to make the night before and I don't get bored with it. I do multigrain light bread, low sodium turkey (sodium in deli meat is ridiculous!), cheese (switch up the cheese every week or two) and avocado usually. Delicious and nutritious! I also take grape tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, baby carrots and broccoli as snacks for work...sometimes with hummus, sometimes without! Low calories, high fiber and something to occupy my time/mouth!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Sounds about right, jill. I tend to walk on days when I would otherwise run, or when I have run but want to get a but more exercise. Unfortunately I can't get motivated at all for cycling because I find it really hard on my knees, and I haven't been able to get into a pool yet to try swimming (since I was a kid)... Doesn't leave much in terms of cross-training. Circuit training and weights are now my go-tos. Wish my gym had step aerobics because I remember LOVING them when I was younger, but unfortunately I can't find a single class. Oh well!
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Meag's article does have a point and I have heard of people doing that as well. I personally worked well with other training programs where running was only 3-4 days a week and the other days were cross training. I have a friend who was running too much and has an Achilles fracture, and can no longer run after completing two marathons. But again this is different for each person. So go with what your body wants and have fun with it. I personally have knee and back issues so I have to limit my running even when training for a half marathon I only ran 3 days a week. My body responded well to using different muscle groups throughout the week.

Meag- I love that you play devils advocate every now and again and challenge people. This is about learning and seeing what works for everyone.
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Meag- I am very surprised that you have a hard time with cycling, have you been fit by an instructor when doing the spin class? or was it on a regular bike? Proper fit is KEY!! I have had a knee surgery and multiple torn ligaments in my knee and cycling is the best for it, that being said if I am not sitting right on the bike it can really mess up my joints. It takes a little practice but when you know what the fit is for your body you can usually adjust it easily. So many cyclist do it because it is so much easier on your knees then running.
  • spellbinder25
    spellbinder25 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Wow...that was quick!! Thank you so much for all your inputs.

I do get bored with doing the elliptical 5 days a week. But the problem is that I don't like the bike in my gym (it's very uncomfortable) and I had been trying to concentrate on legs & hips since that's where I need to get the fat out of.

I'll look for an indoor pool close-by or choose between yoga, pilates and strength training. Have a yoga and pilates studio close-by which I've been planning to join for a while. I enjoy strength training too so that wouldn't be a problem either. I think I'm obsessing with weight loss and trying to lose more than 1 lb a week even though I know 1lb/week is good enough and probably the best at my weight. Will let you know what I end up with. Thank you all :)
  • spellbinder25
    spellbinder25 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    And what I really meant by running more is for longer duration. I'm not very pleased with my C25K progress and based on your replies I think the reason maybe because I'm using the elliptical everyday. Feel like my body needs me to do something else. I used to do a combination of elliptical, cycling & walking at my previous gym and decided to run one day. I was suprised that I could do 25 min at a stretch. Wish I had kept up at it at that time. Didn't realize I'd actually want to incorportate running into my daily routine :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I say - do whatever motivates you the most! If you really like the eliptical and get motivated for it 3x per week, then stick with it. It's better than nothing! If you can incorporate other activities instead and still feel motivated, then that's great too. For those of us who don't like or know how to swim/cycle there are always other options! Good luck :happy:

I agree with this. I personally use/count walking as my cross training, simply because I do so much of it. It's kind of the work out that's not a workout for me- To and from the boys apt to mine 3 or more times a week (1-2 miles depending on the route we take). I've never been a workout junkie tho- I'm really competative and if I don't see immediate improvements in my performance I get discouraged. For me walking is something I really need because its not something I am always rising to new challenges on or trying to best myself on- it's just something I do, so it lacks the chore like feeling workouts can sometimes get if im "not in the mood". The cycling and swimming are excellent, but its probably more necessary to change things up for your CT when you are really serious and running competatively. At C25K level, I don't think mellow walking is going to run you much injury wise.

Spellbinder -

If you are talking about running further in your C25K- I would recommend running slower. I know it burns less but I have seen sooo many people tap out of C25K because they cant run X minutes in a row. Only to find out they are running at 5 or 6 mph. I started at less than 4mph and now run about 5-5.5 on a reg run. Don’t push your self to “workout” all the time either- sometimes just getting a good walk in, or some heavy cleaning can really make a world of difference- just practical things that fit into your life (and maybe not into your gym) are part of living actively too!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I had been trying to concentrate on legs & hips since that's where I need to get the fat out of.

Also- I don't think you can spot lose fat, you body decides how to distribute it based on how much it has. So just focus on finding a kind of cardio that works well for you no matter what it is.

Guam:

I'm glad I could help you get a bit motivated. I really do think that once you find the way this fits into your life, you will really pick up steam and get that little bit you want gone! It's just a matter of trying different things and figuring out what fits into your life. I know you can do it!

Let us know when you get started (i think you said next week?)- I would love to hear your updates on how its going!

~Gonks
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Quick update...made it to the gym last night which I so needed. I was worried that I was just gonna be ready to hit the pillow as soon as I picked up the kids since I was out the night til about 1:30 or 2 with the boy and then had to be up at 7 to get my day started. But everything just seemed to work out. This morning had my pumpkin oatmeal, had a good lunch, and plan to make the 200 calorie pizzas with the kids tonight. Planning will make things so much easier in my life. And I :heart: planning so much so it makes complete sense. And I need to stick with my plan. My mom can continue to make her dinners but I don't have to eat them. Maybe she will catch on.
  • Rhammond8
    Options
    HELLO ALL!

I'm 22 yrs old and new to MFP, so what better way to get started than to be apart of this KICK *kitten* group where I have to list goals?! Perfect, here we go...

- Work out a minimum of 3X week.
    - Be able to run 3-5 mi like it's nothing.
    - Dont allow myself to fall back once goals are attained --- attain & maintain!!
    - Get back that flat, toned, defined (not ripped) stomach I had in HS.
    - Get into the mindset of loving my curves the way my husband does.

There, goals are public.. now it time go strive for them and get serious!! WOOOO, excited and anxious to see how this all plays out. I've never counted calories before so I'm a little anxious to start seeing what types of results it will give me!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! TOGETHER, WE WILL KICK *kitten*!!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Meag- I am very surprised that you have a hard time with cycling, have you been fit by an instructor when doing the spin class? or was it on a regular bike? Proper fit is KEY!! I have had a knee surgery and multiple torn ligaments in my knee and cycling is the best for it, that being said if I am not sitting right on the bike it can really mess up my joints. It takes a little practice but when you know what the fit is for your body you can usually adjust it easily. So many cyclist do it because it is so much easier on your knees then running.
    Yes... I keep HEARING people say it's supposed to be easier on your joints than running... Just isn't the case for me! May just be a case of not having built up the muscles that are isolated in cycling and help to stabilize my joints, or something. I really have no idea but I find it very uncomfortable, verging on painful. Combined with how much the seat hurts my butt, it's just not something I want to be doing or could ever get motivated for on a regular basis. My boyfriend loves to cycle and so I bought a mountain bike this past Oct to give it another go... I am going to try and pick it up in the spring because he likes doing it, but I am not exactly excited about it :ohwell: We'll see how it goes!

And yes - Some say I'm a bit oppositional :blushing: It's just how I am! haha Take me or leave me! Definitely don't mean to be singling anyone out or offending anyone, so if that's the case - sincerest apologies! As you said this is all about learning what's best for *you* as an individual; constructive criticism and challenging commonly held beliefs is all a part of that, IMO. Feel free to challenge the hell out of me :tongue:

Welcome Rhammond8! Great goals! Are those just for the month of Dec or overall goals? What are your short-term goals for the end of 2010?

Guam - Sounds like you are right back on track and your head is very much in the right place. Great food day already and it's wonderful that you are including the kids in dinner preparation! Extra time to spend with them and a great way to teach them how to eat well and live a healthier life. Definitely building life skills :smile: I love it! Really proud of you for getting in a workout last night too. You are killing it this month already! :drinker:

Meag:heart:
  • CaptainJim157
    Options
    Hey :)
    I went for some walks today and stuff, burned almost 500 cal :)
    I was also under my calorie goal again today ^^
  • bobbi2400
    Options
    HELLO ALL!

I'm 22 yrs old and new to MFP, so what better way to get started than to be apart of this KICK *kitten* group where I have to list goals?! Perfect, here we go...

- Dont allow myself to fall back once goals are attained --- attain & maintain!!

There, goals are public.. now it time go strive for them and get serious!! WOOOO, excited and anxious to see how this all plays out. I've never counted calories before so I'm a little anxious to start seeing what types of results it will give me!

Love ur attitude!!!!! Maybe u could rub off on my gym-hating attitude i have right now lol.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Loved reading all of the running info tonight!

Spellbinder - I'm a new runner so I'm only tell you from my own experience in your same shoes...I was doing elliptical and running too, specifically C25K. The short story is, I got sick of elliptical, I couldn't push myself on the treadmill. And I seriously LOVE the elliptical. But now that I've thrown myself fully into running! Also I know that the C25K is a great program but I really felt held back, maybe it was because of the darn elliptical? Now I've just been following some basic training schedules (Hal Higdon) and basically just shooting for one mile, then two miles...and so on. I'm going to start officially training when I hit three miles for a half marathon. :o)

We've got SIX inches of snow here folks! Come shovel me out!!! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: Ran/jogged two miles tonight but really felt off my game from all of the mall walking I did earlier today. We also decorated our tree tonight...so much fun! Tomorrow I'm supposed to do some clients hair and I'm excited about it, but only if I can get myself unburied from the house!

QOTD: What do you do for a living or what are you aiming to do?
    I am a cosmetologist! I went to beauty school 7, going on 8 years ago and I love doing hair! I'm not a girly girl and I love the "chemical" aspect of it. This + this ='s this. I have extra licensing in color correction so that I can fix just about anything! :o)
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!!

Finally got a chance to read through the past few pages lol. I'm loving the running info coming along from all you pros! Tom I'm planning to get some winter layers so I can actually get out there and get back to it myself, since i haven't gone in about 2 weeks.. No snow for us yet thank goodness!

I've been spending the past few days feeling frustrated since the scale hasn't been moving. I thought part of it might be that I'd end up burning between 400-500+ calories with my turbofire workouts, that at the end of the day i'd only have a net calorie intake of 900 or so. I've been trying to really eat more and get to that 1200 mark every day. I also know I need to get more fruits and veggies into the day so some grocery shopping will also be on the list for this weekend.

Everyone has some great goals set for the month.. Can't wait for the month to really get going and see all the progress!
    Has anyone tried either of the Just Dance games for Wii? I asked for the second one for xmas from my sis, and I know they have a "just sweat" mode so I'm planning to work that into my routine. I love dancing so it should be a good time!

QOTD: I'm a Medical Lab Scientist... and in regular terms that basically means that I work in a hospital lab and blood bank. When you get bloodwork done at the doc, or you hear things on the hospital shows like CBC's and such, I'm the person that processes those tests. In the blood bank I type patients' blood and see if they have antibodies. It's interesting but can get rather complicated sometimes. Next year I'm applying to grad school for a Master's in Biotechnology, so I can make my way into the pharmaceutical industry, and finally get a normal monday-friday, day shift job, unlike my 11pm-7am, every other weekend, and some holidays position i have now...
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I've been spending the past few days feeling frustrated since the scale hasn't been moving. I thought part of it might be that I'd end up burning between 400-500+ calories with my turbofire workouts, that at the end of the day i'd only have a net calorie intake of 900 or so. I've been trying to really eat more and get to that 1200 mark every day. I also know I need to get more fruits and veggies into the day so some grocery shopping will also be on the list for this weekend.

Hey hunny!
    I've had this same problem in the past. First because of getting into the habit of eating that way and then at the end of the summer I got really sick and couldn't eat more then 600/700 calories a day. When I was habitually eating less then 1000 calories each day, it was BEYOND irritating that I didn't loose any weight. I was working out, eating healthy and not loosing. My husband constantly told me my body was in starvation mode but I didn't believe him. I still don't know how much I believe him! Ha ha! I guess my brain will never fully get the concept. In the past couple of weeks I was kind of slipping in not eating my calories again (was in the hospital, sick again.) Started eating right, working out. In the past few days I've lost .3 pounds. I know its not much but I only have 5 pounds to loose. So I was excited. I guess I really do need to fuel my body. I'm just not hungry and hard to put food in it when its not asking! :o) The grocery store is in my future too and I'm planning on starting to eat like a "King" for breakfast for the month of December: New goal. Ha ha! That way I can get my calories in! Feel free to join me! :o)
  • wardiemelissa
    wardiemelissa Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    HELLO ALL!

Welcom Rachel!!! There are LOTS of runners on this thread to help keep you motivated and for you to motivate with your successes as well!