Senior Golden Sneakers - December 2010

Options

Replies

• tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Thought I would check in. Thanks for all the good wishes. My hubby was moved OUT of intensive care today, one day ahead of schedule. He is now on a surgical recovery floor. If things continue to improve so rapidly, he could come home tomorrow, but will surely come home on Sunday.

If you could hear him grumble you would know he's feeling better. Complain, complain, complain. He hates the food, the bed, the chairs, and being pricked and poked all the time. When I went this morning I said, "If you can't say one positive thing I'm leaving." He said he walked without assistance completely around the ICU nurses station. Don't understand why this man can't get it through his head that he was flat-lined - dead - just a few days ago. He should be grateful for every crumb of life that comes his way.

Anyhow - that's where things stand as of the moment. My weight loss has been flat this week. I don't get it - it should have dropped a couple of pounds based on what I've been eating (or not eating). I'll have to refocus and maybe I can will it away.

The snow in England sure looks pretty but I'm glad it's on fence posts there and not here. They had a first snow back at our old home (Wisconsin) yesterday. It's 50 degrees here and should be in the high 50s by this afternoon.
  • jeffrey71
    Options
    Good Afternoon!

Sandy Winter is here too! Snow and cold! What am I still doing here? I have a surgery date for December 27th. I will have another visit with the surgeon before then due to the problems that he will have with this one. I did get some training in last night. 40 minutes total with good results on the knee. The kids and Day are all fine and the cats are fatter! LOL

Pam sorry about your fall. I read and listen to the BBC daily. It seems you have had quite a mess with the weather. I hope it gets better for you! As you do not wish to look at the skinny things in lycra, call me! I don't mind a bit! Glad to help with that issue! LOL

Not too much else to tell here in Indiana for now. Winter has set in, yuck!

Take care one and all!

Jeffrey
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello "To all the Pretty Ladies" and Gents,

Just checking in. Everything is going better...although I just can't get rid of this coughing...

I have had my grandbaby girl today. She is napping now.

DH has been on a "roll." He is doing all the wrapping..I told my sister not to be surprised what her package is wrapped in or the amount of tape:laugh: :laugh: I chuckle everytime I see a package. It's taped all around the seams.:happy: :laugh: :laugh:
    It's going to take a while for anyone to open a gift...it's really sweet of him though.:love:

Jefferey, I saw where you have run all those races...wow!! that is an accomplishment.

Pam: I hope you feel better from your fall.

Connie...sometimes stress can slow your system down and make you sluggish...this I really know about.
    I hope you feel better.
    Sandy hope you are better too.

I have to go I hear my grandbaby stirring...
    To all the rest....Have a happy evening.

Happy Hannukkah to All our Jewish friends. (I hope I spelled it correctly:blushing: ) I don't have time to edit.

May your thoughts be peaceful today....:flowerforyou:
  • Oldbat61
    Oldbat61 Posts: 141
    Options
    Connie - it's so good to hear that your husband has made such good progress that he is able to find fault with everything!!!! I know from personal experience how frustrating this is but just be glad that he is alive to grumble - thinbk what the alternative could be. Try to keep smiling and get plenty of rest. You need to take care of you otherwise you will be in no fit state to take care of him.:heart::heart: :heart:

Jeffrey - if I spot any slim young things in lycra I shall be sure to let you know! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Love and prayers to you all; keep warm, safe and well. :smile: :smile: :smile:

Pam
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    hanukkah-2.jpg
    Have a happy holiday Barbbie and Jake
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,957 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Last year we didn't make latkes because we were being extra careful about what we ate. This year we're close enough to the weight we want to be so we decided to splurge on latkes (potato pancakes).

We made a meal of latkes with homemade applesauce and fat free sour cream. I cooked them on a griddle with very little oil so the calorie damage wasn't bad at all. I’ll do it again on Monday.

Gigi, how fabulous that you can take your whole family on a cruise together---not many families are able to do that

Barb, your puzzle idea sounds great except that while we are doing anything on the table the cats come and lie down on it…..Haifa especially likes the keyboard on the laptop computer and my knitting, but if there were a puzzle, he’d like that, too.

Marie, if you can stick to portion control (only one muffin) then you are a better woman than I am…..i don’t have muffins or bread of any sort in the house……we keep Orowheat sandwich thins in the freezer and take out one at a time and defrost them in the microwave but I don’t think I could stop at one cranberry corn muffin…they just sound too good.

Pam, I’m sorry to hear about your fall and glad to hear that you didn't suffer any serious effects…you are such a good neighbor…you’re right about balance being important…..I think my line dance classes help me with balance----the view from your front door is beautiful

Sandy, how wonderful that you are going to your granddaughter’s class to read…..when I was teaching there weren’t many parents who were courageous enough to do that

Thank you to everyone for the warm and colorful Hanukkah greetings…..you are all so kind and clever :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Buzz, we don’t eat the chocolate coins any more……Jake used to buy them for the grandkids and then we’d end up eating a bunch of them ourselves:laugh: :laugh:

Connie, I’m glad to hear about your husband’s good progress and his continued recovery….I agree that he should be grateful for every breath he takes, but some people just don’t do gratitude too well……your lack of weight loss could be because of stress…I’ve read about that.

Jeffrey, I guess it’s a good thing that you have a surgery date set so you can get that next problem taken care of soon and then be back on your fleet feet running through the snow

Jake sends greetings from the exercise bike…..we are taking turns on the bike to make up for the high calorie and yummy latke meal today.
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Winter is here in Central Illinois, the snow fall so far is 4 inches and counting, we suppose to get more by tomorrow morning.:grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

Happy Hannakah to Barbie & Jake and all our other Jewish friends.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Sandy - papers are all set to go for your adoption, we love to have you.:heart::heart::heart:

Pam - so sorry to hear about your fall, so glad you're ok - you're so special helping so many people.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: you also got lot of snow like us. Welcome Winter!!

Connie - don't worried about the pounds, sometime when you're not active even so you're not eating much, the body responds by slowing down in everyway:noway: :noway: :noway:

Marie - Great picture so big. love it:smooched: :smooched: :smooched:

Barbie - we are not going on a Cruise, we're going to Cancun at a Resort, we can't wait,:smooched: :smooched: :smooched:

Keep warm everyone and have fun.

Gigi
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,957 Member
    Options

Barbie - we are not going on a Cruise, we're going to Cancun at a Resort, we can't wait,:smooched: :smooched: :smooched:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I guess I was reading too fast :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

we are blessed with mild weather (33 F overnight and up to 45 during the day) so the drive I have to make into Tacoma early tomorrow morning shouldn't be a problem......it's a committee meeting so Jake is staying home with the dogs.....I'm going out to eat with the committee after the meeting (it's our last meeting) and Jake is going to eat out with a friend while I'm gone.

gotta get to bed early :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  • Jake45
    Jake45 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Thank you for all the Hanukkah greetings and the great pictures. :bigsmile:
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi to all from chilly Saskatchewan! I am late (of course) but Happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate. I can understand your concern, Barbie, about the Latkes’ getting out of hand – mmmm! So good. All those rich desserts would surely be a downfall for me. What is the significance of chocolate coins?
    Dave went out for lunch today with his friends (guys he taught with) so I stayed home and worked on my puzzle. It is nearly done and just in time! However, it kept me off the computer so I am late to say hello. Neil (for you who are new, Neil is my son) is going shopping for Christmas with people from the Group Home so he likely won’t be home until Sunday. I do have to run into the city to pick up a Roast of Beef (Dave’s favorite) so I will pick him up then if he wants.
    I had my physical yesterday and it went fine. The worst part is always the weighing. He was pleased that I had lost 13 pounds since my last time on the scale there. Sadly, between then and now I had lost a little more than that and gained a few pounds. Of course, I didn’t share that with him!!

Marie – Thank you so much for the cards, we both really appreciate your thoughtfulness. You touched my heart.:heart: Like Barbie, I would have a very hard time with the muffins. The cranberry corn muffins intrigue me. Are they like corn bread (which I love and shouldn’t go there at all!)? It sounds like you really have your diet plan under control. Way to go! Hi to Alice!

Connie – The grumpy phase is likely frustration. Grateful will come later. Are you sleeping well? Sometimes that will play tricks with your weight as well. Don’t worry about it for now. In a few days you will be back to your routine and the weight will fall away.

Sandy – Sorry that the darn back is still giving you grief. I hope it lets up soon. It is so much fun to read to children. I am sure it brightened your day. I hope we get our tree up while the kids are here Sunday (the kids are all over 30 but still my kids). We don’t do too much else inside as we lost most of our stuff when we had the flood and just haven’t replaced it. Luckily our tree decorations were up high and in Rubbermaid buckets.

Gigi – Wow! Your Cancun trip sounds amazing!! You will have a wonderful time. Last year for my retirement we took the family on a Cruise and it was a wonderful time.

Birdie – Nice to have you pop in. I understand not having the time for a long post.

Pam – Ouch!! I hope you aren’t too stiff and sore. You are a wonderful person to look after your neighbours.

Buzz – You did great with your long post!! I decided to use Word today in an attempt not to leave anyone out. I know that if I do, I will be forgiven but I try not to. I am going to make an attempt to work on balance as I do have a bit of a problem there. It isn’t new, just always been a bit off balance!! Haha I have had too many falls, mostly on ice but perhaps I could make that better.

Barb – always nice to have you pop in!

Jeffrey – Don’t you go falling on the ice!! Like you, I got a lovely Christmas present but mine comes before Christmas. On the 23rd I will be having a Colonoscopy (to much info., sorry). This is not my first rodeo so I know what to look forward to. Ugh!

Lynn – How nice to have help with wrapping. I hope to get some gifts next week and then I can put my husband to work. He isn’t the greatest wrapper but they all look nice under the tree anyway. Now that the family are all adults I use a lot of bags and don’t tell anyone but I use them over and over and over. Looking out for the environment. ;o)

Irene – I hope you are well and enjoying the season.

I hope I didn’t miss anyone. Take care and keep smiling. Gayla:heart:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    :heart: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Gayla what a nice and wonderful Post. The corn muffin I made are not the healthiest but if I keep them under control I should be oK. I just used a jiffy cornbread mix and prepared as directed just added 1/2 c of fresh chopped cranberries. I just made the recipes up But turned out fantastic I spray a muffin pan with Pam baked and let it rest in muffin pan for about 10 minuets ater done baking. and the were so pretty Goes wonderful with my soup. Jerry don't eat them so I keep them in the fridge and warm them . it up in my oven toaster.Easy and my treat for the day. I am ansious to see how Alice will like them. I may make some for our Christmas dinner Bake them at home and thow them in Kathy oven to warm up Most all of my family are cornbread eaters except Jerry. I will also make a big blackberry cobbler and chcolate cake. Kathy is making the dressin, turkey and ham Not sure what Alice is bringing. Jim makes a real good mac and cheese. I know we will have way too much food. As everybody does. But we all take Plates of food home with us.:heart::heart:

:sad: I did make me a wholewheat banana bread yesterday, now that made be a problem for me I planned on having a slice for breakfast I will freeze the rest for future Breakfast:sad: :sad: CONTROL CONTROL MARIE

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Pam I am surpose to be the Queen of falling.I am just now recoverying from a fall about 3 weeks ago. Right now I just have my usally ache and pains.:bigsmile:
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: : Connie, Hope everything is still going great. He is one lucky man. And hope you have a very nice Christmas in the Ozarks Its a beatiful part of the country We will be going to my daughter Kathy for Christmas She lives out in the country They raised longhorn cattle, Austrian puppys. Geese She has 2 squirrles that the mother abandon .

G
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    A quickie before running out to find some "decent" Florida Navel oranges! This is supposed to be the season for them, but supermarket oranges this year seem to have last year's dried out tough freezer burned crop. What a disappointment. So we will hunt for an increasingly hard-to-find farm stand and hope for the best! Development seems to be pushing out much of our supposedly protected Agricultural Lands! When we moved here 17 years ago, our street was a dirt road with farm trucks everywhere. Now it has turned into gorgeous gated communities, and our lovely rural road is a 5 lane street with beautiful palms, bouganvilla, and other flowered shrubs in the center lane. I actually preferred "the way it was"! :ohwell: :cry: :brokenheart:

Thank you everyone for the holiday well wishes. Marie, loved that Chanukah Doggie you entered! How do you do that? By the way, there are at least 2 ways to spell the holiday, and I'm not certain of the "Hannukah" spelling, so I stick with the old one I learned as a kid. Remember, that was BEFORE the creation of Israel, and the advent of Hebrew as a spoken language! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As far as the coins, these are gold-foil wrapped pieces of chocolate in the shape of coins that were given to young family members as a gift and reward at Chanukah's first night celebration. Fortunately for me, the chocolate was milk chocolate, so it does not tempt me, as I am a dark (almost bitter) chocoholic! I don't know the significance of the coins, though, except that was the usual gift. The holiday seems to have evolved into a commercial gift-giving one, and since there are 8 days involved, I'm glad my family is grown! :laugh:

My scale was kind this morning, but I'll wait till it shows up several days in a row. No exercise today, as I'm feeling a hip twinge that says "watch it". I feel lucky , so far, since joining MFP and meeting you all, and I don't want to push my physical luck too far! Balance, balance, balance! And don't overdo!!!
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Hubby is coming home today. Why am I not excited. I'm not a nurse and not the "nurse" type. I get frustrated with people who are helpless. Where am I going to find the patience to deal with this? One foot in front of the other, I guess.
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Dear Wisconsin cheesehead (CONNIE), you will be surprised how you will find the patience you need to cope! You sound like such a resourceful person, and this, too, shall come! :flowerforyou: !!! And NO GUILT; after all, we are what we are, and arrived at this stage of life by adapting to so many situations we thought we never could learn to adapt to!
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :wink: :love: :flowerforyou: :laugh: :bigsmile: :blushing: :flowerforyou: :tongue: :smooched: :flowerforyou:

I thought this would never come, but I promised Marie, and I kept after the restaurant (busy place) and here it is: NOT dietetic fare, but this IS the holiday season! I did not gain an ounce the next day, either :laugh:

Here is the recipe for the

Cream of Mushroom Soup:

> 1 lb White Mushrooms
    > 1 lb ****ake Mushrooms
    > 1 lb Crimini Mushrooms
    > 1 Large Yellow Onion
    > 3/4 stick yellow butter
    > 4 cups chicken stock
    > 2-3 cups heavy cream
    > -cornstarch-to thicken
    > -kosher salt & ground pepper (to taste)
    > 1 small bunch fresh chopped parsley
    >
    > In food processor pulse mushrooms and onion till fairly fine but not pureed.
    > Saute with the butter in a soup pot over medium heat for 10 minutes stirring every so often.
    > Add the chicken stock and simmer with a light boil for 1/2 hour.
    > Add heavy cream- bring to boil -thicken slightly with cornstarch.
    > Remove from heat and season to taste with salt & pepper.
    > When you serve the soup, add the chopped parsley at the LAST minute.
    >
    > Reminder-Portions are a guess. The cream gives it a nice sweetness. Don't substitue half & half or milk because it will just not taste the same. The more you add the sweeter the soup.
    >
    > It's a very basic recipe. We make all of our cream soups the same way-- Potato & Leek, Cream of Broccoli, and cream of Vegetable Soup.
    >
    DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT CALORIES! JUST ENJOY IT!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks buzz for the recipe. It sounds heavenly. Don't know if I can find all those mushrooms or not. My local stores Walmart usally just carry the white one and the brown ones all that heavy cream sounds so sinfully But I will save the recipes on my recipes and maybe I will make it one day. Today I made black eyes pea soup with pkg of stir fry veggies add a bunch of seasons and jalapennas lots of bell peppers,onions and celery It was good with my cranberry muffin. My tummy is well satisfy
    I found that doggie on photobucker under Chanukah Holiday
    The whole wheat banana bread turn out real good. Its already in the freezer to keep my naughty hands out of it.

I am woking on a presious Menory embrodiery make a quilt top now. That is to keep my naughty hands busy.
    Thanks again.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou

preciousmomentswedding.jpg
  • Oldbat61
    Oldbat61 Posts: 141
    Options
    Hi everyone. What wonderful posts from you all. Today was our communal Christmas lunch and we had a fabulous time.

The food was wonderful and I chose a fillet of Sea Bass which was beautifully cooked and accompanied by some wonderful vegetables. For desert I had a pear poached in red wine with a lemon panacotta. Delicious and not too many calories. All washed down with some lovely red wine. After lunch we were entertained by some musicians - three ladies who harmonised beautifully and two gentlemen who both sang and played guitars. Most people went back to their units soon after 5.00. About 8 of us remained and we had a cup of tea (very English!!) before doing the rest of the tidying up (the caterers had done the bulk of it) and then we put some more CDs on with lovely Christmas music and sat around with some more wine and chatted. I got home just about an hour ago feeling very happy and relaxed. :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Oh, how I wish I was going to Cancun - I have very happy memories of visits there when we were doing our cruises.

Connie - you will be amazed at where the strength comes from; remember, this too shall pass. You are in my prayers.

Love to all you wonderful Sneakers; by the way, although I am certainly quite stiff today there are no other ill effects from the fall yesterday. Bye for now

Pam :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • marlouise
    Options
    Hello everyone, been away for a bit, sorry. Hope all is well and well are all. I have been trying to cut down my work load but by some magic it increased. so I have been tired out by all the time switching shifts I've been doing. Not good on the diet or sleep patterns either. I've had to say good bye to Weight watchers, I just have no time to keep it going, the money in my line of work is not good or guarrenteed either to make ends meet. So my fingers are still crossed the third job I applied for will come through and I can say goodbye to the lower paying job. Sure will miss the friends there, but I will be able to visit too.

Hope to check in again soon, time for a hot soup, my hands are shaking I'm so cold.

Marilyn
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Options
    Hello everyone!

So good to be home and be able to work on things that give you pleasure, love the weekend so I can clean and get thingsdone before going back to work on monday.:love::love: :love:

We got more snow this morning, so I decorated for the Holidays, replaced the front pots that had mums with pines branches from our back yard, we have beautiful Blue Spruce Pines and they needed a little triming so I did and used them to decorate my pots and made Bows (Red) for the pots and the mail box, everythings looks so good, them I came inside I only decorated one Christmas Tree because you all know:happy: :happy: :happy: we're are going to Cancun, The Xmas tree is in the foyer so get to see it all the time, our front door is glass so everyone can enjoy, my neighbors love it.:love::love: :love: .

Connie - so glad your husband is home and things area going well, I know you will be a great nurse.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Pat - your party sounds so fantastic and a great group of people:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Gayla - Did you finished the puzzle? Hope everything went well for Neil and he got done all the shopping for the Holidays:love:

Must get back to cleaning, have a good evening everyone.

Gigi
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I got my groceries for dinner tomorrow, a lovely Prime Rib (the pressure is on to make it as perfect as it deserves to be ). We will have with the beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, brussel sprouts, caeser salad and of course, birthday cake for dessert. I think I will make a cocoa and cream cake. I know it is not the best choice for dieters but it is what it is!!
    Neil caught me on my phone while we were still grocery shopping so we picked him up today. He wanted to go to watch some hockey and visit some friends. He is now home and resting in my chair before dinner.

Sandy – Thank you for the card for Neil. He really enjoyed it and gave me a big hug and kiss which is always nice. I hope your back/leg hurt less today.

Marie – Keep talking to yourself girl, you will do it! I will be making some cornbread for Gregg’s birthday (next weekend) and I am wondering how unhappy he would be if I threw some cranberries in it. It sounds like such a good match. He is the cornbread lover here. Hard to believe my first-born will be 35 in just a very few days!

Buzz – I was eating a wonderful Christmas orange as I read your post. I have had a hard time getting good oranges this fall but really enjoyed this one! I remember when we were kids one of the best things in our Christmas stocking was the orange right in the toe. Thanks for sharing the recipe! I have tucked it away and will make it one day. It sounds wonderful.

Connie – I am a nurse but I completely understand your reticence about your husband coming home before he is really well. It is scary. You will find the patience and when you don’t you may have to just bite your tongue for a wee bit! One day at a time, one moment at a time. Before you know it he will be healthy!

Pam – Glad you aren’t suffering too much after your fall. The dinner sounds amazing! Yum!!

Marilyn – Wonderful to hear from you again. So sorry that you have to work so hard. I hope you get the other job!

Take care everyone and keep smiling. Gayla :heart: :flowerforyou: