Discouraged in the Lulu store...

Options

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I agree too but I fear their corporate office won't care because you are "not their kind of people", by which I mean, not someone with a thigh-gap.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    I found my Lululemon in Winnipeg was very friendly when I was a size 14, so I didn't have the same experience. That was before the decline in quality though.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    WTF? When did a size 8 become a larger size??

since forever- go to Express, NY and Company- ALL of their pants are smallest on top- so 0's down to 10's- they don't carry anything over an 8/10 out on the racks- and then 12's are in the back or in the drawers- larger sizes must be ordered on line.
    makes me bat *kitten* crazy.

See I've not had a problem with NY&C. I don't shop their often, but I snagged a ridiculously cute skirt in a 14 from the one at our mall. I've never shopped for pants there though.
  • Allisonfitness99
    Allisonfitness99 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I found my Lululemon in Winnipeg was very friendly when I was a size 14, so I didn't have the same experience. That was before the decline in quality though.
    I live in mcmurray and it was the first time I was ever in a lulu store. Definitely not the best experience for me.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    This is why I shop online...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

since forever- go to Express, NY and Company- ALL of their pants are smallest on top- so 0's down to 10's- they don't carry anything over an 8/10 out on the racks- and then 12's are in the back or in the drawers- larger sizes must be ordered on line.

See I've not had a problem with NY&C. I don't shop their often, but I snagged a ridiculously cute skirt in a 14 from the one at our mall. I've never shopped for pants there though.

they definitely HAVE bigger sizes- but you have to hunt/dig for them. On their regular sections- or the new displays- they ALWAYS put the tiny numbers on top- and you have to hunt through the drawers or under the piles for "normal" sizes.
    I like their stuff- I have several things from them- new pants- new jacket- good dresses- but it annoys me that it's ALWAYS 00 or 0 on top.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

I <3 NY&C pants because they're the only ones who seem to sell 0-4 in TALL in stores whereas other brands start at a 6 or 8.
    I agree too but I fear their corporate office won't care because you are "not their kind of people", by which I mean, not someone with a thigh-gap.

EXCUSE YOU?!
    Are you freaking kidding me?!
    Body shame much.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a thigh gap. Lots of women naturally have them - whether they fit into Lulu's clothes or not.
    At a size 2 and NO thigh gap, I can also fit into Lulu clothes (but I haven't tried because I'm cheap and I like my Old Navy gear).
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    This is why I shop online...

For serious. I would never pay $80 for a pair of yoga pants. My intent is to sweat, a lot, and destroy these things with constant exercising...I go to Ross, Burlington, TJ Maxx, Marshals.....etc.
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Try Zella - the brand poached one of Lululemon's top designers and it's available at Nordstrom. Slightly cheaper than Lulu and caters to a broader market.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

they definitely HAVE bigger sizes- but you have to hunt/dig for them. On their regular sections- or the new displays- they ALWAYS put the tiny numbers on top- and you have to hunt through the drawers or under the piles for "normal" sizes.
    I like their stuff- I have several things from them- new pants- new jacket- good dresses- but it annoys me that it's ALWAYS 00 or 0 on top.

That's actually how most stores organize their clothing.
    The smallest size they have of the item on top and the further down you go, the larger the size will be.
    I've seen it at a lot of stores. And I've seen it when the 00 is out the smallest they have is a L so then it's an XL and XXL under.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

The smallest size they have of the item on top and the further down you go, the larger the size will be.
    I've seen it at a lot of stores. And I've seen it when the 00 is out the smallest they have is a L so then it's an XL and XXL under.

^^That's been my experience as well. It was easier when I was fatter...I'd just automatically go to the bottom of the pile LOL. Now that I'm in between, I have to really dig through stuff to find my size. Granted, I did totally luck out on the skirt. It was on the clearance rack, I said OH PINK!, pulled it out and it just happened to be a 14.
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    This company has a history of being extraordinarily size-ist and generally crappy to women over a certain size.

About a year and a half ago, I went to my first Lulu store, all kinds of excited because I saw so many women at yoga/my gym/in my running group wearing the cute clothes with the cool logo. They weren't rude at the store, but they definitely didn't encourage me to try anything on (their large is a 10/12, and that's all the bigger they go). Then with all the negative press, I decided I wasn't going to "aspire" to wearing their clothes anyway. I have found some really cute workout wear (in lots of sizes) from CAbi (cabionline.com) and Calvin Klein.

Not surprised you had this experience - it's not you.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

LOL didn't mean to derail the tread.

I guess I know that everyone organizes by size- but most places things are on racks- so while it's in order- I don't feel like its' SMALLEST FIRST- if I stand facing a rack- small stuff is on the left and it goes up in size as you move right.
    Or they are laid out on a wall or shelving unit.

not sure why THAT story is so noticeable to me- but it is.

shrug- I realize it's marketing and the basic need for things to be organized- but for some reason at THAT store -the way they lay it out- it irks me.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I find that Adidas makes the BEST workout clothes. Costs less and goes to size whatever! I've never had issues in store with Lulu. I have several items from them and they are cute, but not at all better than any other brand. I find their tops are slightly short...maybe it's just me.

The best is that you can get Adidas clothes at ALL sports shops.

Sorry you had that experience, don't let it discourage you, sweetie!!!
  • Allisonfitness99
    Options
    Try Zella - the brand poached one of Lululemon's top designers and it's available at Nordstrom. Slightly cheaper than Lulu and caters to a broader market.
    We don't have Nordstrom in Canada lol
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Go to Under Armor. Much better quality workout clothes and cute colors!! The outlets always have stuff on sale :)
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    That's sort of their thing.

That being said, the woman really shouldn't have said anything. I mean, I walked into their store before at a size 16/18 and never received that kind of treatment.
  • Allisonfitness99
    Options

For serious. I would never pay $80 for a pair of yoga pants. My intent is to sweat, a lot, and destroy these things with constant exercising...I go to Ross, Burlington, TJ Maxx, Marshals.....etc.

We don't have any of thoes stores lol and I'm not a huge fan of shopping online.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Go to Under Armor. Much better quality workout clothes and cute colors!! The outlets always have stuff on sale :)

You took the words right out of my mouth. UA is designed so much better for any workout (other than yoga). I went to lulu and picked up a pair of compression shorts for my marathon training - hate them, I will only use them now on cross training days. The seams cause chafing, there is no moisture wicking (and these were sold to me as "running shorts"). Now, I stick with what I consider the best - Underarmer :)
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

We don't have any of thoes stores lol and I'm not a huge fan of shopping online.

Actually you do. TJX Holdings is the parent company of TJMaxx, Homegoods, Marshalls, Winners, and the Canadian version of Homegoods.

Winners is just like TJMaxx and Marshalls.