Food(s) that you stopped consuming without realizing it?

Options
This kind of goes along with the thread about giving up certain foods that you never thought you'd live without, but I thought I would change it up a bit. For me, it is milk. Not Almondmilk since I do consume that, but regular milk. I used to drink milk like I do water, I would have at least three glasses with every meal and then I would also just dink a few glasses at random times of the day. Milk was my addiction, I really don't know why but I went through that stuff like crazy. But then in January of 2013 I started eating healthy and exercising, and at that time I was buying into all the "bro" science and all that stuff. I drank more water, used water for my protein shakes before discovring Almondmilk. But then just a month ago in July 2014 I had a glass of regular milk with dinner. As I was drinking it, I realized that it was the first time that I actually consumed regular milk since January of 2013! It was surprising because I didn't intentionally avoid milk, it's not like I thought it would make me fat even on a caloric deficit. I just never got around to drinking milk during that period because I was so focused on getting enough water each day. And now I don't crave milk, it's just not that appealing to me anymore...needless to say I did lose 80 pounds in that time period :bigsmile:

So are there any of you who unintenionally cut out a food that you never thought you'd live without and not realize it? I'm excited to see if there are others like me and what their fave food was before it got cut. :drinker:

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Soda and french fries.

Not to say I don't have a splash of soda occasionally in a drink, or steal a couple of my wife's fries, but I drink a lot more water instead of soda and tend to order sides other than fries if given the choice.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Same here... replaced soda with water.
  • Listeninguponyou
    Listeninguponyou Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I haven't been here very long, but I have dropped flavored water (shocked me) and fruit juice. All I drink is water and sometimes soda.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Now that I think about it, I can't really think of anything I stopped consuming, I just consume them in much smaller quantities. I have cut back on my french fry intake though, personally because I don't really like them that much and now that I am aware of their nutrition in comparison with other side items I like more, I choose something else.
    If anything, I have started consuming a bunch of new things without realizing it.
    Turns out I LOVE plums, almond/cashew butter, almond milk, and so much more!
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    For me it's crisps, or chips depending on where you're from. I ate loads before but now i never eat them. I don't miss them either.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Ice cream. I used to have a bowl every single night.
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Sadly, wine.

My husband makes wine so we always have some around the house. During the school year we'd go through a bottle a month, but in the summer... a bottle a week easy.

Now. I just don't want to drink my calories. I used to drink a glass while making supper 3-4 nights a week. Now.... I had to force myself to drink the last 3 ounces of the rhubarb wine from 6 weeks ago. And I dumped 1/2 of it out b/c after being in the fridge that long, it wasn't worth the calories!
  • Marggiee
    Marggiee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Pies and Sausage Rolls, also chips/crisps
  • aliackerman
    aliackerman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Cheeeeeeese. I used to grab a stick of cheese as a snack at least once a day and would add cheese to everything - roast veggies with parmesan, shredded cheese on my eggs in the morning and salad in the evening. Now I can't tell you the last time I had cheese. Weird. I didn't even notice that I wasn't eating it anymore until you asked and I thought about it. It's just not worth the calories for me.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Butter. I stopped adding it to things and then all of the sudden it's been forever since I've used butter of my own free will. My boyfriend's mom cooked the other day and she uses SO MUCH BUTTER that I was actually ill after.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Rice
    French fries
    I eat pasta maybe once a month.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    (Ate all these foods when I was skinny; stopped eating them when I got fat)
    Soda
    Ice cream
    Cheetos
    Pasta
    Cheesecake
    Yogurt
    Starbucks
    Mary Lou's
    Fast food
  • Trollprinzessin
    Trollprinzessin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Milk, fries, crisps / chips, sweets and cheese. Cut down all the crap to a minimum, drinking milk few times a week if at that. I still miss milk and especially cheese but I found some okay low-fat cheese which doesn't have as much calories.
  • purplenurse711
    purplenurse711 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    White rice
    Soda
    White Bread
  • dogluvr_2014
    dogluvr_2014 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Sweets. I know I can have them but I don't really want them and that is a miracle for me. I've also stopped drinking diet pepsi. Not intentionally, I just don't seem to want it anymore. Miracles never cease to happen. :smile:
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Bread...
    I don't really crave it, but I use to eat a lot of sandwiches, toast, etc. I focus on protein first and bread usually doesn't make it when I'm prepping my own meals.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Take out, milk, cheese, sweets, potato chips, bread, carbs in general ,, I've also stopped drinking a bottle of wine a night - now it's just a couple glasses on the weekend. (Drank and ate to compensate for a horrible relationship)

I still eat these things on occasion, but just realized I NEVER purchase them and rarely eat them if at all. I actually have to think about when the last time was I had a lot of these things.
  • Joanne_happygramma
    Joanne_happygramma Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all of the above but I did realize it, so does that count.
    To be fair to the theme of this post I guess my consumption of red meat
    has all but disappeared. Would rather get my protein calories from chicken
    or turkey.

And who said Cheese...............mmmmmm cheeeese.
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I used to eat tons of pasta every night with loads of cheddar cheese xD now I barely ever eat either of those two things
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Butter!

I realized I very rarely use it any more.

Potato chips. I just don't buy them because I seem to have no willpower if they are in my house.

Packaged cookies.

Prepared box food- like Rice a Roni, or instant mashed potatoes.

Cheddar cheese. I've been using feta cheese crumbles in salads, eggs, etc.