Weight lifting without a spotter?

Options
Hi!

I would love to get some insight into the little problem that I am facing.

I have been working out for a little over a year, 3-4 times a week. What I mostly do is cardio, and a little bit of weight lifting here and there. The weight lifting is done with pneumatic exercise equipment. However, after reading about all the benefits of weight lifting, I would like to start lifting weights more seriously.

I have read a fair amount of information on weight lifting. I also bought the News Rules of Lifting for Women, and I would like to get started on that. In that workout plan, we have a lot of exercises done with the goold old barbell, such as deadlifts, barbell squats and barbell lunges. Things that a spotter is very recommended for. In fact, I have read in several places that it really really isn't recommended to lift without a spotter.

The thing is, at the time I go to the gym, the floor of the weights room is filled with meatheads. I might be a little too judgmental, but all I see everywhere is dudebros kissing their biceps, grunting and talking about the chicks they plan to bang. If I was in a friendlier place, I certainly wouldn't mind asking for someone to spot me, but I find that this is not an option in my current situation.

What would you do in my situation? Stick to a workout in which a spotter isn't really required (with pneumatic exercise equipment), or risk lifting weights without a spotter? Suck it up and ask for a spotter anyway? Ugh.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    1. Next time don't bury the question in so many unneeded words.
    2. Most exercises don't benefit from having a spotter. The three you listed, lunges, squats, and deadlifts particularly don't need a spotter. They have a squat rack or power rack that's 100000x better than the best spotter could ever be.
    3. Why is being a bicep kissing dudebro something that prevents someone from being friendly and helpful? I'm a bicep kissing dudebro and I've never declined to help someone that asked. Your judgeyness is only slowing your own roll. Just because someone looks like you doesn't automatically make them friendlier than people that are different. Get out of your bubble
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot of time on the weight room floor talking about the chicks I plan to bang. Better not ask me for help.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    2. Most exercises don't benefit from having a spotter. The three you listed, lunges, squats, and deadlifts particularly don't need a spotter. They have a squat rack or power rack that's 100000x better than the best spotter could ever be.
    3. Why is being a bicep kissing dudebro something that prevents someone from being friendly and helpful? I'm a bicep kissing dudebro and I've never declined to help someone that asked. Your judgeyness is only slowing your own roll. Just because someone looks like you doesn't automatically make them friendlier than people that are different. Get out of your bubble

^ Every bit of this. Lighten up, walk up to a meathead, and ask for a spot. It's what we do. Hell, a few of us meatheads are actually married with kids and have jobs. Imagine that.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot of time on the weight room floor talking about the chicks I plan to bang. Better not ask me for help.

LOL.

The only move that I really like to have a spotter on is bench press and I have no problem asking the "dudebros". Lunges and squats are done in a power rack with the safety bars set up at the correct height. The bar can roll of your shoulders to the back if you really get stuck. I'm not even sure how someone would spot a deadlift. You just put it down if you get stuck. Gravity is your spot.
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options

DavPul, thank you for your answer.

1. I do not like when someone just asks a question without giving details on their situation. Not everyone is the same. Then again, if reading four short paragraphs requires a lot of effort from you, I suggest that you just do not answer and keep kissing your delicious biceps.

2. Useful info right there! Thanks.

3. If they were only dudebros, it would be okay. But they are mostly *kitten*. I see women talking to them, and the minute they leave, they will usually denigrate them. I can tolerate stupidity but I cannot tolerate misogyny. This is not the kind of crowd I want any help from.
  • petechiae
    Options

LOL.

The only move that I really like to have a spotter on is bench press and I have no problem asking the "dudebros". Lunges and squats are done in a power rack with the safety bars set up at the correct height. The bar can roll of your shoulders to the back if you really get stuck. I'm not even sure how someone would spot a deadlift. You just put it down if you get stuck. Gravity is your spot.

Thanks! I did not know that those moves were done in a power rack. I guess I'll just have to suck it up and try it. It can be intimidating, I hear so many things about bad injuries.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

LOL.

that could be awkward....I can think of ways, but nothing that wouldn't be extremely awkward for both parties....
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    My trainer asked this guy if he'd spot me doing heavier weight for squats and his response was "umm...for her? no, I can't be trusted". And he was the only one she said I should trust. Now I'm like...what? Lighter weight I guess.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

LOL.

Thanks! I did not know that those moves were done in a power rack. I guess I'll just have to suck it up and try it. It can be intimidating, I hear so many things about bad injuries.

watch some YouTube videos...ask someone to check your form...start out with less than you are capable of lifting and work on form first and then start adding weight. Form is important and will prevent injury. People who get injured generally have really ****ty form.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I've very rarely used a spotter, and only for bench, and only if someone is around/wants to work in and offers.

So. LIke 4 times ever.

That said I don't have an issue letting dude bros spot me. When left to their own devices they engage in a little raunchy talk about females? Whatever, I'm probably texting pictures of his semi-erect junk to my friends (Lifting is sexy, I'm not judging.) It's all in fun.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    My standards are probably too low, but if someone is polite to my face and waits until I'm out of earshot to say horrible things about me, I couldn't care less. That's what I call civilized behavior. Call me whatever you want when I get around the corner, but as long as you help me get that weight up we be cool
  • ZaCkOX
    ZaCkOX Posts: 115
    Options
    I don't use a spotter but I have a rack and that works somewhat the same way.
  • kittimiss
    kittimiss Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What would you do in my situation? Stick to a workout in which a spotter isn't really required (with pneumatic exercise equipment), or risk lifting weights without a spotter? Suck it up and ask for a spotter anyway? Ugh.
    [/quote]

Maybe you could try asking one of the trainers to spot you if needed. The ones who walk the floor trolling for clients at my gym are always willing to help out :smile:
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Can I just say I'm a 250+ lb female and I've never had a problem asking someone to spot me. Most guys and girls in the gym are focused on their workout, and I've maybe experienced one jerk in my 10 years of going to the gym. I think you're imagining things that aren't really there. I get that it can be intimidating, but they're just people. As for staring, I've seen some hot women in the gym and have looked...and I'm completely straight. It doesn't mean anything and it doesn't mean someone is a jerk because they look at something.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    My trainer asked this guy if he'd spot me doing heavier weight for squats and his response was "umm...for her? no, I can't be trusted". And he was the only one she said I should trust. Now I'm like...what? Lighter weight I guess.

My best bet is that this guy "can't be trusted" to not hit on you or something. If you have one available, I'd use the power rack to spot you. It won't hit on you and can be trusted to weight limits that most of us would probably never reach!
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options

My best bet is that this guy "can't be trusted" to not hit on you or something. If you have one available, I'd use the power rack to spot you. It won't hit on you and can be trusted to weight limits that most of us would probably never reach!

Yeah I'll probably do this. I think I'd faint if he spotted me anyway.
  • petechiae
    Options
    Can I just say I'm a 250+ lb female and I've never had a problem asking someone to spot me. Most guys and girls in the gym are focused on their workout, and I've maybe experienced one jerk in my 10 years of going to the gym. I think you're imagining things that aren't really there. I get that it can be intimidating, but they're just people. As for staring, I've seen some hot women in the gym and have looked...and I'm completely straight. It doesn't mean anything and it doesn't mean someone is a jerk because they look at something.

Oh, I really don't mind the looking. I do that too. We're all human after all.
    I just have problems with misogynous comments and insults. You are right though, I might be imagining things. Not everyone can possibly be that "bad". Thank you for your encouragements, and congratulations on your weight loss!
  • petechiae
    Options

Yeah I'll probably do this. I think I'd faint if he spotted me anyway.

giphy.gif
  • razztea
    razztea Posts: 3
    Options
    As much as you don't want to ask the meatheads, please please please don't lift without a spotter. A man I know just recently died--they found him on the weight bench, with the barbell cutting off his air. He was only 24, and even thought he'd been lifting for years, he got cocky and thought he could do without a spotter. Don't risk it.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    My husband is my workout partner but half the time he can't make it and I'm not missing a workout so I go alone. When I go alone I tend to go during the day and there tends to not be many people there when I show up. Today for a time I had the whole place to myself! (I live in a small town and go to a small gym.) I do squats and overhead presses in the power rack and utilize the safety bars. Everything else I just do wherever and by myself. The only exception for me is the bench press, I'll either skip it or ask someone for a spot.

Today I needed a piece of equipment that someone had been using to help them with pull ups or something so it was way up high and I couldn't reach it. I asked a "dudebro" to get it for me and he very sweetly got it, was super friendly and very helpful. Who cares if he might have wanted to kiss his bicep? Heck, I kind of wanted to kiss it too! It was beautiful! :love: