Stop Buying Bottled Water

Options

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Is there a bigger waste of money than paying for bottled water? We spend about 800 times more for bottled water than plain old tap water. And if you don't like the taste of tap water, buy a filter -- it's still cheaper than the bottled variety.

Thank you for your concern. I would venture to say cigars are a bigger waste of money. At least water won't harm you physically.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I buy bottled water. It tastes better than my tap water.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    There are TIMES when bottled water is needed.

Camping
    Road trip where you don't want soda (I bring my cup filled up but it runs out quickly and I'll be damned if I fill it up with gas station bathroom tap water.
    I have to have my water ice cold.

I have a filter at home and love it.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    When visiting other states, I buy bottled. I keep bottled water in my car for the kids after our martial arts class.
    For me, around here I buy a bottle of Smart Water and refill it until the bottle practically falls apart.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I keep jugs of water at work - the "filtered" water is yellow. Thanks, but no thanks.

Also, the water in my apartment is very hard and has a sulfuric smell and taste. Again, no thanks.

My old apartment was fine. No issues with tap water. Just put some in a jug, stick it in the fridge and drink it cold, but not this place. Ew.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I use a filter on my sink and drink that. It's great. Except when I lived in Tampa. Nothing can filter the nasty sludge that passes for water in Tampa.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Why are old people so bossy>

tumblr_inline_mmt9xoqhuy1qz4rgp.gif&size=400x1000
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    i drink straight from lake erie because i am a bamf
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    Why are old people so bossy>

this made my hour
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I, fortunately, live in the Rocky Mountains and our town's source of water is a deep ground aquifer. The same aquifer that Deep Rock gets their water from! My tap water tastes better than any bottled water I have found. In fact, I hate the taste of bottled water because it tastes like plastic to me. My tap water is also cleaner than bottled water and at $2.75 per 1 THOUSAND gallons, it's FAR cheaper. Add in the fact that I work for our town's water provider and know exactly how it is pumped, processed and sent to each home and know how good and clean it is, give me tap water any day!

However, there are many parts of the world that isn't the case. When I go to Mexico I don't even use the tap water to brush my teeth! There are also currently places in the United States (Toledo!!) that also shouldn't be drinking tap water! I can't see ever buying bottled water for myself on a regular basis, but if I lived somewhere else? Yeah, maybe.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    I drink water, (sometimes filtered sometimes not) if I do not like the taste then I by a bottle of something else (beer bourbon and other such commodities).
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    1359834832361029823.GIF
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I buy it and will continue to do so if for no other reason than the convenience.
    I go through about 1 case a week, sometimes a bit more and at $4.00 a case it really isn't a big deal.

if you're worried about wasting money how about those stogies that you're smoking, talk about burning through $$$! :bigsmile:

Wow, I can imagine how much easier it is to get in your car, drive to the store, pick up a couple of crates, pay for them, pack them in your car, and dive home than it is to turn on your tap and fill up a filter jug or reusable bottle. FML!

Oh by the way. The reason not to buy bottled water if you live somewhere that has safe tap water isn't about cost.... well, monetary cost anyway. It's about the huge amount of waste from the bottles (no matter what you've been told, plastic bottles are not sustainable). It's about the natural springs that don't feed into rivers because the water is being removed before it gets that far. It's about the fact that *some* bottled water is actually bad for you, the safty standard of bottled water is LOWER than that of tap water in many places. The final reason is the energy cost. Bottled water production in the United States used the energy equivalent of 32 and 54 million barrels of oil to produce and transport plastic water bottles in 2007.

But if you are the type of american that the rest of the world steriotypes you as (lazy, self centred, selfish, and stupid) then you carry on. After all, some people do just like to watch the world burn.

http://www.onlineeducation.net/bottled_water

Butthurt much?
    Just to clarify I don't make a special trip to the store for water.
    I also might have some insight that you might not have, see, I supervise construction of roads, bridges and infrastructure. That includes water lines... I see what municipal water lines look like on the INSIDE when we have to make a repair or a tap. So please continue drinking all of the municipal water that you can!

Oh yeah, when I'm done with a bottle I try to always throw it out the window of my truck, preferable at a puppy or kitten...
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    But if you are the type of american that the rest of the world steriotypes you as (lazy, self centred, selfish, and stupid) then you carry on. After all, some people do just like to watch the world burn.

Self-loathing American on a soapbox alert! Take cover and hide your bottled water, all of you lazy, self-centered, selfish, and stupid Yanks...sigh...

meh, I've visited plenty of places where I've been treated like gold because I'm American. I found that just as silly as being treated like **** just because I'm American. It seems that people all over the world make snap judgments based on very little information.

I mostly just find a lot of curiosity. When I was in Pakistan, a cab driver invited me to have dinner with his family. We enjoyed a great dinner and the family asked me so many questions, gave me a gift and seemed genuinely curious about me, as I was about them. I'm currently living in Tunisia and my husband was talking politics with the cab driver and the driver was expressing his frustration with American position on Israel. At the end of the ride, he heard my husband and I speak in English and he asked if I was British. When my husband said that I was American the driver was so apologetic and said that he hoped he hadn't offended me and that he didn't mean anything against Americans. My husband and I just laughed and explained that Americans don't all agree 100% with everything their government does. We sat for a few minutes and chatted with the cab driver about the United States and the driver made no judgments and was just genuinely curious about me. Even when I lived in South Lebanon in the very heart of Hizbollah, I never felt that anyone was judging me simply being an American and I was treated just like any other western foreigner.

Actually, the only time I was ever treated poorly for being an American was when I was visiting in Montreal. Though I think my slaughtering of the French language may have had something to do with it.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Blessed to live in Racine with clean running water out of my kitchen tap...

"RACINE - The city's tap water has been hailed as the best tasting city water in the country, beating out four other finalists and netting $15,000 for Racine to publicize its water."
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    It's about the natural springs that don't feed into rivers because the water is being removed before it gets that far.

Where do you think tap water comes from?

From the tap, duh. :tongue:
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    In Asia we have "tanks" at home where you store water since the government releases water periodically. A friend of mine found out his tank had a dead cat in it and had been there for about a week at least.

No thanks. I even cook my food with bottled water. And I am being 100% serious.

OMG ... NASTY!!!! I wouldn't even want to bathe in that water. How on earth did it get in there :/ ?

Actually, water is stored in huge above-ground water tanks here in the US. It's not uncommon to find a dead bird or two floating on the water stored in the tanks (oh the joys of getting an engineering degree to learn all these fun facts). One thing to remember is that most municipalities chlorinate their water to kill off microbes and the chlorine effect generally sustains throughout the water distribution system all the way to your tap. Water municipalities are required to produce water that is both potable and palatable; however, the palatable part is sometimes subjective as noted by some people here who have horrible tasting ( and smelling) water. Additionally, water sources can be exposed to surface or subsurface contamination such as cryptosporidium, cyanobacteria, ghiardia, and poly-aromatic hydrocarbons to say the least. Don't forget the big stink about fluoride added to the water (in concentrations of less than 4.0 mg/L mind you) which some people object to. There is also the idea of endocrine disrupters in the water sources that come from excreted birth control pills, blood pressure medication and anti-depression meds that make it's way from waterwater treatment system outfalls back into the surface and subsurface drinking water sources (yes people - we ultimately drink the water than we flush down the toilet). We could even discuss the thought of carcinogenic trihalomethanes produced when the humic material in surface water comes into contact with chlorine. Still, I will drink water from the tap. Sincerely, Debbie Downer
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    a7cf7d0578a9bfb2fb720c567fc890888230bd6f8d645afc05859cc3761bdedb.jpg
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I use filtered water from the fridge at home, a stainless steal bottle to take with me when I leave in the morning and a bobble bottle at work if I need to refill from the water fountains because they do indeed taste like crap. Basically I decided it would be incredibly hypocritical of me to spend an entire unit going over marine pollution in class while congruently quaffing innumerable amounts of bottled water, the caps and rings of which 9 times out of 10 end up in the oceans, recycling or no recycling.
  • thefatveganchef
    thefatveganchef Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My water comes from a well about 50 feet from my house. Nothing like getting yummy pure cold almost free water straight from under the ground. No filtration, no bottles.