Tabata Training

Options
124»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Anecdote: For those of us who WERE going all out with each cycle, I did not see anyone in the room who made it through all 8 periods of each exercise cycle. But since "NinerBuff" didn't teach it, I am sure it wasn't the real thing and just a knock off ... its okay though. I am so sore today - from head to toes - that I know it was a "kick-your-butt" work out that I will go back to again and again.
    Lol, of course it isn't Tabata. Being able to continue beyond 8 rounds means that it wasn't 100% effort.
    Here's a challenge: Find your full sprint speed on a treadmill. Now run it Tabata protocol style. I'm betting you can't do it for 50 minutes. Fast run, yes, but that's not full sprint.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Er... don't worry about insulting Prof. Tabata.

He's the one selling this new course of group classes.
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I do tabata training on myself as well as with my clients. They love it and i personally cant get enough of it!!!!! i am even weight training this way. i start with the heaviest weight i can handle for 20 seconds and drop the poundage from there. for a chest press i can easily start out with 50 lb dumbells and finish off with 5lb ers..... that FEEL like 50 lb ers! You can load the app Tabata timer from your phone and just go to town in your own home doing bodyweight exercises!!!!!! you WILL see a difference!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Just completed my first Tabata Bootcamp class this morning by a Tabata Bootcamp certified instructor (official website: http://www.tabatabootcamp.com/). KILLER workout. I was dead at the end - from head to toes. Definitely a full body workout experience. Class was at 9 am. I managed until 2 pm and then took a 2 hour nap ... Ugh. I am now awake and logged in to my MPF account for the day. Almost wished I hadn't taken the nap because I woke up SO SORE! Hey, can't wait to go again ... may have found my new favorite workout. Definitely not a daily thing because it is very intense and body needs recover time, but think it is going to be a great way to create some interesting variation during my workout week.

you did Tabata for five hours?????? How are you still alive?

No offense, but I think your "tabata bootcamp" is a tabata scam...

It may be regular bootcamp, but no way you are doing tabata for five hours...

No silly, it was a 9 am class - 50 minutes long, stacking different Tabata cycles for different parts of the body, using different weights, cardio, exercise ball, etc for strength training, cardio and core work. When the class was over, I was exhausted and dripping in sweat, but managed through my day until 2 pm when I hit my front door, at which point the nap ensued ...

Anecdote: For those of us who WERE going all out with each cycle, I did not see anyone in the room who made it through all 8 periods of each exercise cycle. But since "NinerBuff" didn't teach it, I am sure it wasn't the real thing and just a knock off ... its okay though. I am so sore today - from head to toes - that I know it was a "kick-your-butt" work out that I will go back to again and again.

thanks for clarifying...

but Tabata is not 50 minutes long...as someone has done Tabata sprints, no way I am doing that for 50 minutes and still be alive to talk about it...

Sounds like you have been duped into paying for something that is not that...but hey, if you like it good for you ...
  • Winston1717
    Options
    I have followed Shin Ohtake's HIIT and it has changed my life and the way I approach strength training and cardio.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Just completed my first Tabata Bootcamp class this morning by a Tabata Bootcamp certified instructor (official website: http://www.tabatabootcamp.com/). KILLER workout. I was dead at the end - from head to toes. Definitely a full body workout experience. Class was at 9 am. I managed until 2 pm and then took a 2 hour nap ... Ugh. I am now awake and logged in to my MPF account for the day. Almost wished I hadn't taken the nap because I woke up SO SORE! Hey, can't wait to go again ... may have found my new favorite workout. Definitely not a daily thing because it is very intense and body needs recover time, but think it is going to be a great way to create some interesting variation during my workout week.

you did Tabata for five hours?????? How are you still alive?

No offense, but I think your "tabata bootcamp" is a tabata scam...

It may be regular bootcamp, but no way you are doing tabata for five hours...

No silly, it was a 9 am class - 50 minutes long, stacking different Tabata cycles for different parts of the body, using different weights, cardio, exercise ball, etc for strength training, cardio and core work. When the class was over, I was exhausted and dripping in sweat, but managed through my day until 2 pm when I hit my front door, at which point the nap ensued ...

thanks for clarifying...

but Tabata is not 50 minutes long...as someone has done Tabata sprints, no way I am doing that for 50 minutes and still be alive to talk about it...

Sounds like you have been duped into paying for something that is not that...but hey, if you like it good for you ...

Didn't have to pay for it. It's a new class included in my regular monthly gym fees. Definitely the best, most intense group workout I have done in a long time. I am sure you will see it start popping up all over as it seems to be a trademarked program that requires the fitness trainer to be certified before offering it to their clients/members. And yes, I am familiar with other types of Tabata as I have two younger athletes in the family and have seen it incorporated in other professional training settings. Thanks though for the head's up advice.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    All this HIITing seems such a throwback to old-style training. It's like Lydiard and his successors never happened.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    All this HIITing seems such a throwback to old-style training. It's like Lydiard and his successors never happened.

Tabata cobbling together his flawed tests is like Lydiard never happened.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I do a crazy 24 minute Tabata workout. It may not be considered true Tabata, but is sure does kick my butt!

Set elliptical for 30 minutes
    Set resistance to the low side of medium
    Set interval timer to 20 seconds work, 10 rest for 8 sets.
    Warm up for 6 minutes doing light intervals
    At the 6 minute mark, start the timer and go as fast as I can for 20, then rest for 10.
    Repeat for a total of 8 times.
    Rest for 1 minutes (slow pace on the elliptical). Now repeat by starting the interval timer again.
    After a total of 5 Tabata sets, cool down for 5 minutes.

The last set is by far the most difficult physical activity I'll ever do. I have to be careful as I've come close to blacking out doing this. I keep a close eye on my HR.