Eliminating White Bread and White Sugar

Options

Replies

• UncreativeMe123
    UncreativeMe123 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I've done this (both total elimination for longer period of time, and just limitation, which I'm trying to do now.) I found it really helpful in reducing the urge to overeat. It also automatically cut out a lot of the unhealthier foods I was eating, so my diet became more nutritious by default.

I'll enjoy rolled oats, sweetened with maybe a tbsp of raisins, or stevia if I want to avoid dried fruit. I will also sometimes buy whipped cream that is very low in sugar (you can find them with less than 1 gram per serving) and just put a bit of that on some berries as a dessert.

I saw someone else mention sweet potato. I will make some mashed sweet potato in batches, and have maybe half a cup with cinnamon after dinner.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I'm a little disappointed in a lot of these responses. I've also eliminated all of the things in your list, replaced them with whole wheat versions. To me, health is more than calorie intake. I'd rather go over my calorie limit with healthy foods, high in fiber, etc than be under my calorie full of sugar and refined, manufactured food.

It's all personal choice so take all of our opinions with a grain of salt and listen to your body. I totally support what you're doing though, because I've done the same thing and feel so much better.

No one said health wasn't important...

For weight loss it is about calories.

No one also said they comprise their entire diet of white bread and sugar. ...

There's no reason to eliminate these things from your diet outside of a medical condition. If you're getting your required nutrients, what does it matter? Honestly.... your health is no better by eating more nutrients than what your body needs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    A two egg ommelette with a little cheese, sautéed onions and mushrooms for breakfast keeps me full for a long time. Two donuts or a pastry with orange juice (OJ is loaded with sugar) does nothing to keep me full. Calorically, they are about the same.

But maybe that's just me.

Pretty common, and most likely more about having a carb-based vs. higher in protein breakfast than some special property of sugar. I used to eat just a plain (big) bagel (some sugar like with most bread products, I'm sure, but not a super lot) and now I eat an omelet with yogurt and fruit, and there are more grams of sugar in my current breakfast, probably, but it's a ton more filling without being meaningfully more calories.

I know if I include foods with sugar as part of an overall balanced diet they definitely contribute to satiety, including those with added sugar, like ice cream or chocolate. The mix of foods definitely makes a difference, though.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    For me, eliminating most refined sugar was the best thing I ever did because sugar is truly empty calories, in the sense that it does absolutely nothing to fill me up.

And when you are cutting calories, you want to eat foods that fill you up, otherwise you will fail at weight loss.

A two egg ommelette with a little cheese, sautéed onions and mushrooms for breakfast keeps me full for a long time. Two donuts or a pastry with orange juice (OJ is loaded with sugar) does nothing to keep me full. Calorically, they are about the same.

I'd agree with you that eggs are more filling. But every now and then, I just want a donut. Now, I fully understand that I cannot have a donut every day. But conversely, I don't want to think I can never have one again, either.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I did not totally eliminate them. I just avoid them as much as I can. And whenever I can, I use coconut sugar instead of white sugar.

What color is coconut sugar?
    Brown, like brown sugar.
    coconut-sugar.jpg

Ah, so it must be healthy!

;-)
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I have tried many diets that eliminate and restrict food groups and they have all failed for me. I end up gaining the weight back or just not losing weight because I'm still eating too many calories. I hope it works for you, but I can't fathom a world without Reese's Cups and carrot cake. A temporary change in diet to reach a goal weight never works if the person goes back to their previous eating habits at the end. I'm having much more success learning how to have a healthy relationship with the foods that I like. ALL of the foods that I like. I work toward getting a healthy ratio of fats, proteins and carbs daily while keeping my calories below what my body needs to stay this size. By creating a caloric deficit, people lose weight. Some people accomplish this by eliminating certain foods/food groups, others by exercising to burn the calories, others (me!) learn how to eat everything they enjoy in moderation and some people combine exercise and a diet plan. The types of foods you eat have nothing to do with how much you weigh, they simply determine overall health. How many calories you eat has everything to do with how much you weigh. So for me, the best success I've had has come from a healthy balance of foods while counting calories.
  • maidentl
    Options
    I did not totally eliminate them. I just avoid them as much as I can. And whenever I can, I use coconut sugar instead of white sugar.

What color is coconut sugar?
    Brown, like brown sugar.

coconut-sugar.jpg

Ah, so it must be healthy!

;-)

But wait! Donuts are brown.

thumb_600.jpg?1347999358
  • dottydawn73
    Options
    Hii, I don't believe in the whole 'calories in calories out' theory, for me it is really important what those calories consist of. I feel so much healthier after cutting out bread and gluten/wheat wherever possible and have found that along with reducing my refined sugar intake, my weight has been so much easier to control and finally start losing some of it again. I too personally avoid pasta, again due to the gluten but do eat rice, both white and brown. You could try quinoa as a substitute or if you aren't gluten intolerant you could try many of the other grains like barley, bulgar wheat, spelt etc.

Good luck with your choices and remember, we are all individuals. Comments made are personal opinion and are neither right nor wrong :)
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Good for you, OP. I am pretty much doing the same, although am happy to have potatoes in my diet, just as long as they are not in excessive amounts. Likewise with grains, where when I lose the excess weight I wish to, I will add small portions of grains like oats, rice and other grains back. I don't see myself adding back wheat, sugar or pasta though, and shall be happy if they remain outside my diet in favour of more nutrient dense foods :)
  • maidentl
    Options
    For me, eliminating most refined sugar was the best thing I ever did because sugar is truly empty calories, in the sense that it does absolutely nothing to fill me up.

And when you are cutting calories, you want to eat foods that fill you up, otherwise you will fail at weight loss.

I'd agree with you that eggs are more filling. But every now and then, I just want a donut. Now, I fully understand that I cannot have a donut every day. But conversely, I don't want to think I can never have one again, either.

I said MOST refined sugar. :)

I think that's what many people are telling her, though. Sure make different choices most of the time, but there's no reason to subject yourself to an arbitrary "no white foods" rule. I am fine mostly not eating certain things because I know that I can eat them. If I had told myself at the beginning of the ride that I couldn't have something, I guarantee you, I would have got off a long time ago. Because the taboo would make me want it and then when I had it I'd feel like I "failed."
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options

I think that's what many people are telling her, though. Sure make different choices most of the time, but there's no reason to subject yourself to an arbitrary "no white foods" rule. I am fine mostly not eating certain things because I know that I can eat them. If I had told myself at the beginning of the ride that I couldn't have something, I guarantee you, I would have got off a long time ago. Because the taboo would make me want it and then when I had it I'd feel like I "failed."

Self control.
  • dottydawn73
    Options
    @prettykitty15 Not really because I have replaced these items with other food so my calorie intake is the same but the food I replace them with is healthier and more beneficial to me :)
  • maidentl
    Options

Self control.

Which I have in spades when I don't make unnecessary rules for myself.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I'd rather go over my calorie limit with healthy foods, high in fiber, etc than be under my calorie full of sugar and refined, manufactured food.
    False dichotomy is false.
  • Ehecatl915
    Options
    It is a good thing. I do not eat any of those, mostly because I am allergic to gluten and corn and those products have it in it. Also those products create yeast in the body if eaten too much of it, which most people do. Yeast or candida causes many health issues, so you are better off without it. There are healthier choices to substitute for those things.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'd rather go over my calorie limit with healthy foods, high in fiber, etc than be under my calorie full of sugar and refined, manufactured food.
    Meh. It's a valid belief.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Meh. It's a valid belief.
    There's nothing valid about the belief that it can only be one or the other.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I typically avoid white bread/pasta as well, because the whole grains versions have more fiber, but I'm a bit confused about what's wrong with potatoes and how 'non white' sugar is better.