Eliminating White Bread and White Sugar

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It is a good thing. I do not eat any of those, mostly because I am allergic to gluten and corn and those products have it in it. Also those products create yeast in the body if eaten too much of it, which most people do. Yeast or candida causes many health issues, so you are better off without it. There are healthier choices to substitute for those things.

How is it that white flour, white sugar, and white potatoes contain corn (or sugar and potatoes gluten)? I mean, I know corn is supposed to be in everything, but I kind of think those are exceptions.

OT: I'm picking up my farm share tonight, here in Illinois, and I expect and certainly hope there's lots of corn in it. Nothing better than fresh corn. Besides, it's really yellow, so should pass the color test!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    OT: Nothing better than fresh corn.
    That's the damned oddest misspelling of tomatoes that I've ever seen.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    I'm a little disappointed in a lot of these responses. I've also eliminated all of the things in your list, replaced them with whole wheat versions. To me, health is more than calorie intake. I'd rather go over my calorie limit with healthy foods, high in fiber, etc than be under my calorie full of sugar and refined, manufactured food.

It's all personal choice so take all of our opinions with a grain of salt and listen to your body. I totally support what you're doing though, because I've done the same thing and feel so much better.
    There isn't significant difference in nutritional value when going from white to wheat to affect health. Lots of people misinterpret that whole wheat is MUCH better when it comes to nutritional value.
    Personally I like the taste of wheat bread over white, but when it comes to rice, it's always going to be white.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP world,

I am starting on a new diet where I am not going to be eating white breads, white sugar, white pastas, white potatoes, or white rice. I am eliminating these from my diet. I am needing to know how well others have done with something like this and offer any advice or recipes/snacks to have with a diet like this. Thanks so much!!!!!:smile:

Instead of mashed potato, I put a cauliflower through the juicer, discard the juice and put butter and/or cream, salt and herbs in the pulp (line the pulp catcher with a plastic bag).

This can also be frozen into single servings which I heat up by throwing in the microwave. Instant mash!

I also use this instead of rice in curries (but without the butter/salt and herbs).

I have little tupperware container salads instead of sandwiches. Sometimes those 'salads' are grated cheese, sliced roast beef and aioli. No lettuce or leaves.

And every week I boil up 10 or so eggs that are kept in a bag in the fridge at work - a little salt and they make an excellent snack!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm a little disappointed in a lot of these responses. I've also eliminated all of the things in your list, replaced them with whole wheat versions. To me, health is more than calorie intake. I'd rather go over my calorie limit with healthy foods, high in fiber, etc than be under my calorie full of sugar and refined, manufactured food.

It's all personal choice so take all of our opinions with a grain of salt and listen to your body. I totally support what you're doing though, because I've done the same thing and feel so much better.
    There isn't significant difference in nutritional value when going from white to wheat to affect health. Lots of people misinterpret that whole wheat is MUCH better when it comes to nutritional value.
    Personally I like the taste of wheat bread over white, but when it comes to rice, it's always going to be white.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    One slice of bread, no. As an over all dietary approach, yes.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Out of diabetic necessity I changed to low carb. And honestly, I've never found losing weight so easy. I haven't necessarily thrown out all the white, but I'm just conscious of it. Before I could eat 3 or 4 mashed potatoes, now I might have half of one if it fits into my carb count for the day. And I won't give up my white english muffin! I keep my carbs around 90/day, spread evenly through my meals (30/meal)

I think the trick is not to just focus on the refined bit but to look at the overall picture, including fruit and veg. You can cut 400 cals of white bread and replace it with 4 bananas...yes, it's healthier, but it's not going to help you lose anything.

But good luck with however you choose to do it.
  • Arlene_Slocum
    Arlene_Slocum Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I did not totally eliminate them. I just avoid them as much as I can. And whenever I can, I use coconut sugar instead of white sugar.

What color is coconut sugar?
    Brown, like brown sugar.

coconut-sugar.jpg

Ah, so it must be healthy!

;-)

But wait! Donuts are brown.

thumb_600.jpg?1347999358

LOL! You guys are funny!

Coco sugar has lower glycemic index. That is why it is better, at least for me.

:happy:
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am starting on a new diet where I am not going to be eating white breads, white sugar, white pastas, white potatoes, or white rice. I am eliminating these from my diet. I am needing to know how well others have done with something like this and offer any advice or recipes/snacks to have with a diet like this. Thanks so much!!!!!:smile:

That has been very effective for me. I reduced about 30# with little hunger and little exercise in about 4 months. I did and still do log.

FYI, brown bread and brown rice is not sustantially different from white. If hunger is an issue then you should be aware of all the other high-carb foods that will cause hunger in an hour or so.

Good luck
  • mom2_4gr8kids
    Options
    Hello MFP world,

Instead of mashed potato, I put a cauliflower through the juicer, discard the juice and put butter and/or cream, salt and herbs in the pulp (line the pulp catcher with a plastic bag).

This can also be frozen into single servings which I heat up by throwing in the microwave. Instant mash!

I also use this instead of rice in curries (but without the butter/salt and herbs).

I have little tupperware container salads instead of sandwiches. Sometimes those 'salads' are grated cheese, sliced roast beef and aioli. No lettuce or leaves.

And every week I boil up 10 or so eggs that are kept in a bag in the fridge at work - a little salt and they make an excellent snack!

In the "I hate it when people on MFP say" thread, someone said they hate it when people say to substitute cauliflower for things in recipes... I had no idea what they were talking about, I had never heard of it. I guess now I have. Interesting. Is that even remotely like mashed potatoes? I can't stand cauliflower, so I obviously won't be doing that, I'm just curious. It kind of made me gag a little thinking about it. What's wrong with mashed potatoes?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    In the "I hate it when people on MFP say" thread, someone said they hate it when people say to substitute cauliflower for things in recipes... I had no idea what they were talking about, I had never heard of it. I guess now I have. Interesting. Is that even remotely like mashed potatoes? I can't stand cauliflower, so I obviously won't be doing that, I'm just curious. It kind of made me gag a little thinking about it. What's wrong with mashed potatoes?

This is always my question. I like cauliflower a lot, and eat it a lot (usually just roasted with some olive oil). I also like potatoes a lot and eat them a lot (not quite as much, I suppose). Mainly also roasted with some olive oil (yeah, I'm boring), but I sometimes mash them. When I'm eating them with roasted chicken (the best way, IMO, although steak is also nice with them), I basically mash them up plain or sometimes with some garlic and skim milk, because I mix them with the meat and don't need butter too. My guess is that cauliflower plus butter and cream (depending on the amount) and juiced to remove some of the fiber wouldn't actually be a nutritional improvement to the potatoes (especially roasted potatoes with the skin) or remarkably less in calories (butter!), so it just feels like some kind of demonization of the potato to me.

I am not actually bugged by people making chocolate cake or whatever out of cauliflower, but as a cauliflower lover I find it odd that people think the highest and best use of the vegetable is to mimic other things. And as someone a little picky about texture cauliflower mashed just doesn't sound appealing, even though potatoes are fine that way. (I admit this is weird of me, though. I also hate shredded carrots, although I like normal carrots.)
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options

I think it is fairly close to mashed potatoes - but then I was quite happy to eat instant mash potatoes as well!

Basically it is something naturally bland with a fluffy white consistency.

There is nothing wrong with mashed potatoes, but if I want to feel in control of my eating, feel satisfied after eating the first bowlful, feel alert instead of sleepy after eating and not bloated, I eat cauliflower instead.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It is a good thing. I do not eat any of those, mostly because I am allergic to gluten and corn and those products have it in it. Also those products create yeast in the body if eaten too much of it, which most people do. Yeast or candida causes many health issues, so you are better off without it. There are healthier choices to substitute for those things.
    I understand not eating certain things due to allergies and food sensitivities, but there is no reason to substitute them otherwise unless is simply personal preference. No food in and of itself is good or bad, and for me balance is key.

Please provided a peer reviewed study to back up your claims that "those products" (what products?) cause yeast in the body if you too much is eaten? That's a pretty vague statement,
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options

This is always my question. I like cauliflower a lot, and eat it a lot (usually just roasted with some olive oil). I also like potatoes a lot and eat them a lot (not quite as much, I suppose). Mainly also roasted with some olive oil (yeah, I'm boring), but I sometimes mash them. When I'm eating them with roasted chicken (the best way, IMO, although steak is also nice with them), I basically mash them up plain or sometimes with some garlic and skim milk, because I mix them with the meat and don't need butter too. My guess is that cauliflower plus butter and cream (depending on the amount) and juiced to remove some of the fiber wouldn't actually be a nutritional improvement to the potatoes (especially roasted potatoes with the skin) or remarkably less in calories (butter!), so it just feels like some kind of demonization of the potato to me.

I am not actually bugged by people making chocolate cake or whatever out of cauliflower, but as a cauliflower lover I find it odd that people think the highest and best use of the vegetable is to mimic other things. And as someone a little picky about texture cauliflower mashed just doesn't sound appealing, even though potatoes are fine that way. (I admit this is weird of me, though. I also hate shredded carrots, although I like normal carrots.)

I have tried the cauliflower substitution. In my opinion, it tasted nothing at all like mashed potatoes. I thought it was gross and ever since then can't figure out how some people say it tastes just the same. I couldnt even eat it lol.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

I have tried the cauliflower substitution. In my opinion, it tasted nothing at all like mashed potatoes. I thought it was gross and ever since then can't figure out how some people say it tastes just the same. I couldnt even eat it lol.

you are good for even trying it. it just sounds wrong.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating white bread and most sugar without even thinking, to be honest. There are some great wholemeal breads out there that taste far better than white, and the sugar thing was easily cut down, first with sugar-free drinks, then down to half a teaspoon in my tea (from two).

You find that as you eat less sugar, your sense of sweet changes, and you realise just how incredibly over the top the things you used to eat were in terms of sugar content. If someone makes me a cup of tea with a whole teaspoon of sugar now, it's ridiculously sweet to me.

As for pasta etc? Good luck. It's the one thing I haven't been able to substitute yet. Not having a buttload of money to try different things instead doesn't help, either.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I'd rather go over my calorie limit with healthy foods, high in fiber, etc than be under my calorie full of sugar and refined, manufactured food.
    False dichotomy is false.
    Meh. It's a valid belief.
    There's nothing valid about the belief that it can only be one or the other.
    :laugh: if you say so.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    For me, eliminating most refined sugar was the best thing I ever did because sugar is truly empty calories, in the sense that it does absolutely nothing to fill me up.

And when you are cutting calories, you want to eat foods that fill you up, otherwise you will fail at weight loss.

A two egg ommelette with a little cheese, sautéed onions and mushrooms for breakfast keeps me full for a long time. Two donuts or a pastry with orange juice (OJ is loaded with sugar) does nothing to keep me full. Calorically, they are about the same.

But maybe that's just me.

I'd agree with you that eggs are more filling. But every now and then, I just want a donut. Now, I fully understand that I cannot have a donut every day. But conversely, I don't want to think I can never have one again, either.

I said MOST refined sugar. :)

I think that's what many people are telling her, though. Sure make different choices most of the time, but there's no reason to subject yourself to an arbitrary "no white foods" rule. I am fine mostly not eating certain things because I know that I can eat them. If I had told myself at the beginning of the ride that I couldn't have something, I guarantee you, I would have got off a long time ago. Because the taboo would make me want it and then when I had it I'd feel like I "failed."

Self control.

Which I have in spades when I don't make unnecessary rules for myself.

You will fail in any diet in that case. going over cals, carbs or what ever.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP world,

I haven't read the other posts but wanted to say that this worked very well for me.
    I'm T2D. It worked so well in fact, that I don't even eat the brown versions of above listed foods.

Some if not most people find this an unsustainable way to live. At 45 yrs old, I'm between the devil & the deep blue sea, so I've chosen to make it work :drinker:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I stopped eating white bread and most sugar without even thinking, to be honest. There are some great wholemeal breads out there that taste far better than white, and the sugar thing was easily cut down, first with sugar-free drinks, then down to half a teaspoon in my tea (from two).

You find that as you eat less sugar, your sense of sweet changes, and you realise just how incredibly over the top the things you used to eat were in terms of sugar content. If someone makes me a cup of tea with a whole teaspoon of sugar now, it's ridiculously sweet to me.

As for pasta etc? Good luck. It's the one thing I haven't been able to substitute yet. Not having a buttload of money to try different things instead doesn't help, either.
    If you have einkorn pasta where you are it's worth a taste. We prefer it to regular pasta.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I'd rather go over my calorie limit with healthy foods, high in fiber, etc than be under my calorie full of sugar and refined, manufactured food.
    False dichotomy is false.
    Meh. It's a valid belief.
    There's nothing valid about the belief that it can only be one or the other.
    :laugh: if you say so.
    Logic says so, but I can see why that might b baffling to you.