Challenge: Let's Give Something Up

Options

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think what I need to give up is time spent on the message boards instead of working out... XD

Please give up the forum. Please.
    I give up giving things up because it isn't necessary.

I respectfully disagree. In theory it's nice to believe that no one should have to give up anything in order to be successful in their weight loss, however, some people recognize that there are things they need to get rid of completely in order to succeed because they've tried doing them in moderation in the past, but it hasn't worked. Also, if someone is currently at a plateau, getting rid of one of those nagging bad habits, can jump start their weight loss again, which is always a plus :smile:

Then you're doing it wrong.
    I'm not ever going to give up donuts just because I want to lose weight. When I lose the weight, I'm still going to want donuts. So learning how to lose weight while still eating donuts and various other foods I love is doing it right.

Giving up foods just to lose weight is dumb.
    Only reason to give up foods is because you're allergic to them or don't like them (like me and pork or me and pumpernickel. or olives. eck)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think what I need to give up is time spent on the message boards instead of working out... XD

Please give up the forum. Please.
    I give up giving things up because it isn't necessary.

I respectfully disagree. In theory it's nice to believe that no one should have to give up anything in order to be successful in their weight loss, however, some people recognize that there are things they need to get rid of completely in order to succeed because they've tried doing them in moderation in the past, but it hasn't worked. Also, if someone is currently at a plateau, getting rid of one of those nagging bad habits, can jump start their weight loss again, which is always a plus :smile:

Then you're doing it wrong.
    I'm not ever going to give up donuts just because I want to lose weight. When I lose the weight, I'm still going to want donuts. So learning how to lose weight while still eating donuts and various other foods I love is doing it right.

Giving up foods just to lose weight is dumb.
    Only reason to give up foods is because you're allergic to them or don't like them (like me and pork or me and pumpernickel. or olives. eck)

I just got told in another thread that i have no self control because I don't deny myself foods. :laugh: I agree with you, except for olives. Olives are good. :bigsmile:
  • ARoe9410
    ARoe9410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    So giving up going to this one store, what is that going to teach you? I don't understand this at all, there will always be other stores, other temptations and not learning to deal with those isn't going to solve anything.

The general idea was to break my bad habit of going every day.

But going to a store I don't see the problem? Learning to go to the store and not buy everything in the store and consuming at once that I can get.

I'm a boredom eater, so if I have a lull in my day, I head over to the store and grab something to eat because it's convenient. It's junk that I don't need to eat and money I don't need to spend. Knowing myself, once I get out of the habit of going, I'll be fine. And I posted it here to give myself a little accountability.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I gave up being lazy and making excuses. Not giving up anything else

+1
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    So giving up going to this one store, what is that going to teach you? I don't understand this at all, there will always be other stores, other temptations and not learning to deal with those isn't going to solve anything.

But going to a store I don't see the problem? Learning to go to the store and not buy everything in the store and consuming at once that I can get.

I'm a boredom eater, so if I have a lull in my day, I head over to the store and grab something to eat because it's convenient. It's junk that I don't need to eat and money I don't need to spend. Knowing myself, once I get out of the habit of going, I'll be fine. And I posted it here to give myself a little accountability.

Well OP I dont think your gonna die if you don't go in that store and in my ole humble opinion if that helps you put a little change in your pocket and keeps you from trying to adjust your whole day just so you can eat a bag a chips I say more power to you.

You know what I'm gonna give up Ice cream for the next two weeks cause 1 serving of Ice cream is 1/2 cup. For me 1/2 cup of Ice cream sucks and I tries and I tries but mano-omano it always turns into a cup and a 1/2 and I think I am more tired of trying to enjoy just a little taste of something then I am of letting it go. I have done it before and I did't die so I think if I dont let my life revolve around the 1/2 cup of Ice cream then I can have just a tad more steak at dinner. I try to moderate with out giving up on some things but sometime I believe out of sight out of mind is for me easier and I do not believe it has ruined my life yet. :drinker:
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I need to give up Dunkin donuts coffee w cream and sugar. It is so yummy,but 160 something calories for one medium size. Not to mention,the more I drink it the more I want it. So yeah I can easily have two-three a day. Taking it with skim milk and sweetener is not the same either. :p. I just need to break up with it. >:-[
  • ARoe9410
    Options

Well OP I dont think your gonna die if you don't go in that store and in my ole humble opinion if that helps you put a little change in your pocket and keeps you from trying to adjust your whole day just so you can eat a bag a chips I say more power to you.

You know what I'm gonna give up Ice cream for the next two weeks cause 1 serving of Ice cream is 1/2 cup. For me 1/2 cup of Ice cream sucks and I tries and I tries but mano-omano it always turns into a cup and a 1/2 and I think I am more tired of trying to enjoy just a little taste of something then I am of letting it go. I have done it before and I did't die so I think if I dont let my life revolve around the 1/2 cup of Ice cream then I can have just a tad more steak at dinner. I try to moderate with out giving up on some things but sometime I believe out of sight out of mind is for me easier and I do not believe it has ruined my life yet. :drinker:

Thank you. This is what I was trying to say but you stated it much better than I could. Sometimes it's a bigger hassle and not worth it to keep doing something in moderation than it is to just cut it out. Thanks for being supportive!
  • jstavix
    jstavix Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I am going to give up posting on the forums because the trolls take everything I say and turn it to crap, just gonna work on me and let them pick on someone else.

:(
  • ARoe9410
    Options
    Maybe some people on this thread should give up being *kitten*. Why even reply if you have nothing of value to add? You are not being clever or funny,just shut up.

^ this 100%
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Maybe some people on this thread should give up being *kitten*. Why even reply if you have nothing of value to add? You are not being clever or funny,just shut up.

^ this 100%

I see. OP supports personal attacks and hates personal opinions on the internet. Duly noted.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I agree. It is absolutely not funny at all to eliminate yummy items.
  • CindeeMaree
    Options
    I need to give up Dunkin donuts coffee w cream and sugar. It is so yummy,but 160 something calories for one medium size. Not to mention,the more I drink it the more I want it. So yeah I can easily have two-three a day. Taking it with skim milk and sweetener is not the same either. :p. I just need to break up with it. >:-[
    I so gave up on those years ago. They are addictive. Don't know what they put in their coffee that makes you go back for more but it's in there. And no, it's not caffeine, I drink coffee daily but not like I drank theirs.
    I need to give up having wine nightly. Even when I fit it into my calories the scale doesn't budge. Won't give it up for a week but I'll give it up every other day for a starter and see how that goes ;-)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Physician <---> Healing <---> Thyself
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

The post above was neither funny nor clever. It also did not add anything of value. Poster should take her own advice.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I am going to give up making excuses as to why I cannot work out, I have been very good for the last 66 days, getting exercise in daily but, school is starting tomorrow and I can already hear that little devil that sits on my shoulder telling me I won't need to work out as much. Not. Gonna. Listen. The only way I lose weight is by moving the booda!!

:)

I am going to give up pretending that I enjoy working out, or that it is even good for me.

Instead, I am going to skip breakfast EVERY MORNING and eat my first meal at noon EVERY DAY and I will loss weight that way- fool that I be.

You said it first.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I am going to give up posting on the forums because the trolls take everything I say and turn it to crap, just gonna work on me and let them pick on someone else.

:(

I have not seen where anyone was picking on you. Can you post a link to it or quote it for me please?
  • tremenza
    tremenza Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Alcohol.....ny long term target is 6 weeks but Im desperate to give up the everyday beer (s) -seriously hindering weightloss and motivation!
    Good luck everyone!!
  • ARoe9410
    Options
    Alcohol.....ny long term target is 6 weeks but Im desperate to give up the everyday beer (s) -seriously hindering weightloss and motivation!
    Good luck everyone!!

Good luck to you too! You can do it!
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The OP is trying to give up a bad habit - the habit of mindless eating. That's a great goal!
    I will join you with giving up reaching for a snack when I am stressed out. Instead I will grab my little notebook I bought and write down what's bothering me.
    Good luck to us on our way to great health!!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    How about every day I give up a random food, but just for that day?