Fat Shaming

Options
How do you feel about fat shaming? And would you defend someone who being bullied for being fat?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think it's an a*hole thing to do, and yes I would.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about fat shaming? And would you defend someone who being bullied for being fat?

I am ashamed that I'm fat.

ETA - I've defended others for less.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I think it's horrible. I have met many parents that do this to their kids even and it really F's them up.. I would defend someone being bullied by anyone....
  • BlondeButtercup127
    BlondeButtercup127 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I think it's an a*hole thing to do, and yes I would.

This.
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    All of us -- fat, thin, in between -- deserve to live in our bodies without harassment. Period.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I fat shame.

I'm allowed.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Without question, yes
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Fat shaming is horrid, any kind of shaming is. When it became ok to talk to/about someone like that, well, I'm not sure. I would defend anyone who was being demeaned in that way.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    All of us -- fat, thin, in between -- deserve to live in our bodies without harassment. Period.

This x10000
    Just because someone is fat (or thin or short or tall or whatever else) doesn't mean they don't deserve kindness and respect. We are all humans with feelings.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options

Ugh, I hate that term.

Bullying is bullying and in my definition bullying is the use of force, threat, or coercion to abuse, intimidate, or aggressively impose domination over others.

But the doctor telling you you are fat is not bullying. The vast majority of them do not want to have to repeatedly tell people that.

People staring at an overweight or obese person out in public is not bullying - depending on where you are, a woman wearing a burqua or a man covered in tattoos, with bright pink hair and numerous facial piercings will get stared at by others.

People expressing concern that their equipment is not designed to deal with obese individuals (i.e. a dentist concerned their chair may break, a dr not being concerned about needing numerous people & specialized equipment to move one patient) is not bullying.

But yes, I have been known to step in when people are being bullied.

But even that term gets overused these days too. It seems to some individuals, every time you mention something they don't want to hear they will claim they are being bullied.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I would seriously kick some major @$$, without hesitation.

My little sister was fat shamed all throughout elementary and most of high school before she dropped out because she was so ashamed of herself. She was over 300lbs and is now at 140lbs, but now she struggles with borderline anorexia. She cannot force herself to eat any more than about 600 calories a day and she is still very ashamed of her body that is now covered in loose skin, though she is very beautiful. She is afraid of food and cries when she feels she's eaten too much, even when she's barely eaten.

Fat shaming is extremely hurtful. It's not just words, it can have such an extreme affect/impact on a persons life, and it shouldn't be taken lightly. I'm so thankful that my husband is extremely in shape and athletic, and now so is my son, so I don't ever have to worry about him growing up to be like me, or my sister.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Ugh, I hate that term.

Bullying is bullying and in my definition bullying is the use of force, threat, or coercion to abuse, intimidate, or aggressively impose domination over others.

But the doctor telling you you are fat is not bullying. The vast majority of them do not want to have to repeatedly tell people that.

People staring at an overweight or obese person out in public is not bullying - depending on where you are, a woman wearing a burqua or a man covered in tattoos, with bright pink hair and numerous facial piercings will get stared at by others.

People expressing concern that their equipment is not designed to deal with obese individuals (i.e. a dentist concerned their chair may break, a dr not being concerned about needing numerous people & specialized equipment to move one patient) is not bullying.

But yes, I have been known to step in when people are being bullied.

But even that term gets overused these days too. It seems to some individuals, every time you mention something they don't want to hear they will claim they are being bullied.

I don't consider any of that fat shaming.

To me, fat shaming is focusing on a persons fat, rather than who they are and insulting them because of it. This is fat shaming:

http://www.returnofkings.com/19498/fat-shaming-week-was-a-corpulent-success
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Fat shaming is done my *kitten* wipes and it states more about them than the fat person. Even though I feel people have it within themselves to lose weight, there are many reasons people become fat. Yes, I would tell an *kitten* wipe to go screw-off someplace.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Well I don't think it's right to make fun of someone for being fat, but you should not comfort them nor pity them for being fat - which is of course a self inflicted, very preventable condition.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I used to be fat .. and hated it. I would never wish anyone to be fat if they did not want to be .. our society is just too mean and being fat is not a pretty thing in this world.
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    It is all about respect, Respect for each other as human beings regardless of age, race, size, belief etc etc, No-one should be shamed. We should try to encourage positivity and support, and yes sometimes a little bit of tough love. Which you can still do respectfully!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Agreed.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

What do you mean by bullied? If refusing to put the arm rest up on an airplane so the fat person beside you can overflow into your seat, then yes! I'm a bully.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I've been through fat shaming, skinny shaming and fit/muscle shaming. Everyone gets it. I actually get it MORE now that I'm in shape.