Fat Shaming

Options

Replies

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I've been through fat shaming, skinny shaming and fit/muscle shaming. Everyone gets it. I actually get it MORE now that I'm in shape.

:flowerforyou: and :heart:

Bullying is never ok.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about fat shaming? And would you defend someone who being bullied for being fat?

What do you mean by bullied? If refusing to put the arm rest up on an airplane so the fat person beside you can overflow into your seat, then yes! I'm a bully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kupi4ST707U
  • mom2_4gr8kids
    Options
    In a second. I would defend anyone getting bullied for anything. There's just no reason for it.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It's terribly wrong and I would defend someone 100%.

I've seen what it can do to people, even when they aren't overweight.

Case in point: a close friend of mine growing up was around 125 at 5'3" and her MOTHER told her she needed to lose weight because she thought that my friend's size 6 clothes were "far too large." My friend acted like it wasn't a big deal, but when she decided she wanted to work out to gain some muscle definition, she started counting calories, obsessing about them and ended up trying to have a net of 0 every day. Luckily, my friend realized what was going on before it became a full blown ED.

Everyone deserves to be respected. If someone you love needs a "come to Jesus" talk about an issue they're having, there are much, MUCH better ways to handle it than by shaming them.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options

I don't consider any of that fat shaming.

To me, fat shaming is focusing on a persons fat, rather than who they are and insulting them because of it.

So basically, if they weren't fat, the focus would be one having big ears/ a big nose/ big boobs or something?

Why does it need to be called anything but bullying?
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    I think its wrong for anyone to be bullied for any reason. Fat, skinny, black, white, gay, straight, christian, atheist, american, russian, etc. If anyone is bullied for any reason its wrong and i stand up for them. I have been bullied all my life, i know how it feels and it makes you feel like **** and leaves you scarred for life. No one should be bullied at all. Period end of story.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think quite a bit of what's being called fat shaming isnt actually fat shaming so much as people being reminded that they are some logistical consequences to them being larger. the airplane seat is a good example. i mean seriously, if you need 2 seats then you pay for 2 seats.

as for defending someone for being bullied, then yeah. i have done so in the past and more than likely would so so again

How do you feel about fat shaming? And would you defend someone who being bullied for being fat?

What do you mean by bullied? If refusing to put the arm rest up on an airplane so the fat person beside you can overflow into your seat, then yes! I'm a bully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kupi4ST707U

they-had-it-coming.gif
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i fail to see the point of creating the OP. what, was she expecting a bunch of people on the other side of the equation standing up loud and proud in defense of fat shaming?

other topics the OP might consider posting the next time she's bored:

"Do you think we should bring back slavery in the United States?" [ ] Yes [ ] No

"Are you a fan of the cold blooded murdering of complete strangers [ ] Yes [ ] No [ ] You mean if I can get away with it?

"Puppies: Do you think people should eat them?" [ ] Yes [ ] No [ ] With enough hot sauce
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think this topic is a bit of a dead horse

at least it's not another ":sad: my boobs are too big and smack me in the face when i run i can't find a bra anywhere" thread.

i give the OP an a for basically adding in the would you become captain save-a-fatty
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I've been through fat shaming, skinny shaming and fit/muscle shaming. Everyone gets it. I actually get it MORE now that I'm in shape.
    You know what, this is an excellent point. I've felt shamed for getting thinner, as well as being fat. People always seem to comment on my muscles definition now, as well as being fairly small.

I get tired of, "You're getting awfully skinny" as much as I used to get tired of, "You're really put on a lot of weight.

When I was a kid I was bullied for being fat. Then ,fat was the minority. It's really no fun.

Just treat people as people no matter what their size.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think this topic is a bit of a dead horse
    No kidding.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options

I don't consider any of that fat shaming.

To me, fat shaming is focusing on a persons fat, rather than who they are and insulting them because of it.

So basically, if they weren't fat, the focus would be one having big ears/ a big nose/ big boobs or something?

Why does it need to be called anything but bullying?

I agree :). I was just responding to the question. Bullying, no matter what, is unacceptable.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    LOTS of fat shamers here but what do you expect from a forum where its members often recommend weight loss over sustained mental happiness.
  • glc1990
    glc1990 Posts: 22
    Options
    Why is this even a question or topic????

Of course bullying is wrong. It always is and there isn't ever an excuse... I don't know how anyone can ever defend it.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    any type of bullying is not okay. its harassment and verbal assault in my opinion. I am pretty outspoken so yes dam right if I see anything like this I would speak out. Its not okay to make yourself feel better by bringing others down. Not ever. :devil: :sick: :cry:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I think it's awful. It's as bad as skinny shaming. People are mean but there is no one body/shape that is ostracized.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    LOTS of fat shamers here but what do you expect from a forum where its members often recommend weight loss over sustained mental happiness.

+1
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I would not fat shame.....not my style.

But I do have to say.....it irks me to no end, that if I want to travel by plane somewhere, and I get stuck next to someone who is too big for their seat and they are spilling into my space.

I paid for my seat, stay out of it.
    I am not spilling into your seat.