Beware: Peanut Butter

Options
Hello! I am looking for the healthiest natrual peanut butter! Maybe I can just use the food processor and process the peanuts and just add water (idea)?!

What PB would you recommend? TIA! :drinker:

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There really is no one healthier peanut butter than another. I did like wegmans organic all natural but I don't know if you have a wegmans near you.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I use either Smucker's Organic Natural Peanut Butter... or I just make my own in my Vitamix....if you are making your own, all you need is roasted peanuts and salt (if you want)... no need to add water...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    There really is no "healthiest" version. Whether organic or highly processed, peanut butter is broken down to it's simplest form and absorbed whether it's Jif, Skippy's or Trader Joe's.
    Personally I just get any "natural" peanut butter that just has peanuts, salt and oil regardless of brand.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    There really is no "healthiest" version. Whether organic or highly processed, peanut butter is broken down to it's simplest form and absorbed whether it's Jif, Skippy's or Trader Joe's.
    Personally I just get any "natural" peanut butter that just has peanuts, salt and oil regardless of brand.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    I agree with this. I generally buy the store brand. Just check the ingredients. All I want is peanuts and salt. You can also grind your own, or I know that a few grocery stores (Whole Foods for example) allow you to grind your own peanut and almond butter in the store.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Peanut Butter & Co bran, but I've no idea if it fits your personal definition of "healthiest natural peanut butter."

A lot of people make their own PB so I'm sure you can find some quick recipes online. And check your grocery store to see if you can grind your own there in the store.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you like, that fits into your daily goals and macros. :wink:

Hard to go wrong w/ PB
  • Nojoke81
    Nojoke81 Posts: 131
    Options
    I don't have the will power to go near the stuff. Cold turkey :(
  • MityMax96
    Options
    . You can also grind your own, or I know that a few grocery stores (Whole Foods for example) allow you to grind your own peanut and almond butter in the store.

BEST EVER!!!!!!
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    PB2!!!
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I love PB!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like Teddy Super Chunky all natural... BUT.... I just found www.myoatmeal.com and put in an order - pretty freaking excited.... review to follow as soon as it arrives in the mail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    Don't add water, add vegetable oil and some salt/sugar if you want.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Its easy to make your own, if you want to go that route. I just roast the peanuts on a dry pan until they're nicely browned, then toss the lot in the food processor for 10 mins or a little more until it starts to look like peanut butter. After that I just add a few pinches of salt to taste, and voila! :) The only downside is I never feel overly comfortable with my relatively inexpensive food processor getting so warm running it for so long at one time, but that said its still going :)

Re: commercial peanut butter, I like Whole Earth's organic one, although it does have a bit of palm oil in it. That said its by far the tastiest 3 ingredient (peanuts, oil, salt) peanut butter I've tasted.
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I can't live without Peanut Butter.
    I'm a fan of many Smuckers products, many of their PB products are great in my book.
    I have recently learned about PB2 and I am trying it here and there when I have time to make it.
    I know I would love to buy it fresh ground without adding anything, but I don't get to those types of food stores very often. This is one food I would not be able to give up.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Nom nom.

Merdian are a good brand to go for. They do most nut butters which is simply ground up nuts. No palm oil either, if the Borneo situation bothers you at all.

I prefer my PB not to have any extra sugar or oil added because less calories means MOAR PEANUT BUTTER.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I usually get whatever "natural" brand is cheapest in whatever supermarket I'm in. I don't care for the taste of the added sugar.
    I really, really like Wegman's organic natural smooth, but it's usually much more expensive then the other options :/
  • MityMax96
    Options
    PB2!!!

w/ Chocolate.

But PB2 isn't bad, very good actually...
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you are just looking to trim calories and fat, PB2 or Protein Plus Peanut Flour are your best options. I like Protein Plus better because it is less sweet and has a slightly higher amount of protein than PB2.

If you are looking for something that is more natural, you could make your own. A lot of stores also have the machines that grind peanuts and almonds into nut butter. I know Whole Foods does, and most other stores that cater to the natural foods crowd do as well (Sprouts, Sunflower, etc). My local grocery store even has the machines now.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    PB2!!!

w/ Chocolate.

But PB2 isn't bad, very good actually...

Just had PB2 with chocolate blue bell ice cream last night. So good.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Maranatha organic is good, also any of their other nut butters, such as almond, cashew, or especially macadamia!!! Mac nuts are the best (along with walnuts) for upping your fat macros without extra carbs if you do that sort of thing. NO judgement :angry:
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You can also buy protein peanut butter. Normally has whey or some other protein added to give a protein kick. Haven't personally bought this yet, plus I also tend to go a bit crazy on peanut butter. If I meet my next weightloss goal for end of August, I'm gonna try nuts n' more. Plus they have some delicious looking flavors.