How fast do YOU run?

Options
I'm just starting out, so at the moment I run about a 16:30 minute mile. My goal is to one day make it to a 12 or even 10 minute mile, but I know that's farther down the road. I'm focusing more on endurance than speed.

But what are your run times? I'm curious as to the different speeds people are at and why/how they got there.

Replies

• ganaz23
    ganaz23 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I started out running about 6 years ago and my first 5k I ran in about 34 mins. My fastest time for a 5k this year was 27:34. I practice running uphill sometimes or jog for a min and then sprint for as long as I can and then go back to a jog.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I started out running about 6 years ago and my first 5k I ran in about 34 mins. My fastest time for a 5k this year was 27:34. I practice running uphill sometimes or jog for a min and then sprint for as long as I can and then go back to a jog.

Nice!!! I'm a little afraid of sprinting, it reminds me of high school PE, lol. But my 5k training program involves some speedwork in the upcoming weeks, so I'll be doing something similar to that soon!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    When I started out, several years ago, I was lucky to jog a 15 minute mile. (And I had to break that into two 0.5 mile increments.)

Now, I can run a 5k in 25:09 (my current PR). My fastest mile to date is somewhere in the 7:15-7:30 range. (I need to do this again to see if it has dropped at all since that was set about a year ago.)

Intervals have helped the most. Strength training and just logging the miles have also helped.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I started running in May of this year , I usually run 5.5K in 45 minutes that's with 5 minute warm up in the beginning and 5 minute cool down at the end. I know I'm very slow runner, but at least I can run 5 minutes straight without stopping now, which i couldn't do it back in May :drinker: I use RunKeeper app to track my fitness progress.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Faster than yesterday, and not as fast as tomorrow.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I started running in May of this year , I usually run 5.5K in 45 minutes that's with 5 minute warm up in the beginning and 5 minute cool down at the end. I know I'm very slow runner, but at least I can run 5 minutes straight without stopping now, which i couldn't do it back in May :drinker: I use RunKeeper app to track my fitness progress.

I use Runkeeper as well! It's so helpful for seeing my progress and getting a feel for where I'm at.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options

I use Runkeeper as well! It's so helpful for seeing my progress and getting a feel for where I'm at.

yeah , it motivates me a lot. Some days when i'm really bored, i'll check out all the graphs and stuff. Pretty cool :smokin:
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out, so at the moment I run about a 16:30 minute mile. My goal is to one day make it to a 12 or even 10 minute mile, but I know that's farther down the road. I'm focusing more on endurance than speed.

But what are your run times? I'm curious as to the different speeds people are at and why/how they got there.

I won't tell you my pace b'coz it will not be fair for you to compare with someone who has been running for years. You will get to 12 or 10 mile pace but it will take time depending upon how committed you are to reaching that goal with a sensible plan.

The more you run with a good plan the better you get at running.

Good Luck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm not an endurance runner...never have been. I do run a bit for fitness, but even when I was in the military and regularly ran 3-5 miles per day, I was always at the back of the pack. I'm not designed to run long distances...but I was an outstanding sprinter growing up...once upon a time I was third in the state in the 100 meters.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yesterday it was 93 degrees and hilly. My pace was 13:40.

Last week for temp run it was 11:30.

Long run is about the same as my hill run pace-13:xx.

So it is fluid. Sometimes I feel like death in this humidity and I am easily at a 14+ mile. AT my fittest, about 5 years ago, I was running 9mm. Eventually I would like to get back down to around a 10 minute mile for my race pace. I am not fast by nature. I don't even like the way it feels. I like distance-long and slow.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I started at a 15 min/mile pace. 12 min/mile is now my forever pace. I can run a single sub 10 mile on a treadmill, but haven't been able to get that on the road yet. Running faster comes with time and lots of miles.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Just slightly faster than the other guy the bear is chasing ;-)

Anyway. Depends...inside, outside, etc. I tend to be faster outside, and have to work to keep my pace slower. I finished C25K a week or two ago and am moving on to 10K. Pace from 10:30 to 9 per mile, got into the 8's when I was doing an event. Not a great idea. I have found that doing pace/speed work at this point is detrimental and has lead to injury issues...so I am going back to slow miles. In fact, as I start back up from 10 days off, I am following the Jeff Galloway program with my Hal Higdon schedule...JG advocates for a run/walk program, and I will be doing that until I feel it is appropriate to move on. Next summer on my mountain vacation I want to be doing trail running in the Rockies, so...I have time to toughen up these legs.

Have fun!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    How fast I run is really a factor of distance. My single mile is about 2 minutes faster than my half marathon pace (probably even quicker but I haven't done a single mile in a long time).

As for how to get faster ... run. Build the base to run your chosen distance. Speed work is more an intermediate and advanced training tool but if you're at that stage in your running development, use them. Hills are great training aids ... long, steady inclines make running flat courses seem easier. Short, steep hills challenge your muscles and cardiovascular system with a different challenge.
  • litchfieldd
    litchfieldd Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My pace has changed a lot in the last few months since I started seriously shedding my weight and the occasional run that focusses more on hills or speed work. In the last 4 months I've moved from running a 10K at a pace of about 6:20 min/km (10:10 min/mile) to now comfortably managing around 5:20 min/km (8:35 min/mile).

But starting out, just focus on slowly increasing the time you run for. The speed will come eventually.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Well...I "run" and I can two two miles in 26 minutes and 26 seconds. If I were to do one mile alone I could maybe go faster but I'm trying to work into a 5k.

ETA: when I started I could walk a mile in about 21minutes and I was wiped out. I'm sure I run slower outside still, but it's too high impact on my knees currently. I focus on going just a litte longer or farther each time.
  • shadowofender
    Options

Best answer.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what anybody else runs, and as others have said, pace varies depending on what your doing. Race pace and recovery pace are two totally different things. My recovery pace is about 6 minutes per mile slower than my mile race pace.

Just go out there and run, build slowly, be consistent, and you'll see you pace improve.

Best answer.

It's a cute answer, but unfortunately not true in running. Improvement is not linear.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options

I won't tell you my pace b'coz it will not be fair for you to compare with someone who has been running for years. You will get to 12 or 10 mile pace but it will take time depending upon how committed you are to reaching that goal with a sensible plan.

The more you run with a good plan the better you get at running.

Good Luck.

This...youll get to where you want to be but make sure its a fun journey and not an excercise in torture.
  • shadowofender
    Options

Best answer.

It's a cute answer, but unfortunately not true in running. Improvement is not linear.

I feel like in the beginning it is. Obviously it evens out eventually and you hit the range of pace that is your best and that's what you run at. But when you're just starting, like me, or like the OP, it's a lot easier to make and to see improvements. It's not always linear, you're right, but it's prgoress and it will be for who knows how long.