How fast do YOU run?

Options

Replies

• vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    When I was 16, I was a pretty thin kid. I remember in gym class having to run 1/2 mile around the track for gym. I was always one of the last people to finish in 5.5-6.5 min followed by a cough fit that lasted for hours.

I HATED running.

What happened between now & then?

I got fat. Then I ran a LOT. It wasn't always easy. I started off at 18 not really able to run 1/2 a mile.

Now, 4-5 years after I started trying to run, I ran hold 6:10 pace for a 5k.. :-O

Usually I run 7:30-8:30 pace when I'm not racing or doing a workout.

Start where you are. If you make a commitment, you WILL see improvements.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what anybody else runs, and as others have said, pace varies depending on what your doing. Race pace and recovery pace are two totally different things. My recovery pace is about 6 minutes per mile slower than my mile race pace.

Just go out there and run, build slowly, be consistent, and you'll see you pace improve.
    Faster than yesterday, and not as fast as tomorrow.

Best answer.

It's a cute answer, but unfortunately not true in running. Improvement is not linear.

Lol I completely agree.. It's ANYTHING but linear.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    If I'm running one mile, I can do it in about 10 minutes. My endurance however sucks still (to be fair, I've only been running for about 3 weeks), so once I pass into the second mile, I start packing on the time like crazy.
    My current goal is to get to the point that I can run 2 miles at a pace around 10 minutes each, and then I'll decide if I want to/can run further since I'm trying to be cautious of my knees.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    About 12.5 minute miles. Only been running for a couple of months. Seems to be my happy place. First 5k tomorrow, so we'll see :smile:
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    When I "run" its around 9-12mph
    When I "jog" its around 6-9mph

I used to run track when i was a kid...got to the 5:50ish time to run a mile. 2 years ago, at 225lbs, it would take me about 10-12 minutes to jog/walk a mile. Today at 185, I could probably do one in 7 minutes or slightly under if I was on a track and pushing myself.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    You'll get faster and you'll be able to run longer. Just take it slow. When I started out, I ran for about 12 minutes. No idea how far it was, but I'm sure it was a good bit less than a mile. I do much better than that now, but it didn't happen overnight. My first 5K time is about 12 minutes slower than my best 5K time. I'm faster than some and slower than many more.

If you want to get faster, do intervals and hills (hills are speedwork in disguise).
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options

Best answer.

It's a cute answer, but unfortunately not true in running. Improvement is not linear.

I feel like in the beginning it is. Obviously it evens out eventually and you hit the range of pace that is your best and that's what you run at. But when you're just starting, like me, or like the OP, it's a lot easier to make and to see improvements. It's not always linear, you're right, but it's prgoress and it will be for who knows how long.

Your going to see huge gains both in pace and distance at the start...not much different then starting to lift....whats cool about it is it makes you feel like a superhero!!!
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I average 5:30 per mine >o< Trying to get myself to slow down/pace myself is difficult.
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    i think 10 mins/mile is a good pace that you can build the distance up on.
  • Partylikelizkeeler
    Partylikelizkeeler Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I average a 5-6 minute mile!
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I grew up playing a variety of sports, through the end of high school. I wasn't terribly active in college, aside from walking a lot and a workout here and there. I started getting more into working out a few years after college, and I am probably fitter now than I have been in years (I have to say, at age 10, I could run for what seemed like forever... but I ended up putting on some weight in my awkward pre-teen/teen years haha).

So I didn't end up doing my first 5k until a couple of years after I graduated college. I ended up with about a 9.5 minute mile pace. Now my best 5k is a 7 min 24 sec mile, but I'd LOVE to break a 7 minute mile someday. Longer runs (the longest I've done is a 10k) tend to be 8-8.5 minute miles.

ETA as far as how to build it up... I generally do a lot of HIIT training (right now I'm doing Tapout XT which has that at least to some extent) and play sports (hockey). That gets me generally in good enough shape to "wing" a 5k around an 8.5-9 minute mile. I was running a lot more frequently when I set my 5k PR - I find that I perform better and can pace myself better when running more consistently. Aside from doing "regular" runs (with a steady pace), I also like to do some intervals while running (alternating between jogging and faster running.. on a track you could do a light jog for a lap and a faster run for 1/2 lap or something). I also always finish my runs with a sprint, which I think helps me finish strong when I am doing a race. Lastly, training on hills would certainly help... then running on flat ground seems a lot easier!
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    A year ago I could barely walk a 20 minute mile, let alone even think about running one. In that year I've plodded along, getting stronger and fitter every single month. I'm proud to say I'm maintaining at a 10 minute mile for up to about 4 miles, beyond that I do slow down to about an 11 min mile. Not sure if I'll get much faster, not sure if it matters. Keep doing what you are doing, you'll be amazed at how relatively quickly you will get stronger and quicker.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what anybody else runs, and as others have said, pace varies depending on what your doing. Race pace and recovery pace are two totally different things. My recovery pace is about 6 minutes per mile slower than my mile race pace.

Just go out there and run, build slowly, be consistent, and you'll see you pace improve.

Best answer.

Silly point is cute :smile: and silly....we all know that. Am i faster than i was when I first started? Yes.
    Am i as fast as I will be? No way, so yes tomorrow I will be faster...just a matter of which tomorrow.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I am still at the point where I can walk long distances faster than I can run. For example just in the last month I have been able to walk long distances at 4.0 mph.

So right now I am trying to do "speed work" (for me) at 5 mph for shorter period of times. Then I also do a lot of job/walk.

i don't know if I am ever going to be able to do a 5K at a 10:00 min/mile pace.. but I am going to try. :smile:

I use the runkeeper app and I love it!
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It depends on what is chasing me (:bigsmile: )
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I run JUST fast enough to stay out of the grasp of the pursuer:noway:
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Between 4-5 mph but I'm short - 5'2".
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It's all relative to the type of run you are doing and, of course, the distance.
    Running 1 mile vs running 26.2 miles = different paces.
    Training run vs race = different paces.

Just do your thing, and you will get faster.

And, honestly, I wouldn't compare myself to what people are saying on this thread... The girl saying she is averaging a 5:30 mile is obviously omitting some details.. Or she is on the Olympic team... :noway:
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've been running for several years. My best 5k pace was 8:01 - my best half marathon pace was 8:33. My marathon pace was just over 11 minutes (bonkity bonk bonk) For regular runs during the week I'm generally in the 9 to 9:30 range.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I started out, after losing about 60 pounds, running at about 12:00/ mile (actually 11:40). After working up to a marathon last year I was down to about 8:40 for a single mile. I can now do a single mile at 7:15 and I've run recent half marathons at approximately 9:40/mile pace. My most recent 5K was run at a 8:13/mile pace.

My last marathon was in April and I did that at an 11:20 pace in very warm conditions. By building endurance, you can get a lot of speed as a benefit and it is a smart way to do that. But once you get to that point, if you wish to get faster, you have to do the work to get you there.