How fast do YOU run?

Options

Replies

• moonpie83
    moonpie83 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out, so at the moment I run about a 16:30 minute mile. My goal is to one day make it to a 12 or even 10 minute mile, but I know that's farther down the road. I'm focusing more on endurance than speed.

But what are your run times? I'm curious as to the different speeds people are at and why/how they got there.

I run/walk right now. :) I'm doing the couch to 5k training program...or at least I'm trying, LOL. I like it because I don't consider myself a runner at all and it has helped me in the past. I'm doing about a 14 min/mile or so right now, but like you, I'm working more towards endurance. Check out the program, you may like it. You can take as little or as much time as you like on it (trust me, I've started and stopped so many times!) You can google it...couchto5k.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Between 4-5 mph but I'm short - 5'2".

Height is irrelevant. Meb is 5'4.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out, so at the moment I run about a 16:30 minute mile. My goal is to one day make it to a 12 or even 10 minute mile, but I know that's farther down the road. I'm focusing more on endurance than speed.

But what are your run times? I'm curious as to the different speeds people are at and why/how they got there.

I won't tell you my pace b'coz it will not be fair for you to compare with someone who has been running for years. You will get to 12 or 10 mile pace but it will take time depending upon how committed you are to reaching that goal with a sensible plan.

The more you run with a good plan the better you get at running.

Good Luck.

^This. Do you!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    It's all relative to the type of run you are doing and, of course, the distance.
    Running 1 mile vs running 26.2 miles = different paces.
    Training run vs race = different paces.

Just do your thing, and you will get faster.

And, honestly, I wouldn't compare myself to what people are saying on this thread... The girl saying she is averaging a 5:30 mile is obviously omitting some details.. Or she is on the Olympic team... :noway:

Seem to be a couple closet-elites here on haha
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    It's all relative to the type of run you are doing and, of course, the distance.
    Running 1 mile vs running 26.2 miles = different paces.
    Training run vs race = different paces.

Just do your thing, and you will get faster.

And, honestly, I wouldn't compare myself to what people are saying on this thread... The girl saying she is averaging a 5:30 mile is obviously omitting some details.. Or she is on the Olympic team... :noway:

Seem to be a couple closet-elites here on haha

I know, right?
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I average 5:30 per mine >o< Trying to get myself to slow down/pace myself is difficult.

Totally makes sense. Shayleen?!?????
  • vmclach
    Options
    Between 4-5 mph but I'm short - 5'2".

Height is irrelevant. Meb is 5'4.

But I'm 5'8" and can't run a 400 @ meb's marathon pace. BOOM
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Anybody put "slower than 90's internet on dial-up, but I run"?

Cool. Then I'm the first.

My last run was on a hiking trail. 17 minute miles at a continuous run. Anybody want to top that state of epic slow?
  • vmclach
    Options
    I average a 5-6 minute mile!

One time I ran a 5:35 mile. I nearly collapsed after. I was coughing up a storm for 12 hours after.

I wish I could average 5-6 min miles
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options

One time I ran a 5:35 mile. I nearly collapsed after. I was coughing up a storm for 12 hours after.

Hell, I wish I could run ONE 5-6 minute mile....
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

20fa8-tumblr_n3m99zilpz1su6zr6o4_400.gif
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    And his recovery pace is about the same as my 5k pace :)

Running is a sport with a big umbrella.
    Doesn't matter what anybody else runs, and as others have said, pace varies depending on what your doing. Race pace and recovery pace are two totally different things. My recovery pace is about 6 minutes per mile slower than my mile race pace.

Just go out there and run, build slowly, be consistent, and you'll see you pace improve.
    Faster than yesterday, and not as fast as tomorrow.

Best answer.

It's a cute answer, but unfortunately not true in running. Improvement is not linear.
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I run between a 9:50- 10:50 min mile. Been running for about 2 years actively. I am sure if I pushed myself more I could make my time faster, but I am okay with not being a gazelle. A mile is mile whether its run in 16 mins or in 5!
  • vmclach
    Options

That's me ;-)
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Sigh, Captain America, you can come keep me company ANY night of the week......
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Faster than the Zombies
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    And I have to call <cough cough bull**** cough cough> on the girl running 5:30 mile AVERAGES. As in this is her everyday training pace......umm no. Straight up no.

Ignore that OP. That is crazier than Tom Cruise on a couch.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    And I have to call <cough cough bull**** cough cough> on the girl running 5:30 mile AVERAGES. As in this is her everyday training pace......umm no. Straight up no.

Ignore that OP. That is crazier than Tom Cruise on a couch.

Or Jeptoo passing a train

rita-jeptoo.gif
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I have only ran a whole mile without stopping once in my lifetime. That was a 12:15 pace. I have since started c25k and hopefully can beat that record later down the road. :)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    tumblr_n3m99zIlPz1su6zr6o3_400.gif
    tumblr_n3m99zIlPz1su6zr6o5_400.gif

I just checked and my average running pace is about a 9:30 mile.