tricep strength training for women

Options

Replies

• zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    this is the last time im going to post something so no worries i'll take my lack of common sense somewhere else
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    this is the last time im going to post something so no worries i'll take my lack of common sense somewhere else

:laugh:

How do people survive RL if they think this is mean?
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    would it kill people to just be a little nicer about stuff? the amount of harshness and sarcastic bull**** i see on here is just disheartening
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

I hope you at least take it to the free weights section of your gym with a good routine:flowerforyou:
  • zericaaaaa
    Options

I hope you at least take it to the free weights section of your gym with a good routine:flowerforyou:

thank you i will. i appreciate your kindness
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    Kickbacks, skull crushers, etc. There are no "for women" strength moves. I do P90X. The shoulders and arms workout is one of my favorites. No, P90X will not make you bulky.

Really though, lifting won't do much for appearances without overall fat loss, but lifting certainly can help with overall fat loss. Since I started lifting my weight has stayed fairly stable, but my body fat has dropped significantly and I look much slimmer.

mmk i just wasn't sure about any of this which is why i posted here. I've been doing strictly cardio + calorie deficit so i just wanted to figure out the best way to ensure i wouldn't be left with extra skin down the line as well
  • zericaaaaa
    Options

Maybe I seen you around and notice you where a bit rude yourself to people...

yeah for good reason. i never would just immediately make someone feel dumb for asking a question. I sure do get angry with people who are just senselessly rude
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    Tricep pushups, tricep dips off a bench, pull ups, tricep overhead presses, skull crushers. You'll see a lot of improvement just doing tricep push ups and dips off a bench or couch~it's more resistance than a 5 lb dumbbell on a kickback.

cool thank you! i have a lot of good routines to try out tomorrow, thank you guys :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

yeah for good reason. i never would just immediately make someone feel dumb for asking a question. I sure do get angry with people who are just senselessly rude

No one can make you feel anything over the internet. That'd be all on you taking it how you decide to take it.
  • zericaaaaa
    Options

No one can make you feel anything over the internet. That'd be all on you taking it how you decide to take it.

okay
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    The best way to reduce fat and maintain muscle is free weights and a good amount of protein, ideally 1g per pound of lean body mass. Losing fat is about calorie deficit, strength training will ensure you maintain current muscle, leaving you leaner at goal weight. Pick a deficit that isn't too aggressive and lift heavy.

If you can't access free weights, body weight exercises or those with dumbells, etc would probably be decent. I've been lifting for a little over a year now. Lost 53 lbs while doing so and am actually doing my first bulk currently. It's honestly the best thing that's happened to me and the best thing I've stuck to. I'm 4 lbs away from my weight I'm high school but two jean sizes smaller than then. Muscle makes a huge difference.

You won't gain muscle in a deficit ( maybe tiny noob gains if you've never done a barbell routine before) but it's very tiny. Any definition you're seeing is losing body fat and uncovering the muscle underneath. Just stick to it and have patience. It'll be worth it in the end!♡
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    honestly OP it's not a dumb question especially if you've read any women's magazines that talk about "toning" and making it seem as if you can spot reduce. you can't ..no one can. but there are tons of magazines with "experts" (and even personal trainers at the gym!) who will try and make you think you can.

also you'd have better use of your time doing compound lifts in the gym that target multiple joints and muscle groups. squats, deadlifts, bench press, lat pull downs, chest press, pushups, overhead press etc.

for instance bench press, chest press and pushups will definitely work the triceps AND you get the added benefit of getting a stronger core, stronger shoulders and chest too.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Women should train the same way men do.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/10/muscle/triceps

You can't spot reduce the fat or extra skin. Losing fat is like drying out a sponge. You can't dry a corner while the rest is still wet.

You missed this one. I offered help with no sarcasm or snark and without being rude.

Honestly you'd probably do best looking into a quality full body workout. You could pick a free one from Bodybuilding.com or you could do Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women. You don't have to do a "woman's" workout because we should train similar to men. We don't have enough testosterone to build huge muscles, so you aren't going to get bulky doing a man's program (I really have been trying to get bulky for the last 3 years).
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

HOLD UP FOLKS!!!! it's okay to be rude to people as long as you have a good reason.

just fyi.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/10/muscle/triceps

You can't spot reduce the fat or extra skin. Losing fat is like drying out a sponge. You can't dry a corner while the rest is still wet.

You missed this one. I offered help with no sarcasm or snark and without being rude.

Honestly you'd probably do best looking into a quality full body workout. You could pick a free one from Bodybuilding.com or you could do Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women. You don't have to do a "woman's" workout because we should train similar to men. We don't have enough testosterone to build huge muscles, so you aren't going to get bulky doing a man's program (I really have been trying to get bulky for the last 3 years).

Assuming she knows how to lift in the first place.

Odds are... no.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

That's why she's suggesting beginner routines. She can watch form videos on youtube and bodybuilding.com, as well as reading the descriptions in Starting Strength and NROLFW.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting are great for beginners. That's why I suggested them. The bodybuilding.com programs have videos for all the lifts in the workouts, which is why I suggested that. Since she asked about tricep strength training for women I naturally assumed she has never lifted before.