tricep strength training for women

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    The best way to reduce fat and maintain muscle is free weights and a good amount of protein, ideally 1g per pound of lean body mass. Losing fat is about calorie deficit, strength training will ensure you maintain current muscle, leaving you leaner at goal weight. Pick a deficit that isn't too aggressive and lift heavy.

If you can't access free weights, body weight exercises or those with dumbells, etc would probably be decent. I've been lifting for a little over a year now. Lost 53 lbs while doing so and am actually doing my first bulk currently. It's honestly the best thing that's happened to me and the best thing I've stuck to. I'm 4 lbs away from my weight I'm high school but two jean sizes smaller than then. Muscle makes a huge difference.

You won't gain muscle in a deficit ( maybe tiny noob gains if you've never done a barbell routine before) but it's very tiny. Any definition you're seeing is losing body fat and uncovering the muscle underneath. Just stick to it and have patience. It'll be worth it in the end!♡

thank you! and congrats on all your success! that is awesome that you're even smaller than you were in high school. i'll keep all this in mind.

and i think i shoulda made my post a little more clear, i am currently eating at/around 1420 cals a day with anywhere from 30-60 mins of cardio 5 days a week, measured by my polar hrm. i just wanted to find the most effective way to get my arms in good shape as i lose weight. i understand that it will take time, (as much as i wish it didn't take SO much time lol) but I was just trying to see if there were any specific routines besides an overhead extension (if thats even what its called haha) cause thats the only routine i was doing. i can't lift, i don't lift, not trying to act like i know everything about weight loss either and in retrospect i probs should have just googled it lol

Why can't you lift? Can you at least do bodyweight exercises?
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The best way to reduce fat and maintain muscle is free weights and a good amount of protein, ideally 1g per pound of lean body mass. Losing fat is about calorie deficit, strength training will ensure you maintain current muscle, leaving you leaner at goal weight. Pick a deficit that isn't too aggressive and lift heavy.

If you can't access free weights, body weight exercises or those with dumbells, etc would probably be decent. I've been lifting for a little over a year now. Lost 53 lbs while doing so and am actually doing my first bulk currently. It's honestly the best thing that's happened to me and the best thing I've stuck to. I'm 4 lbs away from my weight I'm high school but two jean sizes smaller than then. Muscle makes a huge difference.

You won't gain muscle in a deficit ( maybe tiny noob gains if you've never done a barbell routine before) but it's very tiny. Any definition you're seeing is losing body fat and uncovering the muscle underneath. Just stick to it and have patience. It'll be worth it in the end!♡

thank you! and congrats on all your success! that is awesome that you're even smaller than you were in high school. i'll keep all this in mind.

and i think i shoulda made my post a little more clear, i am currently eating at/around 1420 cals a day with anywhere from 30-60 mins of cardio 5 days a week, measured by my polar hrm. i just wanted to find the most effective way to get my arms in good shape as i lose weight. i understand that it will take time, (as much as i wish it didn't take SO much time lol) but I was just trying to see if there were any specific routines besides an overhead extension (if thats even what its called haha) cause thats the only routine i was doing. i can't lift, i don't lift, not trying to act like i know everything about weight loss either and in retrospect i probs should have just googled it lol

Why can't you lift? Can you at least do bodyweight exercises?

that was in response to whoever said 'if she can even lift' lol i mean im not a professional and I'm not going to act like i know every little thing about lifting. i have never dedicated my time to lifting and I've never stuck to a routine so that's all I'm tryin to say here
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Women should train the same way men do.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/10/muscle/triceps

You can't spot reduce the fat or extra skin. Losing fat is like drying out a sponge. You can't dry a corner while the rest is still wet.

I was about to link your "So you want a nice stomach" post, just because of that sponge reference. And now I'm doing it. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1391018-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

Listen, padawan. These Jedi know of what they speak.

Sure they do, just realized they recommend Starting Strength a "Power lifting book" designed for "Coaches" recommended to a "young girl" Never seen a greater dissonance..

OP: learn to lift... it will benefit you greatly in more ways than one. Many youtube videos, and as usmc said, bodybuilding.com has some good resources as well.

Starting Strength is great for beginners. It offers a lot of info/insight as well as advice on form and techniques...so...not sure why you wouldn't want all of that.

Yes for "power lifting" yet Lyle Mcdonald Called rippetoe out and pretty much said he was full of it. He has been making false claims(rippetoe was). Alan Aragon showed up on rippetoes forums, you had an issue because it specifically said in the sticky. "don't post studies we do what works." They are blinded by the facts of lifting and nutrition. Pretty sure they made that sticky because they got called out on a lot of stuff they preach.
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/06/15/why-nutritional-dogma-dies-hard/

It doesn't really go into about the technique on form and such for the actual exercises. So what was being disputed on those?

We are talking about technique, programs, etc. Not nutrition.

And regardless if it was "written" for coaches, it doesn't mean beginners still can't benefit from it. It is quite possible for beginners to comprehend the material..which many have.

Even trainers/coaches have recommended it to those starting out.

I can't think of anyone who I know... that started lifting with power lifting lifts. Did you, or do you know anyone?

with squats and deadlifts and bench press? i know tons of people and so do you considering how many 30 day squat challenges on this forum.

oh yeah and i started with the "power lifting lifts" when i was the wee old age of 16 so did all the other girls on my high school soccer team and track team as well as the basketball team

unless you mean the olympic lifts (snatches, cleans, jerks) then yes noone starts on those since you need to know the basic lifts before you can do those...

From my understanding those 30 day squat challenges are body weight squats...or am I wrong? The lifting it sounds like it was under direct supervision. I wouldn't start anyone out with a program with barbells without a solid foundation of lifting and proper supervision.

but it's the same thing... the only thing that makes powerlifting powerlifting is that you're dedicated to trying to put massive weight on the bar but anyone can do the "powerlifting lifts" squats, deadlifts, bench press (or push up if you want to do the body weight version). a squat is still a squat regardless of the weight added, a bench press is still a bench press. lifting is first and foremost focused on the movements rather than the weights as the weights can vary based on whatever your goals are.

ETA these things can also be done with dumbbells. it doesnt have to be just with a barbell
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

ok then push ups.. if you cant do full push ups on the floor then start against the wall, then the counter, then a step then work your way down to the floor

here's a whole slew of pushup variations you can play around with , no need for any special supervision or instruction
    http://greatist.com/fitness/bodyweight-push-up-variations
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/10/muscle/triceps

You can't spot reduce the fat or extra skin. Losing fat is like drying out a sponge. You can't dry a corner while the rest is still wet.

I was about to link your "So you want a nice stomach" post, just because of that sponge reference. And now I'm doing it. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1391018-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

Sure they do, just realized they recommend Starting Strength a "Power lifting book" designed for "Coaches" recommended to a "young girl" Never seen a greater dissonance..

OP: learn to lift... it will benefit you greatly in more ways than one. Many youtube videos, and as usmc said, bodybuilding.com has some good resources as well.

Starting Strength is great for beginners. It offers a lot of info/insight as well as advice on form and techniques...so...not sure why you wouldn't want all of that.

Yes for "power lifting" yet Lyle Mcdonald Called rippetoe out and pretty much said he was full of it. He has been making false claims(rippetoe was). Alan Aragon showed up on rippetoes forums, you had an issue because it specifically said in the sticky. "don't post studies we do what works." They are blinded by the facts of lifting and nutrition. Pretty sure they made that sticky because they got called out on a lot of stuff they preach.

It doesn't really go into about the technique on form and such for the actual exercises. So what was being disputed on those?

And regardless if it was "written" for coaches, it doesn't mean beginners still can't benefit from it. It is quite possible for beginners to comprehend the material..which many have.

I can't think of anyone who I know... that started lifting with power lifting lifts. Did you, or do you know anyone?

with squats and deadlifts and bench press? i know tons of people and so do you considering how many 30 day squat challenges on this forum.

oh yeah and i started with the "power lifting lifts" when i was the wee old age of 16 so did all the other girls on my high school soccer team and track team as well as the basketball team

unless you mean the olympic lifts (snatches, cleans, jerks) then yes noone starts on those since you need to know the basic lifts before you can do those...

From my understanding those 30 day squat challenges are body weight squats...or am I wrong? The lifting it sounds like it was under direct supervision. I wouldn't start anyone out with a program with barbells without a solid foundation of lifting and proper supervision.

If people could only learn to lift under direct supervision, there'd be A LOT of people who lift now that would never have attempted it.

You are starting to grasp at straws. The information in the book is still able to be followed by beginners and there is even a program FOR beginners listed in it.

ETA: Have you actually read Starting Strength?

Not grasping for starws, look at the facts. Just look up "youtube" and look up "lifting fails" There are many people who lift with heavy compound movements and still don't know what they're doing. That's why it's important to do it under direct supervision. I have seen people on these forums who are supposedly "educated" and "experienced" posting videos of them lifting asking for form help. This is one way to learn. Just because you can go out and "lift" doesn't mean you're doing it correctly. More people do it incorrectly than people that do it directly. I can recall this one guy who i am pretty sure read the main "lifting books" 5x5, starting strentgh etc... He posted a video up, and his toes where coming up as he lifted. I pointed it out, he said "oh i didn't catch that." This also means because you "THINK" you're doing it right doesn't mean you're doing it right.

What does this have to do with the fact that Starting Strength is a good resource for beginners (as well as has a program for them) again?

Not everyone is going to be able to afford a trainer and so it's up to them to educate themselves with what resources they can. Luckily, aside from books, there are tons of videos that go over form. So...not sure what you are arguing about at all. At. All.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

but it's the same thing... the only thing that makes powerlifting powerlifting is that you're dedicated to trying to put massive weight on the bar but anyone can do the "powerlifting lifts" squats, deadlifts, bench press (or push up if you want to do the body weight version). a squat is still a squat regardless of the weight added, a bench press is still a bench press. lifting is first and foremost focused on the movements rather than the weights as the weights can vary based on whatever your goals are.

ETA these things can also be done with dumbbells. it doesnt have to be just with a barbell

I do agree with you, the book uses barbells. But I do see your point. I still stand by correct form in my previous post. Just because you think you're doing it right doesn't mean you're doing it right.

yeah SS and SL are written for people who have access to a gym with power cages and weight plates, but not everyone has access to those .

here's another resource for anyone who doesnt have access to weights but still want to get stronger http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/dp/0345528581
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Gee, the first page wasn't harsh or mean at all, and the OP already flounced.
    Wow. Talk about oversensitive. :ohwell:

In addition to the "you can't spot reduce" advice, and "do tricep dips", I'll add that you should always work opposing muscle groups.
    If you do triceps, also do biceps.
    Quads & glutes / hamstrings.
    Situps & back extensions.
    Front & back flys.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    wow everybody wanted to quote everybody! lol!!!

kickbacks are good with weights (5-10 lbs)
    pushups keeping your elbow in by your sides are awesome!

If you have access to Jillian Michaels dvds use them! she cover every part of your body!

Oh, yeah, you can't spot reduce, but you CAN target muscle areas… :) some peole over use that phrase, "You can't spot reduce" like it's gonna make them sound smart or something… :P

have fun!!! getting fit and healthy is great!!!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Since I haven't looked at the programs people are recommending, I don't know how they address getting started, or when you should increase your weight or reps, or the different goals of weightlifting.
    I did a blog post which does briefly talk about all of those, in a not-too-technical way.
    Still find some basic "how to" instructional videos though.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-exercise-667080
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    Not grasping for starws, look at the facts. Just look up "youtube" and look up "lifting fails" There are many people who lift with heavy compound movements and still don't know what they're doing. That's why it's important to do it under direct supervision. I have seen people on these forums who are supposedly "educated" and "experienced" posting videos of them lifting asking for form help. This is one way to learn. Just because you can go out and "lift" doesn't mean you're doing it correctly. More people do it incorrectly than people that do it directly. I can recall this one guy who i am pretty sure read the main "lifting books" 5x5, starting strentgh etc... He posted a video up, and his toes where coming up as he lifted. I pointed it out, he said "oh i didn't catch that." This also means because you "THINK" you're doing it right doesn't mean you're doing it right.

direct supervision is a bit much. it's not like we're talking about children and open needles on the playground here. this is why people start light and then work their way up

as for the educated and experienced lifting comment i just wanted to say something.

i'm 42 now and have been weightlifting consistently in some shape or form since i was 16. bodies change. the form that i have now with a larger body, past sports shoulder injury, tight hip flexors and calves from many years sitting at a desk, etc is somewhat different than my thin, injury free 16 year old body. i've probably done a million power cleans in my lifetime but i am essentially relearning it because of those same issues i listed above.

basically form is ALWAYS something that can be improved and tweaked. no one is ever 100% there. i mean are you aware that even olympic athletes are always working on improving form for their sport as well? they are the best in their sport but even they realize there are always improvements that can be made. the fact that some joe or jill from the interwebs is posting videos asking for help and asking for suggestions is part of the process..

and there's nothing wrong with failing a lift per se. in fact i failed a deadlift just yesterday and im ok. i couldnt get the bar up and dropped it, no one died as far as I know.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I started (and returned to) lifting using StrongLifts.

TIL I did it wrong.

*shrug*

(ETA: Oh, and as a teen, for about two months, I tried following the advice in Arnold's Encyclopedia)
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Alternating triceps kickbacks while in a plank. Do one set on one arm until fatigue, then the other.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I started with doing exercises from Shape and Fitness magazines and simple beginner exercises from classes I learned at the gym.

Fast forward 14 years and I am a powerlifter.

I got my arms in shape without ever venturing into powerlifting...with my body weight and dumbbells in 5, 8, 10, and 15 pound increments.

If she wants to start lifting seriously, awesome. Welcome to the cool kids club where you will benefit from increased strength, confidence, and metabolic benefits.

Otherwise, she doesn't need to kill an ant with an atom bomb to see tricep definition. OP: Lifting can be come an addiction and how you evolve is up to you. Getting your arms in better shape can really be pretty simple. Doing something is better than doing nothing.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    this is the last time im going to post something so no worries i'll take my lack of common sense somewhere else

Maybe I seen you around and notice you where a bit rude yourself to people...

yeah for good reason. i never would just immediately make someone feel dumb for asking a question. I sure do get angry with people who are just senselessly rude

No one can make you feel anything over the internet. That'd be all on you taking it how you decide to take it.

You guys/gals need to all stop telling other people how to feel. I deal with drunk a holes for a living in a dive bar where I remove knives from train tramps and crackheads and pretty much the people on the internet have a lot more balls in being blatantly rude for no reason, probably because they'd get knocked out in RL. It's cute.

Does it make me feel bad? No, except I feel bad for the people doing it because they must have a lot of unresolved issues in RL if they have so little compassion that they have to get high on dishing out snark for no reason behind a computer screen. Sad.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    this is the last time im going to post something so no worries i'll take my lack of common sense somewhere else

Maybe I seen you around and notice you where a bit rude yourself to people...

yeah for good reason. i never would just immediately make someone feel dumb for asking a question. I sure do get angry with people who are just senselessly rude

No one can make you feel anything over the internet. That'd be all on you taking it how you decide to take it.

You guys/gals need to all stop telling other people how to feel. I deal with drunk a holes for a living in a dive bar where I remove knives from train tramps and crackheads and pretty much the people on the internet have a lot more balls in being blatantly rude for no reason, probably because they'd get knocked out in RL. It's cute.

I never told her "how" to feel.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

If people could only learn to lift under direct supervision, there'd be A LOT of people who lift now that would never have attempted it.

You are starting to grasp at straws. The information in the book is still able to be followed by beginners and there is even a program FOR beginners listed in it.

ETA: Have you actually read Starting Strength?

What does this have to do with the fact that Starting Strength is a good resource for beginners (as well as has a program for them) again?

Not everyone is going to be able to afford a trainer and so it's up to them to educate themselves with what resources they can. Luckily, aside from books, there are tons of videos that go over form. So...not sure what you are arguing about at all. At. All.

Point was... this comment you made "If people could only learn to lift under direct supervision, there'd be A LOT of people who lift now that would never have attempted it." which is false. There is a A LOT of people who can' t lift correctly. Just because someone can lift doesn't mean they're doing it right. that's my point.

And there are a lot of people who are supervised by trainers and get told to do it wrong. So....

Well.....

Anyways, OP, feel free to review the sources that were listed and check out videos. Don't be scared to give any of it a try even if you can't be directly supervised.