Dr's Fat Shaming Caused Emotional Eating

Options

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    For those that are concerned, she is only 13 lbs and is a little over 3 years old. The doctor says that she just doesn't need to get any bigger, and I feed her Science Diet Naturals Indoor Cat, Grain Free, no fillers. Her food is pretty top of the line. She plays constantly (by herself with her toys, and she plays catch and fetch with me, and also dashes out to attack when I pass by), and is perfectly healthy.

I would try perhaps a food with higher protein. The food you're currently using sounds fine but is 30% protein which is on the lower end for cat food. Grain free is good but grains free can still be higher carb, which an obligate carnivore like a cat doesn't normally do well with in the long term. I would perhaps consider looking for something 40% protein at least.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    This is hilarious and I'm laughing even harder at the people treating this like a serious matter.
    I'm not a cat lady but yours is super cute, OP :) she looks happy and well fed.
    If I weren't on my phone I'd post a couple pics of my dog, who every winter, despite by best efforts plumps out due to increased snugglyness and decreased time outside on walks..we call her Fatdog.

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    No more mice for you!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    For those that are concerned, she is only 13 lbs and is a little over 3 years old. The doctor says that she just doesn't need to get any bigger, and I feed her Science Diet Naturals Indoor Cat, Grain Free, no fillers. Her food is pretty top of the line. She plays constantly (by herself with her toys, and she plays catch and fetch with me, and also dashes out to attack when I pass by), and is perfectly healthy.

I would try perhaps a food with higher protein. The food you're currently using sounds fine but is 30% protein which is on the lower end for cat food. Grain free is good but grains free can still be higher carb, which an obligate carnivore like a cat doesn't normally do well with in the long term. I would perhaps consider looking for something 40% protein at least.

just wanted to recommend some stuff since i had to move my kitty to high protein diet after her diabetes diagnosis and was on a tight budget:

fancy feast : turkey & giblets
    fancy feast: chopped grill

thankfully wellness core has some high protein dry food that i would use as well
    fancy feast :
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    My cat (one of my cats) is a Maine Coon. He stands, at the shoulder, taller than my knee (I am 5'7) and weighs in at 25 pounds! He looks like a bobcat coming at you, but probably gets tired of everyone shrieking, "Oh my God, that is the biggest cat I have ever seen!" Poor thing probably has a complex!

Any cat with a streak of maine coon in its ancestry is the best cat ever. They all share the title together. I miss ours so much! And they're definitely big boned. And fluffy. And when they get older, fat. But ours never let her chub stop her from acting like a kitten well into her old age. And she lived to a very old age, belly and all.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    So does this mean you aren't going to feed her cheap shrimp?
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    auto-cats-snowman-fat-cat-198647.jpeg
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    So does this mean you aren't going to feed her cheap shrimp?
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    auto-cats-snowman-fat-cat-198647.jpeg

LOL
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yeah, she is definitely overweight. I have a Rag doll and they are naturally large cats and I assure you my baby is smaller than yours (although he's mostly fur). You can see that your cat has lots of adipose on either side of her. It's not healthy and as others have mentioned, it puts her at a higher risk of diabetes, even cancer.

How many times a day do you feed her? Does she have access to food 24/7 (i.e. leave her bowl full of food all day long)?

The fur on her tummy is very long and fluffy. I put down a little less than a cup of food in her bowl and it stays in her bowl until she eats all of it, which usually takes her 2-3 days.

And for those that didn't get the humor, I chose the chubbiest looking picture of her I could find, on purpose.:smile:

I'd better not post any pictures of our guinea pigs!

OMG, I can't put the 'hogs' on a diet because the resulting screaming is more than any of us can bear.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    She just hasn't grown into her body yet....
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I will have to post pictures of my cats tonight. They will make yours feel much better.....
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't call her a cat, she/he might identify as a dog.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    My cat (one of my cats) is a Maine Coon. He stands, at the shoulder, taller than my knee (I am 5'7) and weighs in at 25 pounds! He looks like a bobcat coming at you, but probably gets tired of everyone shrieking, "Oh my God, that is the biggest cat I have ever seen!" Poor thing probably has a complex!

I have 2 Maine Coons and we hear that every time anyone new comes over. I call them gentle giants.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have three brats myself, and all of them are pretty fit and toned (one's even a little too thin, I worry about her a bit) - I have a house with 4 flights of stairs, and they're constantly climbing up and down, up and down, chasing each other around the house, etc. They get so much exercise that I've HAD to leave food out 24/7 for them and they still clamor for more.

My dream is to get one of these for my cats (can't post pics at present):

http://www.catswall.com/modular-cat-climbing-wall.html

If only it wasn't thousands of dollars....

ETA: Has anyone tried Blue Buffalo brand cat food? I keep hearing about how good it is, but it's a LOT of money and if I bought this for them regularly, they'd be eating better than I would....
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Your cat is adorable! Just as in dogs, there are different breeds of cats whose bone structure dictates how their weight is distributed. It sounds like you are doing all the right things.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Aw! She's a beauty!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    She doesn't look that overweight for a cat. Vets are like doctors and tend to overreact. Then again our cats eat like they're always starving.

True story... our cats always act as if they are starving by the end of the day... even if they still have food in their bowls.
  • geneva042
    Options
    from a former vet tech pov
    yes she's overweight ;)

there's amazing vet food that can help, or I think RC even made a petstore weightloss cat food that helps some cats I know ^-^
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Because this thread needs gifs.

cat-going-crazy-bed-feeling.gif
  • geneva042
    Options
    Yup. Cleo's chubby.

Its a diabetes risk in cats, so you actually do need to take the vet seriously.

Costco currently has wild-caught frozen pacific small shrimp for $10/2 lbs, aka $5/lb.

The regular price for fancy feast at Nob Hill Foods where I live works out to $5.35/lb.

Shrimp has a lot lower calorie-density than cat food. Consider feeding your cat shrimp one meal a day to cut his calories without reducing his enjoyment of his food at all. (assuming he likes shrimp).

add: also makes a really nice salad for you if you take 3 oz on top of butter lettuce with cubed avocado, cubed mango, and raspberry balsamic vinaigrette.

only prob I have with the kirkland brand is that it's so full of crap, that we got tones of UTI and blockage with that.
    however! since its a female cat, she'll get UTI but no blockage (basically she'll pee everywhere and there might be blood/foul odor, but she wont block, so you'll get enough time to go see a vet before it gets serious :P

so just make sure she drinks a LOT
    (or avoid the crap brands :S

/vettechrant
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I know this is obviously a click-bait LOL thread, it is a sad truth that more than half of US dogs and cats are overweight or obese. It's really sad because we're responsible for our pets' wellbeing and we're feeding them to early graves. It's absolutely depressing.