I know you're a tourist because ....

Options

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    You have no idea what I mean when I tell you to drive past the Big Chicken.

You have a stupid yankee accent.

What accent you talkin bout? Fugghedaboutit!
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    All these pages and no one mentioned.

---- When you see teenagers hanging around their parents. :laugh:
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    You are surprised when I dont end my sentences with "eh".
    You ask me where I can buy real maple syrup.
    You ask me if there are gas stations between here and Alaska, and then look annoyed when I say you dont even need any further north because the polar bears will give you a push when you need it.
    You ask if you should wear a sweater on the tour. Never mind the Georgian accent, you are a tourist from a long lineage of tourists if you're worried about getting a bit chilly underground on a 35*C day. It's not cold, it's refreshing!
    :laugh:

- You are asking directions to "the West Edmonton Mall" - it's "West Ed", and I think most locals over 20 avoid it if they can
    - You're taking pictures of the pirate ship in the mall, or paying to watch the Sea Lion show
    - You are surprised you can't see the mountains
    - You think you can just hop on a train/subway and go anywhere outside of the city
    - You were expecting to see snow in July or August (it only happens SOMEtimes)
    - You are wearing pants/sweaters when it's 15C - heck, we bust out the shorts at around 0 lol
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You try to tip in a pub .

You order pints of BitterS

You eat in McDonalds ... "gee you have them here too " ... unfortunately we do, yes

You ask for French fries in a Fish and Chip shop

You say "Quaint" ..... a lot..... actually a hell of a lot

You try to buy London Bridge :-p ..... again

You talk loudly and slowly in case WE don't understand English!

You call the underground the TOOB

You ask if I know the queen.

You're too scared to drive on the CORRECT side of the road ... and if you do you have ZERO clue how to negotiate a roundabout.
  • mamaoftwins9197
    mamaoftwins9197 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You refer to it as anything other than downtown (Washington, DC).

You ask if the Metro is safe.

You've been on any kind of tourbus (other than in elementary school).

You don't know that the numbered streets run north to south and the lettered streets run east to west.

You don't know how to get to "the mall", Ben's Chili Bowl, the Cherry Blossoms, etc.

You don't know that Marion Barry is the "mayor for life".
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You order cappuccino after an heavy dinner

I'm not sure why this one makes someone a tourist. My husband always orders a cappuccino after dinner when we are out regardless of where it is.

Because I'm italian
    Only tourists do that

I'm not Italian but...expecting salad at the front end of the meal?
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I know you're a tourist because...

1) You have NO idea who The Civil Wars, Jason Isbell, or the Alabama Shakes are...

2) You're baffled that not everyone drives a jacked up truck with a rebel flag decal on the back window (reference to southern stereotypes)

3) You had no clue that Florence/Muscle Shoals has had a HUGE impact on American music in the 60's-70's and continues to.

4) You're clueless as to what the line "Muscle Shoals has The Swampers" means in Lynyrd Skynyrd's song "Sweet Home Alabama".

ETA: If you have never heard of white BBQ sauce before and where it originates. Seriously, that stuff is better than any other kind of BBQ sauce.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You call the main course of the meal the Entree ... eh? WTF?

You try to tip EVERYONE and use a calculator to work it out exactly ....... Bwhaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    You think that Beale St. is a good place to be after dark.

You think that Rendezvous has good barbeque.

I'm not a local, but I think Central BBQ is better. I do think Rendezvous is decent too, though.
  • Phatgirl420
    Phatgirl420 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I live in Maryland, so I know you're a tourist when you visit the inner harbor, which to us locals is nothing but a nasty polluted swamp...

When you order crab cakes from ANY restaurant you visit, just because you are in Md. so they must be all created equal, right?

When you buy any and everything that has crabs on it (shirts, mugs, keychains, etc...)
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    You're downtown between Church and Broadway on a Saturday mid-day. Or a Sunday. . . .
  • BigDaddyD72
    BigDaddyD72 Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    you are in another country and you get pissed at everyone for not understanding what you are talking about
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    You ask what a cheese curd is
    If you have to ask. . .
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I live in Maryland, so I know you're a tourist when you visit the inner harbor, which to us locals is nothing but a nasty polluted swamp...

When you order crab cakes from ANY restaurant you visit, just because you are in Md. so they must be all created equal, right?

When you buy any and everything that has crabs on it (shirts, mugs, keychains, etc...)

Whaaaaaaat? I love the Inner Harbor. I mean...yes, the "water" is the consistency of jello and smells like a dirty diaper, but the water taxi, and the bars, and the aquarium, and the shops...come on!

I typically think someone must be from out of town if they try to engage me in conversation. Locals don't talk to strangers.
  • Phatgirl420
    Phatgirl420 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Whaaaaaaat? I love the Inner Harbor. I mean...yes, the "water" is the consistency of jello and smells like a dirty diaper, but the water taxi, and the bars, and the aquarium, and the shops...come on!

I typically think someone must be from out of town if they try to engage me in conversation. Locals don't talk to strangers.

Do you live right in that area where the harbor is? I do, have all my life, and to us who live right there, it's nothing but a overpriced, tourist trap swamp full of yuppies, I mean come on, you just said it...jello like water that smells like a dirty diaper...can an aquarium and restaurants make that better? And why would anyone in their right mind want to take a water taxi thru that crap? I don't think so lol :-P
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    It's summer in San Francisco (read: fog and brrrrrr!) and you're wearing shorts and a tank top and/or your child is swimming at Ocean Beach.

You're eating clam chowder out of a sourdough bowl at Fisherman's Wharf when there are thousands of amazing and better restaurants nearby.

You're on a segway tour and/or riding a ridiculous four/five/six person bike through Golden Gate Park, holding up all the traffic behind you.

Depending on your age, you're either on an open-top bus taking photos of the fake hippie kids on Haight Street, or you're dressed up like a hippie kid walking down Haight Street.

You're on the bus with me and ask me when it will get to Union Square, when we're clearly heading toward the beach... yeah, you're on the right line, but you got onto the bus going the opposite direction.

You're asking me how to get to the Golden Gate Bridge/Lombard St./the Japanese Tea Garden/etc.
  • lngbrd
    lngbrd Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You have Arizona plates
  • hei_ma_ma
    hei_ma_ma Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You pull over to photograph the once-in-a-lifetime sight of a moose on the side of the highway.

So true, so true...

Also,

- You've got giant bags under your eyes due to lack of sleep (the sun didn't set last night, or the night before, or the night before..).
    - It's raining and you've got an umbrella.
    - You can't figure out how to pronounce the place names that start with "kn."
    - You think a 50 lb fish is big!!!
  • kika_mckee
    kika_mckee Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You ask what a cheese curd is
    If you have to ask. . .
    Cheese Curds...fresh Cheddar cheese in its natural, random shape and form before being processed into blocks and aged. Curds have a mild taste with a slightly rubbery texture and should squeak when eaten. *Note: Freshness may be lost 24 hours after opening package

Deep-Fried Cheese Curds…a specialty of the Midwest where fresh curds are dipped in a beer-based batter before being placed in a deep fryer.

Squeak…the trademark sound from a fresh cheese curd. Squeak should be high-pitched, audible with every bite and sound comparable to "balloons trying to neck," (The New York Times). *Note: Squeak may be lost 12 hours after opening package.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    You're in Lower Manhattan on a weekend during summer.

You're in Midtown Manhattan on a weekend (or any other day of the week).

You're in Central Park on the weekend and not jogging.

You're at an MTA ticket machine for 20+ minutes to buy a 1 ride ticket!!!!!!

You ask me if you can get to Times Square on this train.

You walk slower than me.

You stop in the middle of the sidewalk to take a picture.