I know you're a tourist because ....

Options

Replies

• Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I hate this one >>>>> you ask me where to 'pahk your cah.'

You ask me to say that and then complain that I haven't said it right.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    ...they say: "Can you tell me how to get to lie-ses-ter square?"
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many choices.

- You say "eh" and give me a quick look to see if I caught that you're hip with the language (I don't say 'eh', ever)
    - You expect to see Cowboys and Indians all over the place - it's the Wild West don't ya know.
    - You are amazed that you can ski in the morning, go golfing in the afternoon and stroll a beach in the evening, all on the same
    day. (okay, it IS cool so I'll give you that one!)
    - You ask me how far it is to "Bon-fuffa". (Banff) and are surprised to hear it's in a different province.
    - You ask me if I know your cousin in Toronto (thousands of miles from here). My gosh, well yes....yes I do. Lovely person too.
    - You ask if you can drive to Montreal for lunch. Sure thing....if you mean lunch next Friday!
    - You tell me how pretty and colorful our money is. :)
    - You expect me to know how to speak French-Canadian.

I love to travel and have been in quite a number of places. I know I've said things to locals (like the Parisian bus driver who wasn't sure if I was serious!) that made them laugh out loud. :)

I love to be a tourist in my own area. There are so many amazing things to see and even though I've been here for over 40 years I'm still not finished!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    ...you're interested in Route 66 and want to buy a t-shirt emblazoned with it

...you ask me if you're in the tornado zone or not

...you think my high school was probably small and people got to school on horseback or John Deere tractors. My graduating class was almost a thousand students and there were whole subcultures like Indian American, Japanese American, Hmong, etc...with enough kids to have an entire subculture. I've been asked if there were any African American kids in my school. WTF

...you refer to the Plaza as "Country Club Plaza" or ask about a tour of fountains - KC area

...you ask "how far is that from the Arch" - St Louis area
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I am a tourist guide, these are the most often:

You are SCARED of any non pre-packaged meal even though I have taken you to a completely safe restaurant and you have taken a sh*tload of tums. (I had a guy request a hospital visit since he swallowed water while he showered)

You think everything and everyone has an "ewww" on their faces and you walk/talk/exist with that face already set, even though you have requested to volunteer to some of the poorest villages.

You are bathing on Purell.

You are carrying ALL of your cash and credit cards on one bag even though you were told to not to do so, for your own safety.

You b*tch at us because you lost that bag.

You have $$$$$ cameras/laptops/etc in full view in red (dangerous) areas, out in public and worse, at night.

It's like people lose all common sense when they travel... :huh:
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You pull over to photograph the once-in-a-lifetime sight of a moose on the side of the highway.
  • Shelalala
    Options
    You're driving a convertible mustang in Southern California. Nobody that has lived here for a reasonable amount of time actually owns a convertible mustang.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I know you are a tourist because when you drive your rental car through the Castro, your faces are glued to the rolled-up windows like you were driving through Lion Country Safari.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    You're driving a convertible mustang in Southern California. Nobody that has lived here for a reasonable amount of time actually owns a convertible mustang.

lol! This!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Man, if I ever rent a car on vacation in southern California, you better believe I'm getting a convertible 'stang.
  • corehawk
    corehawk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You think Branson is neat.

Branson is actively marketed on TV here as a vacation destination. I will be honest, the marketing didn't work for me.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    You rented a car in Philadelphia when parking is as, or more expensive, than taking a cab.

Yup - I was a tourist.

P.S. - Philly cheese steak hype was actually better than the sandwich.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Weirdly- as a foreigner living in Aus.... I seem to miss picking out who the tourists are.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    We don't get tourists here so I'll take a few swings for the other team...

I paid to see alligators in central Florida (realized how silly that was pretty quick)
    I rented a convertible mustang in California (regretted that almost immediately)
    I drove a rental car from Vancouver to Kelowna in the winter because it seemed like a fairly short drive (It's longer than it looks)
    I've asked locals where to buy tickets for the Ohio St vs Michigan, Red Sox's vs Yankees, Montreal vs Toronto... (the list goes on)
    I've walked all around Waikiki beach waving my hang ten fingers at everyone (that was pretty silly even by my standards)

I travel a lot so I've probably been guilty of a great deal of the touristy stuff listed on this board. If I haven't been to your city yet wait patiently and I will eventually show up wearing crazy tourist clothes and asking crazy tourist questions.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You talk on the tube, loudly.
    You eat at Aberdeen Angus steakhouses.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    You ask me about Dorothy, Toto, the munchkins, or ask if I click my heels to get home :huh:
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

From a native New Yorker...

giphy.gif

Lovely man@pic. He took my sister and I to Zabars on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. He literally sampled everything before choosing one or two items. Told us that a New Yorker isn't a New Yorker, if you do not know where it is or buy anything from Zabars. Great neighbourhood store.

ETA: typo

Must buys for me when in Manhattan > Olives, Cheeses, Pastrami Smoked Salmon and rugelachs.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    You think Branson is neat.

Branson is actively marketed on TV here as a vacation destination. I will be honest, the marketing didn't work for me.

lol..I can see why. My husband and I live close enough that it's a good place to get breakfast and hit some outlet stores, but that is about it. They do have a couple tiny wineries and some nice retro motels but I would NOT drive more than an hour or two to visit Branson much less cross a state, country, or ocean...lol
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You wear socks with your sandals.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

From a native New Yorker...

giphy.gif

Lovely man@pic. He took my sister and I to Zabars on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. He literally sampled everything before choosing one or two items. Told us that a New Yorker isn't a New Yorker, if you do not know where it is or buy anything from Zabars. Great neighbourhood store.

ETA: typo

Must buys for me when in Manhattan > Olives, Cheeses, Pastrami Smoked Salmon and rugelachs.

Lol wut?