What am I doing wrong!?!?!?!?

Options

Replies

• MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    As someone who is in recovery from an ED, you have a problem.

It is NOT dedication and you can actually do more harm to your body in the long run than the short term "active and healthy" lifestyle you live now. You can get the results you want with LESS than HALF the work you are putting in now.

Quality over Quantity.

BTW, I'm here if you need to talk.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    3-6 hours a day is exercise bulimia. Plus it's probably working against your goal of weight loss. If you'd just eat 1500 and cut that down to 3-6 hours a week, you'd probably lose fine, measuring or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_bulimia
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed someone has 3 - 6 hours a day to exercise.

Not really that hard to workout that much. Really easy actually. Just takes dedication.

lol..."grownups" rarely get 3-6 hours a day to do anything if they work full time.

I'm 24 and my schedule has been packed since I was 17.

Try working OP.
  • helenarriaza
    Options
    OP... why did it take 3 pages of comments from people trying to help you before you finally tell us about your history of an eating disorder?

Since weighing your food is not an option but you still want to lose weight and have a history of an ED: See a doctor.

Over exercising when you have/had an eating disorder is still a part of the problem, you still see yourself like that.
  • helenarriaza
    Options
    OP... why did it take 3 pages of comments from people trying to help you before you finally tell us about your history of an eating disorder?

Since weighing your food is not an option but you still want to lose weight and have a history of an ED: See a doctor.

^This. And since you are exercising 3-6 hours a day and calling it "dedication," I do not think you have quite conquered your eating disorder. Please see a doctor and get help. :flowerforyou:

I do consider it dedication and I am proud I am active and healthy now. But I want to know the RIGHT way to lose weight.

You say dedication, I say gymorexic

this.
  • AusteenaHayes
    Options
    All I want are damn tips to losing more weight. I know I'm fat so just give me damn tips already!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    You claim to have had an eating disorder, are working out many hours per day, under eating, and say that you need tips on losing weight???????

Here's a tip, go see a doctor!
  • AusteenaHayes
    Options
    You claim to have had an eating disorder, are working out many hours per day, under eating, and say that you need tips on losing weight???????

seriously how many damn times do I have to say it!! I'm fat, I'm not going to some stupid doctor who doesn't know me really and I want to lose weight. End of story its my life, its my body and I can do whatever the hell I want!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

seriously how many damn times do I have to say it!! I'm fat, I'm not going to some stupid doctor who doesn't know me really and I want to lose weight. End of story its my life, its my body and I can do whatever the hell I want!

lHb9105.gif
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Can you get someone else to portion out food for you, weigh it, label it so you know how much is in whatever & your eating disorder doesn't get any worse?
    If you are eating less than 1200, you will go into starvation mode. Maybe up your calories to enough to lose 0.5lb and see how you go...
    doctors like to say that if you don't eat your body goes into starvation mode and hold onto fat,ya it does but you still get tiny
    Starvation mode is a myth. Yes, your metabolism will slow slightly, but if you're eating less than you're using you will lose weight.
    Perhaps get your BF% checked, if you are really low you may not be able to lose any more without losing muscle.
    Good idea. When you see the doctor about your eating disorder resurfacing, including over-exercising, see if s/he can check your body fat.
    Are you eating back your exercise calories to make sure you net at minimum 1200+ calories?
    If you are eating 1300-1400 and buring 1200-1400 your body is only effectively getting 0-100 net calories per day, so you would need to add MORE calories.
    I agree she needs to eat more & exercise less, but even my doctor says to ignore net calories.
    you still want to lose weight and have a history of an ED: See a doctor.
    And since you are exercising 3-6 hours a day and calling it "dedication," I do not think you have quite conquered your eating disorder. Please see a doctor and get help.
    Yes, this.

I did a blog post about exercise:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-exercise-667080
    And one on setting goals:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-setting-goals-667045

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake. However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

• MKEgal
    Options
    I want to know the RIGHT way to lose weight
    Exercise Responsibly (not 3 hours a day), Eat at a Moderate deficit (not under 1200/day). Repeat.
    All I want are damn tips to losing more weight. I know I'm fat so just give me damn tips already!
    how many damn times do I have to say it!! I'm fat, I'm not going to some stupid doctor who doesn't know me really and I want to lose weight. End of story its my life, its my body and I can do whatever the hell I want!
    From what you've described, no, you're not fat.
    You're toward the top end of a healthy weight range based on BMI.

The right way to lose weight:

* See your doctor to be sure what you're thinking about is realistic & healthy. If you don't already have one, check with your insurance (or the local free clinic) to see if there's someone who specializes in helping people with eating disorders, so you don't get any more out of whack. If s/he doesn't already know you, that's what office visits are for. TALK.

* Set a realistic and healthy weight goal, based on BMI and your particular situation. If you're very muscular, you'll probably be toward the top end of the healthy range, or even into the overweight range, and be fine. If you're built small, being toward the lower end would probably be OK.

* If you only have a small amount to lose, which you do, be realistic about how fast you can lose it. 1/2 lb per week is probably the highest you can expect, and less than that may have to be acceptable.

* Using your realistic and healthy goal weight, set a realistic and healthy calorie goal. There are 2 easy ways to do this.
    1 - multiply the goal weight times 10
    2 - multiply your current weight times 10, then subtract 250 cal per day to lose 1/2 lb per week.
    Either way, don't go below 1200 calories per day unless you're supervised by a doctor or very short. (Which it sounds like you're niether.)

* Since weight loss is mostly due to controlling calories in, don't go overboard exercising. Weightlifting no more than 3x a week, and cardio 150 minutes per week.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    why did it take 3 pages of comments from people trying to help you before you finally tell us about your history of an eating disorder?
    Because she knew that people would be even more forceful about telling her that what she's doing is not healthy...
    Which she probably knew all along, but doesn't want to admit to herself.
    She thinks that exercising 3 hours per day is "dedication" (nope, only in professional or Olympic-level athletes), and thinks that her weight at her height makes her fat (nope, she's in a healthy weight range based on BMI).
  • AriFit12
    AriFit12 Posts: 10
    Options
    If you read her other posts you'll find that she admits she's still struggling with anorexia.

Go see a doctor and get yourself some help.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

And we can do whatever the hell we want. This is not a Pro Anna site. You have relapsed. There's no healthy tips for you here other than to work with a professional to adjust your relationship with food
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options

And we can do whatever the hell we want. This is not a Pro Anna site. You have relapsed. There's no healthy tips for you here other than to work with a professional to adjust your relationship with food

I PM'd OP to share my story on how it was very hard for me to lose weight when I becaome overweight because of my history with eating disorders, but that it is possible to do it safely.

She replied with : Are you seriously calling me overweight? Wow. Just. Wow.

She doesn't want real help. :(
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't think OP really wants help... There's tons of good advice already but it seems that she is all wrapped up in her head, thinking she was fat when I'm sure, no one meant to say that. Which is a common symptom of people with eating disorders. That and when people says "End of story," their mind is already made up about any advice/opinions that goes against their own beliefs. Simple best advice: lose weight slowly, exercise but don't over do it, eat enough calories for your body. I use the TDEE method, -10% from maintenance calories actually. Lost weight slowly but hey I still lost. It's not a race whatsoever.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Op didn't you post a thread like 3 weeks ago about how "no one needs to count calories, just be active" because you are doing that?

Guess that's not working out anymore?

Aren't you also the "pollo-tarian"?

Guessing this is a troll account, but w/e.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed someone has 3 - 6 hours a day to exercise.

Not really that hard to workout that much. Really easy actually. Just takes dedication.

lol..."grownups" rarely get 3-6 hours a day to do anything if they work full time.

I'm a grown up and work full time. I have that amount of time to exercise, I just don't. Ok this just shows I do nothing but work and sit at home the rest of the time (runs and hides), maybe I should use this time to you know exercise ;)
  • DMW3015
    DMW3015 Posts: 1
    Options
    AusteenaHayes, ignore the jerks!

I spent several years in the Army, and it was always a constant pursuit for higher fitness. At least for me I hit a wall where I just couldn't lose more weight no matter what. At that point I stopped wasting all the time running excessively and focused on toning exercises and machines. I looked much better, felt stronger, even though the weight or clothing size never really changed. It's just a thought, I don't know extensively what all workouts you do.

For the others, I myself got too obsessed with my image. I was approaching a six pack, dating a gorgeous woman that modeled, and we both felt self conscious. Now that I'm single and overweight and look back at those photos, I can't believe I ever felt that way. But it's her body and I can relate to wanting it more perfect. It's a mindset, and there's always more to obtain. I have a Masters degree now and only want more education. You'd think I'd feel smart, but I see people with doctorates and makes me self conscious.

Anyways feel free to write me any time!