Paleo Eating

Options

Replies

• swoldiergirl
    swoldiergirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's basically eating clean with a twist.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I really don't like the logic of why people follow the paleo diet. The idea here is that if you eat like humans did in the Paleolithic era that you will be healthier like they were. That logic is terrible, first have you even seen a person from that era and thought, man he looked amazing? You realize that people in that era also didn't have a guaranteed meal and had to gather / hunt and kill for their meals as well? Driving to the local whole foods doesn't count as hunting, sorry. Nothing wrong with choosing to eat minimally processed foods, but you will still gain weight if you eat at a calorie surplus.

Paleo works in my opinion due to the amounts of restrictions on the diet. You can't go to McDonald's, or eat Twinkies and ice cream and all of that jazz. So if you eat fresh meats, veggies and fruits then it's less likely you are going to over indulge. There's no stopping by starbucks every morning for your double double white mocha with extra whipped cream, cavemen didn't have that. There's no ice cream, there's no oreo's, no endless bags of Doritos, you catch my drift. However, you can gain weight on paleo if you eat at a calorie surplus.

The problem with following a restrictive diet like paleo is it won't last forever. How long can you really last on a diet that doesn't let you have all of your favorite foods? There's nothing wrong with cutting out processed foods from your diet, in fact I wish they would just call it the no processed food diet, but I guess that's too boring. You get really good at eating paleo and maybe even lose the weight you desired, but then you go back to eating like you did before and all the tips and tricks you learned eating paleo are useless now.

Better idea, eat all of your favorite foods and still lose weight. IIFYM is a flexible dieting technique that in addition to watching your over all calories for the day you also track the amounts of fats, proteins and carbs you consume in the day. I love flexible dieting because as long as I reach my fat minimum goal and protein minimum goal for the day I'm doing well, and if I go over those goals its ok, I just consume less carbs. Best of all, following IIFYM is something you can do the rest of your life.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

I make fun of the "caveman" aspect, because it's silly as hell but that really isn't my issue with the diet. I think it's lame because no one can follow the actual diet without making some kind of adjustment because it is so unsustainable and restrictive. So why even say you're doing it, if everyone is doing it differently? It's a fad, a label like "clean eating" that makes no sense and means something different to everyone.

Wait. Doesn't clean eating just mean eating whole foods and leaving the fast food and junk food alone? What the heck is wrong with that?

This thread is going to turn into a *kitten* storm.

There is no clear definition to clean eating. People say it means "no processed foods" and then eat yogurt or almond milk, which are both processed food. Why not just eat what you want in moderation? At the macro level there is no difference between processed and unprocessed foods.

But the macro level doesn't account for health.

There's a difference at the micro level - which does account for health.

The thing is not everyone follows diets like these for simple weight loss alone. You can loss weight eating anything in a calorie deficit!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I make fun of the "caveman" aspect, because it's silly as hell but that really isn't my issue with the diet. I think it's lame because no one can follow the actual diet without making some kind of adjustment because it is so unsustainable and restrictive. So why even say you're doing it, if everyone is doing it differently? It's a fad, a label like "clean eating" that makes no sense and means something different to everyone.

Wait. Doesn't clean eating just mean eating whole foods and leaving the fast food and junk food alone? What the heck is wrong with that?

There is no clear definition to clean eating. People say it means "no processed foods" and then eat yogurt or almond milk, which are both processed food. Why not just eat what you want in moderation? At the macro level there is no difference between processed and unprocessed foods.

The thing is not everyone follows diets like these for simple weight loss alone. You can loss weight eating anything in a calorie deficit!

Okay, so assume that someone eats 90% processed food but still hits their micros every day....then what?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Okay, so assume that someone eats 90% processed food but still hits their micros every day....then what?

Where HAS Johnnythan been, anyway?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Med School.
  • Madicakes04
    Madicakes04 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised by the answers here regarding the Paleo lifestyle.
    I've been Paleo for seven months and absolutely love it.
    I don't find it restrictive at all...what's restrictive about "don't eat processed food"???
    As far as high cost goes, Paleo recipes and recommendations often tell us to purchase organic meats and produce, however, that's not really necessary. The reality is, you should purchase high quality meats and produce which doesn't necessarily mean organic. Buy lean meats, even if it means having to ask your grocery store butcher to grind a steak into hamburger. But you don't *have* to eat organic, exotic, or free range anything. You should get your produce at a farmer's market because it's not covered in pesticides but, again, that's a recommendation, not a requirement.
    I can't afford all organic groceries, feeding a family of four, two of which are growing almost-teens. But I can buy local produce, lean meats, and have money for some organic items.
    Figure it this way, if I'm not buying two boxes of cereal, two boxes of crackers, two boxes of granola bars each week, I can convert all that saved money to a "splurge" on a pound of organic apples, a pound of organic strawberries, and a pound of organic grapes.

Paleo isn't a "diet" for me. It's our new lifestyle. This is how we will always eat, whether we're trying to lose weight or just to maintain "feel good" bodies.

I don't have headaches, I sleep solidly at night, my son's eczema has cleared up for the first time in his life, my skin is clear, my back doesn't ache, my PCOS has done a 180...I could go on and on.

I think if you follow the plan correctly and don't shrug it off as "too" anything, anyone could find benefits in it.

Hope whatever you decide to do helps you to be healthier and happier!

Grass fed beef is expensive. I do not follow eating trends, ever, but if one is going to tout eating "Paleo" then one is supposed to eat grass fed beef, a la Paleolithic times when cattle or buffalo or what-have-you ate grass and not corn, which cattle eat now.

Organic is expensive too. It's great on paper but in reality it costs to much jsut to be able to say "hey, I'm Paleo."

I am currently doing the Whole30 elimination, and plan on taking on a Paleo/Primal way of eating when done. I buy grassfed meat, when available and buy my family milk from grassfed cows, which I have been doing before I started the Whole30. I also purchase what produce I can from local farmers, who may not be certified organice, but follow the organic way of farming. I do this for the health of myself and my family...not so that I can say "hey, I'm Paleo"....because I'm not. I care about my family and myself and have made the choice to stop feeding them chemicals and laboratory produced "foods". I made the choice that if we are putting something in our bodies it will be for nutrition and flavor, not for empty calories and preservatives designed to make us crave more and more of those things. I made the choice to stop feeding them meat that has less nutritional value, and a greater chance of being tainted, due to the living conditions of the animals themselves. Is it more expensive to buy organic or grassfed? Yes. But, when I look at what I'm saving on cereal, freezer meals, snacks, and all the other processed junk (including "diet" stuff) I refuse to buy now, it's a wash, especially if we all are benefiting from better health and less cravings for the processed junk that has little to no nutritional value.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

How is the 90% broken down? It's not just about what is missed in the diet it's also about what is over consumed!

Are we talking trans fats, interesterified fats.

The American Heart Association recommends a 2g daily limit on trans fats and based on the fact that food manufacturers can add up to 0.5g in their food and still label it as zero percent it makes a difference.

Also how much of that 90% processed food has been cooked in hot polyunsaturated oil?

Give me some specifics and I'll be able to answer the question!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

He may have been struck out!!!! lol
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I don't find it restrictive at all...what's restrictive about "don't eat processed food"???
    As far as high cost goes, Paleo recipes and recommendations often tell us to purchase organic meats and produce, however, that's not really necessary. The reality is, you should purchase high quality meats and produce which doesn't necessarily mean organic. Buy lean meats, even if it means having to ask your grocery store butcher to grind a steak into hamburger. But you don't *have* to eat organic, exotic, or free range anything. You should get your produce at a farmer's market because it's not covered in pesticides but, again, that's a recommendation, not a requirement.
    I can't afford all organic groceries, feeding a family of four, two of which are growing almost-teens. But I can buy local produce, lean meats, and have money for some organic items.
    Figure it this way, if I'm not buying two boxes of cereal, two boxes of crackers, two boxes of granola bars each week, I can convert all that saved money to a "splurge" on a pound of organic apples, a pound of organic strawberries, and a pound of organic grapes.

Paleo isn't a "diet" for me. It's our new lifestyle. This is how we will always eat, whether we're trying to lose weight or just to maintain "feel good" bodies.

I don't have headaches, I sleep solidly at night, my son's eczema has cleared up for the first time in his life, my skin is clear, my back doesn't ache, my PCOS has done a 180...I could go on and on.

I think if you follow the plan correctly and don't shrug it off as "too" anything, anyone could find benefits in it.

Grass fed beef is expensive. I do not follow eating trends, ever, but if one is going to tout eating "Paleo" then one is supposed to eat grass fed beef, a la Paleolithic times when cattle or buffalo or what-have-you ate grass and not corn, which cattle eat now.

Organic is expensive too. It's great on paper but in reality it costs to much jsut to be able to say "hey, I'm Paleo."

I am currently doing the Whole30 elimination, and plan on taking on a Paleo/Primal way of eating when done. I buy grassfed meat, when available and buy my family milk from grassfed cows, which I have been doing before I started the Whole30. I also purchase what produce I can from local farmers, who may not be certified organice, but follow the organic way of farming. I do this for the health of myself and my family...not so that I can say "hey, I'm Paleo"....because I'm not. I care about my family and myself and have made the choice to stop feeding them chemicals and laboratory produced "foods". I made the choice that if we are putting something in our bodies it will be for nutrition and flavor, not for empty calories and preservatives designed to make us crave more and more of those things. I made the choice to stop feeding them meat that has less nutritional value, and a greater chance of being tainted, due to the living conditions of the animals themselves. Is it more expensive to buy organic or grassfed? Yes. But, when I look at what I'm saving on cereal, freezer meals, snacks, and all the other processed junk (including "diet" stuff) I refuse to buy now, it's a wash, especially if we all are benefiting from better health and less cravings for the processed junk that has little to no nutritional value.

I only eat junk after I've met my nutritional requirements. It's not that hard to do.
  • Hornsby
    Options

How is the 90% broken down? It's not just about what is missed in the diet it's also about what is over consumed!

The American Heart Association recommends a 2g daily limit on trans fats and based on the fact that food manufacturers can add up to 0.5g in their food and still label it as zero percent it makes a difference.

Also how much of that 90% processed food has been cooked in hot polyunsaturated oil?

Sorry, I can't do that. I don't have the time or want to do so...lol. Someone else may.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Sorry, I can't do that. I don't have the time or want to do so...lol. Someone else may.

Okay - well we will have to move on from that one then!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

I don't really understand how people could claim people will live longer on a diet fad that started in the 2000's when all the research we have of the paleolithic era shows that "cavemen" had significantly shorter lifespans than even some of the most unhealthy of us now.

Of course they had shorter lifespans! They didn't have antibiotics, vaccinations, sanitation or medical science to help them with illnesses and injuries! A simple broken bone could kill a person back then because infection would set in. That's what killed King Tut! A broken leg! People had a shorter lifespan in the Middle Ages, too, for the very same reason, with the added "benefit" of marauding invading armies! Why do people always like to claim "shorter lifespan" for ancient peoples who lived in a far more dangerous world (believe it or not) than we do now? It had absolutely NOTHING to do with their diet, except in the event that food was scarce due to weather conditions.

You missed the boat on this whole discussion. Read the previous pages please. Someone above posted this link, give it a read and see the other side of the discussion.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-paleo-diet-half-baked-how-hunter-gatherer-really-eat/
  • likitisplit
    Options

Let me see...

I started my morning with oatmeal (processed) with brown sugar (processed), chopped pecans (processed), and raisins (processed). I also enjoyed a large coffee (processed) with cream (processed) , sugar (processed) and hazelnut shot (processed).

I'll let you know what have for lunch.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Med School.

Excellent! Good for him and the public.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Let me see...

I started my morning with oatmeal (processed) with brown sugar (processed), chopped pecans (processed), and raisins (processed). I also enjoyed a large coffee (processed) with cream (processed) , sugar (processed) and hazelnut shot (processed).

How are you not dead already???
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Let me see...

I'm going out on a limb but I'm guessing whatever you have it is going to be processed. Does chopping the pecans classify them as processed? lol

Actually this whole processed and non processed could be a grey area (surely by your classification washing and chopping veg makes them processed).

Okay in that case - 90% processed food - thumbs up!!!

Now 90% junk food that's a different story (and yes I include pasta and rice as junk food)!
  • Madicakes04
    Madicakes04 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I only eat junk after I've met my nutritional requirements. It's not that hard to do.

Which is great for you. I myself have no desire to eat the junk. I choose not to eat a food loaded with preservatives, sodium, sweeteners, etc. Not because of weight loss, but because of the health benefits of not eating them.

I think one of the things that people are missing is that Paleo, and other such ways of eating (which is what they are, not a diet) are not for the purpose of losing weight (as a matter of fact, on the Whole30 you are not supposed to weight yourself at all, because it is not the goal of the program, but is usually an added benefit), but for the purpose of living a healthier lifestyle. Sure, I could eat 1200 calories worth of Little Debbies, bread and frozen meals every day and lose some weight, but would that really be beneficial to me? I myself, my weight loss slows down if I eat oatmeal for breakfast instead of eggs, but that's how my body is now that I've gone through the change. So, for me, cutting out those types of things is beneficial.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Which is great for you. I myself have no desire to eat the junk. I choose not to eat a food loaded with preservatives, sodium, sweeteners, etc. Not because of weight loss, but because of the health benefits of not eating them.

So, please tell me what negative health effect a person has by eating said "junk"?
  • likitisplit
    Options

I think one of the things that people are missing is that Paleo, and other such ways of eating (which is what they are, not a diet) are not for the purpose of losing weight (as a matter of fact, on the Whole30 you are not supposed to weight yourself at all, because it is not the goal of the program, but is usually an added benefit), but for the purpose of living a healthier lifestyle. Sure, I could eat 1200 calories worth of Little Debbies, bread and frozen meals every day and lose some weight, but would that really be beneficial to me? I myself, my weight loss slows down if I eat oatmeal for breakfast instead of eggs, but that's how my body is now that I've gone through the change. So, for me, cutting out those types of things is beneficial.

Does your weight loss stall because you stop losing fat on a calorie deficit or because the glycogen that fuels muscle activity replenishes?

Hint: you are going to lose weight on a calorie deficit regardless of what you eat or don't eat.