Paleo Eating

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised by the answers here regarding the Paleo lifestyle.
    I've been Paleo for seven months and absolutely love it.
    I don't find it restrictive at all...what's restrictive about "don't eat processed food"???
    As far as high cost goes, Paleo recipes and recommendations often tell us to purchase organic meats and produce, however, that's not really necessary. The reality is, you should purchase high quality meats and produce which doesn't necessarily mean organic. Buy lean meats, even if it means having to ask your grocery store butcher to grind a steak into hamburger. But you don't *have* to eat organic, exotic, or free range anything. You should get your produce at a farmer's market because it's not covered in pesticides but, again, that's a recommendation, not a requirement.
    I can't afford all organic groceries, feeding a family of four, two of which are growing almost-teens. But I can buy local produce, lean meats, and have money for some organic items.
    Figure it this way, if I'm not buying two boxes of cereal, two boxes of crackers, two boxes of granola bars each week, I can convert all that saved money to a "splurge" on a pound of organic apples, a pound of organic strawberries, and a pound of organic grapes.

Paleo isn't a "diet" for me. It's our new lifestyle. This is how we will always eat, whether we're trying to lose weight or just to maintain "feel good" bodies.

I don't have headaches, I sleep solidly at night, my son's eczema has cleared up for the first time in his life, my skin is clear, my back doesn't ache, my PCOS has done a 180...I could go on and on.

I think if you follow the plan correctly and don't shrug it off as "too" anything, anyone could find benefits in it.

Hope whatever you decide to do helps you to be healthier and happier!

Grass fed beef is expensive. I do not follow eating trends, ever, but if one is going to tout eating "Paleo" then one is supposed to eat grass fed beef, a la Paleolithic times when cattle or buffalo or what-have-you ate grass and not corn, which cattle eat now.

Organic is expensive too. It's great on paper but in reality it costs to much jsut to be able to say "hey, I'm Paleo."

I am currently doing the Whole30 elimination, and plan on taking on a Paleo/Primal way of eating when done. I buy grassfed meat, when available and buy my family milk from grassfed cows, which I have been doing before I started the Whole30. I also purchase what produce I can from local farmers, who may not be certified organice, but follow the organic way of farming. I do this for the health of myself and my family...not so that I can say "hey, I'm Paleo"....because I'm not. I care about my family and myself and have made the choice to stop feeding them chemicals and laboratory produced "foods". I made the choice that if we are putting something in our bodies it will be for nutrition and flavor, not for empty calories and preservatives designed to make us crave more and more of those things. I made the choice to stop feeding them meat that has less nutritional value, and a greater chance of being tainted, due to the living conditions of the animals themselves. Is it more expensive to buy organic or grassfed? Yes. But, when I look at what I'm saving on cereal, freezer meals, snacks, and all the other processed junk (including "diet" stuff) I refuse to buy now, it's a wash, especially if we all are benefiting from better health and less cravings for the processed junk that has little to no nutritional value.

I only eat junk after I've met my nutritional requirements. It's not that hard to do.

Which is great for you. I myself have no desire to eat the junk. I choose not to eat a food loaded with preservatives, sodium, sweeteners, etc. Not because of weight loss, but because of the health benefits of not eating them.

So, please tell me what negative health effect a person has by eating said "junk"?

If it's limited amount of that persons daily calorie intake, eaten after micros and protein are met then - none!

Unless they choke to death on it!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I don't find it restrictive at all...what's restrictive about "don't eat processed food"???
    As far as high cost goes, Paleo recipes and recommendations often tell us to purchase organic meats and produce, however, that's not really necessary. The reality is, you should purchase high quality meats and produce which doesn't necessarily mean organic. Buy lean meats, even if it means having to ask your grocery store butcher to grind a steak into hamburger. But you don't *have* to eat organic, exotic, or free range anything. You should get your produce at a farmer's market because it's not covered in pesticides but, again, that's a recommendation, not a requirement.
    I can't afford all organic groceries, feeding a family of four, two of which are growing almost-teens. But I can buy local produce, lean meats, and have money for some organic items.
    Figure it this way, if I'm not buying two boxes of cereal, two boxes of crackers, two boxes of granola bars each week, I can convert all that saved money to a "splurge" on a pound of organic apples, a pound of organic strawberries, and a pound of organic grapes.

Paleo isn't a "diet" for me. It's our new lifestyle. This is how we will always eat, whether we're trying to lose weight or just to maintain "feel good" bodies.

I don't have headaches, I sleep solidly at night, my son's eczema has cleared up for the first time in his life, my skin is clear, my back doesn't ache, my PCOS has done a 180...I could go on and on.

I think if you follow the plan correctly and don't shrug it off as "too" anything, anyone could find benefits in it.

Grass fed beef is expensive. I do not follow eating trends, ever, but if one is going to tout eating "Paleo" then one is supposed to eat grass fed beef, a la Paleolithic times when cattle or buffalo or what-have-you ate grass and not corn, which cattle eat now.

Organic is expensive too. It's great on paper but in reality it costs to much jsut to be able to say "hey, I'm Paleo."

I am currently doing the Whole30 elimination, and plan on taking on a Paleo/Primal way of eating when done. I buy grassfed meat, when available and buy my family milk from grassfed cows, which I have been doing before I started the Whole30. I also purchase what produce I can from local farmers, who may not be certified organice, but follow the organic way of farming. I do this for the health of myself and my family...not so that I can say "hey, I'm Paleo"....because I'm not. I care about my family and myself and have made the choice to stop feeding them chemicals and laboratory produced "foods". I made the choice that if we are putting something in our bodies it will be for nutrition and flavor, not for empty calories and preservatives designed to make us crave more and more of those things. I made the choice to stop feeding them meat that has less nutritional value, and a greater chance of being tainted, due to the living conditions of the animals themselves. Is it more expensive to buy organic or grassfed? Yes. But, when I look at what I'm saving on cereal, freezer meals, snacks, and all the other processed junk (including "diet" stuff) I refuse to buy now, it's a wash, especially if we all are benefiting from better health and less cravings for the processed junk that has little to no nutritional value.

I only eat junk after I've met my nutritional requirements. It's not that hard to do.

Which is great for you. I myself have no desire to eat the junk. I choose not to eat a food loaded with preservatives, sodium, sweeteners, etc. Not because of weight loss, but because of the health benefits of not eating them.

So, please tell me what negative health effect a person has by eating said "junk"?

If it's limited amount of that persons daily calorie intake, eaten after micros and protein are met then - none!

Yea, but you get it. Some don't it seems.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Yea, but you get it. Some don't it seems.

Psshh newbies!
  • bregrig
    bregrig Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I tried it for 3 weeks, and while it did make me more aware of all of the processed food I had been eating and didn't need for energy etc, it was too hard for me to eliminate oats, beans, and peanuts. But I heard it does help with digestive problems and clearing up skin! My sister-in-law has celiac's disease and she went paleo and she felt awesome and didn't feel gassy or bloated or anything like she had before. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Madicakes04
    Madicakes04 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Let me see...

I started my morning with oatmeal (processed) with brown sugar (processed), chopped pecans (processed), and raisins (processed). I also enjoyed a large coffee (processed) with cream (processed) , sugar (processed) and hazelnut shot (processed).

I'll let you know what have for lunch.
    [/quote]

This is what drives me nuts....of course in this day and age you are going to eat "processed" food, whether Paleo or not. Unless you're a farmer who grows/raises everything you eat and does all of the butchering, etc, yourself, you are eating processed food. I think everyone has enough common sense to know that what is meant by processed, in this discussion, is the chemical/sodum/sugar laden food that is abundantly available, like chips, cookies, freezer meals, and many other forms of convenience foods. Of course our meat, nuts, raisins, coffee, etc are processed, because we don't do it ourselves. There is a big difference between processed chopped pecans and processed oreos. For example, tuna in a can....something healthy for you, full of good for you stuff, so why do they feel the need to add vegetable broth (which has lord knows what chemicals and additives) and soy to it? Why can't we just get tuna in a can with water or olive oil?? Thankfully some companies do that, but the majority of them add stuff. Dates is another example...they are super sweet on their own, so why does the bag I bought the other day have sugar added??? It's unnecessary and unhealthy.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    "Paleo is restrictive" translation : " I HAVE TO COOK ALL MY FOOD MYSELF !?!?!!!????"

I like it, it hard to stick to but the results are very noticeable, weightloss, digestion, ect.

practical paleo by Diane Sanfilippo is a very good starter read for anyone interested. Half the book is very easy recipes.

Can I cook quinoa? No. Can I cook beans? No. Can I cook anything with cheese? No.

This is a restrictive diet. It's a low-carb diet masked by "cavemen ate this way!" so people think it's "the way everyone should eat" and it becomes borderline obsessive/dogma. Blah blah blah almond milk is okay but not cow's milk. Cavemen didn't have access to enough almonds to make milk and they sure as hell didn't have blenders. Cavemen were also not advanced enough to figure out how to farm or how to milk other animals. That's why they didn't drink milk, that's why they didn't eat grains.

It's a hypocritical lifestyle full of people who are always like "I do paleo, but my *own* version of it..." So okay, no one can really follow paleo 100%, so why even say you're doing paleo? To be super kewl? :noway:

My digestion, skin, hair all are better too, but it's just from losing weight and I eat everything in moderation.

Me too.
    If someone is experiencing some kind of difficulties or if eating a certain way fits his or her lifestyle and he or she finds it beneficial, that's great.
    But the whole "it's better because cavemen" is just crap.

While ancient people didn't have Little Debbie snacks, they didn't have antibiotics, either. Too much of either one isn't a good thing.

No but they did have bone broth! just saying.

Arguments against the diet because of its 'spurious' suggested origins is a bit weak.

There is no denying that the diet ticks are the boxes for nutrition and leaves nothing of any relevance out.

Unless anyone can suggest anything it has left out?

I make fun of the "caveman" aspect, because it's silly as hell but that really isn't my issue with the diet. I think it's lame because no one can follow the actual diet without making some kind of adjustment because it is so unsustainable and restrictive. So why even say you're doing it, if everyone is doing it differently? It's a fad, a label like "clean eating" that makes no sense and means something different to everyone.

People make adjustments for two reason:

1. we live in the real world!
    2. we are adults and have freedom of choice!

These are the very same reasons you are allowed to not follow the diet!

Wow, don't we live in a great world.

Because where do the adjustments stop? I guess everyone can say they eat Paleo but with adjustments.

Yes you're right. But if everyone wants to do that what does it matter? It doesn't affect you, it doesn't affect me.

There's too many things in this world incorrectly named to worry about them and let them stress you out.

At least with Paleo, its healthy.

In fact as far as strict paleo goes the only thing I personally feel they avoid and which detracts from an optimal diet is saturated fat!

During my full year of strict paleo (2012), I was certainly not short on saturated fat. Or are you saying that strict paleo results in *too much* fat?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Let me see...

I started my morning with oatmeal (processed) with brown sugar (processed), chopped pecans (processed), and raisins (processed). I also enjoyed a large coffee (processed) with cream (processed) , sugar (processed) and hazelnut shot (processed).

This is what drives me nuts....of course in this day and age you are going to eat "processed" food, whether Paleo or not. Unless you're a farmer who grows/raises everything you eat and does all of the butchering, etc, yourself, you are eating processed food. I think everyone has enough common sense to know that what is meant by processed, in this discussion, is the chemical/sodum/sugar laden food that is abundantly available, like chips, cookies, freezer meals, and many other forms of convenience foods. Of course our meat, nuts, raisins, coffee, etc are processed, because we don't do it ourselves. There is a big difference between processed chopped pecans and processed oreos. For example, tuna in a can....something healthy for you, full of good for you stuff, so why do they feel the need to add vegetable broth (which has lord knows what chemicals and additives) and soy to it? Why can't we just get tuna in a can with water or olive oil?? Thankfully some companies do that, but the majority of them add stuff. Dates is another example...they are super sweet on their own, so why does the bag I bought the other day have sugar added??? It's unnecessary and unhealthy.

So, if I take the same sugar, nuts, raisins and oatmeal I used for breakfast and turn it into a cookie, I've now processed it to the point of it being "bad for me"?

Edited to fix quotes and also to add - I run. I need carbs. Added sugar is not unhealthy for me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I make fun of the "caveman" aspect, because it's silly as hell but that really isn't my issue with the diet. I think it's lame because no one can follow the actual diet without making some kind of adjustment because it is so unsustainable and restrictive. So why even say you're doing it, if everyone is doing it differently? It's a fad, a label like "clean eating" that makes no sense and means something different to everyone.

Wait. Doesn't clean eating just mean eating whole foods and leaving the fast food and junk food alone? What the heck is wrong with that?

This thread is going to turn into a *kitten* storm.

There is no clear definition to clean eating. People say it means "no processed foods" and then eat yogurt or almond milk, which are both processed food. Why not just eat what you want in moderation? At the macro level there is no difference between processed and unprocessed foods.

But the macro level doesn't account for health.

There's a difference at the micro level - which does account for health.

The thing is not everyone follows diets like these for simple weight loss alone. You can loss weight eating anything in a calorie deficit!

Why is eating processed foods, like yogurt and almond milk and dark chocolate, worse for your health than not eating those foods? For that matter, why is eating peas or lentils--which might not even be processed, I grow peas in my garden--bad for your health? Vegetarians and vegans would likely argue that eating more beans and less meat is "cleaner" and better for your health.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    "Paleo is restrictive" translation : " I HAVE TO COOK ALL MY FOOD MYSELF !?!?!!!????"

I like it, it hard to stick to but the results are very noticeable, weightloss, digestion, ect.

practical paleo by Diane Sanfilippo is a very good starter read for anyone interested. Half the book is very easy recipes.

Can I cook quinoa? No. Can I cook beans? No. Can I cook anything with cheese? No.

This is a restrictive diet. It's a low-carb diet masked by "cavemen ate this way!" so people think it's "the way everyone should eat" and it becomes borderline obsessive/dogma. Blah blah blah almond milk is okay but not cow's milk. Cavemen didn't have access to enough almonds to make milk and they sure as hell didn't have blenders. Cavemen were also not advanced enough to figure out how to farm or how to milk other animals. That's why they didn't drink milk, that's why they didn't eat grains.

It's a hypocritical lifestyle full of people who are always like "I do paleo, but my *own* version of it..." So okay, no one can really follow paleo 100%, so why even say you're doing paleo? To be super kewl? :noway:

My digestion, skin, hair all are better too, but it's just from losing weight and I eat everything in moderation.

Me too.
    If someone is experiencing some kind of difficulties or if eating a certain way fits his or her lifestyle and he or she finds it beneficial, that's great.

While ancient people didn't have Little Debbie snacks, they didn't have antibiotics, either. Too much of either one isn't a good thing.

Arguments against the diet because of its 'spurious' suggested origins is a bit weak.

There is no denying that the diet ticks are the boxes for nutrition and leaves nothing of any relevance out.

Because where do the adjustments stop? I guess everyone can say they eat Paleo but with adjustments.

Yes you're right. But if everyone wants to do that what does it matter? It doesn't affect you, it doesn't affect me.

There's too many things in this world incorrectly named to worry about them and let them stress you out.

In fact as far as strict paleo goes the only thing I personally feel they avoid and which detracts from an optimal diet is saturated fat!

During my full year of strict paleo (2012), I was certainly not short on saturated fat. Or are you saying that strict paleo results in *too much* fat?

No my understanding (and I if I'm wrong then my bad) is that some strict paleo diets recommend eating only a limited amount of saturated fat (below moderation).
  • Madicakes04
    Madicakes04 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Well, let's see, for starters:
    Sodium, which leads to high blood pressure, edema, swelling, etc.
    Excess sugar contributes excess calories with no nutritional value, and increases fat storage, raises blood sugar levels, can lead to diabetes and higher cholesterol levels.
    Soy mimics estrogen in its make-up, which can lead, obviously, to hormonal problems, breast cancer, etc.
    Preservatives/additives chemicals which cause an increased risk of cancer. Nitrates have been linked to narrowing and stiffness of blood vessels.
    "Junk" is generally high in fat, calories, sugar, and sodium, all of which are not healthy in high amounts
    Transfats in processed foods will raise bad cholesterol and lower good cholesterol

I don't know about you, but I consider each of those negative health effects.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Me too.

No my understanding (and I if I'm wrong then my bad) is that some strict paleo diets recommend eating only a limited amount of saturated fat (below moderation).

If so, that's new...(and flies in the face of the generally accepted paleo position that the lipid hypothesis is bogus).

But I'll admit, I stopped keeping track of the latest and greatest from the paleo world early last year.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Excess sugar contributes excess calories with no nutritional value, and increases fat storage, raises blood sugar levels, can lead to diabetes and higher cholesterol levels.
    Soy mimics estrogen in its make-up, which can lead, obviously, to hormonal problems, breast cancer, etc.
    Preservatives/additives chemicals which cause an increased risk of cancer. Nitrates have been linked to narrowing and stiffness of blood vessels.
    "Junk" is generally high in fat, calories, sugar, and sodium, all of which are not healthy in high amounts
    Transfats in processed foods will raise bad cholesterol and lower good cholesterol

Egads. So much bogus in one post.

Where to begin?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Wait. Doesn't clean eating just mean eating whole foods and leaving the fast food and junk food alone? What the heck is wrong with that?

There is no clear definition to clean eating. People say it means "no processed foods" and then eat yogurt or almond milk, which are both processed food. Why not just eat what you want in moderation? At the macro level there is no difference between processed and unprocessed foods.

The thing is not everyone follows diets like these for simple weight loss alone. You can loss weight eating anything in a calorie deficit!

Why is eating processed foods, like yogurt and almond milk and dark chocolate, worse for your health than not eating those foods? For that matter, why is eating peas or lentils--which might not even be processed, I grow peas in my garden--bad for your health? Vegetarians and vegans would likely argue that eating more beans and less meat is "cleaner" and better for your health.

I don't think eating those things are bad! my point above was relating to the comment that at the macros level there is no difference between processed and unprocessed.

If I make a Sheppard's pie from scratch and compared it to a store bought processed Sheppard's pie, the likelihood is the micro nutrient levels will be different and also as I mention above in one of my other comments - what has the food been cooked in (i.e. polyunsaturated fat) is there a level of 0.5 or below of trans fats in it).

Eating a little of those things or junk in general is fine - a lot of people (and I would exclude most on MFP as they are here educating themselves) eat too much processed foods.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I'm not talking about negative effects you read in a Woman's Day magazine. I am asking for facts.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

No, the stuff about soy is unsubstantiated, and generally untrue.
    I don't have time to refute anything else.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I'm personally in favor of buying meat and produce from local farms. I do it myself, and garden to the extent I can (weird harvest so far this year, so I'm glad I'm not forced to eat only what I grow myself, plus pretty sure agriculture is one of those modern inventions!).

But I'm not sure how you are including dairy in your Whole30 or planned paleo diet.

Lots of items banned by paleo--like oats, legumes--are not only inexpensive, but neither especially processed nor bad for you. That's the question. Not why you are doing it. If you enjoy it, do it! But on what basis you are claiming the restrictions are just common sense health-based ones. Indeed, just last night I had some delicious locally-grown corn, from an organic farm. Corn is of course a paleo no, no, and well demonized by "clean eaters" in general, but in that it grows quite well where I live, so how is it more "processed" than the vegetables that you buy from local farms (many of which I probably also buy and eat).

Also, while I get that agriculture itself is just a silly modern invention by corrupt generations or some such, if one were to be really natural about it, where are you getting fruits and vegetables in winter? Perhaps you live in a different climate than I do. I'd be super bummed if all I had in the winter was the meat I could hunt and whatever root veggies and the like I could store in a cool part of my house.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Let me see...

Medicakes --- this is because you're new. This is one of the very common red herring arguments that is often presented in Paleo discussions. A few others that you'll often see in these discussions:

(1) The idea of what "clean eating" is. "Everyone has such different ideas, that the whole concept is meaningless".
    (2) Those that judge others as not being "Paleo" enough -- though it usually comes from those who don't follow any of the concepts at all. It's like they're atheists walking into a church, synagogue or mosque and telling people that they're not Christian, Jewish or Muslim enough. Because, hey, if you're not the strictest orthodox that adheres to the 100% letter of the law principles, then you can't be a Jew, Christian or Muslim.
    (3) Those that complain that they speak out against Paleo and its variations because people that follow those are just trying to be kewl or are overbearing in pushing their views on others. There is a great irony and hypocrisy there.
    (4) It's sooooo restrictive. Of course, completely ignoring that fact that EVERY diet/lifestyle is restrictive in some way or other other -- whether it's calories, macros, moderation or food groups.
    (5) Arguments about the factual basis of paleolithic man -- how since some paleolithic people ate grains, etc., the whole diet concept is bunk. Or how the average life span of ancient people's were less, the diet doesn't make much sense (of course, not accounting for sanitation, antibiotics, infant mortality, modern medicine, etc.)

It's pretty ridiculous. But apparently some people think these faux arguments are quite clever and illuminating. Very few tend to actually debate the diet claims and theories.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I don't think eating those things are bad! my point above was relating to the comment that at the macros level there is no difference between processed and unprocessed.

If I make a Sheppard's pie from scratch and compared it to a store bought processed Sheppard's pie, the likelihood is the micro nutrient levels will be different and also as I mention above in one of my other comments - what has the food been cooked in (i.e. polyunsaturated fat) is there a level of 0.5 or below of trans fats in it).

Eating a little of those things or junk in general is fine - a lot of people (and I would exclude most on MFP as they are here educating themselves) eat too much processed foods.

The problem is that people go on about "processed" foods when what they are really complaining about is something else. They should be more specific, and then it would be possible to discuss the specific claim. For example, I generally do avoid some kinds of ingredients (although I don't preach about it). I also wouldn't buy a packaged shepherd's pie, not because I've compared the ingredients (I expect some are quite different from others, and better from a macro, micro, and avoiding things you might want to avoid POV, although all are processed), but because I'm kind of a food snob and can't imagine it would taste good or be filling, compared to homemade. Would I order it at a pub, though? Quite possibly.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure you know the reason behind the lentils and peas from a Paleo/Primal perspective -- since I'm pretty sure I personally have told you several times. It's the lectins issue. Now, you may not agree with that, but to keep pretending that you don't know the reasons behind it is more than a little disingenuous.

And if you read about Primal, they're pretty big on full-fat dairy, if you can tolerate and very big on many fermented things to nurture gut health -- including yogurt. Same with dark chocolate -- good for the antioxidants with a high cocoa count, especially if you go undutched.
  • Klunker79
    Options
    I did the paleo/primal thing for about 6 months. I loved it at first but found that it was very easy to slip back into old eating habits and that eating out when it happened was a nightmare. In that respect it is very restrictive. I did however lose 60 pounds ( which I put back on rather quickly when I stopped following the diet.) I do still follow some of the ideas behind it - stay away from processed foods, keep it as natural as possible. Buy local and fresh but I also eat grains from time to time. The other thing I disliked about the paleo diet was the idea of increasing fat intake and also eating bone marrow, and organs.