Keto Diet is king for droping lbs

Options

Replies

• SheGlows
    SheGlows Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    didnt-read-lol-chicken-gif.gif
    The post was way to long. Did not read. Nothing is "the king for dropping lbs" besides a caloric deficit. If you are in ketosis and eat more calories in a day then you burn, you'll not lose weight. You can substitute any word or diet for ketosis in that last sentence and it's still true. Any time you lose weight over the long term it's because of a calorie deficit. Keto works wonders for some because it makes it easier for them to adhere to a calorie deficit. The issue is, most people struggle when transitioning out of the keto diet and gain back much if not all of what they lost. I prefer a much less restrictive form of dieting that has a much easier transition to maintenance once weight is lost.

Also, this pretty much sums it up^
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Update, here is a study done, this is the shortened version, you can use the link to read the whole study. This is a little quicker read.

Long-term effects of a ketogenic diet in obese patients

Hussein M Dashti, MD PhD FICS FACS,1 Thazhumpal C Mathew, MSc PhD FRCPath,4 Talib Hussein, MB ChB,5 Sami K Asfar, MB ChB MD FRCSEd FACS,1 Abdulla Behbahani, MB ChB FRCS FACSI PhD FICS FACS,1 Mousa A Khoursheed, MB ChB FRCS FICS,1 Hilal M Al-Sayer, MD PhD FICS FACS,1 Yousef Y Bo-Abbas, MD FRCPC,2 and Naji S Al-Zaid, BSc PhD3

BACKGROUND:

Although various studies have examined the short-term effects of a ketogenic diet in reducing weight in obese patients, its long-term effects on various physical and biochemical parameters are not known.

OBJECTIVE:

To determine the effects of a 24-week ketogenic diet (consisting of 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g/kg body weight protein, 20% saturated fat, and 80% polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat) in obese patients.

PATIENTS AND METHODS:

In the present study, 83 obese patients (39 men and 44 women) with a body mass index greater than 35 kg/m2, and high glucose and cholesterol levels were selected. The body weight, body mass index, total cholesterol, low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, triglycerides, fasting blood sugar, urea and creatinine levels were determined before and after the administration of the ketogenic diet. Changes in these parameters were monitored after eight, 16 and 24 weeks of treatment.

RESULTS:

The weight and body mass index of the patients decreased significantly (P<0.0001). The level of total cholesterol decreased from week 1 to week 24. HDL cholesterol levels significantly increased, whereas LDL cholesterol levels significantly decreased after treatment. The level of triglycerides decreased significantly following 24 weeks of treatment. The level of blood glucose significantly decreased. The changes in the level of urea and creatinine were not statistically significant.

CONCLUSIONS:

The present study shows the beneficial effects of a long-term ketogenic diet. It significantly reduced the body weight and body mass index of the patients. Furthermore, it decreased the level of triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and blood glucose, and increased the level of HDL cholesterol. Administering a ketogenic diet for a relatively longer period of time did not produce any significant side effects in the patients. Therefore, the present study confirms that it is safe to use a ketogenic diet for a longer period of time than previously demonstrated.

Keywords: Diet, Ketosis, Obesity

Obesity has become a serious chronic disease in both developing and developed countries. Furthermore, it is associated with a variety of chronic diseases (1–4). It is estimated that in the United States alone approximately 300,000 people die each year from obesity-related diseases (5,6). Different methods for reducing weight using reduced calorie and fat intake combined with exercise have failed to show sustained long-term effects (7–9). Recent studies from various laboratories (10,11), including our own (12), have shown that a high fat diet rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids (ketogenic diet) is quite effective in reducing body weight and the risk factors for various chronic diseases. The ketogenic diet was originally introduced in 1920 (13). In this diet, the fat to carbohydrate ratio is 5:1. While there was a significant decrease in the weight of obese patients who were on a ketogenic diet (12), the reverse occurred when the diet changed to one high in carbohydrates (14).

It should be noted that the concept that fat can be eaten ad libitum and still induce weight loss in obese subjects is not a recent one (13–33). Ketosis occurs as a result of the change in the body’s fuel from carbohydrate to fat. Incomplete oxidation of fatty acids by the liver results in the accumulation of ketone bodies in the body. A ketogenic diet maintains the body in a state of ketosis, which is characterized by an elevation of D-b-hydroxybutyrate and acetoacetate.

Mild ketosis is a natural phenomenon that occurs in humans during fasting and lactation (19,20). Postexercise ketosis is a well-known phenomenon in mammals. Although most of the changes in the physiological parameters induced following exercise revert back to their normal values rapidly, the level of circulating ketone bodies increases for a few hours after muscular activity ceases (21). It has been found that in trained individuals, a low blood ketone level protects against the development of hypoglycemia during prolonged intermittent exercise (22). In addition, ketosis has a significant influence on suppressing hunger. Thus, a ketogenic diet is a good regulator of the body’s calorie intake and mimics the effect of starvation in the body.

It is generally believed that high fat diets may lead to the development of obesity and several other diseases such as coronary artery disease, diabetes and cancer. This view, however, is based on studies carried out in animals that were given a high fat diet rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids. In contrast, our laboratory has recently shown that a ketogenic diet modified the risk factors for heart disease in obese patients (12).

Although various short-term studies examining the effect of a ketogenic diet in reducing the weight of obese patients have been carried out (10), its long-term effects in obese subjects are not known (15). Therefore, the purpose of the present study was to investigate the long-term effects of a ketogenic diet on obesity and obesity-associated risk factors in a large population of obese patients.

Go to:

PATIENTS AND METHODS.

Patients and biochemical analysis

The prospective study was carried out at the Academic Department of Surgery, Consultation and Training Centre, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University (Jabriya, Kuwait) in 83 obese subjects (39 men and 44 women). The body mass index (BMI) of men and women was 35.9±1.2 kg/m2 and 39.4±1.0 kg/m2, respectively. The mean age was 42.6±1.7 years and 40.6±1.6 years for men and women, respectively. The mean age, initial height, weight and BMI for all patients are given in Table 1. Fasting blood tests were carried out for all of the subjects. Initially, all patients were subjected to liver and renal function tests, and glucose and lipid profiles, using fasting blood samples, and a complete blood count. Thereafter, fasting blood samples were tested for total cholesterol, high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, triglycerides, blood sugar, urea and creatinine levels at the eighth, 16th and 24th week. In addition, weight and height measurements, and blood pressure were monitored at each visit.

TABLE 1

Patient data at baseline before treatment with the ketogenic diet

Protocol for ketogenic diet-induced body weight reduction

All 83 subjects received the ketogenic diet consisting of 20 g to 30 g of carbohydrate in the form of green vegetables and salad, and 80 g to 100 g of protein in the form of meat, fish, fowl, eggs, shellfish and cheese. Polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats were also included in the diet. Twelve weeks later, an additional 20 g of carbohydrate were added to the meal of the patients to total 40 g to 50 g of carbohydrate. Micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) were given to each subject in the form of one capsule per day (Table 2).

Conclusion - Therefore, the present study confirms that it is safe to use a ketogenic diet for a longer period of time than previously demonstrated.

So your study showed that it is safe. Not sure how that equates to being "King".

Also, in this study...did I miss how many calories the subjects were eating? Cause I didn't see it. All the other postives from the study usually happen with weight loss. All of those same markers improved for me eating whatever I wanted at a deficit.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Yes, I can post some of my pics, I am not so ripped, I am a soldier, so I am a health nut to the extreme but I have tried balenced diets, was successful at it but had more problems with the disicipline of keeping strieght on the diet, mainly do to the sugar spikes. That made me have way too many cravings, so, my friend told me to do a bodybuilding (natural) only, to see if you can actually get to -10 percent bodyfat. I will post my before and current pic now. Like I said before, I have done a diet every year, and lost appx 20-30lbs then do it all over again because I gain it back. I can post them later today.

Ahh, okay. So because you can't stick to a balanced diet and you believe you can do this one for life, everyone else should feel the same? I think I get it now.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I have to go to the dentist now, so if you all could play relatively nicely so this thread isn't nuked by the time I get back, I'll share chocolate gifs with you. :flowerforyou:
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

Conclusion - Therefore, the present study confirms that it is safe to use a ketogenic diet for a longer period of time than previously demonstrated.

So your study showed that it is safe. Not sure how that equates to being "King".

Also, in this study...did I miss how many calories the subjects were eating? Cause I didn't see it. All the other postives from the study usually happen with weight loss. All of those same markers improved for me eating whatever I wanted at a deficit.
    Quit actually reading the study and posting logical critiques about it! It's far easier to just take OP's word for it! Behavior like that just shouldn't be tolerated :)
  • itprofessional1940
    Options
    I agree, it does allow you to adhere to a deficit, but there are advantages of having a keto/low carb diet, as you can see I just posted the study that this diet is very effective, actually was recommended by my doctor for wieght loss before my upcoming PT test. Yes, I can post the results of my progress, before and after pics. I will post them later tonight.

AlHornsby, I am not saying that its just easier for me, all I am saying is that this diet is very effective, not just from me but for everyone. Actually, reason why I posted it on here is because for the obese and the few people that just want to lose some fat in a very efficient way, this diet is for them.

And I am not doing anything but trying to help others and sharing my knowledge, I just want others to see the same results I have.

Thanks,
  • DamieAnne
    DamieAnne Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Agreed.

If you're going to post a study for this, i'd like to see it with control groups. I have no doubt that it's better than overeating, but lets see it against a measured deficit too!

*Back to lurking*
  • Hornsby
    Options
    I agree, it does allow you to adhere to a deficit, but there are advantages of having a keto/low carb diet, as you can see I just posted the study that this diet is very effective, actually was recommended by my doctor for wieght loss before my upcoming PT test. Yes, I can post the results of my progress, before and after pics. I will post them later tonight.

AlHornsby, I am not saying that its just easier for me, all I am saying is that this diet is very effective, not just from me but for everyone. Actually, reason why I posted it on here is because for the obese and the few people that just want to lose some fat in a very efficient way, this diet is for them.

And I am not doing anything but trying to help others and sharing my knowledge, I just want others to see the same results I have.

Thanks,

Understand. I think the issue comes in when you call a diet the "King of dropping lbs" and then state that most athletes use it which is absolutely untrue.

No one denies that it works if you create a deficit, and if it helps you stay on your deficit, more power to you. I like carbs though. They don't give me cravings. They work great on endurance events. That combined with the fact that I went from 255lbs to 176lbs and 14-15% body fat in 9 months eating 50% carbs makes your point moot to me.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Caloric Intake

Your caloric intake will depend on what you want to do with the diet:

If you’re looking to get lean (cut), you’ll need to take your BMR = weight (lbs.) x 12 and subtract about 10%. For example, if you’re 200 lbs., your cutting BMR (CBMR) is 2400 calories (200×12) – 240 calories (10%) => your CBMR = 2160 calories. You need to eat around 2160 calories during the week to shed bodyfat.

If you want to gain mass (bulk up), you’ll need to take your BMR x 18-20. For example, if you’re 200lbs., your bulking BMR (BBMR) is weight (lbs.) x 20 = 4000 calories.

Thus, for a 200lbs. Male, the CBMR = 2160 calories and BBMR = 4000 calories.

From the OP - so you just count calories??? With a seriously restricted diet??

seems like it would work, you know since you are eating fewer calories, although the math to figure those calories out seems a little wonky, and erroneous. ETA - for the average person

I'll stick to what works for me.

But I agree with you Counting Calories is the "KING" of all diets for droping lbs - it's the only way to drop lbs.

Thanks for coming out!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Agreed.

If you're going to post a study for this, i'd like to see it with control groups. I have no doubt that it's better than overeating, but lets see it against a measured deficit too!

*Back to lurking*
    Here is keto vs a non-keto diet. the conclusion sums up how I feel about keto diets.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16685046
  • Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    There is only one best diet - but for each of us it is different. Of course we long term gain weight when we eat more than we expend and lose weight when we do the reverse - for some it comes on and off fast - for others it takes some time.

When it comes to a specific balance of carbs, fats and protein - as long as you are getting your base nutrients, the make-up can very by person. I am much more carb sensitive than my wife - much much more protein dependent. I can easily keep carbs down to about 40g per day and focus on lean proteins and healthy oils. No bread cravings, no sugar cravings, etc... A poached egg on a bed of smoked salmon is the perfect breakfast for me.

For those of you that process carbs more effectively than I do - god bless. I'd hate to be on my diet and have severe carb withdrawal - especially after one time I was on a stupid diet that restricted my protein and it made me miserable.

Feeling good, being healthy is all that is important. Keep your calories consistent with your output and have the vital nutrients and you don't need to read any diet book.
  • DamieAnne
    DamieAnne Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Agreed.

*Back to lurking*
    Here is keto vs a non-keto diet. the conclusion sums up how I feel about keto diets.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16685046

Thanks for that! If someone took my carbs away from me I would be suffering emotional effects too!
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Tried Keto once and was constipated for almost a week. Had to take laxatives. Not a good diet for me......
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    While it is true many or all "diets" work as long as there is a calorie deficit to the overall amount of calories burned during the day, what people fail to explain is, depending on the macro ration you are eating, you will lose weight but that weight loss could be coming from body fat AND muscle.

While many here have achieved a GREAT weight loss using different methods, diets, or plans, claiming what they have done is the most efficient way of doing things is total BS. There is a factor people are forgetting and that is the mental factor, which is one of the most important ones. Not only the mental/emotional factor could have been the reason the person gained weight in the first place, but also would be the main reason why they will be unable to lose weight. As hard as proper weight loss can be for most people, it doesn't have to be a torture to anyone by prohibiting a person to eat, which is an essential part to keep us alive and healthy. Not everyone can handle the same way a low carbs diet, which for most will be a reason to be cranky most of the time. Ask professional bodybuilders and fitness athletes about their moods when they are on a low carbs phase in preparation to their competitions.

My advice is always to keep a balance, a healthy balance that is. Carbs are as important as proteins and fats. You cannot build muscle just by eating protein; you will also need carbs. There is a reason why carbs are important. Unfortunately, people are just too damn lazy to READ and EDUCATE themselves always complaining if a post is too long. Everybody wants simplified solutions and methods. No one wants to read, whether is to learn something new or to at least have a complete base to argue or discuss whether the topic in matter is accurate or not.

Besides, just because whatever it is that you did has worked for you, that doesn't make you an expert in fitness matters. And asking for references and sources won't make your method any better. Even doctors, or so called professionals, make mistakes and don't know it all, so those who don't have any type of degree on fitness or nutrition won't make me think any different.

So, my advice to anyone who is willing to try ANY of the hundreds, if not thousands of weight loss methods out there, before trying it, do your research, look up reviews, pros, cons, and try to get a basic idea of anatomy and physiology so you can use your analytical thinking whether it could be healthy or not to try it out, instead of letting your desire to lose weight try something you might end up regretting.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    I used keto to drop my BF% from 34.5% to 16% in six months. Added ton of muscle mass as measured by body scan.First four weeks were tough with all the cravings and lack of energy with my body adapting to new life style. It was by far the best result i had when it came to losing weight but most people give up too soon in first 4 weeks with out letting body adjust.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Stopped reading as soon as you said the weight loss doctor you consulted warned about "starvation mode".
    Same here, and it started off pretty preachy too.

By the way, OP, there is no magic in the keto diet, or any other diet. The true magic is in the calorie deficit when eating a plan that works for you.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Stopped reading as soon as you said the weight loss doctor you consulted warned about "starvation mode".
    Same here, and it started off pretty preachy too.

By the way, OP, there is no magic in the keto diet, or any other diet. The true magic is in the calorie deficit when eating a plan that works for you.

in... for magical kings of 'droping'
    shia-labeouf-magic-gif.gif
  • mnercesian
    Options
    I am not pro or anti any diet.

I will say that there is one thing that is missing here and it is important.

Any change, (and that is what ketosis is) requires certain factors to be present in order to maintain a consistent chemical reaction. To put this in the simplest form that I can – any diet that does not even mention the amount of water, or for that matter, even mention the word water as part of the post, might as well be discounted from the onset.

Next time someone posts a diet, their understanding of the biochemistry, or molecular chemistry is moot. Was there a double-blind conducted? Moot. Is it a treatment for obesity or designed to enhance an athlete’s performance? Moot.

All you have to do is ctrl-f, type “water”, if you see “no matches” then you can always, and immediately discount whatever proceeds from hence forth.

If the word water is present then you may proceed….with caution.

I don’t mean to be rude, but to make a sweeping statement, such as “most athletes in natural body building” is a fallacy argument, and thus it becomes just opinion. Your opinion. How was this conclusion reached? Was there a natural body building survey that I missed? I didn't even know there was a meeting or that you had been elected spokes person.

Without even discussing the amount of water that is required per lb. of muscle versus fat in relation to overall mass is bad science. This opinion piece is bad science. Sad thing is that someone might read this and get the idea to try it.

I know you said you would “get alot [sic] of negative feedback” and that you would also notice alot [sic] of “wieght loss [sic].” I have no idea how much “alot” is or what “wieghtloss” [sic] is. However, there were a lot of errors and I don’t see how that makes for a valid post.

Feed not fead.
    Fat loss or Fat-loss not fatloss.
    Approx. not appx.
    Weight loss or weight-loss not weightloss.
    Consistent not consistant.
    Protein not Protien.
    Sunday not sunday.
    Amongst not amonst.
    It’s or it is not its.

Positive --- you seem to have a grasp on affect versus effect.