How to do Curls in the Squat Rack

Options
http://www.livestrong.com/article/172520-how-to-do-curls-in-a-squat-rack/
If you use free weights, you're probably familiar with arm curl exercises, which you can do with either dumbbells or a barbell. Some gyms have barbells set aside specifically for this purpose, but in others, you may have to use the barbell that's currently resting on the squat rack. The advantage to using the squat rack barbell is that it's already elevated, meaning you won't have to lift the barbell off the floor and risk hurting your back.

:noway:

Replies

• Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    They misspelled "how to piss off people who want to do squats."
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

OMG the "bro-hump of safety"!
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Are you f***ing serious

(I get that the 2nd one is an april fools joke)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzxRhtZLItY

10 Machines You Didn't Know Were Bicep Machines - BroScienceLife

NSFW (a few f-bombs)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Are you f***ing serious

(I get that the 2nd one is an april fools joke)

I know. I died. I had to share!!!
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I saw the Live Strong article before and if I remember correctly they doubled down on stupid and wrote a second article about the same thing. As of there wasn't already enough reason to ignore their 'advice'
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Seriously? I mean, I knew Livestrong was just a click farm, but I thought they had some shred of integrity left...
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already been lifting weights, doing curls with the bar might be too much weight for you. Instead, you may have to do bicep curls with dumbbells until you get strong enough to lift that barbell.

Finally, someone gets it. If you're going to curl in the squat rack, at least do yourself a favor and do your curls with dumbbells seated on a bunch. Light weight, high reps, and lots of sets is the key - don't be afraid to spend at least 45 minutes trashing your biceps.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    If you haven't already been lifting weights, doing curls with the bar might be too much weight for you. Instead, you may have to do bicep curls with dumbbells until you get strong enough to lift that barbell.

Finally, someone gets it. If you're going to curl in the squat rack, at least do yourself a favor and do your curls with dumbbells seated on a bunch. Light weight, high reps, and lots of sets is the key - don't be afraid to spend at least 45 minutes trashing your biceps.

I know. EVERY piece of advice in that article is hilarious.

*additional note* if you can't squat or deadlift the weight you are planning on curling off the floor without hurting your back....actually I really can't figure out how to end this sentence, so never mind.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Are the people that like to act like they know what it's like to be held up by someone curling in the squat rack the same people that bench press the bar for 3 sets of 5 over an hour time frame on one of the gym's two benches?
  • caseypcarlin
    caseypcarlin Posts: 40 Member
    Options

^This
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Are the people that like to act like they know what it's like to be held up by someone curling in the squat rack the same people that bench press the bar for 3 sets of 5 over an hour time frame on one of the gym's two benches?

I'm sure livestrong has an article about that as well.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

No esp 3x5 that takes over an hour really???? wow...

Mind you if I was a member of a gym I would be benching with safety in the rack but it wouldn't take me an hour...15mins maybe.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    If you are going really heavy, it can take substantial time to recover. However, if you rest for 15 minutes or so, you'll need to warm up again. Also, you'd be open to letting other people work in or you are a complete douche.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I despair, actually encouraging this crap??!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzxRhtZLItY

10 Machines You Didn't Know Were Bicep Machines - BroScienceLife

NSFW (a few f-bombs)

I loved that video- he is fantastic.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

LMAO

This!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Cracking me up over here.

"what's the point of curling if you can't see the pump?"

I've always been more annoyed by shrugging in the squat rack, because it seems to be a more common occurrence (and done by guys who have never heard of leg day) but it's NBD. I'm just like "oh hey bro, how many sets do you have left? I need to use this for its intended purpose" and they are like "wut" and I'm like "never mind, holler at yo boo" and they are like "okay."

JK I don't say any of that, I just do something else til the rack is free. I am the only girl lifting for serious at that time and I don't want to be annoying.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Cracking me up over here.

"what's the point of curling if you can't see the pump?"

I've always been more annoyed by shrugging in the squat rack, because it seems to be a more common occurrence (and done by guys who have never heard of leg day) but it's NBD. I'm just like "oh hey bro, how many sets do you have left? I need to use this for its intended purpose" and they are like "wut" and I'm like "never mind, holler at yo boo" and they are like "okay."

JK I don't say any of that, I just do something else til the rack is free. I am the only girl lifting for serious at that time and I don't want to be annoying.

You should totally have that conversation.