Options
    image.png

curl-in-the-squat-rack.jpg
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    They misspelled "how to piss off people who want to do squats."

^This

Ditto. One of the main reasons I left my last gym. Only two squat racks and the bros would corner them for hours doing shoulder shrugs.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I was hoping for a gif of a hit girl with curly hair doing some squats.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Cracking me up over here.

"what's the point of curling if you can't see the pump?"

I've always been more annoyed by shrugging in the squat rack, because it seems to be a more common occurrence (and done by guys who have never heard of leg day) but it's NBD. I'm just like "oh hey bro, how many sets do you have left? I need to use this for its intended purpose" and they are like "wut" and I'm like "never mind, holler at yo boo" and they are like "okay."

JK I don't say any of that, I just do something else til the rack is free. I am the only girl lifting for serious at that time and I don't want to be annoying.

Where would you suggest he do his shrugs?

He should probably trade out some of his shrugs for squats.

If you're shrugging 225 but your legs are the same size as my forearms, you maybe should do less shrugs and more calf raises or something JMHO

But it's okay man, I shrug in the squat rack now, too. Because if you can't beat em, join em. You can't roll with the big dogs, then stay on the porch.

Also, I'm sure you know all about this as a pro-lifter, but not all people have low placed calves. Many men struggle to build up their calves despite being able to squat plenty of weight. Supposedly Arnold himself had such issues, so when he finally did blow up his calves many suspected implants. Again, I assume you know that, though.

Also, he would probably do calf raises in the squat rack, as well, so that's probably not the best workout suggestion coach.

Why don't you go back to trolling that eating disorder thread?

Oh wait, you got it deleted because of all your butthurt.

So you're telling me to stay?

You're pretty funny, honestly. I don't know why you're so mad about how other people feel about what you do with gym equipment, but w/e. I said I would just let you curl/shrug til you're done and then take my turn.

Then you said i went to PF and I was like :sad: he's so mean

"I don't know why you're so mad about how other people feel about what you do with gym equipment, but w/e."

You don't handle being called out on your shenanigans very well, do you?

Maybe as a novice lifter you should worry less about what others are doing in the gym, be it shrugs, curls in the squat rack, or whatever else and worry more about your progress.

For the record I do neither, but the shrug is a valid workout. Yes, you could do it with dumbbells but I could make the same argument for a 140 lb squatter taking up a rack.

No you can't. Because it's called a "squat rack" not a "shrug rack"

I can squat 3 lbs in there and I'm still using it for its intended purpose.

You're just going in circles with me, but the bottom line is you don't like my opinion so you're making it your business.

Let's review: you are mad that I think I can dictate how people use gym equipment so you are making fun of the fact that I *only* squat 90% of my bodyweight? lol

People like you are the reason that I am the only woman lifting in my gym.

I don't like being deeply involved in thread derailing quote in a quote fights, so bye.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

I've always been more annoyed by shrugging in the squat rack, because it seems to be a more common occurrence (and done by guys who have never heard of leg day) but it's NBD. I'm just like "oh hey bro, how many sets do you have left? I need to use this for its intended purpose" and they are like "wut" and I'm like "never mind, holler at yo boo" and they are like "okay."

JK I don't say any of that, I just do something else til the rack is free. I am the only girl lifting for serious at that time and I don't want to be annoying.

If you're shrugging 225 but your legs are the same size as my forearms, you maybe should do less shrugs and more calf raises or something JMHO

But it's okay man, I shrug in the squat rack now, too. Because if you can't beat em, join em. You can't roll with the big dogs, then stay on the porch.

Also, I'm sure you know all about this as a pro-lifter, but not all people have low placed calves. Many men struggle to build up their calves despite being able to squat plenty of weight. Supposedly Arnold himself had such issues, so when he finally did blow up his calves many suspected implants. Again, I assume you know that, though.

Also, he would probably do calf raises in the squat rack, as well, so that's probably not the best workout suggestion coach.

You're pretty funny, honestly. I don't know why you're so mad about how other people feel about what you do with gym equipment, but w/e. I said I would just let you curl/shrug til you're done and then take my turn.

"I don't know why you're so mad about how other people feel about what you do with gym equipment, but w/e."

Maybe as a novice lifter you should worry less about what others are doing in the gym, be it shrugs, curls in the squat rack, or whatever else and worry more about your progress.

For the record I do neither, but the shrug is a valid workout. Yes, you could do it with dumbbells but I could make the same argument for a 140 lb squatter taking up a rack.

Dude, the article not only teaches people who probably should start with 5 pound dumb bells how to curl in the squat rack, it recommends that you aim for 15 reps and that lifting the weight off the floor might hurt your back.

If you have good reasons for curling in the squat rack, have at it, but the article is mock-worthy.

However, it looks like there might be personal history here, so I'll just sit over there until one of you rage-quits.

"Dude, the article not only teaches people who probably should start with 5 pound dumb bells how to curl in the squat rack, it recommends that you aim for 15 reps and that lifting the weight off the floor might hurt your back."

Again, new lifters should worry less about what others are doing. If you want to blow out your muscles and tendons, go ahead and do your 5x5 80% of your 1RM on curls. And generally, an Olympic bar with plates less than standard 45lb is not at a proper height to lift with proper form.
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,159 Member
    Options

^This. Nothing can be more annoying than this. If you do that, then it is called f**kingsarounditis!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    The advantage to using the squat rack barbell is that it's already elevated, meaning you won't have to lift the barbell off the floor
    Exactly why I do curls in the squat rack.

(Ok, I do have my own weights setup.)

Me too :drinker:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Dude, the article not only teaches people who probably should start with 5 pound dumb bells how to curl in the squat rack, it recommends that you aim for 15 reps and that lifting the weight off the floor might hurt your back.

If you have good reasons for curling in the squat rack, have at it, but the article is mock-worthy.

However, it looks like there might be personal history here, so I'll just sit over there until one of you rage-quits.

"Dude, the article not only teaches people who probably should start with 5 pound dumb bells how to curl in the squat rack, it recommends that you aim for 15 reps and that lifting the weight off the floor might hurt your back."

Again, new lifters should worry less about what others are doing. If you want to blow out your muscles and tendons, go ahead and do your 5x5 80% of your 1RM on curls. And generally, an Olympic bar with plates less than standard 45lb is not at a proper height to lift with proper form.

I do body weight, at home.

Except, of course, when I'm doing Australian pulls on the Smith machine at my work gym. :flowerforyou:
  • LazSommer
    Options

No you can't. Because it's called a "squat rack" not a "shrug rack"

I can squat 3 lbs in there and I'm still using it for its intended purpose.

You're just going in circles with me, but the bottom line is you don't like my opinion so you're making it your business.

Let's review: you are mad that I think I can dictate how people use gym equipment so you are making fun of the fact that I *only* squat 90% of my bodyweight? lol

People like you are the reason that I am the only woman lifting in my gym.

I don't like being deeply involved in thread derailing quote in a quote fights, so bye.

Come on, the quote length might eventually crash the browser. You know you want to.

People like me are not the reason you are the only woman lifting in your gym. You are the one judging those for using a piece of equipment for its intended use. A squat rack is not designed just for squats, and to say as much just to try to taper off your poor argument is silly.

You should spend more time learning about lifting instead of visiting MFP forums, you may learn something of use.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

actually any lifter should worry less about what others are doing...just sayin' *cough like now cough*
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    The advantage to using the squat rack barbell is that it's already elevated, meaning you won't have to lift the barbell off the floor
    Exactly why I do curls in the squat rack.

(Ok, I do have my own weights setup.)

Me too :drinker:

Me Three :drinker: I do what I want with whatever equipment I want..:devil:
  • LazSommer
    Options

Except, of course, when I'm doing Australian pulls on the Smith machine at my work gym. :flowerforyou:

So then you're not using the squat rack - might as well curl in it.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    I totally need to get some sleep... read the thread title as "How to do Curtis in the Squat Rack"....!
  • LazSommer
    Options

actually any lifter should worry less about what others are doing...just sayin' *cough like now cough*

That's the entire point of my rebuttal, but nice try.
  • SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Exactly!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Be my guest. I just thought the article was amusing.
  • LazSommer
    Options

Are we friends now?
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I had two idiots walk up behind me while I was doing squats this morning, one sat on the decline bench behind me, the other leaning against the smith machine. I continued with my routine, did another set and added some plates, at this point my blood is boiling because there is a completely empty squat rack next to me and by the look of their delts or lack there of they weren't waiting to do standing overhead presses. So I turn around and ask them what they could possibly be waiting for, these two idiots replied with " Oh we need to do pull ups" I actually laughed at them, and said you know what, ill just use the squat rack so you two can safely do pull ups in the power rack. After setting everything up they are walking away and commented "that's all we needed to do, was one set". This is when I said "I here you, but to stand behind someone squatting heavy in the power rack to do ****ing pull ups when there are 50 things in the gym you can do pull ups on is ridiculous" they did not respond and walked away. Later while doing leg extensions, here come these two idiots again. They actually walked past 3 completely empty cable pulleys, to rudely interrupt a gentleman doing tricep pull downs with a straight bar, he just walked away and did it on one of the other cables. These idiots actually walked to another cable pulley to remove the triangle to use on the one they high jacked. Now here's the thing, usually when there are two people together, worst case scenario, one is a selfish ignorant waste of air, and the other would kind of guide them away from their stupid decisions to inconvenience others with their existence, but how in the hell did two ignorant, selfish, wastes of life find each other and decide they need to work out at 4 am? Needless to say, they will not interrupt me again, but this planet would be better off without them and that is not an exaggeration.
  • LazSommer
    Options

Are we friends now?

Actually, I know the answer.

Friend request sent.
  • LazSommer
    Options
    I had two idiots walk up behind me while I was doing squats this morning, one sat on the decline bench behind me, the other leaning against the smith machine. I continued with my routine, did another set and added some plates, at this point my blood is boiling because there is a completely empty squat rack next to me and by the look of their delts or lack there of they weren't waiting to do standing overhead presses. So I turn around and ask them what they could possibly be waiting for, these two idiots replied with " Oh we need to do pull ups" I actually laughed at them, and said you know what, ill just use the squat rack so you two can safely do pull ups in the power rack. After setting everything up they are walking away and commented "that's all we needed to do, was one set". This is when I said "I here you, but to stand behind someone squatting heavy in the power rack to do ****ing pull ups when there are 50 things in the gym you can do pull ups on is ridiculous" they did not respond and walked away. Later while doing leg extensions, here come these two idiots again. They actually walked past 3 completely empty cable pulleys, to rudely interrupt a gentleman doing tricep pull downs with a straight bar, he just walked away and did it on one of the other cables. These idiots actually walked to another cable pulley to remove the triangle to use on the one they high jacked. Now here's the thing, usually when there are two people together, worst case scenario, one is a selfish ignorant waste of air, and the other would kind of guide them away from their stupid decisions to inconvenience others with their existence, but how in the hell did two ignorant, selfish, wastes of life find each other and decide they need to work out at 4 am? Needless to say, they will not interrupt me again, but this planet would be better off without them and that is not an exaggeration.

Headphones do wonders.