How to do Curls in the Squat Rack

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    in all fairness, the post does seem to imply that this is to be done when the barbell in the squat rack is the only one in the gym. at least you have squat racks... and barbells lol
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    The only appropriate reply I could think of...this pic makes me laugh every time :laugh: :laugh:

tumblr_miu5uxCoo31rc3r29o1_500.jpg
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member

Cracking me up over here.

"what's the point of curling if you can't see the pump?"

I've always been more annoyed by shrugging in the squat rack, because it seems to be a more common occurrence (and done by guys who have never heard of leg day) but it's NBD. I'm just like "oh hey bro, how many sets do you have left? I need to use this for its intended purpose" and they are like "wut" and I'm like "never mind, holler at yo boo" and they are like "okay."

JK I don't say any of that, I just do something else til the rack is free. I am the only girl lifting for serious at that time and I don't want to be annoying.

Where would you suggest he do his shrugs?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    OHNOES!!! i might have to wait 6 mins before i can do my squats! what ever will i do???
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    This thread is epic. Thanks for sharing :laugh:
  • LazSommer
    OHNOES!!! i might have to wait 6 mins before i can do my squats! what ever will i do???

Maybe if you were a HEAVY LIFTER you would understand that your SUPER HEAVY SQUATS take precedence over everyone else's exercises.

It's a dog eat dog world at Planet Fitness.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member

I've always been more annoyed by shrugging in the squat rack, because it seems to be a more common occurrence (and done by guys who have never heard of leg day) but it's NBD. I'm just like "oh hey bro, how many sets do you have left? I need to use this for its intended purpose" and they are like "wut" and I'm like "never mind, holler at yo boo" and they are like "okay."

JK I don't say any of that, I just do something else til the rack is free. I am the only girl lifting for serious at that time and I don't want to be annoying.

He should probably trade out some of his shrugs for squats.

If you're shrugging 225 but your legs are the same size as my forearms, you maybe should do less shrugs and more calf raises or something JMHO

But it's okay man, I shrug in the squat rack now, too. Because if you can't beat em, join em. You can't roll with the big dogs, then stay on the porch.
  • LazSommer

If you're shrugging 225 but your legs are the same size as my forearms, you maybe should do less shrugs and more calf raises or something JMHO

But it's okay man, I shrug in the squat rack now, too. Because if you can't beat em, join em. You can't roll with the big dogs, then stay on the porch.

So you're criticizing someone who can shrug more than you can squat?

Very interesting.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

Maybe if you were a HEAVY LIFTER you would understand that your SUPER HEAVY SQUATS take precedence over everyone else's exercises.

IT"S LIKE MY WORLD IS ENDING!!! Where o where will i do my 95 pound quarter squats now?
  • levitateme

Very interesting.

When you look at weight to ability ratio, we are pretty close.

I squat 14 lbs less than my body weight in working sets. He's shrugging prob 5 lbs less than his.

But you're just mad because this article is making fun of you, I get it.
  • LazSommer

Also, I'm sure you know all about this as a pro-lifter, but not all people have low placed calves. Many men struggle to build up their calves despite being able to squat plenty of weight. Supposedly Arnold himself had such issues, so when he finally did blow up his calves many suspected implants. Again, I assume you know that, though.

Also, he would probably do calf raises in the squat rack, as well, so that's probably not the best workout suggestion coach.
  • levitateme

Also, I'm sure you know all about this as a pro-lifter, but not all people have low placed calves. Many men struggle to build up their calves despite being able to squat plenty of weight. Supposedly Arnold himself had such issues, so when he finally did blow up his calves many suspected implants. Again, I assume you know that, though.

Also, he would probably do calf raises in the squat rack, as well, so that's probably not the best workout suggestion coach.

Why don't you go back to trolling that eating disorder thread?

Oh wait, you got it deleted because of all your butthurt.
  • LazSommer

Very interesting.

When you look at weight to ability ratio, we are pretty close.

I squat 14 lbs less than my body weight in working sets. He's shrugging prob 5 lbs less than his.

But you're just mad because this article is making fun of you, I get it.

Oh, you didn't tell me he stepped on the scale for you. Again, he's shrugging the same body weight ratio as you are squatting?
  • LazSommer

IT"S LIKE MY WORLD IS ENDING!!! Where o where will i do my 95 pound quarter squats now?

Dude, you gotta caps lock to avoid the quotes when typing in caps.
  • LazSommer

So you're telling me to stay?
  • levitateme

You're pretty funny, honestly. I don't know why you're so mad about how other people feel about what you do with gym equipment, but w/e. I said I would just let you curl/shrug til you're done and then take my turn.

Then you said i went to PF and I was like :sad: he's so mean
  • LazSommer

You're pretty funny, honestly. I don't know why you're so mad about how other people feel about what you do with gym equipment, but w/e. I said I would just let you curl/shrug til you're done and then take my turn.

"I don't know why you're so mad about how other people feel about what you do with gym equipment, but w/e."

You don't handle being called out on your shenanigans very well, do you?

Maybe as a novice lifter you should worry less about what others are doing in the gym, be it shrugs, curls in the squat rack, or whatever else and worry more about your progress.

For the record I do neither, but the shrug is a valid workout. Yes, you could do it with dumbbells but I could make the same argument for a 140 lb squatter taking up a rack.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member

Like there are squat racks at PF, pshaw.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    The advantage to using the squat rack barbell is that it's already elevated, meaning you won't have to lift the barbell off the floor
    Exactly why I do curls in the squat rack.

(Ok, I do have my own weights setup.)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member

"I don't know why you're so mad about how other people feel about what you do with gym equipment, but w/e."

You don't handle being called out on your shenanigans very well, do you?

Maybe as a novice lifter you should worry less about what others are doing in the gym, be it shrugs, curls in the squat rack, or whatever else and worry more about your progress.

For the record I do neither, but the shrug is a valid workout. Yes, you could do it with dumbbells but I could make the same argument for a 140 lb squatter taking up a rack.

Dude, the article not only teaches people who probably should start with 5 pound dumb bells how to curl in the squat rack, it recommends that you aim for 15 reps and that lifting the weight off the floor might hurt your back.

If you have good reasons for curling in the squat rack, have at it, but the article is mock-worthy.

However, it looks like there might be personal history here, so I'll just sit over there until one of you rage-quits.