Very low calorie diet (short term)

Options
PLEASE NO COMMENTS ON NOT TO DO THIS!!
I am going to be starting a very low calorie diet for a few weeks (4-6) I understand this is not healthy I understand I cannot continue to do this but I am going to do it… SO anyways any tips on an 800-1000 calorie diet??? I will be taking a multi vitamin and a calcium chew to help keep those important things up during this time.. I am cleaning my food habits up even more…. I hope to lose at least 15 lbs by the end of this diet I am 5'4" and 1200 calories does next to nothing with weight loss for me... No eating more calories does NOT work... thanks

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    It's been suggested that I'm not supportive on this site, so I say go for it.

My tips would be:

a) eat less.

b) eat less

c) eat less

d) think about the post you will make in 4-6 weeks about how low cal didn't work for you and do you actually have to exercise or is there some magic pill you can take?
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I would never tell someone else what to do, but the only way to stop the yo-yoking is to make a healthy lifestyle for yourself. Eat reasonably, track your food, and exercise if you can. It is calories in versus calories out.

From my experience, the faster it comes off, the faster it goes back on. Sustainability is key.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Nobody's going to comment then. Well, they shouldn't, since promotion of VLCD's is against the TOS for MFP.

Now, if *I* found myself gaining on more than "1200" calories a day, I would do everything in my power to ensure I was accurately logging (weighing my food, picking the accurate database item for my food, etc.--finding the "hidden" calories--I was guilty of that mistake, a lot of us were). Then, if I still wasn't losing, I'd get myself to a doctor, a dietician, and endocrinologist, etc. whoever to help me, since something would be incredibly broken with my body. Just my story--Good luck!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Why I want to get in shape

I want to get into shape to like the way I look, to be healthier, and to feel like I look prettier to my husband... He says I look fine but I wont believe it until I think I look good!!

I now have a new reason to want to be the healthiest I have ever been my son Chase born 9/27/13 I want to show him how to be fit and healthy not just tell him to be.. I want to be able to play with him and my nephews! We are gonna have so much fun.. more fun with a fit mommy

Just gonna remind you why you are here...your son isn't even a year old yet and on a VLCD for 4-6 weeks you are putting yourself in danger of dropping him due to weakness...passing out due to lack of food....and being irritable with him due to hunger, lethargy and tiredness...

BTW 1200 is low enough if you log accurately.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • katelynnsmom2
    katelynnsmom2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First off, I hope you're not breastfeeding. Second, 1200 is probably not working because you are sedentary and you are probably eating more calories than you think you are. I know this is not what you want to here but diet is only half the battle. Strap your baby in a stroller and WALK! drink lots of water. Please try this for a while before going to extremes. Walk an hour a day and (give it a couple weeks). eat 1200-1400 cals a day. Make sure you kick up a sweat. It will work.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Either you're eating more than you think or you need to see your doctor to rule out anything medical. You SHOULD NOT want to eat less than your baby eats. That's really foolish. It's against the rules of this site to promote unhealthy ways of eating.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    First off, I hope you're not breastfeeding. Second, 1200 is probably not working because you are sedentary and you are probably eating more calories than you think you are. I know this is not what you want to here but diet is only half the battle. Strap your baby in a stroller and WALK! drink lots of water. Please try this for a while before going to extremes. Walk an hour a day and (give it a couple weeks). eat 1200-1400 cals a day. Make sure you kick up a sweat. It will work.

Actually you can lose weight by cutting calories alone.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    PLEASE NO COMMENTS ON NOT TO DO THIS!!
    I am going to be starting a very low calorie diet for a few weeks (4-6) I understand this is not healthy I understand I cannot continue to do this but I am going to do it… SO anyways any tips on an 800-1000 calorie diet??? I will be taking a multi vitamin and a calcium chew to help keep those important things up during this time.. I am cleaning my food habits up even more…. I hope to lose at least 15 lbs by the end of this diet I am 5'4" and 1200 calories does next to nothing with weight loss for me... No eating more calories does NOT work... thanks

At 5'4" ....29 years old 1200 should definitely work. How are you measuring portions....with a scale? My bet is you are eating more than you think you are. If you truly can't lose on 1200.....I would have some medical testing done.

With 19 pounds to go you shouldn't expect to lose weight in leaps and bounds.....1-1.25 pounds a week (max). You could be experiencing a plateau, water weight the day of weigh in.....whatever.

A multivitamin will not support lean muscle....but go ahead and lose muscle plus fat on 800 calories. My weight loss goal is to lose fat.....not move the number on the scale. Skinny-fat only makes the scale look good.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Man, no matter how I go I'm always getting dinged.

Think Ninerbuff will give me a pass for obvious sarcasm?

Do you think just typing his name might summon him?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Do you think just typing his name might summon him?

I think this is a good time for him and others with experience and success at weight loss to pop in a give the OP some help and suggestions in achieving her goal in a more healthy manner.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    It is entirely possible and I've had great success doing so following some strict rules

BUT this
    I am 5'4" and 1200 calories does next to nothing with weight loss for me.

^^^ right there

Tells me that this is going to end very badly for you once you attempt it.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    DO NOT DO THIS!!!

There...I said it.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    don't do it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    No comment - just two quotes, one from your profile and one from your OP:
    I now have a new reason to want to be the healthiest I have ever been my son Chase born 9/27/13 I want to show him how to be fit and healthy
    I understand this is not healthy
  • ChasesMumma927
    ChasesMumma927 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I measure everything! Every little thing that goes into my mouth gym included 1200 does nothing
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    No comment - just two quotes, one from your profile and one from your OP:
    I now have a new reason to want to be the healthiest I have ever been my son Chase born 9/27/13 I want to show him how to be fit and healthy
    I understand this is not healthy

SERIOUSLY??!
    what kind of an example are you setting to your recently born son?!!
    800 - 1000 calories and VLCD is wrong and unhealthy and it is obvious that you have no clue in what you are doing - seek help but do not hurt yourself - do it for your son at least!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I measure everything! Every little thing that goes into my mouth gym included 1200 does nothing

measure or weigh as there is a significant difference.
  • ChasesMumma927
    ChasesMumma927 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Amount serving. By measurement or counting like counting out nuts
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Amount serving. By measurement or counting like counting out nuts

Buy a food scale and weigh everything on it that isn't liquid. Bet 1200 isn't 1200
This discussion has been closed.