Very low calorie diet (short term)

Options

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Anyway I can delete this post I didn't realize it was against any rules. I thought it was an open conversation place

Play you a song for the way out

2v8stmq.gif
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I measure everything! Every little thing that goes into my mouth gym included 1200 does nothing

Then you either have a medical issue or you're not weighing the food accurately. Measuring (cups) solids is almost always different than weighing in grams. I'm willing to bet that you're underestimating how much food you're actually eating. So, unless you have a medical problem, 1200 calories is MORE than enough of a deficit to drop weight.
  • ChasesMumma927
    ChasesMumma927 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

^This thread is really helpful. There are lots of errors in the database. This gives lots of pointers in finding the correct entries.

I can understand wanting to make a change. I've been on a long plateau. Really frustrating. Change up your workout....change up your eating patterns (zig-zag, 5:2 offer different ideas)....something other than VLCD for several weeks.

Thank you :-)
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If you didn't want people to not tell you to do an unhealthy thing, why even post at all? What are you looking for? People to justify your plan and tell you to go for it? You won't find support on a site where the majority cares about doing things in a healthy, sustainable way. If you weren't losing weight on 1200 calories, either you need to see a doctor or you're doing it wrong.
    Because there are people on here that do it. Your just wasting time posting a comment. I have talked with many that have said they don't and won't eat 1200 cals.

Ya, they're called anorexics. Is that really the road you want to set yourself on? Starving yourself to a useless scale goal?

Or do you want to learn about doing it in a healthy and sustainable manner and teach yourself and your child good habits?

I'll never do 1200. I maintain my current weight on 2200 calories.

This. I lose at 2200+ cals a day, weighing and measuring everything. No need to starve yourself OP...
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Or do you want to learn about doing it in a healthy and sustainable manner and teach yourself and your child good habits?

I'll never do 1200. I maintain my current weight on 2200 calories.

^^ This is right on!

Please listen to the many voices of reason here. I have been on these boards for nearly a year and most of these people who are giving the candid advice have all tried to lose weight in many ways. They have all gotten to a point of realizing that they need

1. Figure out their TDEE and BMR (several thread references here).
    2. Accurately weigh solid foods and measure liquid foods.
    3. Not overestimate calorie burns

4. it is going to take a long time to do it "right" but it IS worth it! :smile:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    If you didn't want people to not tell you to do an unhealthy thing, why even post at all? What are you looking for? People to justify your plan and tell you to go for it? You won't find support on a site where the majority cares about doing things in a healthy, sustainable way. If you weren't losing weight on 1200 calories, either you need to see a doctor or you're doing it wrong.
    Because there are people on here that do it. Your just wasting time posting a comment. I have talked with many that have said they don't and won't eat 1200 cals.

People on here also...eat healthy, kickbox, lift heavy. Some just eat at a calorie deficit by actually weighing their foods.

As another poster already said...people on the internet do lots of things...setting themselves on fire with rubbing alcohol, post pics on fb after they've committed a crime and are shocked when they get caught, promote pro-ana, discourage pro-ana, try to get those thinking this is a good idea to realize it's not a good idea.

You need to think about your son. Seriously, put his needs before your own. Sure, you can say you are, but not if you're willing to put your life at risk eating a VLCD because you don't want to actually learn how and put in the time and effort it takes.
  • QueenKristine7
    Options
    Dont do it! i said it just because you told me not to. But seriously, there is absolutely no need to starve yourself. I've been losing by eating over 1500 a day!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Anyway I can delete this post I didn't realize it was against any rules. I thought it was an open conversation place

Why do you think this type of weight loss plan is against the rules of the forum? Are you opposed to investing so time in reading the links posted for you and trying a food scale?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you couldn't lose at "1200", it strongly suggests your calorie tracking is broken.

And that strongly suggests you will also fail at "800" calories.

Before doing anything, I suggest making your diary open and doing meticulous, public logging for 3-4 weeks.
  • jasonmh630
    Options
    I measure everything! Every little thing that goes into my mouth gym included 1200 does nothing

Then you either have a medical issue or you're not weighing the food accurately. Measuring (cups) solids is almost always different than weighing in grams. I'm willing to bet that you're underestimating how much food you're actually eating. So, unless you have a medical problem, 1200 calories is MORE than enough of a deficit to drop weight.

I'll add to my previous post... ^^^ Buy yourself a digital scale. That was the BIGGEST eye opener for me. Before I got it, what I thought was about 1800 cals, was actually more like 2500 by the end of the day. So, get a digital scale... I promise you that you won't regret that decision. You can get one for around $20... The only thing you should be "measuring" in cups or spoons are liquids... and no, Peanut Butter is not a liquid lol.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Unless you're going to eat that little for the rest of your life, which will kill you, you'll gain any weight lost back when you start eating normally again.

Sorry if you didn't want to hear the truth.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    A large portion of you loss will come from lean muscle doing a VLC diet, which means your BMR will be lower making your maintenance calories lower and easier to put the weight back on, more of which would be fat.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    PLEASE NO COMMENTS ON NOT TO DO THIS!!
    I am going to be starting a very low calorie diet for a few weeks (4-6) I understand this is not healthy I understand I cannot continue to do this but I am going to do it… SO anyways any tips on an 800-1000 calorie diet??? I will be taking a multi vitamin and a calcium chew to help keep those important things up during this time.. I am cleaning my food habits up even more…. I hope to lose at least 15 lbs by the end of this diet I am 5'4" and 1200 calories does next to nothing with weight loss for me... No eating more calories does NOT work... thanks

Your son is very cute. Congratulations. I know how difficult that first year of being a mom is - it feels like all you are doing is pushing for milestones. When is he going to sleep through the night? When is he going to sit up, crawl, stand, walk, say his first word? When am I going to lose the baby weight?

I know you will not want to hear this, but you need to slow down, in all aspects of that. Your baby will hit all those milestones in his own timeline. Also, you can lose the weight, in a slow but sustainable way, if you pay more attention to the process. I agree with everything others have said, if you think you are not losing at 1200 cals, you are likely consuming more than 1200 cals. The suggestion of a food scale is a good one - I haven't used one but I know so many people on here that found that to be a vital tool to help them finally achieve their weight loss goals. I can recommend a FitBit or some other type of device that helps track your steps and the calories burned - I found this to be really helpful to me in knowing how many calories I was burning and then being able to adjust my calories accordingly.

You said you want to do this VLC for only 4-6 weeks, that you want to lose 15 more pounds doing that. Is there some sort of event that you are trying to lose the weight for, why the arbitrary deadline? Since you don't want anyone to tell you not to do it, can you tell us what you envision happening after the 4-6 weeks, if you are completely successful? How many calories then? What do you think will happen to your weight?
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options

I would gain weight too if I ate my gym.
  • jasonmh630
    Options

Why do you think this type of weight loss plan is against the rules of the forum? Are you opposed to investing so time in reading the links posted for you and trying a food scale?

Not the ones people are suggesting, but the VLCD she's promoting is against the TOS for the site... THAT'S the one that's against the rules.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    The way i see it ,shes not losing on her inaccurate way of measuring 1200 calories a day so by lowering that number to 800-1000 calories a day shell probably be really eating 1200-1400 and then shell lose,think its a miracle and everyone is wrong and still be skinny fat.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Aaaaaand how many of those people have an eating disorder?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options

Not the ones people are suggesting, but the VLCD she's promoting is against the TOS for the site... THAT'S the one that's against the rules.

This was my point.
  • jasonmh630
    Options

This was my point.

Gotcha.
This discussion has been closed.