Very low calorie diet (short term)

Options

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    If you didn't want people to not tell you to do an unhealthy thing, why even post at all? What are you looking for? People to justify your plan and tell you to go for it? You won't find support on a site where the majority cares about doing things in a healthy, sustainable way. If you weren't losing weight on 1200 calories, either you need to see a doctor or you're doing it wrong.
  • cece5300
    cece5300 Posts: 48
    Options
    What's wrong with exercising? Exercise and you'll burn more calories. I'm sure one or the other works for some people but I've gotten tremendous success with diet AND exercise. Exercise and you can eat more. This VLCD will backfire and you'll binge or gain all the weight back. It's not a well thought out idea and it's not healthy
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3.5" 120 lbs and I would never dream of trying to survive off of 1200 calories, even sedentary I lose at 1650.

Getting healthier isn't a race. That's the exact opposite. You're truly setting yourself up for failure with this. Please reconsider. I had my second child back in June of last year. It took me 9 months to lose 53 lbs but I learned sustainable habits and enjoyed my time, retained a good amount of muscle and ended up leaner than if I had raced to the finish line. Slow and steady DOES win this race
  • ChasesMumma927
    ChasesMumma927 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with exercising? Exercise and you'll burn more calories. I'm sure one or the other works for some people but I've gotten tremendous success with diet AND exercise. Exercise and you can eat more. This VLCD will backfire and you'll binge or gain all the weight back. It's not a well thought out idea and it's not healthy

Ummmm I don't workout 5 days a week 40 mins each day
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I measure everything! Every little thing that goes into my mouth gym included 1200 does nothing

May I ask how you're measuring? Do you have a scale or are you using just measuring cups? Because without a scale you may well be underestimating what you're eating.

Please, please take our advice and don't do a VLCD. It is highly detrimental to your health. Not to mention it is against forum rules to advocate them.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Amount serving. By measurement or counting like counting out nuts

Buy a food scale and weigh everything on it that isn't liquid. Bet 1200 isn't 1200

This x 1,000.

Buy a food scale. Measuring cups and counting isn't going to be very accurate.

Quoting this for emphasis
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=step+by+step+guide
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    No one can support you doing this. It is against the terms of this site because it is dangerous.

Anything you do that is for X number of weeks will have no impact on your long term health. You have to do something that you can do for the rest of your life.

Weigh all your food. Fin.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm just gonna leave all of this right here...

Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice.
    -Wayne Dyer

It's about moderation not deprivation. There are no good/bad foods, only bad eating habits. Do or do not, there is no try. You have to want it, you have to work for it, you have to realize that only you can do it.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1346163-change-your-mindset

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Get a scale. An electronic one is like $20. It's a great investment. Because you will find that 2/3 cups (90g) does not always measure out accurately with a measuring cup. Get a scale. It will make everything better. If you can't afford an electronic one, Target has a generic non-electronic one that's $5.
  • ChasesMumma927
    Options
    If you didn't want people to not tell you to do an unhealthy thing, why even post at all? What are you looking for? People to justify your plan and tell you to go for it? You won't find support on a site where the majority cares about doing things in a healthy, sustainable way. If you weren't losing weight on 1200 calories, either you need to see a doctor or you're doing it wrong.
    Because there are people on here that do it. Your just wasting time posting a comment. I have talked with many that have said they don't and won't eat 1200 cals.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Since you requested people not to tell you to do this........I got nothing.

However, I totally agree with everyone who said - you are eating more than you think and this is unhealthy! Just sayn'
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Because there are people on here that do it. Your just wasting time posting a comment. I have talked with many that have said they don't and won't eat 1200 cals.

Their brains have been affected by the long term low calories.dont listen to them
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Then they're all making a bad decision and I hope they see this. Me trying to get people who are reading and potentially considering this foolish plan to rethink their actions is not a waste of time. You posting on a public forum about wanting to do something harmful for your body, however, is.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

There are people on the internet setting themselves on fire using rubbing alcohol as well. It's not healthy either so please don't try it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

^This thread is really helpful. There are lots of errors in the database. This gives lots of pointers in finding the correct entries.

I can understand wanting to make a change. I've been on a long plateau. Really frustrating. Change up your workout....change up your eating patterns (zig-zag, 5:2 offer different ideas)....something other than VLCD for several weeks.
  • ChasesMumma927
    Options
    Anyway I can delete this post I didn't realize it was against any rules. I thought it was an open conversation place
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

Ya, they're called anorexics. Is that really the road you want to set yourself on? Starving yourself to a useless scale goal?

Or do you want to learn about doing it in a healthy and sustainable manner and teach yourself and your child good habits?

I'll never do 1200. I maintain my current weight on 2200 calories.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    So if you're only doing it short term what happens the 4-6 or however many weeks are over? That weight isn't going to stay off. If you're not losing on 1200, you're not doing something right. Do what you will, but be ready for that weight to come right back on.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. Really!

What you want to do is unhealthy, not sustainable and quite frankly a recipe for failure. If you aren't weighing/measuring everything I would start. If you are and aren't losing weight I would suggest you see a physician not go on some VLCD!
This discussion has been closed.