Is this workout too much?

Options
Recently increased my intensity by adding super sets to my program. I do this work out 3 days a week. I am in pretty good shape. Been lifting for 4 years consistently. Do you think this is too much to do 3 days a week?

Indoor Cycling 40 min -
A1) Dumbbell Bench Press 5x5
A2) Dumbbell One Arm Row 10x4
B1) Dumbbell Incline Bench Press 5x5
B2) Dumbbell Lateral Raise 10x4
C1) Machine Lat Pull Down 5x5
C2) Push Up 60 sec 10x4
D) Seated Machine Row 5X5
E) Leg Extensions 30 sec 15x 2
F) Leg Extension with One Leg 15 X2 (each)
G) Seated Leg Curl 30 sec 15x 2
H) Seated Leg Curl with One Leg 15x4 (each)
I1) Dumbbell Shoulder Press 5x5
I2) Dumbbell Shoulder Shrug 10x4
J1) Dumbbell Alternate Bicep Curl 5x5
J2) Cable Triceps Pulldown10x4
Abs
Crunches 15X 2
Air Bike 15X 2
Alternate Heel Touchers 15X 2
Leg Raise 10X 2
Oblique Crunches 15X 2
Plank 2X1 MINUTE

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    not to much- just kind of haphazard

no squats
    no dead lifts??
    no pull ups?
  • JasonMcUCF
    JasonMcUCF Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    why do i need to do squats or deadlifts or pull-ups? I work the same muscles with the other exercises. Just returning from a couple leg injuries anyway. What makes it "haphazard"?
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Good lord, how long does it take you to do all that?
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    First off great progress:drinker:

What are your goals? Strength? Hypertrophy? Also how much time are you spending in the gym?

Well if I was to suggest anything it would be to try and find an upper/lower body 3 day split and to do the cardio on your off days..

You might be better off with 4 sets of 2 leg extensions + Adding Squats and swapping out the one legged curls for DL..

All in all you're probably spending to much time on your workout and it might be counter productive...
  • JasonMcUCF
    Options
    about 2 hours. I have a screwed up schedule with full time job, full time student, and a wife and two kids. So i gotta get it in LOL.
    I should also explain that I am not trying to gain lower body mass I am a distance runner which is why i do high reps lower weight and I do not do squats or deadlifts. Upper body goal is strength and lean mass,
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts helped with my running.
    And have helped with my knee problems (PF syndrome both knees).
    Don't skip leg day.
  • JasonMcUCF
    Options
    I don't skip leg day. Every workout has legs in it. I just dont understand the infatuation this country has with Squats and deadlifts. Other exercises work the same muscles. I don't mind squats I just haven't done them since tendinitis rehab took me out of running for 8 weeks or so. Never did a squat in rehab either. Now just getting back from broken ankle probably shouldn't be loading it up too much in a squat rack. I will probably go back to them at some point. I just don't believe they are as important as thought in a strength training program.
  • JasonMcUCF
    Options
    by the way not "arguing" with any ones advice. I truly appreciate it. I am just the type of person that needs to know why and I just don't understand WHY squats and deadlifts are ALWAYS suggested. As far as spending too much time in the gym? I am pretty sure (through the research I have done) that is mainly for endurance training. Not sure why there would be a time limit on a strength training program. I am limited on when i can go to the gym so I have to be there for a while. As far as a three day split. I disagree with only working a muscle group once a week. I don't see that as effective.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Squats & dead lifts are prescribed so often because they are the most effective movements out there.

Endurance goals or not, I feel that isn't the most efficient workout you could be doing.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand WHY squats and deadlifts are ALWAYS suggested

This has boggled my mind as well. There are other leg exercises that target the legs as well. Leg presses for one. Leg curls. Curtsey squats, step-ups, lunges, donkey kicks, good mornings. It seems like the answer to any lifting question is:

Squats
    Dead lifts
    Pull ups
    OHP

And if you don't do those the you're "unbalanced" and your working out wrong.

If it's working for you and you have the time to dedicate (my workouts take a little over an hour depending on what I am doing) then I don't see an issue. I am assuming you're incorporating your running 2 days a week? (And based on your pics in your profile it seems like you know what you're doing).
  • JasonMcUCF
    Options
    Squats & dead lifts are prescribed so often because they are the most effective movements out there.

Endurance goals or not, I feel that isn't the most efficient workout you could be doing.

What makes it inefficient? What are your suggestions?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand WHY squats and deadlifts are ALWAYS suggested

Because Squats make you strong, stronger than any leg extensions, leg curls, etc. Assuming you're healthy of course. You put a heavy barbell on your back, it makes it hard to breathe, you use every muscle in your body to walk the weight out of the hooks and away from the uprights for a clean squat. You squat down into a parallel position that strains your legs and every muscle in your body to keep you from collapsing on the floor like Raggedy Andy. Then you push yourself away from the floor again, get to the top and have to do it all over again. There are few exercises that require what the squat does. A strong man has a strong back and strong legs, squat, and cut the rest of the crap.

For a long time I actually fell into the same trap where I would squat a little, deadlift a little, and then do all this other **** thinking it would make me better. I finally had the epiphany that I could simplify my training and get even stronger in the process. I use 7 exercises and the only thing that every changes are the acute variables; I never do more than 5 of the 7 in one session. My 7 are, Squat, Bench Press, Standing Press, Deadlift, DB Rows, Pull-ups, Dips, and then I do some Core training a couple times a week. Before I lift I do some mobility work, some medicine ball throws, box jumps, and then lift. I can stress it enough, simplify simplify simplify.

Edit: Since you have 4 years under your belt, you could easily do something like StartingStrength or 5/3/1 Full-Body (but buy Beyond 5/3/1 not 2nd edition) and address everything you address in 1/4th of the exercises. If time is a commodity to you and you appear to prefer full-body training anyway, you should really look into something like what I mentioned.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    about 2 hours. I have a screwed up schedule with full time job, full time student, and a wife and two kids.

why?

this right there. You said it yourself.

They are highly efficient compact exercises that target a lot of stuff in just one lift each.

I mean if I HAD to chose two exercises for the rest of my life- it would be front squats and pull ups- seriously- it's the absolutely most bang for your buck you can get.

You'll move more weight- and be more efficient and doing the things you want to do.

The bigger question is why would you want to do all that other leg rubbish when you say you are busy and want to get it all in- but chose to do the "I go by way of my elbow to get to my a**" version of working out.
  • JoRocka
    Options

What makes it inefficient? What are your suggestions?

LULZ asked and answered..

- a program that involves squats and dead lifts and back work.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it was too much....I would say your leg section is really weak - but you said you had some leg injuries, so I guess it is what it is until youve recovered.

Id co-sign swapping in pull ups/chin ups and dips - they make a difference (Im experimenting with adding weight to them as well).

When your legs are OK, even if you hate squats and traditional deadlifts, theres still Romanian deadlifts, lunges, walking lunges and leg press, which would all improve your leg workout

Id agree with Sam - you can definitely find a more efficient program if time is an issue.
  • JasonMcUCF
    Options
    thanks i will check it out
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Ahhh ... the what makes compound lifts more efficient than isolation exercises question yet again. Kinesiology for $200 please, Alex.
  • JasonMcUCF
    Options
    I wouldn't say it was too much....I would say your leg section is really weak - but you said you had some leg injuries, so I guess it is what it is until youve recovered.

Id co-sign swapping in pull ups/chin ups and dips - they make a difference (Im experimenting with adding weight to them as well).

When your legs are OK, even if you hate squats and traditional deadlifts, theres still Romanian deadlifts, lunges, walking lunges and leg press, which would all improve your leg workout

thanks man. I have actually been thinking about putting them in there I like both exercises A LOT. And my last program (before i got hurt) had RDL's and Leg press both. I really like the full body workout and not sure what to cut-out for time sake.
  • JasonMcUCF
    Options
    no I understand the compound vs iso question/answer. I just don't get the YOU GOTTA DO SQUATS DUDE attitude.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    thanks man. I have actually been thinking about putting them in there I like both exercises A LOT. And my last program (before i got hurt) had RDL's and Leg press both. I really like the full body workout and not sure what to cut-out for time sake.

There is nothing wrong with the RDL, it definitely helped my squat at one point. However, I've found that if you squat 2 to 3 times a week, and deadlift 1 to 2 times a week, you don't need the RDL, Leg Curl, or much of anything else really. At most, do a couple sets of back raises to help your lower back strength and stability (aka injury prevention).
    Ahhh ... the what makes compound lifts more efficient than isolation exercises question yet again. Kinesiology for $200 please, Alex.

Not everybody has had the benefit of taking a Kiniesiology class.