Is this workout too much?

Options

Replies

• bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I just don't get it. Where are exercises for back - critical if you are a runner.

He is doing rows and lat pull downs.

TWO TYPES OF ROWS ACTUALLY. usually do back extensions as well just forgot to put it on here i guess. Also planks work back

Why you yell at me? :sad: :cry: :brokenheart:
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I didn't even read all of it! For me, it would be too much. But, if you have the time for that and like it, then maybe try it???
  • JasonMcUCF
    JasonMcUCF Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    LOL sorry not yelling use caps for work and forgot to turn off at first
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I have actually taken Kinesiology. I am in my Senior year of a BS in Sports and exercise science i just have no practical experience with developing strength training protocols.

This stood out to me.

If you're a senior in a fitness/sports/body related subject, you should understand very very well the purpose of squats & deadlifts.
    And why they're superior and suggested far more than leg curls (which as someone with knee pain, I avoid like the plague - that blasted machine causes way more pain to me than squats) and various other leg machines.
  • JasonMcUCF
    Options
    I have actually taken Kinesiology. I am in my Senior year of a BS in Sports and exercise science i just have no practical experience with developing strength training protocols.

This stood out to me.

If you're a senior in a fitness/sports/body related subject, you should understand very very well the purpose of squats & deadlifts.
    And why they're superior and suggested far more than leg curls (which as someone with knee pain, I avoid like the plague - that blasted machine causes way more pain to me than squats) and various other leg machines.

I do understand the purpose of those exercises. I just don't agree with their "superiority" for my personal goals. As far as knee pain goes I have tendinitis due to an imbalance in quad/hamstring strength which is why i have been doing double and single leg iso work. I didnt say i didnt under stand the principle behind Squats/Deadlifts. I just disagree with the fact that everyone looks at a workout and is like OH MY GOODNESS THIS GUY ISN'T DOING SQUATS. Like it is sacrilege.
  • JasonMcUCF
    Options
    This is why I ( and most other people) hate coming here to ask questions. I come in with a concern that not only I but others can learn from and several people start insulting my intelligence and not sure but maybe calling me a liar about my status in college. I am learning Sports and exercise science. I am not however an expert in Strength and Conditioning (yet) which is why I came to get the opinion of professionals (and some amateurs with experience in program design). I am well aware of what squats do and there effects on the body. I however disagree with the importance of any ONE exercise in a routine. I should have just gone on with my plan because apparently what i have been doing so far works. (SEE PROFILE PIC).
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

I do understand the purpose of those exercises. I just don't agree with their "superiority" for my personal goals. As far as knee pain goes I have tendinitis due to an imbalance in quad/hamstring strength which is why i have been doing double and single leg iso work. I didnt say i didnt under stand the principle behind Squats/Deadlifts. I just disagree with the fact that everyone looks at a workout and is like OH MY GOODNESS THIS GUY ISN'T DOING SQUATS. Like it is sacrilege.

Not to be rude, but to be fair, you have kind of said you haven't really found the optimum route towards achieving your personal goals. Squats and deads end up the foundation of most lifting plans simply because they work and they are more effective than most single exercises you can do.

Perhaps do some experiments with them to see for yourself.

edit: I think your lifting routine will seem too long when you do start triathlon training - as you'll have to get reps in for each event.
  • JasonMcUCF
    Options
    I have done them. A LOT. Can't lift weights for any amount of time with out doing them really. I understand the "efficiency" issue. Let me reiterate. I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH SQUATS OR DL'S. I have an issue with the importance that is placed on them for EVERYONE. I even said that i planned on incorporating Squats when my ankle is healed completely. This thread got so far from the actually topic it is insane. I appreciate the feedback but really tired of defending myself on why I dont do squats. I never said Squats were bad or anything. I just dont think the are that damn important that I need to do them. I just wanted to know if my routine was putting me at risk for over freaking training. Didnt need a break down of what I am doing wrong and how I spend too much time in the gym and all that. I really do appreciate the critical feedback it helps a lot. I think my position on Squats has been misunderstood.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're doing enough isolation/machine work.

^ Yes, that's sarcasm.

You can get an equally (or more) effective workout in half the time if you would focus on compound lifts. You can do accessory work, too, but this is just a mess to be honest.

Only you can decide if it's "too much." It would certainly be too much for me - I don't have enough time in the day to be at the gym for two hours. It's unnecessary.

And yes, you are arguing with all the advice you're being given. Here's a clue: if all of these people are saying the exact same thing, maybe YOU'RE the one that's wrong. You came here for advice, and you got it.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I have an issue with the importance that is placed on them for EVERYONE.

Sure, but the question would then be "do you have something better they should do instead?"
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    This is why I ( and most other people) hate coming here to ask questions. I come in with a concern that not only I but others can learn from and several people start insulting my intelligence and not sure but maybe calling me a liar about my status in college. I am learning Sports and exercise science. I am not however an expert in Strength and Conditioning (yet) which is why I came to get the opinion of professionals (and some amateurs with experience in program design). I am well aware of what squats do and there effects on the body. I however disagree with the importance of any ONE exercise in a routine. I should have just gone on with my plan because apparently what i have been doing so far works. (SEE PROFILE PIC).

Please point out where I called you a liar.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    about 2 hours. I have a screwed up schedule with full time job, full time student, and a wife and two kids. So i gotta get it in LOL.
    I should also explain that I am not trying to gain lower body mass I am a distance runner which is why i do high reps lower weight and I do not do squats or deadlifts. Upper body goal is strength and lean mass,

Building your glutes will do a great deal of good for your running, whether you're going for distance or speed. Glutes are extremely important for runners. Don't neglect your squats and deadlifts.
  • JasonMcUCF
    Options
    I don't think you're doing enough isolation/machine work.

^ Yes, that's sarcasm.

You can get an equally (or more) effective workout in half the time if you would focus on compound lifts. You can do accessory work, too, but this is just a mess to be honest.

Only you can decide if it's "too much." It would certainly be too much for me - I don't have enough time in the day to be at the gym for two hours. It's unnecessary.

And yes, you are arguing with all the advice you're being given. Here's a clue: if all of these people are saying the exact same thing, maybe YOU'RE the one that's wrong. You came here for advice, and you got it.

Not arguing with the advice arguing the importance of a particular exercise and by the way that exercise is advice i did not solicit. I was referring to the stress of the work out being too much not the amount of time I spend in the gym or the efficiency of my lifts versus what I "should be doing". Just saying I didnt realize my entire routine was going to be picked apart. I guess that is my bad though I did post it.

I spend so much time in the gym cause I can only get there 3 days a week and i start in the gym before 6am which is the only reason I can make 2 hours.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    no glutes? boys need booty too
  • JasonMcUCF
    Options

Please point out where I called you a liar.

I said possibly and I believe it was implied in your comment
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    This thread has digressed, lol.
  • JasonMcUCF
    Options
    no glutes? boys need booty too

LOL guess not gonna be in the gym for 3 hours before this thread ends LOL
  • JasonMcUCF
    Options
    This thread has digressed, lol.

Thank you i was trying to find a way to delete it. Totally off topic. Totally!! I am frustrated and will never bring a concern to MFP again.
  • JasonMcUCF
    Options
    we have established that I am the worst strength coach in the world though LOL. No where to go but up I guess LOL
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Yes, your plan has been working and you look great, but you aren't efficient. That is ONE of the benefits of compound movements. You came in asking if your workload is too much. People are telling you how to do less work and get better results, but you don't want to hear it. So if you think staying at the gym for 2 hours to gain results you could have gotten in 45 minutes is the best method, carry on.