Is this workout too much?

Options

Replies

• maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    no I understand the compound vs iso question/answer. I just don't get the YOU GOTTA DO SQUATS DUDE attitude.

JoRocka pretty much explained that. Squats and Deadlifts are compound exercises meaning they work more muscles in that exercise. If you're pressed for time then you can easily do a 5x5 of squats and deadlifts and completely skip all the presses, extensions, curls, and whatnot because those same muscles are worked doing just these two exercises. Compound exercises make you a stronger overall person more than isolations. So since you're looking to get stronger, compound lifts would be the way to go while saving you time.
  • JasonMcUCF
    JasonMcUCF Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have actually taken Kinesiology. I am in my Senior year of a BS in Sports and exercise science i just have no practical experience with developing strength training protocols. I understand that Compound exercises use more muscle groups and their benefit for other areas and increase caloric burn and blah blah. I just don't understand why from a strength training point of view I "need" squats. I understand their benefit and what they do and actually enjoy them (until I had knee problems). The Isolation exercises are what I used in Rehab and I am inclined to stay with what they used to STRENGTHEN MY LEGS.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Ahhh ... the what makes compound lifts more efficient than isolation exercises question yet again. Kinesiology for $200 please, Alex.
    lulz true story.

I feel personally that I don't think anyone says isolation work isn't effective- or bad- but in terms of most efficient use of time- compounds > isolation- but when you get down to it - if LIKE isolation- then do isolation's- if you're weak on something- do isolation to support it.

But unless you're training specifically for a BB competition- it doesn't make sense to do a bodybuilding split isolation workout.
  • JasonMcUCF
    Options
    Is that what you would consider my routine? A bodybuilding split? I don't think that is what you meant just making sure though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    Just questioning why you would want to add lean upper body mass only if you're a distance runner?

As for the workout, there's no "perfect" one for everyone, but apparently this is what you like and believes works for you. If so, then stick with it.
    If you want my professional opinion on it, I've never trained any running athlete (whether distance or sprinter) and deleted squats and/or leg presses to help improve their leg power and speed.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Is that what you would consider my routine? A bodybuilding split? I don't think that is what you meant just making sure though.

I feel like you're over thinking it- it's not like there aren't official labels to put it- more of a ven diagram I'd say- but for purposes of this conversation... yes- yours falls significantly closer to THAT group than the strength/over all fitness group.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what I think- if you like the program- it makes you happy- then do the program.
    If you don't want to squat- don't squat. I don't understand why you care what other people think on the subject.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Just questioning why you would want to add lean upper body mass only if you're a distance runner?

As for the workout, there's no "perfect" one for everyone, but apparently this is what you like and believes works for you. If so, then stick with it.
    If you want my professional opinion on it, I've never trained any running athlete (whether distance or sprinter) and deleted squats and/or leg presses to help improve their leg power and speed.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Good call Niner, I missed the running part. If you are a runner, then you definitely need to improve your ground-contact force to improve your speed, even if you're a distance runner. Squats is hands-down the best lift for improving that. I would probably throw in some kind of plyometric jumps as well, but that's getting off-topic.
  • JasonMcUCF
    Options

I feel like you're over thinking it- it's not like there aren't official labels to put it- more of a ven diagram I'd say- but for purposes of this conversation... yes- yours falls significantly closer to THAT group than the strength/over all fitness group.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what I think- if you like the program- it makes you happy- then do the program.
    If you don't want to squat- don't squat. I don't understand why you care what other people think on the subject.

I care what other people think because I like to learn. This is my (soon-to-be) field and I like having the opinion and knowledge of others. Through their experience and education I can better my routine, better my-self and therefore better the people I will affect after college. Like i said before I have NO practical experience (besides my own plans) putting together any Strength training programs. I understand most of the concepts involved and what exercise order and all that I just don't have the practice to write an effective plan with out a little feed back from my peers and colleagues. As far as Niner's reply, I thought that training for muscular endurance in the legs would be more beneficial especially since I have had problems with tendinitis. When I rehabbed I did all ISO work on legs 15-20 reps 1 set and have just stuck with it. That is why there are no squats or deadlifts currently in my routine. I just started this routine so I do not know if it works for me or not
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

I care what other people think because I like to learn. This is my (soon-to-be) field and I like having the opinion and knowledge of others. Through their experience and education I can better my routine, better my-self and therefore better the people I will affect after college. Like i said before I have NO practical experience (besides my own plans) putting together any Strength training programs. I understand most of the concepts involved and what exercise order and all that I just don't have the practice to write an effective plan with out a little feed back from my peers and colleagues. As far as Niner's reply, I thought that training for muscular endurance in the legs would be more beneficial especially since I have had problems with tendinitis. When I rehabbed I did all ISO work on legs 15-20 reps 1 set and have just stuck with it. That is why there are no squats or deadlifts currently in my routine. I just started this routine so I do not know if it works for me or not

What do you run? Most of your muscular endurance will come from training for your event or what you like to run (i.e 5K). Squats are there for GFC which will help your speed and help you deal better with inclines.

Rehab work is going to help re-stabilize and strengthen the injury. Now that you're healed, I'm assuming at least, now you need to work on improving performance for your event. The two types of training are going to be different.
  • JasonMcUCF
    Options
    I run anything from 5k to Half Marathon and am actually moving towards Triathlons (training this fall). My tendinitis is healed but i am 7 weeks of an ankle break and still working on mobility there.

Side note- I live in Florida not too many inclines except bridges lol (but i get your point). My problems started because i was not knowledgeable enough to know that i needed to strength train my legs along with running (not an issue now). I will head your advice as soon as I feel i can safely load this ankle with wait and do some Squats and Probably RDL's.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I'd like to point out that it's really important to know that there is a significant difference in rehabbing and general conditioning, which is why rehab involves a lot of isolation work.. I mean- that to me is kind of self explanatory.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    I run anything from 5k to Half Marathon and am actually moving towards Triathlons (training this fall). My tendinitis is healed but i am 7 weeks of an ankle break and still working on mobility there.

Side note- I live in Florida not too many inclines except bridges lol (but i get your point). My problems started because i was not knowledgeable enough to know that i needed to strength train my legs along with running (not an issue now). I will head your advice as soon as I feel i can safely load this ankle with wait and do some Squats and Probably RDL's.

Ah that's cool. Doing RDL's after squats is not the end of the world or too much, IMO at least. Squats should be heavier and RDL's I would say would be a good exercise in the range of strength-endurance, 2 to 3 sets of 10-15 reps. Just be careful with the RDL. Use your lats to keep the bar pinned to your body to minimize spinal sheering go down until you get a stretch in the hammies, don't worry about how far down you go mid-shin at most.

I'm in a MS program myself and have had to do research on training for endurance athletes. What I've found is that the strength training component is typically 2-day splits and the rest of the training is your running. Research indicates 85% of the running is aerobic and the other 15% is anerobic in-nature.
  • JasonMcUCF
    Options
    I'd like to point out that it's really important to know that there is a significant difference in rehabbing and general conditioning, which is why rehab involves a lot of isolation work.. I mean- that to me is kind of self explanatory.

Thank you for your input.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    I will admit that I have no idea how optimally suggest training for a Tri-Athlete though. That's a whole other ball of wax. lol
  • JasonMcUCF
    Options
    I have resources I just haven't had a chance to talk to them yet. This training plan all started to increase intensity and I was getting bored. I just wanted to go a little harder. I am not a heavy lifter not sure i ever will be. Just not my thing so i decreased rest and started supersets. Probably not a Tri-athlete workout at all just wanted something different and not really in a position to pay a trainer or coach.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    It's a nice schedule, definitely not efficient, but a good way to get out of the house for 2 hours.

What you're missing about squats and deads is that it's far more efficient, not just because of muscle use and recruitment, not just because of relevance to daily life, but also because of hormone production efficiency. Our bodies are these neat things, they sense stress and release various chemicals to adapt. The more muscle is recruited and used in a movement, the more hormones released.

These help with growth, recovery, and overall performance. If you don't want to maximize that, then yeah, avoid the large compound lifts. Since you ARE gimped with your ankle, I'd talk to your PT about leg work, you load that ankle too fast, too heavy, and this will happen.

janson-kendall-broken-ankle.jpg

More compounds will save more time in the gym too. If you want to spend those two hours though (because family), then add in some of the dynamic lifts like cleans.
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I just don't get it. Where are exercises for back - critical if you are a runner.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I just don't get it. Where are exercises for back - critical if you are a runner.

He is doing rows and lat pull downs.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

The squats work you're back as well and he wants to do RDL's which will address the hamstrings, glutes, and lower back. If he does Squats and / or deadlifts, rows / chins, RDL's, his back will be fine.
  • JasonMcUCF
    Options

TWO TYPES OF ROWS ACTUALLY. usually do back extensions as well just forgot to put it on here i guess. Also planks work back