How bad does a tattoo hurt?

Options

Replies

• 949BeachMom
    Options
    The noise is more irritating. My artist laughed when I asked for cotton to plug my ears . But its a fast scratch and honestly I regret the 2 I have. Id get something very small.
  • Coltsforlife
    Options
    i only have them on my arm but the worst pain was sitting still for awhile lol , i cant stand sitting in one spot for long
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. My back didn't hurt at all though.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    go get one and find out!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I got one on my shoulder when I was 16 and had it recolored almost 2 years ago. It's a small butterfly. It was uncomfortable, mainly because a lot of it was on the bone. I also had a tramp stamp done the same day. much larger than my shoulder tattoo. Again, it was uncomfortable, but not unbearable.

My husband has a very detailed skull tattoo on his arm and he had it recolored the same day I had my stuff done. It took over and hour for it to be recolored and he was pretty uncomfortable while it was being done.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I've got one on my neck behind my ear. My tattoo artist told me it's one of the least painful places to get a tattoo. I don't know if he was right because I never got another one, but it didn't hurt at all. It just felt like someone was lightly scratching me behind my ear.

Several hours afterwards my skin felt a bit raw, as if someone had been scratching my skin repeatedly in the same spot for an hour. That went away fairly quickly though, the next day or so.

It did not feel like I was being pricked with needles, which is what I was expecting it to feel like.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Its really not as bad as you're going to psych yourself up for it to be. Go for it!
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I love tattoos and don't think they "hurt". I crave tattoos actually. Getting my 3rd one soon. The only reason I haven't had it done yet is because I can't decide where to put this one. It is a very, very important one to me, and I want to make sure I have no regrets as to where I place it.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    like a cat stratching you!
  • TLB86
    TLB86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Obviously it will hurt, it's a needle! BUT it's bearable!!

I had my shoulder blade done when I was 15 (good job I don't regret it lol) and have had a long one on my wrist (redone twice) which hurt more. My should was just annoying whilst my wrist, especially around the wrist bone, was awful but only because I was sat for 7hrs going over the same parts as my tattooist was a bit of a pefectionist.

How does it feel? Well I'd describe it as a red hot needle scratching over and over. The area gets very warm but nothing so bad that you won't go back and have another lol. You think never again and then when it's done it's like 'wow what next'!!!

Go on and enjoy :bigsmile:

(I am planning my next)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It didn't really hurt bad but like others have said, it feels like you'd imagine a pin scratching you would feel. And to me, it felt like a sunburn afterwards (sort of like what TLB86 said above). My friend noticed that I zone out while I'm getting inked - like going to my happy place. LOL!

My larger piece is over my left shoulder blade and it was mostly ok but was definitely a bit more painful in the spots where the bone is closer to the skin. I got a small one on my lower back first as kind of a trial run and that wasn't too bad so I figured the big piece would be fine too.

It is kind of addicting so be prepared for wanting more!

Enjoy!!
  • swaistle
    swaistle Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The best way I can describe it is like a scratching feeling, like a cat scratch? When they stop it then just feels red hot like a sun burn but it's completely bearable and i warn you once you have one you'll want more :p

i guess it depends where you get it too! you can google tattoo pain maps :) though they slightly vary you'll see that there's just general area that will definitely hurt and other areas that vary based on opinion like shoulder blades for example :)
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I find them relaxing. Some of it will depend on where you intend to get it, and your personal pain tolerance.

Same here. The only one out of the 8 I have that hurt was near the inner arm on my forearm. It was tender.
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    The one around my penis smarted a bit, but it was ok
  • sammharley1
    sammharley1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie, Ive had my entire ribs done and I have never experienced pain like it!

I can describe it like a hot scalpel.

But didnt put me off getting anymore.
  • geneva042
    Options
    depends where really :)
    they sting at some places, can hurt like hell at others (i'm thinking about my friend who got a foot tatoo last month...)
    I have 3 small, some hurt more than the others.

Make sure you get a reputable artists though! see their work on people, and not just the fresh ones. I did that mistake and the guy went too deep so it scared badly (lucky enough it gives it a more ''wild'' style that I don't mind) but yea...
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I have a tattoo about 3 inches long on my upper back in the center. It honestly the least painful tattoo I have out of 5. It all depends on where the tattoo is and how large it is going to be. Also if the tattoo artist has a "heavy hand" it could potentially hurt more.
  • geneva042
    Options
    Not gonna lie, Ive had my entire ribs done and I have never experienced pain like it!

I can describe it like a hot scalpel.

But didnt put me off getting anymore.

OW! Ribs? nice!
    but yea...
    ow
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Depends on what and where.

this. I have one on my ankle and one on my shoulder. Everyone said the ankle one was going to hurt bad and it didn't. And the shoulder one did hurt, but nothing I couldn't get through.
  • ShannonS921
    Options
    I find them relaxing. Some of it will depend on where you intend to get it, and your personal pain tolerance.

Exactly this.

I could fall asleep in the tattoo chair...I love it. I have a very high pain tolerance, though...not everyone can say the same. I have both of my shoulders/upper back done and neither of them hurt at all for me.