How bad does a tattoo hurt?

Options

Replies

• 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Well since I was in my early 20s, I've wanted a specific tattoo. Now that I'm losing the weight, I feel that a reward when I get to my goal is to get the tattoo I've always wanted. I'm thinking about a few inches big, and either in the centre of my upper back or on my left shoulder. So my question is, how bad do they hurt? Lol

Not as much as it will hurt to get it removed when you are 50.

I've always wanted the same design...I thought of that lol, but it's been 6 years and I still love the idea and design

And thanks everyone again...I'll be going for it for sure. You all described what I wanted to know perfectly!

People are always going to tell you that you'll regret it. If you've been rocking the idea for 6 years I'd say you're good to get it. Just go into it with some realistic expectations and RESEARCH for a good artist. Look for portfolios and examples of their work in the style you want your piece. Then actually talk to them ebcause, as I've learned, feeling comfortable with the artist goes so far with the whole experience.

Thank you for the advice :). A reputable place and comfortable place is definitely important to me
  • staciedawnsmith
    staciedawnsmith Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have 8, it definitely depends on your level of pain tolerance, where you're getting tattooed, and the size/complexity of the tattoo. I've had ones that didn't hurt at all like the ones on my arms. My most recent was an 8 hour straight session for my back tattoo, at some points I thought I was going to black out from exhaustion and pain. So it really varies. I'm addicted though lol so the pain doesn't stop me from planning my next piece of beautiful new ink! :-)
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I also find them to be relaxing depending on where it is. The ones on my back didn't hurt too much...except near my spine. The one on the top of my forearm was a piece of cake...and the one on my ribs....well, that one was a living hell.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the location, and your real tolerance to pain.

I remember getting my first (on my right shoulder blade).... everyone told me since I have a high tolerance for pain it wouldn't be bad. The worst part was going to be the outline because that felt like a cat scratching sensation. They were correct, the outline was the most annoying part... but that was pretty quick with what I got, and really after the first few lines, even that wasn't bad. The coloring/shading, that was nothing at all, because by the time the outline was done, the area was kind of numbing to the sensations.

Now when I got my ankle done, that was a bit different. It all felt pretty similar to my first until they hit the actual ankle bone, then it was a bit painful, and the first round I actually jumped a bit. Thankfully the artist that did it knew what he was doing, and had done my first piece, so he was prepared and had another artist come and help him hold my foot in place when it came time to go near the bone.
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Pain is a matter of where are you getting the tattoo done and your pain tolerance. For me the inner bicep, ribs, arm ditch (where they take blood samples from), elbow and wrist hurt like a mofo. My pain tolerance is low, yet I can't seem to stop getting tattooed lol

About those idiots who will always say, what will you do when you get older.... Here's a basic example of what to think about.

When you get old you shouldn't worry about your tattoos... You should worry about how you will look when you look old.

IT IS ALL RELATIVE

And vice versa

Older man with tattoos
    9d3a161fa3e61cc630a8031a610ffbc8.jpg

Older man without tattoos
    stock-photo-happy-smiling-naked-senior-man-showing-his-body-isolated-on-white-background-105751571.jpg

Older woman with tattoos
    Cathy-Ward-Twilight2.jpg

Older woman without tattoos
    Too%2Bthinandtoo%2Btan.jpeg
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't really call it pain - I call it a burn and it feels great (in a way) xXx
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Mu dentist usually hurts more then when I had my tattoo done...
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Mu dentist usually hurts more then when I had my tattoo done...

WTF kind of dentist are you going to?

All tattoos hurt. Location determines the amount of pain. For me, my right ribs/by my hip hurt most and my chest was much less painful.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    Alot! On my foot and ankle was crazy. (and then I did it again).
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    972GU.jpg

hell, just right click and open the pic.
  • BlondeButtercup127
    BlondeButtercup127 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    it's a bit of a pain that hurts oh so good!! :drinker:
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    I have one of my cockatiel on my lower left leg just above the ankle. I consider myself a wimp with pain. I did not find it bad at all. It's more annoying than anything, especially when the artist wipes the area. I also took a friend with me and we chatted and that kept me distracted (but not distracting the artist). It was a great experience and I'm happy I did it.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Literally just got done from having a complete touch up on the top of my foot so I thought I would report back. My artist wanted to go back over everything so it would all match and my advice is .... GO FOR IT GIRL :drinker: I do think I'll prop myself up and take some ibuprofen but honestly very tolerable!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    It will hurt more on a bony area like a foot, or ribs, or over a shoulder blade. Mine is a multi color tattoo done on my upper arm, and it felt like a pressure and a buzzing, NOT pain. It was my first and so far only tattoo ( at age 60), and I thought it was going to hurt, but I had no instinct to flinch, as it wasn't pain. I enjoyed the experience and I LOVE the tattoo--it's my family logo, designed by me, all 4 members of my family have the same tattoo. Hands all around, all of us connected by love.

p.s. It healed up with NO discomfort and NO itching.

p.s. 2. If you want pain, unrelenting, soul destroying pain, that lasts for months, 24/ 7, get shingles. On the face, and in the eyeball. Like being set on fire and dipped in acid, at the same time.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Top of the foot hurts like a mofo...everything else is cake in comparison.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Top of the foot hurts like a mofo...everything else is cake in comparison.

Ribs are the most painful area to get tattooed.

OP: The general rule of thumb is, tattoos are more painful if applied to areas of the body where there is less muscle and adipose tissue covering the bone, like wrists, ribs, ankles, chests, and other normally sensitive body areas.

I have two on my ribs (one upper ribs near breasts, and one lower ribs) and another on the back of my neck. My lower ribs hurt the most. Neck was a bit painful too though.
  • grannyremus
    grannyremus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lg. one on back..didn't hurt, behind ear didn't hurt. Top of foot was a BIG OUCH!
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Best. Pain. Ever. I'd have quite a few were they not so expensive.