How bad does a tattoo hurt?

Options

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    You won't know until you get one.

I got a tattoo on my lower back when I was 19 and it didn't hurt nearly as much as I thought. It certainly wasn't painless, but it wasn't unbearable by any means. It felt like you might expect - like you're being poked my needles. My tattoo was super simple, though, and didn't require any shading or coloring in. I don't have a very high pain tolerance, or at least I didn't then. I'd get another one if I was willing to spend the money, which I'm not.

My husband got one at the same time on his shoulder blade and it was a more complicated tattoo. He said it was pretty damn painful, and he has a high pain tolerance (he's that guy that accidentally slashes his arm with a knife and puts tape on it instead of getting stitches - ugh, boys!).

So, it definitely depends on your pain tolerance level, the tattoo, the location on your body, etc. Too many variables for anyone here to tell you how much it'll hurt you.
  • ShannonS921
    Options
    Not gonna lie, Ive had my entire ribs done and I have never experienced pain like it!

I can describe it like a hot scalpel.

But didnt put me off getting anymore.

My rib piece is going to be my reward when I reach my weight loss goal....I am expecting the pain and I can't wait!!! :laugh: It's a good kind of pain, in my opinion.
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If you mean does it hurt when a needle moving at a thousand RPM injects ink under a few layers of skin, then yes! LOL
    That said, everyone handles it differently, different locations and different tattoo artists all can change the pain level. Some tattooists seem to have a gentler touch than others. The worst part for me was the way the tattooist wiped the fresh tattoo intermittently during the process. It felt like sandpaper on raw flesh. And it hurt as it wrapped closer to my ribs on the side. My partner's tattoo on his chest he claims was "relaxing."
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Im a fan.. just sit back and enjoy :heart:
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    depends on where, most of mine didn't hurt but my thigh was brutal
  • sammharley1
    sammharley1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I thought it was relaxing - the rest of mine were quite a nice pain.

But my ribs was absolutely awful - I wanted the other side done too but couldnt go through it again.

Worth it though cos I love the piece!
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Your shoulder blade will hurt less than your upper back -- just think about how many nerves there are that connect to your spine, and you'll know why. Tattoos are an awesome expression of yourself though, and the pain -- which is pretty minor -- is totally worth it.

I had my rib cage done at 18, which is supposed to be a painful place to have it done, but I didn't really find it anything more than a minor annoyance, kind of like someone scratching at you. Most tattoo artists are awesome people though, and they'll be constantly checking in with you to see how you're feeling, if you need a short break, if you're in a ton of pain, and most importantly if you're feeling light headed and might pass out. Some people really can't handle pain, some can; your adrenaline will be pumping though which will definitely help haha. I've got my wrist done as well, and that was completely pain free.

I think tattoos are great weight loss goals; I'm doing a large thigh piece when I hit my goal.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Well since I was in my early 20s, I've wanted a specific tattoo. Now that I'm losing the weight, I feel that a reward when I get to my goal is to get the tattoo I've always wanted. I'm thinking about a few inches big, and either in the centre of my upper back or on my left shoulder. So my question is, how bad do they hurt? Lol

Not as much as it will hurt to get it removed when you are 50.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Certain areas will hurt more. Any place where there is minimal fat to cushion. It will also hurt on a very muscular area. But not bad enough to stop me from getting the ones I have, and more to come. Do it, you'll be fine.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Ignore the "cool" replies, please. There will be pain and it depends on the body part, on whether you have a lot of filling in to do, size of art.

I suggest you take two advils before just in case you don't know your pain threshhold. I've had tattoos that were like nothing to really painful. It's all relative.

Just do it and find out for yourself. If you really want it, it won't matter how it feels.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Upper arm, shoulder = not much pain at all

Can't say about other areas but I have heard some horror stories!
  • crymsnroze
    Options
    Well since I was in my early 20s, I've wanted a specific tattoo. Now that I'm losing the weight, I feel that a reward when I get to my goal is to get the tattoo I've always wanted. I'm thinking about a few inches big, and either in the centre of my upper back or on my left shoulder. So my question is, how bad do they hurt? Lol

Depends on where you get it. I got mine on my right shoulder and it felt like a paperclip being lightly dragged across my skin. It took about an hour. :smile:
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Mine is on my upper arm and I'm not going to lie, it hurt, especially on the inside of my arm. That said, it's complete and I've had it re-inked once as well, so it must be bearable.
  • Skout528
    Skout528 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My tattoos all mean something, and are related to struggles conquered or very personal things deep in my heart. I concentrate on those, and how the pain of that struggle was 100x worse than an hour under a needle. I have had both wrists and foot done and there were a few little pressure/twinges when they were over bone, but I still would say it's not that painful. Make it meaningful!
  • Billscrazygal
    Options
    I have the left shoulder blade it didn't hurt at all .. . just be relaxed
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Maybe i'm just a wuss but I thought it really hurt. But its kind of like child birth, as soon as its done you forget the pain.
  • raqueldaisy
    raqueldaisy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had my ribcage and my foot done as my first two tatts in the same day. And BOY did the ribcage hurt... it felt to me like a knife scraping my skin over and over again. Your shoulder and back shouldn't be too bad - but like everyone else has said, the less fat/muscle to cushion the bone, the more it will hurt.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Not bad enough to say don't get one, it hurts too much. Mine (above my ankle) hurt only a little bit. Just make it personal/special.
    Both my daughters have multiple ones, they don't seem to mind.
  • stellag1969
    stellag1969 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I find them very soothing, I know odd. I have fallen asleep during a couple of them. It depends on the person and where you get it.
  • WreckaRed
    WreckaRed Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love the feeling. Some areas are more sensitive than others. The only tattoo that I have that really was uncomfy was the one on my lower back. The rest of them were just fine.