Why is it so hard for me to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You're eating more than you think it's that simple. You don't weigh your food so in reality have a clue what you're eating. Also many days look incomplete. If you really want to do this you need to be accurate and consistent. We can all make excuses but it comes down to you I see you making excuses as to why you can't be bothered to log accurately the question is Do you want to lose weight? If the answer is yes log your food properly. This link will help and once you find out how much your really eating you can then do something about it. Good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters that suggest you really need to weigh your food to know how much you're eating. That's the very first thing you need to know. It's really, really common to underestimate your calories -- it happens to nearly everyone. So, until you start doing that methodically and consistently, it will be really hard to drill down on other issues.

If you get to a point where you're weighing/measuring everything and still not losing weight as expected (within a reasonable margin of error), then it's time to start digging deeper into other issues. Many people love to taut CICO as the end all be all, but for some people, the content of those calories will make a big difference in their weight loss and body composition. For some (like those that are insulin sensitive), more carbs will be better. For other (like those with insulin resistance), less carbs will be better because of the way their bodies metabolize glucose. A sufficient amount of protein is also important as that helps you maintain LBM in a caloric deficit -- so more of the weight you lose will be fat rather than muscle, which you want to keep as much as possible.

Unfortunately, some people on this site refuse to acknowledge these differences. They refuse to acknowledge the importance of body composition in weight loss (the more muscle you lose, the more weight you will lose because it only takes 600-1700 calories to lose a lb of muscle whereas it takes 3500 calories to lose a lb of fat). They draw these arbitrary lines between weight loss and health -- but the type of body tissue you reduce will directly affect how much total weight you lose. So trying to maintain as much LBM and lose as much fat is important -- to both your health and the number on the scale. Plus, the more LBM you have, the higher your RMR -- another big issue in how big you CO part of the CICO equation is.

Plus, there are other issues you could have -- 40% of US adults have insulin resistance at diabetic or prediabetic levels, so the amount of carbs may make a big difference to you. Or there are plenty of other issues out there -- thyroid, PCOS, etc. But, first start off with the food scale, get really accurate with your calories and then if things still aren't working, look deeper.

While I love the passive aggressive "some people" part of this post the fact is that the op is not weighing or even logging her food.

Until she does this it is FAR to early to be discussing if carbs are helping or hindering her weightloss.

Some people don't bring up issues like that when an op admits to not logging as it clouds the issue, and can make losing weight seem much harder than it needs to be. It can cause people to focus on the wrong things instead of just trying to get the basics right - consistently logging and weighing food.

This doesn't mean that some people deny different macros have an effect - in fact rarely see anyone state that macros are not important. What is does mean is that they want the op to get comfortable weighing and logging as that is where the basics lie. without doing these two things nothing else really matters.

Until the op knows how much she is actually eating everything else is moot.

Some people might have even suggested the op read the links posted that explain macros in a clear way that doesn't need repeating on this thread, but hey - why just post that you agree with most people on this thread that the op needs to log, when instead you can get a passive aggressive jab in at other forum users.

I'm not sure you understand what passive aggressive means. Some forum users do as I said -- it's just a statement -- and one with which I disagree.

Disagreement isn't always a jab, passive-aggressive or otherwise, at you or any other forum users. You may want to adjust that chip on your shoulder so it's not quite so uncomfortable.

Of course it wasn't. But if it wasn't aimed at anyone on this thread why bring it up at all?

I don't have a chip on my shoulder. Maybe you are actually looking in a mirror. :laugh: :laugh:

I stand by my post 100%

I'm unsurprised you won't admit to being passive aggressive as that is just your style.

In your world, how does one disagree without being passive aggressive then?

I wasn't taking a shot at you personally -- I don't know you at all. I simply disagree with the idea you presented. And you aren't the only person on these boards to do so. I disagree with them all too on this point. But, I'm not taking jabs at them either with my disagreement. Shoot, you may not be the only person on this thread that put forth that idea. I don't know because I didn't go and look at who specifically said what. That's why I opted for just the generic "some people". Reasonable people can disagree.

So it was me you disagreed with.

The way to do it not passive aggressively is to say you disagree with me and start a dialogue.

Then you would learn that I 100% think macros are important and also agree that some people have issues with carbs. But in this case I believe the op needs to learn to weigh and log before getting into specifics. Too complicated means people give up or latch onto ideas that don't help.

Instead you went with 'some people' the non passive agressive way is to say 'I disagree with iron feline'. And as for the whole I don't know how many people said it. The thread wasn't even a page long, maybe you should read all the replies before commenting.

I have no issue with people saying I'm wrong as long as I'm allowed to explain my reasoning that is reasonable. I have issue with people taking a passive aggressive approach to saying I'm wrong without actually saying that it is me who is wrong.

See the difference?
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    In your world, how does one disagree without being passive aggressive then?

I wasn't taking a shot at you personally -- I don't know you at all. I simply disagree with the idea you presented. And you aren't the only person on these boards to do so. I disagree with them all too on this point. But, I'm not taking jabs at them either with my disagreement. Shoot, you may not be the only person on this thread that put forth that idea. I don't know because I didn't go and look at who specifically said what. That's why I opted for just the generic "some people". Reasonable people can disagree.

So it was me you disagreed with.

The way to do it not passive aggressively is to say you disagree with me and start a dialogue.

Then you would learn that I 100% think macros are important and also agree that some people have issues with carbs. But in this case I believe the op needs to learn to weigh and log before getting into specifics. Too complicated means people give up or latch onto ideas that don't help.

Instead you went with 'some people' the non passive agressive way is to say 'I disagree with iron feline'. And as for the whole I don't know how many people said it. The thread wasn't even a page long, maybe you should read all the replies before commenting.

I have no issue with people saying I'm wrong as long as I'm allowed to explain my reasoning that is reasonable. I have issue with people taking a passive aggressive approach to saying I'm wrong without actually saying that it is me who is wrong.

See the difference?

I wasn't trying to make it personal. I was simply disagreeing with the concept. I wasn't paying attention to you at all. And in my first post, I wasn't paying attention to who specifically said what. And I'm not sure if you were the only person on this thread to state a similar concept -- you certainly aren't the first only or only to do so on this site.

I went with the 'some' for generic discussion purposes. It's sort of like the idea of the impersonal you. When people use "you" not directly at someone but as a substitute for mankind in general. If I was responding to you directly, I would have quoted you directly. I find it really odd that you interpret the generic 'some' as a passive aggressive jab personal jab at you. I know it may be shocking to hear, but this isn't about YOU at all. Talk about major projection. Geez.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    jennifer-lawrence.gif
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I usually do not put my food up here because the app takes too long to upload when in on the go but i will start doing that soon

I'm in the MFP iOS app multiple times a day and it makes my logging a breeze. I seldom deal with the website. What device do you use to access it?
  • abear007
    abear007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Please point to one person that says that.

I'll wait.
    If it's all CICO, and the type of calories don't matter, then why in the world would you balk at this? It shouldn't make a lick of difference and the weight loss should be the same - if that's all there is to it.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Where do these dolts keep coming from?
    The ones who seem to think that there's no difference between eating 1000 calories worth of sugar/refined grains and eating 1000 calories of healthy food and that weight loss would be same regardless? Good question.

Please point to one person that says that.

I'll wait.
    If it's all CICO, and the type of calories don't matter, then why in the world would you balk at this? It shouldn't make a lick of difference and the weight loss should be the same - if that's all there is to it.

Sorry what now?

I have no idea what you are asking :huh:

Edit: I've added back in what I was responding to - and I think I see what you're trying to say.

While CICO is all that matters for weight loss it is not all that matters for what is lost - ie fat or muscle, People do say the weight loss will be the same but then 99.9% of the time then states that what is lost ie fat or muscle is going to be affected by what you eat. Nobody has ever recommended a diet of 1000 calories of sugar and refined grains - yet somehow people claim this happens all over MFP.

It's nonsense, no-one recommends a diet of only sugary carbs - but it won't stop or halt your weight loss (medical conditions aside). Its a stupid argument thrown out by people who want to demonize foods.

That is my issue with that ridiculous statement, and I suspect you know that.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    For some reason it is easy for me to gain weight( i do not eat a lot of food btw) and it is extremely hard for me to lose weight. I am 200 pounds and i need to get down to about 150-160.

I eat 1,400 caloriesa day because i wasn't losing at 1,800 calories. Do any of you know could be wrong? Am i not starting my weight loss the way i should?

Honestly because your not trying hard enough or being consistent. probably aren't measuring your portions and just guessing how much you ate... everyone asks this all the time and it's always the same **** ... People aren't actually measuring their food and just hope it fits into their calories.

Now if you have been measuring everything and weighing it then stick with it longer 4 weeks or longer, with out going over ... and then see if there is a difference.... dedication ...hardwork ... all pays off if you actually do the work! Effort matters so try harder
  • rosnz
    rosnz Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It isn't hard for YOU to lose weight. It is hard for anyone to lose weight but the difference is that those who are losing the weight stop not making excuses like too busy to log or exercise. It's said endlessly - eat less calories than you burn. Measure how many calories you eat accurately (weigh and log). Sorry to sound harsh but your question isn't 'why is it so hard for me to lose weight' but 'why can't I put in place the actions to follow MFP' Answer that and it will help. Good luck,
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Where do these dolts keep coming from?
    The ones who seem to think that there's no difference between eating 1000 calories worth of sugar/refined grains and eating 1000 calories of healthy food and that weight loss would be same regardless? Good question.

While it's always better to get whole foods that contain the micronutients needed to keep you healthy, a calorie is a calorie when it comes to weight loss.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    For some reason it is easy for me to gain weight( i do not eat a lot of food btw) and it is extremely hard for me to lose weight. I am 200 pounds and i need to get down to about 150-160.

I eat 1,400 caloriesa day because i wasn't losing at 1,800 calories. Do any of you know could be wrong? Am i not starting my weight loss the way i should?

I skimmed your diary, you're not eating enough and what you're eating isn't the best for you either.
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    most people find that they're eating more calories than they think.

btw, if you start logging your food here on MFP, be aware that there are many inaccurate listings - there's one for cole slaw that says it's 45 calories per half cup, which is about a third of the actual calories, so it's often worth checking or you could continue eating more calories than you think.

btw, i have skinny friends who live on pop-tarts, cupcakes and soda. calories are calories - eat less than your body needs to lose weight unless you have a metabolic issue.

An old roommate of mine lived off of sugar cubes, white toast with mayo, and tea with whole milk and sugar. Occasionally she would have a burger or some pizza. She was very thin.
  • W31RD0
    Options
    jennifer-lawrence.gif

Gosh 'some people' really take stuff said on the internet as a personal indictment. Ain't nobody got time fo' that.
  • W31RD0
    Options
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    jennifer-lawrence.gif

Gosh 'some people' really take stuff said on the internet as a personal indictment. Ain't nobody got time fo' that.

Yet you had time to comment on it. Interesting.

(Actually it's not but hey. I'm bored, the only reason I replied to her in the first place)
  • AliUnrau
    AliUnrau Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Its not always a case of eat less calories and exercise more that is going to work. If you are not eating enough calories for the amount that you are burning off in the day your body slows down the metabolism to save energy. So if you work out quite a bit, you need to eat more.
  • W31RD0
    Options
    Yet you had time to comment on it. Interesting.

It certainly takes less time to comment on it than actually get into the little girl-tissy.
    (Actually it's not but hey. I'm bored, the only reason I replied to her in the first place)

Translation: "I'm totally not mad guys. Damn, I know noone knows how mad I am right now."
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Translation: "I'm totally not mad guys. Damn, I know noone knows how mad I am right now."

Sorry what now?

Certainly not mad - confused maybe, yes confused about why you decided to inject yourself into this, and while I'm enjoying the insults - I find them quite hysterical actually, little girl-tizzy :laugh: - they say way more about you than me, I sadly have to go to bed now - but hey, feel free to try to guess my emotions regarding the stuff I say. You've been completely wrong so far, but keep trying - I'm sure you'll get one right eventually. (hint: I've just told you one)

night night buttercup. :flowerforyou:
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

Sorry what now?

Certainly not mad - confused maybe, yes confused about why you decided to inject yourself into this, and while I'm enjoying the insults - I find them quite hysterical actually, little girl-tizzy :laugh: - they say way more about you than me, I sadly have to go to bed now - but hey, feel free to try to guess my emotions regarding the stuff I say. You've been completely wrong so far, but keep trying - I'm sure you'll get one right eventually. (hint: I've just told you one)

night night buttercup. :flowerforyou:

I think it's most telling that when I gave you my explanation -- i.e. not aimed at you personally (evidence: didn't quote you, used "some" for generic discussion purposes) -- you simply chose to ignore it and insist on your interpretation of slight that did not exist. You could have just as easily said, "oh, I see what you're saying, my bad." But instead you gave the internet version of an eye roll, and now just say it's because you're bored.

That's a lot of after the fact rationalization for what was a pretty minor misunderstanding. Given this display, I imagine you also have a hard time admitting you're wrong and/or apologizing. Easier to invent slights that don't exist.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I agree with many of the posters above that the first step should be to make sure you are properly measure your intake and accurately estimating any calories burned from exercise.

The longer you log, the faster it gets because you can save your menu items meals for future use that you have already verified as accurate.