Why is it so hard for me to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Gaining is easier for almost everyone than losing. You aren't alone there.

See a doctor. Make sure you don't have some physical problem.

If it's not physical, you have to keep eating less and exercising more.

It's a lot of work and you have to do the work for a really long time.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Eating less than you were doesn't necessarily mean you are eating less than you need to maintain so I'm with the others advising you weigh and log everything you eat and drink. Only then can you start questioning other reasons for not losing. My money is on underestimation at the moment.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters that suggest you really need to weigh your food to know how much you're eating. That's the very first thing you need to know. It's really, really common to underestimate your calories -- it happens to nearly everyone. So, until you start doing that methodically and consistently, it will be really hard to drill down on other issues.

If you get to a point where you're weighing/measuring everything and still not losing weight as expected (within a reasonable margin of error), then it's time to start digging deeper into other issues. Many people love to taut CICO as the end all be all, but for some people, the content of those calories will make a big difference in their weight loss and body composition. For some (like those that are insulin sensitive), more carbs will be better. For other (like those with insulin resistance), less carbs will be better because of the way their bodies metabolize glucose. A sufficient amount of protein is also important as that helps you maintain LBM in a caloric deficit -- so more of the weight you lose will be fat rather than muscle, which you want to keep as much as possible.

Unfortunately, some people on this site refuse to acknowledge these differences. They refuse to acknowledge the importance of body composition in weight loss (the more muscle you lose, the more weight you will lose because it only takes 600-1700 calories to lose a lb of muscle whereas it takes 3500 calories to lose a lb of fat). They draw these arbitrary lines between weight loss and health -- but the type of body tissue you reduce will directly affect how much total weight you lose. So trying to maintain as much LBM and lose as much fat is important -- to both your health and the number on the scale. Plus, the more LBM you have, the higher your RMR -- another big issue in how big you CO part of the CICO equation is.

Plus, there are other issues you could have -- 40% of US adults have insulin resistance at diabetic or prediabetic levels, so the amount of carbs may make a big difference to you. Or there are plenty of other issues out there -- thyroid, PCOS, etc. But, first start off with the food scale, get really accurate with your calories and then if things still aren't working, look deeper.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    A key thing in weight loss is what those calories are made of; i.e Carbohydrates, Fats, Protein (Macronutrients).

If you eating more carbs than you should be and not burning them off so that you can move on to burn the fat, you will be forever struggling to lose the weight. You need to look at what your daily intake of macronutrients are and when you are eating them throughout the day.

That way you can make the most out of the 1400kcals you have, believe me you can eat a hell of a lot of food with just 1400kcals, especially of the good stuff.

Kyle Bonsor PT
    Personal Trainer & Motivational Speaker

LOLOLOLOL no.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    3 main reasons people don't lose weight:

They are eating more than they believe

They are over estimating their physical burn

They have a health or hormonal issue deterring it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^see, bolded signature. Much more impressive.

Truth.

Also, watch this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DJVjWPclrWVY
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    For some reason it is easy for me to gain weight( i do not eat a lot of food btw)...

aQg6qaP.jpg
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters that suggest you really need to weigh your food to know how much you're eating. That's the very first thing you need to know. It's really, really common to underestimate your calories -- it happens to nearly everyone. So, until you start doing that methodically and consistently, it will be really hard to drill down on other issues.

If you get to a point where you're weighing/measuring everything and still not losing weight as expected (within a reasonable margin of error), then it's time to start digging deeper into other issues. Many people love to taut CICO as the end all be all, but for some people, the content of those calories will make a big difference in their weight loss and body composition. For some (like those that are insulin sensitive), more carbs will be better. For other (like those with insulin resistance), less carbs will be better because of the way their bodies metabolize glucose. A sufficient amount of protein is also important as that helps you maintain LBM in a caloric deficit -- so more of the weight you lose will be fat rather than muscle, which you want to keep as much as possible.

Unfortunately, some people on this site refuse to acknowledge these differences. They refuse to acknowledge the importance of body composition in weight loss (the more muscle you lose, the more weight you will lose because it only takes 600-1700 calories to lose a lb of muscle whereas it takes 3500 calories to lose a lb of fat). They draw these arbitrary lines between weight loss and health -- but the type of body tissue you reduce will directly affect how much total weight you lose. So trying to maintain as much LBM and lose as much fat is important -- to both your health and the number on the scale. Plus, the more LBM you have, the higher your RMR -- another big issue in how big you CO part of the CICO equation is.

Plus, there are other issues you could have -- 40% of US adults have insulin resistance at diabetic or prediabetic levels, so the amount of carbs may make a big difference to you. Or there are plenty of other issues out there -- thyroid, PCOS, etc. But, first start off with the food scale, get really accurate with your calories and then if things still aren't working, look deeper.

While I love the passive aggressive "some people" part of this post the fact is that the op is not weighing or even logging her food.

Until she does this it is FAR to early to be discussing if carbs are helping or hindering her weightloss.

Some people don't bring up issues like that when an op admits to not logging as it clouds the issue, and can make losing weight seem much harder than it needs to be. It can cause people to focus on the wrong things instead of just trying to get the basics right - consistently logging and weighing food.

This doesn't mean that some people deny different macros have an effect - in fact rarely see anyone state that macros are not important. What is does mean is that they want the op to get comfortable weighing and logging as that is where the basics lie. without doing these two things nothing else really matters.

Until the op knows how much she is actually eating everything else is moot.

Some people might have even suggested the op read the links posted that explain macros in a clear way that doesn't need repeating on this thread, but hey - why just post that you agree with most people on this thread that the op needs to log, when instead you can get a passive aggressive jab in at other forum users.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

Some people might have even suggested the op read the links posted that explain macros in a clear way that doesn't need repeating on this thread, but hey - why just post that you agree with most people on this thread that the op needs to log, when instead you can get a passive aggressive jab in at other forum users.

Couldn't agree more. Way too many science lessons on these forums when a more common sense approach of 'just try following the instructions given by the site' is sometimes all that's needed.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

While I love the passive aggressive "some people" part of this post the fact is that the op is not weighing or even logging her food.

Until she does this it is FAR to early to be discussing if carbs are helping or hindering her weightloss.

Some people don't bring up issues like that when an op admits to not logging as it clouds the issue, and can make losing weight seem much harder than it needs to be. It can cause people to focus on the wrong things instead of just trying to get the basics right - consistently logging and weighing food.

This doesn't mean that some people deny different macros have an effect - in fact rarely see anyone state that macros are not important. What is does mean is that they want the op to get comfortable weighing and logging as that is where the basics lie. without doing these two things nothing else really matters.

I'm not sure you understand what passive aggressive means. Some forum users do as I said -- it's just a statement -- and one with which I disagree.

Disagreement isn't always a jab, passive-aggressive or otherwise, at you or any other forum users. You may want to adjust that chip on your shoulder so it's not quite so uncomfortable.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

I'm not sure you understand what passive aggressive means. Some forum users do as I said -- it's just a statement -- and one with which I disagree.

Disagreement isn't always a jab, passive-aggressive or otherwise, at you or any other forum users. You may want to adjust that chip on your shoulder so it's not quite so uncomfortable.

Of course it wasn't. But if it wasn't aimed at anyone on this thread why bring it up at all?

I don't have a chip on my shoulder. Maybe you are actually looking in a mirror. :laugh: :laugh:

I stand by my post 100%

I'm unsurprised you won't admit to being passive aggressive as that is just your style.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

Of course it wasn't. But if it wasn't aimed at anyone on this thread why bring it up at all?

I don't have a chip on my shoulder. Maybe you are actually looking in a mirror. :laugh: :laugh:

I stand by my post 100%

I'm unsurprised you won't admit to being passive aggressive as that is just your style.

In your world, how does one disagree without being passive aggressive then?

I wasn't taking a shot at you personally -- I don't know you at all. I simply disagree with the idea you presented. And you aren't the only person on these boards to do so. I disagree with them all too on this point. But, I'm not taking jabs at them either with my disagreement. Shoot, you may not be the only person on this thread that put forth that idea. I don't know because I didn't go and look at who specifically said what. That's why I opted for just the generic "some people". Reasonable people can disagree.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    A key thing in weight loss is what those calories are made of; i.e Carbohydrates, Fats, Protein (Macronutrients).

If you eating more carbs than you should be and not burning them off so that you can move on to burn the fat, you will be forever struggling to lose the weight. You need to look at what your daily intake of macronutrients are and when you are eating them throughout the day.

That way you can make the most out of the 1400kcals you have, believe me you can eat a hell of a lot of food with just 1400kcals, especially of the good stuff.

Kyle Bonsor PT
    Where do these dolts keep coming from? :grumble:
  • JoanneKendrick
    JoanneKendrick Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm not loosing weight either and I am very careful on what I eat and have upped my exercise a lot. I have lost inches and I am feeling better in myself. I agree you need to weigh certain foods and be totally honest on what you are eating. Just take each day as it comes, exercise between 4-5 times a week, drink 2 ltrs of water a day, cut back on sugar, eat healthy carbs I.e brown rice, increase your protein. At the end of the day this is not a quick fix, it's a way of life. Eat, exercise for being healthy, loosing weight and toning is a bonus. Good luck :-)
  • abear007
    abear007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Where do these dolts keep coming from?
    The ones who seem to think that there's no difference between eating 1000 calories worth of sugar/refined grains and eating 1000 calories of healthy food and that weight loss would be same regardless? Good question.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Some people's genetics make it harder for them to lose weight/lose weight slower than other people or even gain weight easier, everyone's different. That being said there's measures you can take to help boost your metabolism & speed weight loss. You might try exercising a couple times a week, walking on a treadmill, hiking or adding caffeine into your diet (just make sure its zero calorie or black coffee)
    I used to believe the genetics thing but not anymore. The truth is that most people have a difficult life losing weight because they are not aware of portions, calories, and how to eat less than they burn. While I believe exercise raises a person's metabolism, and I exercise each day, it is not necessary for weight loss.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Kyle Bonsor PT
    Kyle, this is not true.

There is no good and bad food, and carbs provide energy.calories in/calories out.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You're not logging or weighing your food. You have no idea how much you're actually eating and since you're not losing weight you're eating too much. Buy a food scale and get to logging. Claiming it is too hard is only an excuse. It is not hard if you want it.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Where do these dolts keep coming from?
    The ones who seem to think that there's no difference between eating 1000 calories worth of sugar/refined grains and eating 1000 calories of healthy food and that weight loss would be same regardless? Good question.

Please point to one person that says that.

I'll wait.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    most people find that they're eating more calories than they think.

btw, if you start logging your food here on MFP, be aware that there are many inaccurate listings - there's one for cole slaw that says it's 45 calories per half cup, which is about a third of the actual calories, so it's often worth checking or you could continue eating more calories than you think.

btw, i have skinny friends who live on pop-tarts, cupcakes and soda. calories are calories - eat less than your body needs to lose weight unless you have a metabolic issue.