Muscle, fat, density, weight, mass...oh my!

Options
123457»

Replies

• mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^waiting!!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Anyone else read the OP in Sheldon's voice? No? Just me then.

tumblr_m2swx4MIBP1qm7166o1_500.gif

Hey man Sheldon is my favorite character off the show. At least you got that OP.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I am still waiting for OP to explain under what circumstances the fat and muscle in my body will be at different temperatures and pressures. That would then make the original post remotely relevant.

Guess that's five minutes of my life I'll never get back.

*and please learn the difference between "your" and "you're." It really isn't a difficult concept, even for an engineer.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I care about whether people have an understanding. Usually I do give people the benefit of the doubt. But I've realized lately, that even smart educated people, don't have an understanding of basic scientific concepts. Even some people I know who have engineering degrees don't. For example, what a scientific theory really is. A lot of people think it's just a guess and can be written off as "just a theory."

Do you not see why people are thinking of GIFs and insults? Because you are being condescending so a real answer would be validating you highly unscientific claims. I bet the majority of the people who commented here may actually know more than the bare basics. It's unnecessary at best. It's like attempting to teach you the basics of algebra, it's both unnecessary and lacks respect.

So why is it when I'm talking to people about BMI and I say, "for people who are muscular, BMI is somewhat irrelevant because muscle weighs more than fat." Nine times out of 10 someone who is involved in the conversation needs to point out that I am "wrong." They feel the need to even insult me and say I'm stupid for saying "muscle weighs more than fat." I would say out of those 9 people, 4 are just being pretentious, but 5 really don't have an understanding. Most of the time I don't care about things like this, but it seems to be an epidemic these days. Maybe I am the only one who notices this. Or maybe I'm in the wrong circles.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I care about whether people have an understanding. Usually I do give people the benefit of the doubt. But I've realized lately, that even smart educated people, don't have an understanding of basic scientific concepts. Even some people I know who have engineering degrees don't. For example, what a scientific theory really is. A lot of people think it's just a guess and can be written off as "just a theory."

Do you not see why people are thinking of GIFs and insults? Because you are being condescending so a real answer would be validating you highly unscientific claims. I bet the majority of the people who commented here may actually know more than the bare basics. It's unnecessary at best. It's like attempting to teach you the basics of algebra, it's both unnecessary and lacks respect.

So why is it when I'm talking to people about BMI and I say, "for people who are muscular, BMI is somewhat irrelevant because muscle weighs more than fat." Nine times out of 10 someone who is involved in the conversation needs to point out that I am "wrong." They feel the need to even insult me and say I'm stupid for saying "muscle weighs more than fat." I would say out of those 9 people, 4 are just being pretentious, but 5 really don't have an understanding. Most of the time I don't care about things like this, but it seems to be an epidemic these days. Maybe I am the only one who notices this. Or maybe I'm in the wrong circles.

Dr-Sheldon-Cooper-Quotes-and-more-17.jpg
  • duberstein
    Options
    This has been one of the most interesting threads I've read on here for some time. I've really enjoyed reading through it even though it's been painful reading at times. Unfortunately people can be ignorant a**hole* and not even know it. Ho-hum.

All this guy did and has continued to try to do is encourage people to be less ignorant of the facts so that they can in return be less gullible to the fads and diet fallacies that unashamedly exist today. That is all.

If ignorance is bliss, carry on.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    This has been one of the most interesting threads I've read on here for some time. I've really enjoyed reading through it even though it's been painful reading at times. Unfortunately people can be ignorant a**hole* and not even know it. Ho-hum.

All this guy did and has continued to try to do is encourage people to be less ignorant of the facts so that they can in return be less gullible to the fads and diet fallacies that unashamedly exist today. That is all.

If ignorance is bliss, carry on.

Someone gets it!

Basically there are 3 types of people:

1) A-holes. Really can't do much about them and not worth anyone's time.

2) People who are truly stupid and/or ignorant and unwilling to learn. This is actually rare. Most people are pretty smart and willing to learn but sometimes they need to get out of their own way (See item 1).

3) People who really want to learn but get caught up in all the BS, fads, advertising, Dr. Oz shows, etc. These are the people I want to influence. They usually get over falling for the BS and go back to basics. I think they just want a shortcut or find an easier way. If fact, I was one of these people and probably still am to some degree. This is what bothers me: when a person in this category is trying their best and say something like the muscle weighs more thing and get insulted and told they are "wrong" usually by people in category 1. It can be discouraging. And then a super A-hole comes along and says everyone else is wrong and I am right so buy my product that REALLY works.