Body Pump vs Lifting. Help!

Options
Hi all,

In the past, my exercise has been purely cardio. I've now started mixing it up with core work, including pilates and yoga.

I really want to incorporate some weight lifting into this and have started doing Body Pump for this reason (no jeering please, I've no upper body strength! ;))

My question is, will Body Pump be enough to sustain/ tick box the 'strength training/conditioning' element? I'd LOVE to get some definition on the old biceps but having read several blogs/ discussions, the consensus is pretty mixed. I'm more focused on becoming leaner and more toned rather than anything else (ie getting stronger), but there are some lifters who insist weight lifting is the ONLY way to do this. Surely, this can't be true, given Body Pump incorporates an all muscle work out?

I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

Thanks!

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Body Pump is more cardio based than it is strength. It's a lot of reps and low weights.
    If you want more strength go with heavier weights and do programs such as New Rules of Lifting for Women, p90x, stronglifts 5x5 etc.

Body Pump is fine and it's fun, but I wouldn't say it's really "strength". It elevates your heart rate like cardio would, it just incorporates a barbell.

I do Body Pump on my off days for weight lifting, my weight lifting days I lift heavy.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Body Pump would be good for someone like an endurance athlete to cross-train with because it builds endurance in your muscles and helps support sustained activity in other muscles that you are doing with cardio work. It does work your muscles, but if the goal is significant strength gain then I don't think it's the right class. You would have to adjust your participation significantly -- heavier weights, lower reps -- and body pump, being music-based with prescribed tracks and movements, might not be a good fit even then.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My question is, will Body Pump be enough to sustain/ tick box the 'strength training/conditioning' element?

short answer- no. it does not.

it's still cardio.

try starting strength, strong lifts, new rules of lifting, strong curves... or check out some training over on BB.com.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    body pump is largely cardio. in RE to what you are doing for your muscles, yes you are working them...but you are primarily working muscular endurance and stamina as you are lifting relatively light weights for high reps. I don't do body pump, but I do similar when I'm in racing season...other times of the year I work hypertrophy...and yet other times of the year I work for actual strength. it's most beneficial to have various cycles throughout the year to include some actual weight lifting.
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I did body pump for a while. I had no upper body strength either and did see some muscle growth. I got to a point though where I stalled. I then switched to lifting heavy. I hate to say it but I had to relearn a lot of things. They teach you to not squat low, my OHP was really bad before I got with a trainer. I would encourage you to do starting strength and work with a trainer to learn proper technique.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Body Pump isn't purely (or even mainly) cardio, it's resistance/strength, by any definition besides those who think only low rep / high weight qualifies as 'resistance exercise'. Even an elliptical or a bike or swimming have resistance components to them. Just because something gets your heart rate up in parts doesn't mean it's just cardio.

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/bodypump-group-exercise-does-it-work-or-not

"...researchers concluded BodyPump classes were effective at increasing muscular strength and endurance and developing efficiency in movements and muscle activation. Although subjects did indicate metabolic and cardiovascular improvements, these improvements did not translate to actual aerobic fitness."
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Outside of a few exceptions- doing anything over 15 times places it outside the "pure strength training" category. You're not getting stronger unless you make it harder- doing it longer does not make something more difficult in terms of strength- it's purely a muscle endurance exercise at that point- and no one is saying that muscle endurance does not have it's place- but that area of training is not strength training.

It's a different ball of wax- it's unquestionably more cardio than strength.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    In Body Pump, you do make it harder over time. The tracks are long (too long) but they don't grow. You add plates to your bar just like in "pure" strength training.

I think it's just a semantics thing. Most authorities recommend we add resistance/strength training, not "pure lifting". BP easily qualifies.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Strength happens with progressive overload and lower reps than Bodypump asks for.

As mentioned, anyone doing physical lifting exercise is doing some sort of resistance training, but Bodypump is more attuned to higher repetitions and this activates more the slow twitch than fast twitch muscle fibers. Fast twitch is activated more when "explosive" movements are done.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I did body pump for a while. I had no upper body strength either and did see some muscle growth. I got to a point though where I stalled. I then switched to lifting heavy. I hate to say it but I had to relearn a lot of things. They teach you to not squat low, my OHP was really bad before I got with a trainer. I would encourage you to do starting strength and work with a trainer to learn proper technique.

Good for you getting into a strength program.

IMO Body Pump IS a cardio program. Strength/Hypertrophy occurs in the 5-12 rep range, not in the 20+ rep range that is Body Pump. 20+ reps is for Muscle Endurance. I am yet to see anyone gain significant strength or hypertrophy gains from Body Pump. Just take a look at the instructors and the participants in the class. I know at the gym I train at there's a big difference between the way I look and the Body Pump instructors look (Not to sound arrogant-point is, I train for strength/hypertrophy, they do not...)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    In Body Pump, you do make it harder over time. The tracks are long (too long) but they don't grow. You add plates to your bar just like in "pure" strength training.

I think it's just a semantics thing. Most authorities recommend we add resistance/strength training, not "pure lifting". BP easily qualifies.

if you are satisfied with that- then have at it.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I don't do it much but I've done it. It's overkill and it's not designed for hypertrophy but it absolutely checks off the box for strength training, in my opinion and in the study I linked to.

It's hard to do the class and not see that but I don't think most here with strong opinions on it being cardio have done it.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Options
    It's hard to do the class and not see that but I don't think most here with strong opinions on it being cardio have done it.

I've done a class....it's cardio.....
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Options
    I don't do it much but I've done it. It's overkill and it's not designed for hypertrophy but it absolutely checks off the box for strength training, in my opinion and in the study I linked to.

Forget to add, quote from your study...
    'During the 12 week training period all subjects took the same BodyPump class taught by the same instructor. The weight initially used was 10% of their 1RM squat weight. This weight was increased by 5% every two weeks. The weights for upper body exercises were adjusted according to the instructor’s discretion.

Results:
    • No changes in body mass and body fat

No change in body mass = NO MUSCLE GAIN. So How again is this strength training? You don't strength train w/10% of your 1RM. That's ridiculous - why even bother? LOL
    • 33% improvement in 1RM squat strength

I call complete BS on this. I have never in all the research I've done heard of anyone improving any lift by 33% in 12 weeks, much less from a cardio program. Wow, so if I want to add 50+ lbs to my Squats I should have been doing Body Pump all this time instead of a progressive strength training program. Wow - I guess I'm doing it wrong! :huh:
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I don't think strength gains require gain in muscle mass. I don't think the recommendation for resistance training for general health refers to increasing muscle mass.

People can choose to go for hypertrophy over strength but it doesn't make strength training cardio.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

I've done a class....it's cardio.....

I just did it at lunch. It's cardio :)
    It's training for endurance, not strength.
    I do this on my OFF lifting days.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't consider it strength training...but I would call it resistence which is great if that's what you want.

It does have a high cardio element to it tho...
    don't think strength gains require gain in muscle mass. I don't think the recommendation for resistance training for general health refers to increasing muscle mass.

People can choose to go for hypertrophy over strength but it doesn't make strength training cardio.

And I agree...I have gained a lot of strength but no muscle mass in the last year.

I recommend resistence and/or strength training to friends to help preserve muscle mass not gain it and for overall health esp later in life.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just because all strength training is some type of resistance training, does not mean that all resistance training is strength training.

Resistance training does not mean strength training! There is a lot of cross over between the two, but they are not the same.

I would describe body pump as resistance cardio training or muscle endurance training. Will it help overal fitness, sure it will, and is much better than doing nothing, and in general I would take it over many forms of cardio that use no resistance, unless you are training for or wanting to get better at something like biking or running, then the actual act would be better. So it depends a lot on your goals.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Just because all strength training is some type of resistance training, does not mean that all resistance training is strength training.

Resistance training does not mean strength training! There is a lot of cross over between the two, but they are not the same.

I would describe body pump as resistance cardio training or muscle endurance training. Will it help overal fitness, sure it will, and is much better than doing nothing, and in general I would take it over many forms of cardio that use no resistance, unless you are training for or wanting to get better at something like biking or running, then the actual act would be better. So it depends a lot on your goals.

I tend to lump the two together as equal- but you make a valid point.

I especially think the last part is important- and it's really what's the issue at hand.... it depends on your goals.

And while I don't think anyone CARES what someone choses to do- it's more important to understand this class will not be getting you the strength training you think it does. It makes me crazy when women start talking about how they love the strength training they get and the burn from body pump... and they don't understand it's not doing for them what they think it is- that's the biggest issue. ... imo.