Golden Sneakers Recipes

Options
CALIECAT
CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
I am are starting this thread for some has show an interest in it.And to help us find the recipes.
We will not change month just a running thread.So no one will have to change month every month If we reach 500 they will just Open up part 2 for us So who going to be first.We have quite a few on our regular thread if some one like Buzz would copy and paste for us.

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,952 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

Apple-butternut squash (or pumpkin) soup

1 medium onion, diced
    1 butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled, seeded, and chopped (cut in half and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees for easier peeling and chopping) or equivalent amount of pumpkin
    3 red or golden apples, cored and chopped
    1½ teaspoons ground cumin
    ½ teaspoon ground ginger
    ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
    ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
    2½ cups water, plus more if needed

1. Put onion and squash in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken stock, cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes.

2. Add apples, cumin, ginger, cayenne, black pepper, and the water (just enough to cover). Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until vegetables are very soft, about 30 minutes.

3. Puree in batches in a food processor or blender until smooth or don’t puree and just serve it chunky, and return to saucepan. Heat for a little longer, thinning with more water if necessary.

4. To serve, ladle into shallow bowls; garnish with diced apples, jalapeno slices, and sour cream if desired.

smiley-happy110.gif
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,952 Member
    Options
    Barbie’s Homemade Applesauce

*as many apples (cored and sliced) as you need to fill a 4 quart pot
    *2 cups of water

1. Core and slice the apples (leave the skin on)
    2. Heat apples and water, covered, on high heat for 10 minutes
    3. Turn heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes
    4. Continue to heat on low, uncovered, for 40 minutes
    5. Serve warm, or cool in refrigerator, or put in glass jars, or plastic containers, or freezer bags to freeze for up to a year
    6. You can add cinnamon while cooking or make the applesauce plain and add cinnamon when you serve it.
    Barbie’s Homemade Applesauce

*as many apples (cored and sliced) as you need to fill a 4 quart pot
    *2 cups of water

1. Core and slice the apples (leave the skin on)
    2. Heat apples and water, covered, on high heat for 10 minutes
    3. Turn heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes
    4. Continue to heat on low, uncovered, for 40 minutes
    5. Serve warm, or cool in refrigerator, or put in glass jars, or plastic containers, or freezer bags to freeze for up to a year
    6. You can add cinnamon while cooking or make the applesauce plain and add cinnamon when you serve it.

smiley-happy110.gif
  • Oldbat61
    Oldbat61 Posts: 141
    Options
    I am are starting this thread for some has show an interest in it.And to help us find the recipes.
    We will not change month just a running thread.So no one will have to change month every month If we reach 500 they will just Open up part 2 for us So who going to be first.We have quite a few on our regular thread if some one like Buzz would copy and paste for us.

Thank you so much for setting this up; I look forward to sampling some of your recipes from across the water! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Pam:heart::heart:
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Pancakes:

Prep Time: 15 minutes, Cook Time: 15 minutes, Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

1 cup whole wheat flour
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1 quarter cup egg beaters (or 1 large egg, lightly beaten - add 7 calories per pancake)
    1 tbsp canola oil
    1 cup water (can substitute skim milk - add 9 calories per pancake)
    1/3 cup pure pumpkin (If canned, buy salt free)
    Preparation:

Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg together in a medium bowl. Combine egg, oil, milk and pumpkin in a small bowl. Stir pumpkin mixture into dry ingredients. Leave to stand for five minutes.
    For each pancake, scoop 1/4 cup of batter on to a hot griddle or nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray. Turn pancakes when bubbles appear and edges are cooked, after about 2 minutes. Cook for 1 1/2 minutes on second side.

Makes 10 pancakes.

Per pancake: Calories 79, Total Fat 1.6g Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 143mg, Carbohydrate 14g, Fiber 1.6g,

Note - you can significantly reduce the sodium in this recipe by using low sodium baking powder - something we should all do.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Moist Whole Wheat Banana Bread Recipe and Instructions:
    Be sure to use ultra ripe bananas for this. Their skins should be mottled black and they should feel soft to the touch. Using what you would normally consider to be ripe bananas will diminish the bread’s rich flavor.

½ cup (1 stick or 4 ounces) unsalted butter
    ½ cup (3 ¾ ounces) packed light or dark brown sugar
    ¾ teaspoon baking soda
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 ½ cups (~ 12 ounces) mashed ripe banana (3-4 medium to large bananas)
    ¼ cup (3 ounces) honey
    2 large eggs
    2 cups (8 ounces) whole wheat flour, traditional or white whole wheat
    ½ cups (2 ounces) chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Lightly grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.

Beat together the butter, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth. Add the banana, honey and eggs, beating until smooth. Add the flour and nuts, stirring until smooth. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and let it rest at room temperature, uncovered for 10 minutes.

Bake the bread for 50 minutes. Lay a piece of foil gently across the top and bake until a cake tester (like a toothpick) inserted into the center comes out clean, 10 to 15 minutes more. Remove the bread from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes before turning it out of the pan onto a rack to cool completely. I don't have the nutricion value on this Just eat in moderation----marie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Cranberry corn bread

1 pkg of jiffy cornbread mix
    1 egg
    1/3 c milk
    1/2 c chopped fresh cranberry
    Spray muffin tim with Pan or grease with butter Makes 6
    Conbine and baked in a 400 degree oven for 15 to 25 minutes I like mine nice and brown
    Let rest in psan for 5 to 10 minutes don't know the calories count I enjoy 1 with my soup
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    Cranberry corn bread

1 egg
    1/3 c milk
    Conbine and baked in a 400 degree oven for 15 to 25 minutes I like mine nice and brown
    Let rest in psan for 5 to 10 minutes don't know the calories count I enjoy 1 with my soup
    If made with 1% milk the calorie breakdown is as follows:

Calories: 173 Total Fat: 28g Carbs 4g Fiber: 2g Sodium 340g Sugar: 7g

Use skim milk, and egg beaters instead of egg to get calories down. Can't do much about the sodium.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks Connie, The box said 150 calories and I didn't figure the fresh cranberries had very much. the sodium in the eggbeaters are lot higher than a fresh fresh eggs has more Calories tho..
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    This is in memory for my dear sweet Mom Who used to makes these every Christmas for gifta to friends and neigbors.. And for us.
    My monm and dad would go out picking pecans and he would help her pick them out. I never got the recipe and the angels lead me to this site and it sounds exactly like the ones she made. I don't like fruit cake with all the currants in them but this one just have nuts and dates Very good I will be making one as soon as I gather all the stuff up . Our pecan tree did not produce any pecans this year.

DATE NUT CAKE

1 lb. seeded dates
    1 lb. (3 c.) pecan or walnut halves
    1 c. flour
    2 rounded tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt (can be omitted for diets)
    1 c. granulated sugar
    4 eggs, beaten separately
    1 tsp. vanilla

Beat until light, yolks of eggs and sugar; sift flour, baking powder, salt. Add to first mixture with vanilla, dates and nuts. When well blended, fold in stiffly beaten egg whites gently until well mixed. Bake in 10-inch well-greased tube pan at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
    Can be divided and baked in loaf pans. Recipe is over 100 years old. A special cake for the holidays or any time. Cool cake. Slice thin slices with sharp knife. No calories info.

:
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    So glad you did this, Marie, and as soon as I have a moment, I'll copy and paste! Gotta run, but my best to "the gang"! :love: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • viliberty1957
    Options
    Cranberry corn bread

1 egg
    1/3 c milk

I think I need to try this one for sure.
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    Catfish Stew

Can't live in the Ozarks and not have a "special" catfish recipe. Mine is Catfish Stew. Made it for dinner tonight and, even tweaked to make it lower in fat and sodium, it was still very good.

Ingredients:

8 ounces of catfish fillets or catfish chunks.
    6 small fresh tomatoes or one 14.5 oz can of low salt diced tomatoes
    1 small onion, diced
    1 rib celery, diced
    1 clove garlic, finely diced
    1 cup of julienned baby carrots
    2/3 cup of frozen whole kernel corn
    1/2 cup of frozen baby lima beans
    2 C of low sodium chicken broth or two cups of water and two envelopes of Herbox Sodium Free Chicken Buillon.
    1/2 tsp of Tabasco sauce, or Cajun seasonings to taste.
    2 C of cooked brown rice

Peel, seed and dice tomatoes to yield, 2 cups chopped. You could use canned diced tomatoes, but watch the sodium content or buy low salt version.

Saute onion, garlic, celery and carrots in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cut catfish into two inch chunks and add to the pan. Continue to saute the fish, making sure each piece has come in contact with the pan. Transfer ingredients into a stew or soup pot. Add corn, lima beans, tomatoes, Tabasco/Cajun seasonings and broth.

Simmer over low heat until liquid begins to reduce (about 20 minutes).

Ladle stew over 1/2 C brown rice in individual serving bowls and enjoy!
    Serves 4

Haven't figured out all the nutrition information yet but the stew itself is less than 150 calories per serving. You can also substitute baby red potatoes for the rice. Quarter and toss them right in with the rest of the vegetables. If catfish isn't available in your area, use any other firm fleshed fish or use shrimp or scallops.
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    Catfish Stew

Haven't figured out all the nutrition information yet but the stew itself is less than 150 calories per serving. You can also substitute baby red potatoes for the rice. Quarter and toss them right in with the rest of the vegetables. If catfish isn't available in your area, use any other firm fleshed fish or use shrimp or scallops.

Here's the nutrition breakdown, sans the brown rice:

2zqqy9u.jpg
  • viliberty1957
    Options
    :smile:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Thanks All:flowerforyou:
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,062 Member
    Options
    Marking my spot.....I don't cook that good but like to look at new recipes. :laugh:
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    Ratatouille

I mentioned to Marie that we really like Ratatouille - a kind of vegetable stew and in the hot days of summer eat it cold with a chunk of French bread or a crusty roll. Or it can be served warm as a side dish with a slice of medium rare roast beef, or a braised chicken breast.

Here's how I fix it. It's based on a recipe from the Culinary Institute. Notice that it takes more time to prepare the veggies than it does to make the Ratatouille. Of course you will scrub and wash all the veggies before you start to cook. Use fresh parsley and basil if you have it. Remove the leaves from the stems and discard the stems.

Ingredients:

6 cloves garlic (mince)
    1 medium (200 g) onion (dice)
    1 Tbs. (16 g) tomato paste
    3/4 cup (180 mL) chicken or vegetable stock - I use Herbox salt free chicken bouillon to make my stock
    1 large (450 g) eggplant (dice)
    1 medium (140 g) zucchini (quarter the long way & slice)
    5 medium (100 g) fresh brown mushrooms (I use cremini, quartered or portabella, diced)
    1 medium (150 g) green bell pepper (seed and dice)
    14-1/2 oz. (411 g) can reduced sodium diced tomatoes (drain)
    5 sprigs Italian (flat-leaf) parsley (chop)
    4 sprigs Basil (chop)
    salt & pepper

Prepare your veggies before you begin to cook.

In 2 Tbs. olive oil saute garlic (1 minutes) and then onion over medium heat until translucent (4-5 min). Add tomato paste and mix in and cook until color deepens (1 min) You'll see it change. When the paste starts to stick to the bottom of the pan it is time to deglaze the pan with the stock. Make sure you get all the little brown bits loosened from the bottom of the pan.

Add prepared vegetables and mushrooms and simmer, stirring often until vegetables are tender (10-12 min). The egg plant will add a lot of liquid, and the vegetables will simmer in this juice.

Add drained tomatoes, stir in and heat until warm (1 min)

Add parsley and basil, stir in and take off heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

If you eat this as a main dish, it will serve two or three. If served as a side dish, then four to six. Very low in calories and fat as it is primarily vegetables.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hello I made the date nut cake yesterday and burn it to a crisp. I am baking 1/2 of the recipe today and lower my oven to 3oo degree instead of 350 and watch it real good I think it was 1 hr plus some more, I baked it till the tooth pick came out clean. Looks real good.
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    "Nuts and Bolts" - the Healthy Version.
    16 servings of about 2/3 cup each.

Ingredients
    1/4 cup pecans
    1/4 cup cashew pieces
    1/4 cup walnut pieces
    1/4 cup whole almonds
    1/4 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts
    4 cups crispy rice cereal
    4 cups mini pretzels
    5 tablespoons butter
    4 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Method
    Preheat oven to 225°F.

In a large bowl combine pecans, cashews, walnuts, almonds, peanuts, rice cereal, and pretzels.

Melt butter and add Worcestershire sauce, pour over dry ingredients and mix well.

Sprinkle with salt and bake on a cookie sheet for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool completely then store in airtight bags.

Per serving: 159 calories (78 from fat), 9g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 10mg cholesterol, 363mg sodium, 18g total carbohydrate (1g dietary fiber, 17g sugar), 3g protein
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    :blushing: So I finally found this recipe thread right on MY OWN "MY TOPICS" !!!:laugh: Here's the recipe for the Bean Soup!

RECIPE for 17 Bean and Barley Soup (with my additions)

1 Package Trader Joe's Bean and Barley Soup (I think any 16 oz pkg of dry mix will do)
    2 32 oz container Kitchen Basics Chicken Broth (no salt added) I used some of my homemade broth (use YOUR favorite broth!)
    1 C chopped onion (I sometimes buy ready chopped in Produce Dept)
    1 C chopped celery "
    1 C carrots coarsely cut
    1 C green pepper chopped "
    1 tsp dried basil
    1 or more cloves chopped garlic
    2 TBSP olive oil
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (I use more)
    1 can diced tomato ( might get the 28oz can next time) look for low salt
    pepper to taste (and salt, if you use it.)

SOAK BEANS OVERNIGHT! This gets rid of gas, as well as softening beans! Fill water at least 2 inches above bean level. BIG POT!
    DRAIN and rinse in colander. Use same pot (dried) to saute the onions, celery, carrots, peppers basil and garlic in the olive oil until
    soft.
    ADD bay leaf, tomatoes, and Italian seasoning, along with the beans and 2 qts broth (you could use vegetable broth, also)
    SIMMER, covered until soft, anywhere from 1 to 3 hours, depending on how blended you like it! After 1 hour, tilt cover to allow slight
    evaporation, but keep checking liquid level and add more broth if necessary (keep a bit from the original amount)
    You can add any kind of chicken, beef, or well soaked ham (to lower sodium) I added meatballs the
    second day, and it was delicious! Just 2 per person filled us up! :wink:
    Buzz