Golden Sneakers Recipes

Options

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!! :bigsmile: Gloomy day here but it is supposed to get near 80 over the weekend, with rain. :explode:

Had a busy morning but I did go back to shredding and decided to try level 3, it is a killer and I had to stop on some stuff but hope to work my way to be able to do it all even if it is the beginner level. :tongue: I am going to go ride the bike to make up for some more calories. We are going to soup and salad at our Church tonight with the 5 year old and her mother. Since I don't know what ingredients are in the soups it might be hard to record so I better have a big leeway. :bigsmile:

Maddie, continued prayers for you and your mom, I hope you both feel better soon. :heart:

Gigi, amazing comeback, you are right on track and a good role model. :flowerforyou:

Marie, thanks for helping me out with that senior moment and forgiving me for making you old. :blushing: I think your mouse is playing a cat and mouse game with you, but if you still have a warranty it might be best to just take it in and have them look at it for you. :love: By the way Marie, I loved your picture of the "mature' lady. :heart:

Deb, thank you for sharing that story. I wish the unhealthy people in my life would listen but it is impossible to control people and if they don't want help there is nothing we can do. :cry:

Phoebe, in your spare time :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: you can make a chart of our ups and downs.

Buzz, Hip hip hooray!! What a great accomplishment!! We couldn't be more proud of you!!! Not only a beautiful, smart lady with years of experience, but now another goal on its way. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Have you tried right clicking on the reply button and open a new window? I put them side by side so I can see all the posts and try to reply to them all. Just a suggestion. :heart: :heart:

Elli, glad you got back to hot yoga, you seem to love that more than anything. I don't think I could take the heat, I have to put my ceiling fan on just to do the shred. :ohwell: So glad you get to spend some time with your soldier and his family. I see on face book that they are trying to withhold pay for our military and hope everyone on face book reads and stops that. :angry:

Barbie, hope all is going well on your trip. We know for a fact you won't go over on calories and will be walking as much as possible. We miss you but hope you are having fun. :flowerforyou:

Jackie, that picture was out of this world, is that really the view from your cottage? I was imagining you covered from head to toe in a bee suit with a big mesh face mask, but it doesn't look like that on your profile. :blushing: I am really good when the kids are around and I tell them the bees won't hurt them, but inside I am afraid someone will get stung. Just one of my silly fears of little creatures. :tongue:

Connie, OMG, what an amazing weight loss in one week!!! You rock girlfriend!! Isn't it just a great feeling when the scale finally decided to make a move??? All our hard work will pay off, we just have to have patience. I am so happy for you and wish you continued success!!! Now you can go to Victoria Secret and get some of those sexy undies. :laugh: :laugh:

Judi, you have such a way with words and recipes, what may I ask is Toad in the hole??? Have fun with number 2 son and his partner. Isn't Fleur the name of the girl from Harry Potter??? Yes, I am a big fan of Harry Potter. :blushing:

Half the day is done, I still want to ride the bike and take a shower. By then it will be dinner time and I still haven't eaten lunch.
    Where does the time go when we get older????

Have a great day!!
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    CONNIE'S Chicken “ALFREDO” 2 generous servings

In sauté pan, brown
    1/4 c green onion, diced
    5 large mushrooms, sliced
    1 TBSP olive oil
    Set aside
    in same pan, brown
    1 Large Chicken Breast, cut into 1/2 “ wide strips
    Prepare whole wheat angel hair separately
    Add
    1 c steamed broccoli, and mushrooms/onion to chicken
    Turn heat low
    In a small bowl, whisk together
    1/2 c Fage 0% yogurt
    1/2 c low sodium chicken broth'
    2 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese
    Pour over chicken, broccoli mixture and heat until warm
    ( will curdle if too hot )
    Drain, and add hot pasta to the pan. Combine and serve

calories – about 380
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers Recipe
    Yogurt Cheese Greek Yogurt
    This cheese is extraordinarily versatile, substituting for cream cheese and for sour cream; you'll find it used in several recipes.
    Makes 4 Servings
    3 cups plain nonfat yogurt - no gelatin in yogurt
    Spoon the yogurt into a coffee filter or cheese-cloth line sieve; place over a bowl. Refrigerate, covered with plastic wrap, several hours. Discard the liquid.
    Per serving: 73 calories, 0 g total fat, 0 g Saturated fat, 2.5 mg Cholesterol, 86 mg Sodium, 8 g Total carbohydrate, 0 g Dietary Fiber, 9 g Protein, 249 mg Calcium. Points per serving 1 (not points plus)
    Tip: the longer you drain the yogurt cheese, the thicker it will be - for sour cream consistency, drain 6-8 hours; for cream cheese consistency, drain about 24 hours. Have not figure out how much 1/4 of the recipe is yeet
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Five Minute Key Lime Pie

Prep Time: 5 minutes
    Total Time: 3 hours 45 minutes
    Servings: 8

Ingredients
    1/4 cup water
    1 package (4-serving size) sugar-free lime-flavor gelatin
    2 containers (6 oz.) fat-free key lime pie yogurt
    1 tub (8 oz.) frozen reduced-fat non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
    1 Keebler® Ready Crust® Reduced Fat Graham Pie Crust

Directions
    1. In microwave-safe measuring cup heat water on high (100% power) for 45 seconds to 1 1/2 minutes or until boiling. Whisk in gelatin until dissolved.

2. In large bowl whisk together gelatin mixture and yogurt. Fold in whipped topping. Carefully spread in crust. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or until set.
    Carefully spread in crust. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or until set.

3. Garnish as desired. Store in refrigerator.

NUTRITION FACTS:
    Calories 160
    Total Fat 3.5g
    sat fat 0.5g
    Sodium 115mg
    Total carbohydrate 27 g
    sugar 13g
    Protein 2g

vitamin A 0% Calcium 2%
    vitamin C 0% Iron 0%

This was easy and delicious, and I used nonfat whipped topping and it tasted delicious!

Buzz
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    gW4rrl.jpg

Soak mung beans overnight to soften and shorten cooking time. If you forget, it's OK - just cook them until they are soft.
    While the beans are cooking, peal and quarter potatoes and cook in water until fork tender. While these things are cooking, peal two medium size carrots and cut into coins. Slick two zucchini into coins. Dice three stalks of celery, and chop one half good sized white onion. In a tablespoon of olive oil, saute the raw vegetables. When they are not quite cooked through (you want some crunch), remove from the heat and set aside. In the same pan, brown 8 ounces of skinless, boneless chicken breast, cubed. By the time you're finished, the beans and potatoes should be ready. Rinse both, and add along with the chicken to the dish with the vegetables. This recipe makes 2-1/2 quarts (10 cups) so make sure your bowl is large enough. Add the vegetable broth. If you don't make your own, buy low-sodium vegetable broth at the store. You'll have to factor in the sodium.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pour all ingredients into a 2-1/2 quart casserole and bake for 30 minutes, or until it is bubbly.

This is really good, and really low in calories and fat, high in protein. If you want a vegetarian version, simply leave out the chicken and deduct 22 calories per serving.

Serve with a crispy salad on the side.

Makes 10, 1 cup servings.
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    SKILLET CHICKEN SOUVLAKI

Skillet Chicken Souvlaki

YIELD: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup chicken mixture, 1/4 cup sauce, 1 pita, and about 1/4 cup tomatoes) ...TOTAL:20 MINUTES
    Ingredients
    1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
    1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, thinly sliced
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 1/2 cups vertically sliced onion (about 1 medium)
    1 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper (about 1)
    2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 cup grated English cucumber
    1/4 cup 2% Greek-style yogurt (such as Fage)
    1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    4 (6-inch) whole-wheat soft pitas, cut in half
    2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
    Preparation
    1. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Add chicken to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until done. Remove from pan.
    2. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 3 minutes. Add chicken, garlic, and oregano; cook 30 seconds.
    3. Combine cucumber and next 6 ingredients (through 1/8 teaspoon salt). Serve chicken mixture with yogurt sauce, warmed pita, and tomato slices.

Salad: Combine 5 cups torn romaine lettuce, 1/3 cup sliced red onion, and 3 sliced pepperoncini peppers. Combine 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss with salad. Top with 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese and 3 tablespoons halved kalamata olives.
    Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 361 Carbohydrate: 39g
    Fat: 7.4g Fiber: 4.7g Saturated fat: 2.3g Cholesterol: 72mg
    Monounsaturated fat: 3.3g Sodium: 589mg
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g Calcium: 105mg
    Protein: 35.1g Iron: 3 .1mg

Good summer eating!
    Buzz
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Here's a yummy dessert for South Beach Diet Phase 1 (or 2 or 3)

Coconut-Almond Macaroons (Phase 1)

Description
    Almonds add vitamin E, riboflavin, and magnesium to these delicious flourless cookies. For additional filling protein, enjoy the macaroons with a glass of fat-free or 1% milk. On Phase 2, drizzle them with a little melted dark chocolate!

Makes 8 servings (3 macaroons each)

Hands-on time: 10 minutes
    Total time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
    3 ounces slivered almonds (generous 2/3 cup)
    1 1/4 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
    1/2 cup granular sugar substitute
    Generous pinch salt
    1/4 cup nonfat (0%) plain Greek yogurt
    1 large egg white
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions
    Heat the oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick liner.

In a mini food processor, pulse the almonds just until ground. Transfer to a medium bowl and add the coconut, sugar substitute, and salt, stirring to combine. Stir in the yogurt, egg white, and vanilla.

Pinch off pieces of dough the size of small walnuts and form into rough balls. Place the balls 2" apart on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and set. Let cool on the baking sheet.

Nutritional information
    Per macaroon:
    50 calories
    4 g fat (2 g sat)
    1 g protein
    2 g carbohydrate
    1 g fiber
    17 mg sodium
  • energy4life
    Options
    I am excited! Thanks
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    ANOTHER RECIPE for SOUTH BEACH DIETERS...or Mediterranean diets! :bigsmile:

VEGETABLE MOUSSAKA (South Beach-phase 1) makes 4 servings
    from South Beach Diet SUPERCHARGED

LENTILS provide protein, fiber and rich meaty taste!

1 large eggplant, cut in 1/4" rounds 1 tsp dried oregano
    2 tsp extra virgin olive oil 1/4 tsp cinnamon (I used 1/2 tsp)
    1 large onion, chopped 1/4 tsp salt (didn't use it; used lemon juice instead)
    4 garlic cloves, minced freshly ground black pepper
    1 15 oz can lentils, drained (I use Westbrae) 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
    1 can diced tomatoes w/juices (I use no salt added) 2 large eggs
    1/4 cup chopped parsley 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
    HEAT oven to 425F
    Lightly coat eggplant slices with cooking spray (I used Olive Oil), arrange on a baking sheet and bake until softened and golden, about 20-25 minutes ...Remove and reduce heat to 350 F.
    MEANWHILE, in large saucepan heat oil over medium heat, add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. ADD lentils. tomatoes, parsley. oregano, cinnamon, (salt) and pinch of pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes.
    WHILE all are cooking, using a medium bowl
    whisk together half-and-half, eggs, 2 TBSP of the cheese, and nutmeg.
    LIGHTLY COAT 8x8" baking dish with cooking spray, ARRANGE 1/3 eggplant slices in single layer at bottom. Spread 1/2 the lentil mixture over the top. Add another 1/3 eggplant slices over this and then the rest of the lentil mixture . Add the rest of the eggplant over the top.
    POUR half-and-half mixture over vegetables, SPRINKLE with remaining Parmesan. Cover with aluminum foil
    BAKE, covered, 20 minutes; remove foil and bake 10-15 minutes longer until heated through and golden on top.
    LET STAND another 15 minutes before cutting; serve warm

Nutritional values: per serving (4)
    Calories 230
    Fat 7 gr
    Sat fat 2 gr
    carbs 30 gr
    fiber 12 gr
    Sodium 296 gr (mine was much lower using no salt added or reduuced ssodium)
    Protein 14 gr

NOTE: I added 1/2 pound of 97/3 ground round (or use lamb, ground) along with the onions and garlic, for appeasing my husband, and it was delicious! Just add the nutritional values divided by 4!

Can be made ahead and frozen; just double or triple the recipe. Cut Moussaka into portions before freezing up to 3 months.
    When ready to eat, thaw at room temperature, reheat in microwave or toaster oven.

cooked, tasted and approved by
    Buzz
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks Buzz now go to see if I got a male or female eggplant, Thanks for the recipe I don't think i got all it takes for it but I can make do. Will fixed it tomorrow.
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Here's a delicious recipe for anyone celebrating Rosh Hashanah...or just wanting to try the brisket! Not low in calories, but sodium is pretty good! And 52 gr protein. WOW! It's a great dish for company, too!

Brisket with figs and butternut squash
    .....Make the brisket at least one day ahead because the meat is easier to cut into thin slices after it is has chilled.

Prep: 50 minutes
    Cook: 3 hours, 45 minutes
    Chill: overnight
    Servings: 10

Ingredients:
    1 first-cut brisket, 4-5 pounds
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground pepper
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    4 onions, thinly sliced
    4 carrots, peeled, sliced
    1 butternut squash, about 2 pounds, peeled, seeded, cut into 2-inch cubes
    8 cloves garlic, halved lengthwise
    1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
    1 1/2 cups dry red wine, such as cabernet sauvignon or merlot
    12 fresh figs, stemmed, halved, or 8 dried mission figs, stemmed, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons balsamic glaze, see recipe below
    2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley

1. Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Season brisket with the salt and pepper to taste. Heat the oil in a roasting pan over medium-high heat. Brown the brisket, 4 minutes per side.

2. Add the onions, carrots, squash, garlic, thyme, wine and figs to the pan; stir to combine. Cover; bake until the meat is fork-tender, 3-3 1/2 hours. Let cool. Place the meat in one container and the sauce, vegetables and figs in another; refrigerate overnight.

3. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the meat against the grain into thin slices. Overlap the slices in an ovenproof, high-sided serving dish. Remove any accumulated fat from the sauce. Place the sauce and other ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until slightly thickened, 3-5 minutes. Add the balsamic glaze. Taste; adjust seasonings. Pour over the meat. Reheat in oven until the sauce is bubbling, about 30 minutes. Garnish with parsley.

Balsamic glaze: Place 2 cups inexpensive balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan on high heat. Reduce until syrupy, 12-14 minutes. Cool; keeps refrigerated up to 1 month.

Nutrition information:
    Per serving: 731 calories, 16 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 97 mg cholesterol, 103 g carbohydrates, 52 g protein, 123 mg sodium, 10 g fiber.
    BUZZ
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Cabbage SoupMy husband was never too fond of cabbage—until the first time he tried this recipe from my aunt. Now he even asks me to make this soup!—Nancy Stevens, Morrison, Illinois20 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
    Ingredients
    1 medium head cabbage, chopped
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 cup chopped onion
    8 cups water
    1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
    1 tablespoon salt
    2 teaspoons pepper
    1-1/2 pounds ground beef, browned and drained
    2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1/4 cup ketchup
    Directions
    •In a large Dutch oven, cook the cabbage, celery and onion in water
    until tender. Add bouillon, salt, pepper, beef and tomato sauce.
    Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in brown
    sugar and ketchup; simmer another 10 minutes or until heated
    through. Yield: 16-20 servings (5 quarts).

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 80 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 567 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.

From taste of home online recipes Lots of nice recipes.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link MARIE. I am going to try that cabbage soup.
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    I'll add several recipes I received from my Low Sodium email

Italian Steak

Serve this over pasta or just stir some pre-cooked pasta in along with
    the zucchini.

2 lb Round Steak
    1/4 t Black Pepper
    1 Onion,Sliced
    1 Green Bell Peppers,Cut In Strips
    28 oz Low Sodium Spaghetti Sauce (If you can find Flora No salt added, it's great!)
    1 c Zucchini,Sliced

Cut beef into serving sized pieces. Sprinkle with pepper. Layer beef,
    onion and pepper in slow cooker. Pour sauce over. Cover and cook on low
    8-10 hours. Stir in zucchini, cover, turn heat to high and cook 15-20
    minutes more, until zucchini is tender.

Yield: 6 Servings

Per Serving:
    273 Calories
    31 g Protein
    10 g Total Fat
    3 g Saturated Fat
    1 g Polyunsaturated Fat
    4 g Monounsaturated Fat
    15 g Carbohydrates
    3.2 g Fiber
    79 mg Sodium
    791 mg Potassium
    85 mg Cholesterol

Greek Beef And Eggplant Stew

This is a Greek style stew adapted for the crockpot. The spices give it
    the characteristic Mediterranean flavor. The eggplant will be very
    soft. This is terrific served over a thick pasta, like penne or
    rigatoni.

2 lb Stew Beef,cut in 1 1/2 inch chunks
    2 medium onions,sliced thin
    2 ea garlic,minced
    1/4 c olive oil
    2 Eggplant,Cut In 1" Cubes
    1 c Low Sodium Beef Broth
    8 oz No Salt Added Tomato Sauce
    1 T red wine vinegar
    3/4 t sugar
    1/2 t cinnamon
    1/8 t allspice
    1/8 t ground cloves
    1/4 c minced parsley

Wash the eggplant, peel, just cut into 1 inch cubes. In large skillet,
    brown the beef, onions, garlic and eggplant in olive oil until dark
    golden-brown; drain. Place in crockpot. Combine the beef broth with
    the tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar and spices and stir it into the meat.
    6. Cover and cook on low heat for 8-10 hours. If serving with pasta,
    prepare pasta, pour onto a large serving platter and cover with meat,
    eggplant and sauce Sprinkle minced parsley over.

Yield: 8 Servings

Per Serving:
    480 Calories
    34 g Protein
    33 g Total Fat
    11 g Saturated Fat
    2 g Polyunsaturated Fat
    16 g Monounsaturated Fat
    12 g Carbohydrates
    4 g Fiber
    92 mg Sodium
    599 mg Potassium
    111 mg Cholesterol

Crock Pot Beef Burgundy

A great beef and noodles dish, so easy to prepare in your crockpot. The
    beef gets very tender from the long cooking process.

4 sl Low Sodium Bacon
    2 lb beef stew meat
    2 carrots,cut into chunks
    1 onion,sliced
    1/2 c all-purpose flour
    1/2 t Marjoram
    1/4 t garlic powder
    1/4 t pepper
    1 c Low Sodium Beef Broth
    1/2 c Burgundy wine
    1 T Worcestershire sauce
    3 c Mushroom,Sliced
    16 oz Egg Noodles,uncooked
    2 T Fresh Parsley

Cook bacon until crisp; drain, and crumble. Place beef, bacon, carrots,
    and onions in the bottom of the crock pot. Whisk together flour,
    marjoram, garlic, and pepper with broth, wine and Worcestershire sauce.
    Pour mixture into crockpot. Cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce to low
    and cook for 5-6 hours. Add mushrooms to crock pot. Cook on high for 30
    minutes or until mushrooms are tender While mushrooms are cooking,
    prepare noodles according to package directions. Serve beef over
    noodles garnished with parsley, if desired.

Yield: 8 Servings

Per Serving:
    474 Calories
    40 g Protein
    22 g Total Fat
    8 g Saturated Fat
    1 g Polyunsaturated Fat
    9 g Monounsaturated Fat
    25 g Carbohydrates
    1.5 g Fiber
    129 mg Sodium
    560 mg Potassium
    135 mg Cholesterol

I never made OxTail anything, but it sounds delicious, and I guess I could find other cuts like beef shortribs, so I'm including this for anyone who loves soup!

Scottish Oxtail Soup

Oxtails may be difficult to find, although you might get some from an
    old-fashioned butcher or meat market. You can substitute inexpensive
    cuts of bone-in beef. Here, in the metropolitan Washington, DC area, I
    can occasionally get oxtails from the meat department at some of the
    Giant Food supermarkets. ****'s words)

1 lb oxtail,cut into pieces, surplus fat removed
    2 onions,chopped
    1 Carrot,chopped
    1/2 c Celery,chopped
    1 oz Unsalted Butter
    36 oz Low Sodium Beef Broth
    4 oz No Salt Added Tomato Sauce
    1 T Flour
    3 T Port Wine
    1 bay leaf
    2 T Fresh Thyme
    4 T Fresh Parsley
    2 Green Onion

To make the spice bag, place bay leaf, thyme, parsley (including
    stalks), one 4-inch piece celery stalk with leaves, and two whole green
    onions in the center of a square of double thickness cheesecloth. Fold
    up the sides of the cheesecloth and tie off the top very tightly to
    make a spice bag. Fry the oxtail pieces and the vegetables in the
    butter for a few minutes until lightly browned. Remove from heat. Pour
    the beef stock into a saucepan and add the fried oxtail and vegetables
    as well as the spice bag. Bring to the boil, and then transfer to a
    crockpot and cook on high for 1½-2 hours (or longer if necessary)
    until the meat is tender Strain the stock, cut all the meat from the
    bones and then return the stock and meat to the pan. Bring to the boil.
    Mix the flour and port together and add to the soup. Simmer for 5
    minutes before serving.

Yield: 6 Servings

Per Serving:
    86 Calories
    2 g Protein
    4 g Total Fat
    2 g Saturated Fat
    0 g Polyunsaturated Fat
    1 g Monounsaturated Fat
    9 g Carbohydrates
    1.8 g Fiber
    65 mg Sodium
    164 mg Potassium
    10 mg Cholesterol.

Buzz
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Steak Diane -servings 4---Prep Time 35 minutes/ Total Time 35 minutes

1 lb boneless strip steak, top loin, about 3/4" thick
    1/4 tsp ground pepper, or more to taste
    (1/8 tsp salt) optional...I added garlic
    1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
    3 cups mushrooms...mixed ****ake, oyster, cremini, and white (or your preference)
    1/2 c brandy...(I used Shiraz Cabernet wine, about 1/4 cup)
    15 oz reduced sodium beef broth (Kitchen Basics no salt added?)
    1 tsp soft butter
    1 tsp all purpose flour
    2 tsp Dijon mustard
    Optional chopped fresh chives for topping when serving

Season steaks both sides
    Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Reduce to medium, add steaks cook about 3 minutes per side for medium.
    Transfer to plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
    ADD mushrooms to pan and cook, stirring til golden brown and beginning to release juices, about 3 minutes.
    ADD brandy or wine and cook, stirring, until almost eveaporated ...then add broth, bring to a boil, cook 8-10 minutes til reduced.
    MEANWHILE, mash flour and soft butter with fork into a paste. WHISK mustard into pan when sauce is reduced about half, and ADDthe butter/flour paste , whisking a bit at a time until sauce thickens.
    REDUCE heat to medium low, return steak to pan, along with any accumulated juices, turn to coat with sauce, and cook
    until heated through.
    Top steak with sauce, add chives if wanted, and serve.
    CAL. 284...Total fat,11 g...Sat Fat, 3g...monounsaturated fat, 5g... Chol.52mg,...sodium (with salt added) 187...Carb. 5g...Fiber.1g...Protein. 25 g..,Potassium 508mg...Exchanges: Medium -fat Meat 3

Hope you like it. It's easier than it seems!
    Buzz
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Thanks Buzz. Sounds yummy.
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Here are 2 Greek seasoning mixes I've used, but the second one is my favorite!
    Both are Salt Free

Greek Seasoning -2 versions from allrecipes.com
    Ingredients
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 teaspoon dried mint
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
    1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
    1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic
    Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months.

Ingredients
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
    2 teaspoon dried thyme
    2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
    1 teaspoon onion pwdr
    1 teaspoon garlic pwdr
    1+ t paprika
    1/4 t cinnamon
    1/2 t black pepper
    (1 t cornstarch) - if you want to stick better
    I mixed this in a grinder to make a very fine mix, and use it on everything, from my morning spinach omelet to steaks, turkeyballs, really has become my favorite seasoning! The cornstarch keeps it from sticking, and it pours beautifully from an original Greek Seasoning container obtained years ago, but using huge amounts of salt...and sugar! I emptied that, and now make this mix about every 6 weeks and love it! Great on vegetables. couscous, rice, poultry, lamb, eggs...you name it
    Buzz
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    will haveo ake this. Have mst of the items need to gt the rest
    Thanks for sharing.
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    What a great thread! Thank you very much.
  • granbarrant
    granbarrant Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump