Potato chip substitute

Options
124»

Replies

• Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's banana chips are also really great and low in calories

Thats exactly what I was about to say!! I love them!!
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I like the veggie stix - there's a brand at Costco (cant remember) that are yummy and Snyders has an EatSmart brand that are pretty good. You can eat a lot (1 serving is 2 cups - which is way too huge to eat) and they taste pretty good.

I eat these too and since the serving size is quite large I can have some at lunch with a sandwich and then later as a snack. :smile:
  • LydiaShackelford
    LydiaShackelford Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Angie"s Boomchickapop Popcorn.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of apple chips.... I get the crunch I'm looking for and it's healthier. Although... I'm a huge supporter of IIFYM and not giving up things you really love...so why not buy the little snack bags and just bring those with you to work instead of getting the big one? That will take the temptation out of sitting there and polishing off 1000cal worth of chips.

Good luck!
  • pink192
    pink192 Posts: 2
    Options
    Here's one to try, sweet potato's?

These can be chips, crisps, wedges or baked!

Just cut the style chips - square and long, crisps - thin and round, wedges - well wedge shaped, baked - leave it whole.

So peel some sweet potatoes, chop into shapes above and place in a saucepan of salted water (not for crisps and baked).

Bring to the boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes until just tender.

Drain the sweet potato shapes, spray with Fry Light. Place on a pre-heated oven to 240°C/Gas 9, turn occassionlly until cooked (or as you like them).

For extra flavour on chips, crisps and wedges, you can crush spices and sprinkle over them.

Amounts per 1 cup (200g) is 181 Calories.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have actually found that homemade sweet potato chips are fabulous and pretty easy to make.

Using a mandolin slicer makes a huge difference as well because you will have a uniform slice. After I have sliced the potato (leaving the skin on) I toss in a TSP of EVOO, and add a little sea salt (sea salt goes a very long way) and then broil on high for 5 min. Toss them around a bit and put in for another 3-5 min depending on how crunchy I want them.

You have the added benefit of the healthy sweet potato (white potatoes are good for you as well, but I prefer doing this with the sweet), the good fat from the EVOO, and you still get the chips that you really want.
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options
    Get some tortillas, brush with olive oil, salt, and cheese/spices as you prefer, and chop them up into chip-sized bites. Bake at 350 until crispy. Boom. Homemade tortilla chips.

Barbeque: Rub with some BBQ sauce/paprika+brown sugar+steak sauce/ketchup before cooking.

Salt and Vinegar: Again with vinegar.

Sour Cream and Onion: Sprinkle with garlic salt rather than regular, and sprinkle on some onion powder.

Cool Ranch: Sprinkle on some powdered ranch.

Nacho: Sprinkle with grated cheddar, pepper, and onion powder.

Dill Pickle: Rub with pickle juice.

I hope these suggestions help!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    there is no appropriate substitute for potato chips. Unless it's Doritos.
  • Chipidies
    Chipidies Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's sells plantain chips for $1.69. I dip them in some salsa verde and forget my troubles...
  • mymfpesk
    mymfpesk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Quaker gluten free popcorn flavored rice cakes. My new best friend. I put PB on top. nomnomnom
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I resort to kale chips when I'm craving potato chips. Toss in olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, and bake on low heat for about an hour. So tasty and healthy!!
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Moon Pops (aka Magic Pops aka Deli Pops). You can get them at some Krogers or Central Markets, they are made in the store. They're rice cakes that look more like tortillas, only really crunchy. They come in several flavors (cinnamon, whole wheat, multigrain, etc) and one cake about 6" in diameter has 16 -20 calories. The serving is much bigger than a serving of potato chips for 120 calories. I spread them with a little PB2 (eat fast or they get a little soggy), and have a peanut butter/crunch fix for about 65 caloires. Yum! From livestrong.com: "The basic ingredients for Kim's Magic Pop, Original Flavor are: wheat flour, rice flour, tapicoa starch, white corn flour, water, sugar, brown rice, rice powder, salt, soybean oil, natural flavor and stevia. Each pop is about the size of a tortilla, and it is a low calorie, low fat snack. One serving has 15 calories, 0 g total fat, 0 g protein, 0 g sugar, 4 g carbs and 20 mg sodium. This product is sometimes called a Deli Pop.... Kim's Magic Pop products are very low in calories, so dieters can choose all kinds of toppings from savory to sweet. Diners can top Kim's multi-grain snack cakes with fresh fruit, jam, peanut butter, apple butter or almond butter for a sweet snack. Or they can make a savory snack using cream cheese, hummus, sandwich meats or tuna salad. Many low-carb dieters substitute Magic Pop for bread slices to make light sandwiches. Many kids also like Magic Pop products because its neutral flavor, crunchiness and puffy texture. ..." Hope this helps!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Pickles.
    Sun chips.
    Pita chips.
    Sliced cucumbers.
    Low fat or no fat yogurt with chia seeds.
  • vanginmi
    vanginmi Posts: 41
    Options
    I like a single wasa cracker with a laughing cow wedge for my 'crunchy' snack. Not as good as chips but it seems to curb my craving!!!!!!

Good luck.
  • DeboraW_55
    DeboraW_55 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    PRINGLES POTATO CHIPS the Fat Free, you get 15 for 70 calories.
  • Sad_Grandpa
    Sad_Grandpa Posts: 129
    Options
    Please don't shame the potato chips.

Some of us can only dream of them.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    PRINGLES POTATO CHIPS the Fat Free, you get 15 for 70 calories.

That's not food... I think the OP was looking for food.