Options

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    [/quote]Then you don't understand A.
    Best of luck on your journey.
    [/quote]

I understand A very well but good luck to you in using A as your excuse.
  • milliondays
    milliondays Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    They don't. On their current program, people average over 1800 calories a day.
    [/quote]
    That way too high. I had success on it years ago, and wanted to try it again after Atkins & menopause scare. I gained, and I was following it as accuratly as I could. Too many apples!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Then you don't understand A.
    [/quote]

[/quote]I'm at maintenance. And have been for almost 13 years. :flowerforyou:
  • Branstin
    Options

[/quote]I'm at maintenance. And have been for almost 13 years. :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

If you say so. :drinker:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I'm at maintenance. And have been for almost 13 years. :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

[/quote]If I say I'm at maintenance? wow. you're quite the POW.
  • Branstin
    Options
    If I say I'm at maintenance? wow. you're quite the POW.

Yes, if you say so!

Right back at cha!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I still called it bullsh$t because as people age, they become less active, overeat, become overweight, and become more sedentary. Therefore, weight loss become harder based on their inappropriate diets and inactive lifestyles rather than age. My aunt is 62 years old and has been active all of her life and never once had any issues with a slow metabolism or weight loss. There are plenty of people in the "Success Stories" section of this forum who are over 30, 40, etc., who lost weight just fine once they adhered to a proper diet and active lifestyle. The age issue was never a factor for many of them.
    Is it inconceivable that they also just require fewer calories in addition to the reasons under their control? It's been posted that they regenerate less bone. Less cell/tissue regeneration would imply less energy needed.

No one's saying it's impossible to lose when older. Knowing people who did lose 'just fine' would only rule out the impossibility. We don't know how much age was a factor in anyone's weight loss.
  • Branstin
    Options
    I still called it bullsh$t because as people age, they become less active, overeat, become overweight, and become more sedentary. Therefore, weight loss become harder based on their inappropriate diets and inactive lifestyles rather than age. My aunt is 62 years old and has been active all of her life and never once had any issues with a slow metabolism or weight loss. There are plenty of people in the "Success Stories" section of this forum who are over 30, 40, etc., who lost weight just fine once they adhered to a proper diet and active lifestyle. The age issue was never a factor for many of them.
    Is it inconceivable that they also just require fewer calories in addition to the reasons under their control? It's been posted that they regenerate less bone. Less cell/tissue regeneration would imply less energy needed.

No one's saying it's impossible to lose when older. Knowing people who did lose 'just fine' would only rule out the impossibility. We don't know how much age was a factor in anyone's weight loss.

I didn't state anything about reducing calories. I stated proper diet and a healthy lifestyle. At the end of the day, it still boils down to an appropriate diet and a healthy lifestyle whether the person in question is an obese child or a 40+ year old woman. The biggest struggle is finding the balance, not age.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

I didn't state anything about reducing calories. I stated proper diet and a healthy lifestyle. At the end of the day, it still boils down to an appropriate diet and a healthy lifestyle whether the person in question is an obese child or a 40+ year old woman. The biggest struggle is finding the balance, not age.
    For the love of Zod, no one is saying age is the only factor or even the most important factor. Only that it is a factor. How can you not grasp that by this point?
  • Branstin
    Options

For the love of Zod, no one is saying age is the only factor or even the most important factor. Only that it is a factor. How can you not grasp that by this point?

For the love of Zod, God, and anyone else, you are still wrong. How can you not grasp that by this point? Some young women go through menopause at very young ages. They have the same struggles with weight loss as older women. The point remains, age is not the problem. It is their diet and lifestyle.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    They have the same struggles with weight loss as older women.
    Unless you have a struggle-o-meter, there's no way of knowing that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    She's magical. :happy:
  • Branstin
    Options

The same applies to your theories.
  • Branstin
    Options

Nothing magical!

I just chose to live in the 21th Century. :wink:
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

Well, there are actual studies saying age does affect it. It's considered the conventional wisdom.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Nothing magical!

I just chose to live in the 21th Century. :wink:
    lol
  • Branstin
    Options

Well, there are actual studies saying age does affect it. It's considered the conventional wisdom.

How much do you want to bet if those same participants work with the moderators of this forum, especially the personal trainers, authors of the "sticked" threads, and those older adults who lost a significant amount of weight that the age factor wouldn't be much of a factor at all? We'll see what happens to that "conventional wisdom".
  • du6157
    du6157 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same age (54) and I know 1200 feels low, but it's doable. I work out 5-6 days a week running 3-4 miles, bicycling 10-20 miles, and strength training at an intermediate level. I lose when I stay at the 1200 limit, but don't when I go over, and it doesn't matter if I did a 20 mile bike ride that day or not. I know it's tempting to add calories to compensate for workouts, but it will keep you from losing. Make sure you are eating quality proteins and complex carbs to help keep you from feeling hungry. Eat both immediately after a workout to give your body energy to build muscles. I hate to say it, but it's a fantasy that you can eat your exercise calories and still lose weight. Not at our age. Your metabolism just isn't working that hard anymore. I've been eating a 1200-calorie diet for about 2 months, and I can honestly say you get used to it. I do pick one day a week to allow myself a treat; usually a day I have an extended run or ride. There is no denying it is hard work to get fit after 50. But nothing tastes as good as being fit feels. I just keep telling myself that I have a lot of years left in me, and I want them to be healthy, active years, so I just keep moving and counting the calories.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    They don't. On their current program, people average over 1800 calories a day.
    [/quote]
    That way too high. I had success on it years ago, and wanted to try it again after Atkins & menopause scare. I gained, and I was following it as accuratly as I could. Too many apples!
    [/quote]

I gather that most fruit is a "free" food with WW. While I love fruit, it still has calories and needs to be counted. I guess that would bring it up to around 1800 calories.

I sort of did WW years ago to lose baby weight, but was breastfeeding, so had lots of points and lost like crazy.

I would gain on 1800, too. The only days I get that many calories is if I do zumba or kickboxing and an additional heavy workout, which is almost never. Usually, 1600 is around the max I get with exercise. More fuel to the "it's harder to lose when your older" fire -- Yes, a 55-year-old,short, lightly active woman can lose if she eats between 1200-1500 calories a day. 20 years ago, she could lose on 1800-2000. Guess what? 1200 is not a lot of calories and has to be carefully planned to get in all the macros or micros. It is a struggle; it is hard. It's not like anyone over 50 who has trouble losing weight is a lazy fat s*** who wants to lie around all day and stuff herself.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same age (54) and I know 1200 feels low, but it's doable. I work out 5-6 days a week running 3-4 miles, bicycling 10-20 miles, and strength training at an intermediate level. I lose when I stay at the 1200 limit, but don't when I go over, and it doesn't matter if I did a 20 mile bike ride that day or not. I know it's tempting to add calories to compensate for workouts, but it will keep you from losing. Make sure you are eating quality proteins and complex carbs to help keep you from feeling hungry. Eat both immediately after a workout to give your body energy to build muscles. I hate to say it, but it's a fantasy that you can eat your exercise calories and still lose weight. Not at our age. Your metabolism just isn't working that hard anymore. I've been eating a 1200-calorie diet for about 2 months, and I can honestly say you get used to it. I do pick one day a week to allow myself a treat; usually a day I have an extended run or ride. There is no denying it is hard work to get fit after 50. But nothing tastes as good as being fit feels. I just keep telling myself that I have a lot of years left in me, and I want them to be healthy, active years, so I just keep moving and counting the calories.

Terrible advice. You can't possibly know if that person will not lose weight if they eat back an appropriate number of exercise calories. Blanket advice to have people net less than 1200 calories is pretty damn irresponsible.

And who would want to 'get used to' eating so little especially if it's unnecessary.